George Washington c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
betty_bojangles

Bronze

Re: George Washington c/o 2018 Applicants (2014-2015 Cycle)

Post by betty_bojangles » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:56 pm

Kaizen428 wrote:If you haven't received a merit scholarship (email) then I think it is safe to say at this time that you are not getting one. However, you can confirm this if you email admissions and ask what the status is. And if you didn't get an initial scholarship then you can ask to be considered, in which they will likely put you on a list and get back to you by April 13 (if you didn't get an initial scholarship the April 1 deadline is irrelevant).

If you were offered a scholarship you have until April 1 to deposit and claim it. If you don't make that deposit on April 1 it doesn't necessarily mean you are withdrawing, it just means the school no longer has to give you that money if you decide to matriculate. At least that's how I interpret everything.

So if you wouldn't matriculate with your current offer, it should be safe to not deposit and continue negotiating $$ after the April 1st deadline, correct? Any reason this wouldn't work?

idissent

Bronze

Post by idissent » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:13 pm

betty_bojangles wrote:
Kaizen428 wrote:If you haven't received a merit scholarship (email) then I think it is safe to say at this time that you are not getting one. However, you can confirm this if you email admissions and ask what the status is. And if you didn't get an initial scholarship then you can ask to be considered, in which they will likely put you on a list and get back to you by April 13 (if you didn't get an initial scholarship the April 1 deadline is irrelevant).

If you were offered a scholarship you have until April 1 to deposit and claim it. If you don't make that deposit on April 1 it doesn't necessarily mean you are withdrawing, it just means the school no longer has to give you that money if you decide to matriculate. At least that's how I interpret everything.

So if you wouldn't matriculate with your current offer, it should be safe to not deposit and continue negotiating $$ after the April 1st deadline, correct? Any reason this wouldn't work?
A few pages back, I think the financial aid office indicated that they wouldn't entertain negotiations until April 13, requiring you to put down the deposit. If you could potentially attend pending negotiation, I think you have to make it past the first deposit.

retirw

New

Post by retirw » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:48 pm

LFCNY9 wrote:

Thanks for clarifying - this would all make the most sense. I think I'll email admissions to double check on their scholarship status.
If you don't mind sharing what their response is; I was accepted at the beginning of March and haven't heard anything regarding scholarships yet either.

Kaizen428

New

Post by Kaizen428 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:50 pm

betty_bojangles wrote:

I don't think they will negotiate with you if you've been offered a scholarship but didn't deposit on the 1st. If you got a scholarship but don't deposit by the 1st, that scholarship money goes back in the pot. It seems that the only people who will be able to negotiate after April 1st are those who didn't receive an initial scholarship at all and are waiting to be considered AND those who did receive one and deposited by the April 1st deadline and want to try and get bumped.

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Post by betty_bojangles » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:59 pm

idissent wrote:
betty_bojangles wrote:

A few pages back, I think the financial aid office indicated that they wouldn't entertain negotiations until April 13, requiring you to put down the deposit. If you could potentially attend pending negotiation, I think you have to make it past the first deposit.

Damn you, GW! :evil:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

refugeelawyer26

New

Post by refugeelawyer26 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:51 pm

anyone know when we should start hearing back regarding the wait list??

cafecreme15

New

Post by cafecreme15 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:59 pm

To those of you who have already sent an email about scholarship negotiation, which email address did you send your letter to?

Edited to add: Did everyone who already attempted to get a higher merit offer include information about other, better offers they received from peer schools? Since GW is the best offer I have on the table right now, would it be terribly rude to try and get them up a little more without info on other offers?

capsoccer

New

Post by capsoccer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:37 pm

cafecreme15 wrote:To those of you who have already sent an email about scholarship negotiation, which email address did you send your letter to?

Edited to add: Did everyone who already attempted to get a higher merit offer include information about other, better offers they received from peer schools? Since GW is the best offer I have on the table right now, would it be terribly rude to try and get them up a little more without info on other offers?
I included a higher offer from a peer school and a competing offer from another peer school (about two weeks ago). Received the same response it seems like everyone else is (deposit April 1st to be considered for scholly increase)

ek5dn

Bronze

Post by ek5dn » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:57 pm

I got in on 3/13, but haven't heard anything yet about merit scholarship. Should I reach out (considering deposit deadline is approaching)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

steal

New

Post by steal » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:51 pm

Is anyone going to preview day this Friday?

