University of South Carolina Law Class of 2018 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Re: University of South Carolina Law Class of 2018

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:06 pm

bluehose wrote:Any idea when scholarship information will go out? It may have been in the acceptance letter, but I can't remember at the moment and am at work. Has anyone this year heard anything? Or, can any current students share an estimated timeline, if possible?
I received mine with my acceptance, but I didn't hear back till late winter/early spring. You should get information about scholarship if you receive any by February or March 1 at the latest. Out of state students got at least an in state waiver, but I can't confirm if that will continue.

bluehose

New

Post by bluehose » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:18 pm

CoffeeIsLife wrote:
bluehose wrote:Any idea when scholarship information will go out? It may have been in the acceptance letter, but I can't remember at the moment and am at work. Has anyone this year heard anything? Or, can any current students share an estimated timeline, if possible?
I received mine with my acceptance, but I didn't hear back till late winter/early spring. You should get information about scholarship if you receive any by February or March 1 at the latest. Out of state students got at least an in state waiver, but I can't confirm if that will continue.
I will definitely check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure that scholarship money wasn't mentioned. Hopefully soon? I'm in state and above the 75% for both LSAT and GPA, so I'm hoping that I can get some decent money. Maybe? :) How do you like living in Columbia?

ayl

Bronze

Post by ayl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:47 pm

Scholarship info should be included with the acceptance letter on a separate piece of paper. I recall last year that the in-state equalizer rolled out later for some people, but I think many/most hear by the time Accepted Students Day comes along.

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:04 pm

bluehose wrote:
CoffeeIsLife wrote:
I will definitely check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure that scholarship money wasn't mentioned. Hopefully soon? I'm in state and above the 75% for both LSAT and GPA, so I'm hoping that I can get some decent money. Maybe? :) How do you like living in Columbia?
I enjoy living in Columbia. There is plenty to do ranging from restaurants, bars, a top-5 zoo, and great opportunities to see the water whether it is a river, lake or a nearby ocean. I will say though, it can get humid but I enjoy being able to wear shorts in January.

jepper

Bronze

Post by jepper » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:06 pm

CoffeeIsLife wrote:
bluehose wrote:
CoffeeIsLife wrote:
I enjoy living in Columbia. There is plenty to do ranging from restaurants, bars, a top-5 zoo, and great opportunities to see the water whether it is a river, lake or a nearby ocean. I will say though, it can get humid but I enjoy being able to wear shorts in January.

I have lived in Cola my whole life. I agree, there is a lot to do. But lets face it, aint nobody going to the zoo.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ayl

Bronze

Post by ayl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:17 pm

I went to the zoo :( haha but I'm from Charleston and hadn't been since elementary school. It's really nice! As are the gardens.

kva

New

Post by kva » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:54 pm

I called the admissions office. I told them I got my acceptance letter and was wondering when they would be making scholarship decisions. They said in March we would be hearing if we got scholarships.

bluehose

New

Post by bluehose » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:34 pm

kva wrote:I called the admissions office. I told them I got my acceptance letter and was wondering when they would be making scholarship decisions. They said in March we would be hearing if we got scholarships.
Awesome! Thanks for letting everyone know! I was actually just about to pick up the phone to call, but thought I would check on here first :)

Tlsuserprofile

New

Post by Tlsuserprofile » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:05 am

For those of you who have been accepted, approximately how long were you in the "in review" stage before a decision was made?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bluehose

New

Post by bluehose » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:34 am

Tlsuserprofile wrote:For those of you who have been accepted, approximately how long were you in the "in review" stage before a decision was made?
Submitted the end of September, "File is Complete" status a few days later. From what I recall, the status stayed at File Complete until early December, at which time everything disappeared. No "Under Review" status at any point, and the previous File Complete status & some other information was missing. Stayed this way until I received my acceptance letter via snail mail on December 24th. I also checked my online status regularly and those are the only changes I noticed. Hope that helps.

kva

New

Post by kva » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:51 am

To current USC students - I booked a trip out of state during the Admitted Students Day. I was looking at the topics online, and it looks like the information would be very helpful. Do they review similar information during the orientation in August or will I be missing out by not attending in March?

ayl

Bronze

Post by ayl » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:08 am

kva wrote:To current USC students - I booked a trip out of state during the Admitted Students Day. I was looking at the topics online, and it looks like the information would be very helpful. Do they review similar information during the orientation in August or will I be missing out by not attending in March?
I actually found ASD and Orientation to be quite different. Orientation is more similar to Kick Start, and it actually gears you towards what you'll need during your first semester. Honestly, I feel like ASD is more about meeting future classmates and getting a feel for the area. It's not essential to attend, but it was at the very least entertaining.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:17 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kva

New

Post by kva » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:33 am

To Current Students - what are your thoughts on purchasing e-books to minimize the amount of weight we are carrying around?

ayl

Bronze

Post by ayl » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:49 am

kva wrote:To Current Students - what are your thoughts on purchasing e-books to minimize the amount of weight we are carrying around?
Most, if not all, of your first semester profs will not allow electronics in class, so it's probably not the best idea. Although we're allowed to use computers now, I only know of one person with an e-book (for a supplement), and she would prefer to have a print version of it after trying the Kindle option.

