UC Irvine c/o 2018 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How set are you on attending UCI?

100%! Deposited.
23%
Almost there, a little $$ will get me to deposit.
16%
On the fence pending visit, scholarship, other school decisions, etc
35%
Withdrew
16%
I applied for scholly money for negotiating against other peers.
10%

Total votes: 31

iguazu

Bronze

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2018

Post by iguazu » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:05 am

rion91 wrote:
spencercross wrote:Safe to assume everyone who went to ASW received the follow up email today from Dean Chemerinsky?
Yep
Feeling left out

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:25 am

iguazu wrote:
rion91 wrote:
spencercross wrote:Safe to assume everyone who went to ASW received the follow up email today from Dean Chemerinsky?
Yep
Feeling left out
Did you sir?

Kayak1277

New

Post by Kayak1277 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:17 am

iguazu wrote:
rion91 wrote:
Yep
Feeling left out
+1

I did SIR, so maybe that's it.

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:14 pm

Travel reimbursements will be mailed within next 2 weeks

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:10 pm

Do you think there is a possibility to get more money after the deposit deadline? Do we lose all leverage by submitting an SIR?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

horseshoe1

New

Post by horseshoe1 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:28 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:Do you think there is a possibility to get more money after the deposit deadline? Do we lose all leverage by submitting an SIR?
+1

Were you offered more scholarship money from another school recently?

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:54 pm

horseshoe1 wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:Do you think there is a possibility to get more money after the deposit deadline? Do we lose all leverage by submitting an SIR?
+1

Yes. I would just really like to get the most money I can from UCI because it's my top choice but I didn't get a lot of money from them.

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:13 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:
horseshoe1 wrote:
+1

Yes. I would just really like to get the most money I can from UCI because it's my top choice but I didn't get a lot of money from them.
According to a user in the class of 2018 thread, SIR is not binding. So if you have additional offers to compare afterwards you could still negotiate. That said, based on the experiences shared here they have been extremely reticent to negotiate with most people this cycle so I wouldn't hold out hope for a major increase.

Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:22 pm

spencercross wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:
horseshoe1 wrote:
+1

According to a user in the class of 2018 thread, SIR is not binding. So if you have additional offers to compare afterwards you could still negotiate. That said, based on the experiences shared here they have been extremely reticent to negotiate with most people this cycle so I wouldn't hold out hope for a major increase.
Thanks for the advice! I have also noticed that and was hoping that maybe they were just waiting until after the deadline to be more liberal in distribution of funds....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Fri May 01, 2015 12:23 pm

Anyone know if there's a deadline to accept your financial aid award? I looked at my original email and on the site, but didn't see anything.

SupremeLaw

New

Post by SupremeLaw » Sat May 02, 2015 4:24 pm

spencercross wrote:Anyone know if there's a deadline to accept your financial aid award? I looked at my original email and on the site, but didn't see anything.
i would like to know this as well.

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Sat May 02, 2015 4:28 pm

SupremeLaw wrote:
spencercross wrote:Anyone know if there's a deadline to accept your financial aid award? I looked at my original email and on the site, but didn't see anything.
i would like to know this as well.
I emailed them and they said there is no deadline for accepting federal loans, but you are planning to use them to pay for your tuition and fees they encourage you to accept the offers, complete the entrance counseling and the master promissory notes by first week of July. I would assume the scholarship portion is accepted by you submitting your SIR.

JDBound2015

New

Post by JDBound2015 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:14 am

Any other pending people hear something recently? I have been complete since mid-January and have heard absolutely nothing since my complete e-mail the day after submitting. At this point UCI is the absolute last school I applied to to give me a decision. I almost wished they just waitlisted me a month ago at this point. I see UCI has a very late response deadline of 4/30 (why they just don't do 4/15 like most other schools I don't understand), however I am hoping that with initial yield data in they will feel comfortable making decisions on the remainder of their apps this week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KGLaw18

New

Post by KGLaw18 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:43 am

JDBound2015 wrote:Any other pending people hear something recently? I have been complete since mid-January and have heard absolutely nothing since my complete e-mail the day after submitting. At this point UCI is the absolute last school I applied to to give me a decision. I almost wished they just waitlisted me a month ago at this point. I see UCI has a very late response deadline of 4/30 (why they just don't do 4/15 like most other schools I don't understand), however I am hoping that with initial yield data in they will feel comfortable making decisions on the remainder of their apps this week.
I checked in with their admissions office late last week and they said they were aiming to get a decision out this week. I remain hopeful! :)

