UC Irvine c/o 2018

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How set are you on attending UCI?

100%! Deposited.
7
23%
Almost there, a little $$ will get me to deposit.
5
16%
On the fence pending visit, scholarship, other school decisions, etc
11
35%
Withdrew
5
16%
I applied for scholly money for negotiating against other peers.
3
10%
 
Total votes: 31

iguazu

Bronze
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby iguazu » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:05 am

rion91 wrote:
spencercross wrote:Safe to assume everyone who went to ASW received the follow up email today from Dean Chemerinsky?

Yep


Feeling left out

User avatar
rion91

Silver
Posts: 968
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby rion91 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:25 am

iguazu wrote:
rion91 wrote:
spencercross wrote:Safe to assume everyone who went to ASW received the follow up email today from Dean Chemerinsky?

Yep


Feeling left out

Did you sir?

Kayak1277

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 12:13 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby Kayak1277 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:17 am

iguazu wrote:
rion91 wrote:
spencercross wrote:Safe to assume everyone who went to ASW received the follow up email today from Dean Chemerinsky?

Yep


Feeling left out


+1

I did SIR, so maybe that's it.

User avatar
rion91

Silver
Posts: 968
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby rion91 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:14 pm

Travel reimbursements will be mailed within next 2 weeks

User avatar
Drowninmyowntears

Bronze
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:10 pm

Do you think there is a possibility to get more money after the deposit deadline? Do we lose all leverage by submitting an SIR?

horseshoe1

New
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby horseshoe1 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:28 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:Do you think there is a possibility to get more money after the deposit deadline? Do we lose all leverage by submitting an SIR?


+1

Were you offered more scholarship money from another school recently?

User avatar
Drowninmyowntears

Bronze
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:54 pm

horseshoe1 wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:Do you think there is a possibility to get more money after the deposit deadline? Do we lose all leverage by submitting an SIR?


+1

Were you offered more scholarship money from another school recently?


Yes. I would just really like to get the most money I can from UCI because it's my top choice but I didn't get a lot of money from them.

User avatar
spencercross

Bronze
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby spencercross » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:13 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:
horseshoe1 wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:Do you think there is a possibility to get more money after the deposit deadline? Do we lose all leverage by submitting an SIR?


+1

Were you offered more scholarship money from another school recently?


Yes. I would just really like to get the most money I can from UCI because it's my top choice but I didn't get a lot of money from them.

According to a user in the class of 2018 thread, SIR is not binding. So if you have additional offers to compare afterwards you could still negotiate. That said, based on the experiences shared here they have been extremely reticent to negotiate with most people this cycle so I wouldn't hold out hope for a major increase.

User avatar
Drowninmyowntears

Bronze
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:22 pm

spencercross wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:
horseshoe1 wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:Do you think there is a possibility to get more money after the deposit deadline? Do we lose all leverage by submitting an SIR?


+1

Were you offered more scholarship money from another school recently?


Yes. I would just really like to get the most money I can from UCI because it's my top choice but I didn't get a lot of money from them.

According to a user in the class of 2018 thread, SIR is not binding. So if you have additional offers to compare afterwards you could still negotiate. That said, based on the experiences shared here they have been extremely reticent to negotiate with most people this cycle so I wouldn't hold out hope for a major increase.


Thanks for the advice! I have also noticed that and was hoping that maybe they were just waiting until after the deadline to be more liberal in distribution of funds....

User avatar
spencercross

Bronze
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby spencercross » Fri May 01, 2015 12:23 pm

Anyone know if there's a deadline to accept your financial aid award? I looked at my original email and on the site, but didn't see anything.

SupremeLaw

New
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby SupremeLaw » Sat May 02, 2015 4:24 pm

spencercross wrote:Anyone know if there's a deadline to accept your financial aid award? I looked at my original email and on the site, but didn't see anything.


i would like to know this as well.