Also, you do get a locker! Just bring your own lock and snag one when you can.

As an aside, rent your textbooks from Amazon or half.com, or the school's bookstore for the rare moment that's cheaper than Amazon. Don't purchase them. You won't need them after the semester.

Jrstark

New

Post by Jrstark » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:47 pm

Should be receiving my acceptance/denial letter in the mail tomorrow, and I could not be more nervous right now. For those who have already been accepted, what were some of y'all's scores?

bluesandgreens

New

Post by bluesandgreens » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:09 pm

are scholarships usually emailed or mailed?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ayl

Bronze

Post by ayl » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:11 pm

bluesandgreens wrote:are scholarships usually emailed or mailed?
From my experience, everything was mailed. I don't believe they email anything directly related to acceptance or scholarship, except for when later this year you'll deal with SSC preparing for enrollment.

If you haven't heard anything yet, don't think it means you won't! During ASD last year, not everyone, especially out of state students, had heard back yet about scholarship amount.

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:13 pm

bluesandgreens wrote:are scholarships usually emailed or mailed?
I got mine in both, but that was mostly because my timeline was different and I didn't realize I had received what I had since I was out of state. Generally it comes with the acceptance especially later in the cycle.

Jrstark

New

Post by Jrstark » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:04 pm

Got my acceptance letter in the mail today! Such an enormous load off my shoulders! Cocks!

ayl

Bronze

Post by ayl » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:18 pm

Jrstark wrote:Got my acceptance letter in the mail today! Such an enormous load off my shoulders! Cocks!
Congratulations! Hope you'll be joining us in the fall :) Feel free to message any questions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jrstark

New

Post by Jrstark » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:10 pm

ayl wrote:
Jrstark wrote:Got my acceptance letter in the mail today! Such an enormous load off my shoulders! Cocks!
Congratulations! Hope you'll be joining us in the fall :) Feel free to message any questions.
Thanks man! Do you have any recommendations on an area to grab a house/apartment? Also, what's the average house/apartment going to run me for rent?

ayl

Bronze

Post by ayl » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:12 pm

Jrstark wrote:Thanks man! Do you have any recommendations on an area to grab a house/apartment? Also, what's the average house/apartment going to run me for rent?
As far as where to grab a house or apartment, I'm currently living in Senate Plaza. It's right across the street (literally, not a few blocks down) from where the new law school building is going up. A handful of my classmates live here. I've really liked it so far, and plan to renew if and until I commute from Charleston.

I believe a number of people are at Aspyre (I've heard good and bad things about there), and some people have homes in Rosewood or Elmwood (haven't heard anything bad about those). I'm not sure about the other apartment complexes, but I would advise against Copper Beech. One of my classmates had her truck broken into there within the first couple of weeks.

If you contact student affairs, they are extremely helpful on finding a place to live. One woman offered to drive around looking at places for me in the spring (since I was still working in Charleston)!

Rent will differ greatly on where you choose to end up. I'm currently paying $925 for a one bed apartment (~800 sq ft) at Senate Plaza, but that includes one parking space in the garage (over $800 normally), electricity, water, garbage, and basic cable. To me, this is really quite cheap compared to where I'm from, but to others that seemed insanely expensive. I believe if you're sharing, you'll probably hit around $400-$500 exclusive of utilities, but again, it varies so much depending on where you end up.

Wendelsr

New

Post by Wendelsr » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:40 pm

Congrats! :D

What state do you live in? Mine said mailed last Friday and still hasn't made its way to my mailbox. I am hoping its just because they waited a few days before actually sending it, but its making me crazy!

Jrstark

New

Post by Jrstark » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:18 pm

Wendelsr wrote:

Congrats! :D

What state do you live in? Mine said mailed last Friday and still hasn't made its way to my mailbox. I am hoping its just because they waited a few days before actually sending it, but its making me crazy!
I know how you feel! It was driving me crazy too as it said mine was mailed on Friday as well. Met the mailman at the mailbox everyday. I live in North Carolina, in Raleigh specifically, so I'm not sure why it took so long.

Has anyone set up the Facebook page for the Class of 18 yet??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”