JDBound2015

New

Post by JDBound2015 » Sat May 09, 2015 1:12 am

KGLaw18 wrote:
JDBound2015 wrote:Any other pending people hear something recently? I have been complete since mid-January and have heard absolutely nothing since my complete e-mail the day after submitting. At this point UCI is the absolute last school I applied to to give me a decision. I almost wished they just waitlisted me a month ago at this point. I see UCI has a very late response deadline of 4/30 (why they just don't do 4/15 like most other schools I don't understand), however I am hoping that with initial yield data in they will feel comfortable making decisions on the remainder of their apps this week.
I checked in with their admissions office late last week and they said they were aiming to get a decision out this week. I remain hopeful! :)
So much for this week. Thus far I've got diddly squat. I get you are a new school Irvine and that excuse flys when its February or March, but at this point in the season you should be able to yield project about just as well as any other law school and therefore be able to get decisions out.

Nickster1991

New

Post by Nickster1991 » Sat May 09, 2015 3:34 am

Totally agreed. I have been waiting over three months for a decision.

1scout23

New

Post by 1scout23 » Mon May 11, 2015 12:45 pm

JDBound2015 wrote:
KGLaw18 wrote:
So much for this week. Thus far I've got diddly squat. I get you are a new school Irvine and that excuse flys when its February or March, but at this point in the season you should be able to yield project about just as well as any other law school and therefore be able to get decisions out.
I definitely agree. Their Admissions Office is definitely the most pleasant one I have communicated with, I will say. As of two weeks ago, right after their deadline, the intended to have all decisions out by last Friday. It's certainly frustrating to not be able to make concrete housing plans or other arrangements, whether for UCI or another school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cpt Zapp Brannigan

New

Post by Cpt Zapp Brannigan » Tue May 12, 2015 3:20 pm

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la ... story.html

The Chem!!! How awesome would it be if CA adopted the Uniform Bar Exam by the time the class of 2018 graduates?

HopefulURM

New

Post by HopefulURM » Mon May 18, 2015 1:04 pm

Still #teamdlsnever

S_erg_S

New

Post by S_erg_S » Sat May 23, 2015 2:05 am

I was waitlisted this week :/ and I am pretty bummed considering UCI is my first choice! But does anyone else have any information about the probability of getting off the waitlist? Also have any of you guys heard that Western State College of Law will be moving its Law School to Irvine in December of this year. Do you think this will hurt the employment possibilities for UCI students considering that Western State is the oldest law school in the OC and has a huge alumni base?

TFALAWL

Bronze

Post by TFALAWL » Sat May 23, 2015 2:55 am

S_erg_S wrote:I was waitlisted this week :/ and I am pretty bummed considering UCI is my first choice! But does anyone else have any information about the probability of getting off the waitlist? Also have any of you guys heard that Western State College of Law will be moving its Law School to Irvine in December of this year. Do you think this will hurt the employment possibilities for UCI students considering that Western State is the oldest law school in the OC and has a huge alumni base?
I highly doubt it. I'm currently SA'ing in OC (I go to T-10 on East Coast), and apart from SC/UCLA, UCI is the only SoCal school that has a presence in social big law.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Sat May 23, 2015 3:23 am

S_erg_S wrote:I was waitlisted this week :/ and I am pretty bummed considering UCI is my first choice! But does anyone else have any information about the probability of getting off the waitlist? Also have any of you guys heard that Western State College of Law will be moving its Law School to Irvine in December of this year. Do you think this will hurt the employment possibilities for UCI students considering that Western State is the oldest law school in the OC and has a huge alumni base?
just because it's the biggest doesn't mean it has most leverage.

uci for sure.

GreenMilkTea

New

Post by GreenMilkTea » Sat May 23, 2015 12:06 pm

S_erg_S wrote: But does anyone else have any information about the probability of getting off the waitlist?
+1

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Sat May 23, 2015 10:19 pm

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/westernstate/

I really don't think Western State will be stealing any jobs from UCI.
:lol:

yamsandmoreyams

New

Post by yamsandmoreyams » Sun May 24, 2015 4:57 pm

I'm a rising 2L at UCI and I've never even heard of Western State until today. Just by virtue of being a new school, every law school UCI competes against for jobs has a bigger alumni base than it. Additionally, I don't think a school with employment numbers like Western State (http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/westernstate) moving into Irvine will have any affect on UCI students getting employment.

Also, I can't give you any concrete numbers on getting off the waitlist, but I know a few people who did for my year, which is still pretty good for a class size of 84. Good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”