User avatar
spencercross

Bronze
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby spencercross » Sat May 02, 2015 4:28 pm

SupremeLaw wrote:
spencercross wrote:Anyone know if there's a deadline to accept your financial aid award? I looked at my original email and on the site, but didn't see anything.


i would like to know this as well.

I emailed them and they said there is no deadline for accepting federal loans, but you are planning to use them to pay for your tuition and fees they encourage you to accept the offers, complete the entrance counseling and the master promissory notes by first week of July. I would assume the scholarship portion is accepted by you submitting your SIR.

JDBound2015

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:26 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby JDBound2015 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:14 am

Any other pending people hear something recently? I have been complete since mid-January and have heard absolutely nothing since my complete e-mail the day after submitting. At this point UCI is the absolute last school I applied to to give me a decision. I almost wished they just waitlisted me a month ago at this point. I see UCI has a very late response deadline of 4/30 (why they just don't do 4/15 like most other schools I don't understand), however I am hoping that with initial yield data in they will feel comfortable making decisions on the remainder of their apps this week.

KGLaw18

New
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby KGLaw18 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:43 am

JDBound2015 wrote:Any other pending people hear something recently? I have been complete since mid-January and have heard absolutely nothing since my complete e-mail the day after submitting. At this point UCI is the absolute last school I applied to to give me a decision. I almost wished they just waitlisted me a month ago at this point. I see UCI has a very late response deadline of 4/30 (why they just don't do 4/15 like most other schools I don't understand), however I am hoping that with initial yield data in they will feel comfortable making decisions on the remainder of their apps this week.


I checked in with their admissions office late last week and they said they were aiming to get a decision out this week. I remain hopeful! :)

JDBound2015

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:26 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby JDBound2015 » Sat May 09, 2015 1:12 am

KGLaw18 wrote:
JDBound2015 wrote:Any other pending people hear something recently? I have been complete since mid-January and have heard absolutely nothing since my complete e-mail the day after submitting. At this point UCI is the absolute last school I applied to to give me a decision. I almost wished they just waitlisted me a month ago at this point. I see UCI has a very late response deadline of 4/30 (why they just don't do 4/15 like most other schools I don't understand), however I am hoping that with initial yield data in they will feel comfortable making decisions on the remainder of their apps this week.


I checked in with their admissions office late last week and they said they were aiming to get a decision out this week. I remain hopeful! :)


So much for this week. Thus far I've got diddly squat. I get you are a new school Irvine and that excuse flys when its February or March, but at this point in the season you should be able to yield project about just as well as any other law school and therefore be able to get decisions out.

Nickster1991

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:30 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby Nickster1991 » Sat May 09, 2015 3:34 am

Totally agreed. I have been waiting over three months for a decision.

1scout23

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:15 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby 1scout23 » Mon May 11, 2015 12:45 pm

JDBound2015 wrote:
KGLaw18 wrote:
JDBound2015 wrote:Any other pending people hear something recently? I have been complete since mid-January and have heard absolutely nothing since my complete e-mail the day after submitting. At this point UCI is the absolute last school I applied to to give me a decision. I almost wished they just waitlisted me a month ago at this point. I see UCI has a very late response deadline of 4/30 (why they just don't do 4/15 like most other schools I don't understand), however I am hoping that with initial yield data in they will feel comfortable making decisions on the remainder of their apps this week.


I checked in with their admissions office late last week and they said they were aiming to get a decision out this week. I remain hopeful! :)


So much for this week. Thus far I've got diddly squat. I get you are a new school Irvine and that excuse flys when its February or March, but at this point in the season you should be able to yield project about just as well as any other law school and therefore be able to get decisions out.


I definitely agree. Their Admissions Office is definitely the most pleasant one I have communicated with, I will say. As of two weeks ago, right after their deadline, the intended to have all decisions out by last Friday. It's certainly frustrating to not be able to make concrete housing plans or other arrangements, whether for UCI or another school.