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:12 am

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

steal

New

Post by steal » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:13 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
steal wrote:Is anyone going to preview day this Friday?
Yup!

Awesome! Me too!

lawdoggy

Bronze

Post by lawdoggy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:07 am

Wish I could make it :cry:

Anyone here considering section 15?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anxiousAF

New

Post by anxiousAF » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:01 am

steal wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Yup!

Awesome! Me too!
I'll be there!

anxiousAF

New

Post by anxiousAF » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:07 am

lawdoggy wrote:Wish I could make it :cry:

Definitely considering it. I made it through college with no Friday classes and I loved that. I'm just wondering what the catch is. Would love to hear some first hand accounts!

lawdoggy

Bronze

Post by lawdoggy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:30 am

anxiousAF wrote:
lawdoggy wrote:Wish I could make it :cry:

Definitely considering it. I made it through college with no Friday classes and I loved that. I'm just wondering what the catch is. Would love to hear some first hand accounts!

I think the only real catch is that you have classes Mon-Thurs that end ~9:00 PM. So I dunno, it sounds good, but I don't think I'd be able to make myself get up to do my reading. Although I guess I technically could do it late at night.

HopefulURM

New

Post by HopefulURM » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:09 pm

steal wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Yup!

Awesome! Me too!
I'll be there, say hello

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

futurel@wyer

New

Post by futurel@wyer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:50 pm

BU and BC gave me the same amount of money. do you think there is anyway to play them against each other?
GW also gave me the same amount and would be a lower COL because I could commute from home but that did not cause BU to raise my offer.

if i double deposited at BU and BC do you think my scholly would increase?

or is BC/BU and GW a better double deposit?

ideally i want to end up in boston but with more scholly money

thanks in advance!

Nina8182

New

Post by Nina8182 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:52 pm

+1

still

Bronze

Post by still » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:20 pm

so i got an email from gw financial aid office saying all my materials are complete and my offer is ready to view

i see an award for 2015-16 that is split in 3 parts. federal direct gradplus loan-law, federal direct unsubsidized stafford, and law-need based tuition grant
i believe a merit scholarship is not part of this offer. I was accepted in 1/23 and most people with my stats get upwards of 75k?

should i contact the admissions office?

thx

anxiousAF

New

Post by anxiousAF » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:27 pm

still wrote:so i got an email from gw financial aid office saying all my materials are complete and my offer is ready to view

i see an award for 2015-16 that is split in 3 parts. federal direct gradplus loan-law, federal direct unsubsidized stafford, and law-need based tuition grant
i believe a merit scholarship is not part of this offer. I was accepted in 1/23 and most people with my stats get upwards of 75k?

should i contact the admissions office?

thx
I had the same financial aid award package, and emailed them, and they told me that the scholarship committee would reevaluate all applicants in the next few weeks (aka after april 1st deadline) and then email you if you have received a merit scholarship. Radio silence means no offer. I would email them, but I imagine they would give you the same standard answer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ek5dn

Bronze

Post by ek5dn » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:47 pm

To update: Just got my merit offer and the email said I have until April 9th to accept and deposit.

ETA: "Students receiving merit scholarships in the amount of $16,000/year or greater are not be eligible for need-based grants. "
First, typo...and second, whaaat? No need-based grants?!

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Post by betty_bojangles » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:09 pm

ek5dn wrote:To update: Just got my merit offer and the email said I have until April 9th to accept and deposit.

ETA: "Students receiving merit scholarships in the amount of $16,000/year or greater are not be eligible for need-based grants. "
First, typo...and second, whaaat? No need-based grants?!
Mine said that too, but they emailed me recently saying "Your financial aid file is incomplete blah blah" - maybe they just mean for loans?

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:04 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

SupremeLaw

New

Post by SupremeLaw » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:30 pm

So the consensus is that you can't negotiate the scholarship offer unless you submit the deposit by April 1st?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”