User avatar
Cpt Zapp Brannigan

New
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:52 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby Cpt Zapp Brannigan » Tue May 12, 2015 3:20 pm

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la ... story.html

The Chem!!! How awesome would it be if CA adopted the Uniform Bar Exam by the time the class of 2018 graduates?

User avatar
HopefulURM

New
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:54 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby HopefulURM » Mon May 18, 2015 1:04 pm

Still #teamdlsnever

S_erg_S

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 1:50 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby S_erg_S » Sat May 23, 2015 2:05 am

I was waitlisted this week :/ and I am pretty bummed considering UCI is my first choice! But does anyone else have any information about the probability of getting off the waitlist? Also have any of you guys heard that Western State College of Law will be moving its Law School to Irvine in December of this year. Do you think this will hurt the employment possibilities for UCI students considering that Western State is the oldest law school in the OC and has a huge alumni base?

User avatar
TFALAWL

Bronze
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:48 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby TFALAWL » Sat May 23, 2015 2:55 am

S_erg_S wrote:I was waitlisted this week :/ and I am pretty bummed considering UCI is my first choice! But does anyone else have any information about the probability of getting off the waitlist? Also have any of you guys heard that Western State College of Law will be moving its Law School to Irvine in December of this year. Do you think this will hurt the employment possibilities for UCI students considering that Western State is the oldest law school in the OC and has a huge alumni base?


I highly doubt it. I'm currently SA'ing in OC (I go to T-10 on East Coast), and apart from SC/UCLA, UCI is the only SoCal school that has a presence in social big law.

User avatar
rion91

Silver
Posts: 968
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby rion91 » Sat May 23, 2015 3:23 am

S_erg_S wrote:I was waitlisted this week :/ and I am pretty bummed considering UCI is my first choice! But does anyone else have any information about the probability of getting off the waitlist? Also have any of you guys heard that Western State College of Law will be moving its Law School to Irvine in December of this year. Do you think this will hurt the employment possibilities for UCI students considering that Western State is the oldest law school in the OC and has a huge alumni base?

just because it's the biggest doesn't mean it has most leverage.

uci for sure.

GreenMilkTea

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:46 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby GreenMilkTea » Sat May 23, 2015 12:06 pm

S_erg_S wrote: But does anyone else have any information about the probability of getting off the waitlist?


+1

User avatar
nlee10

Gold
Posts: 3015
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby nlee10 » Sat May 23, 2015 10:19 pm

S_erg_S wrote:I was waitlisted this week :/ and I am pretty bummed considering UCI is my first choice! But does anyone else have any information about the probability of getting off the waitlist? Also have any of you guys heard that Western State College of Law will be moving its Law School to Irvine in December of this year. Do you think this will hurt the employment possibilities for UCI students considering that Western State is the oldest law school in the OC and has a huge alumni base?

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/westernstate/

I really don't think Western State will be stealing any jobs from UCI.
:lol:

yamsandmoreyams

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Postby yamsandmoreyams » Sun May 24, 2015 4:57 pm

S_erg_S wrote:I was waitlisted this week :/ and I am pretty bummed considering UCI is my first choice! But does anyone else have any information about the probability of getting off the waitlist? Also have any of you guys heard that Western State College of Law will be moving its Law School to Irvine in December of this year. Do you think this will hurt the employment possibilities for UCI students considering that Western State is the oldest law school in the OC and has a huge alumni base?


I'm a rising 2L at UCI and I've never even heard of Western State until today. Just by virtue of being a new school, every law school UCI competes against for jobs has a bigger alumni base than it. Additionally, I don't think a school with employment numbers like Western State (http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/westernstate) moving into Irvine will have any affect on UCI students getting employment.

Also, I can't give you any concrete numbers on getting off the waitlist, but I know a few people who did for my year, which is still pretty good for a class size of 84. Good luck!



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests