Miami Law c/o 2018 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
laura1323

New

Re: Miami Law c/o 2018 Applicants

Post by laura1323 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:25 pm

irishamerican wrote:
laura1323 wrote:admitted via the status checker today! I applied 2 days ago... so I thought it was some kind of joke to be accepted that soon. How long after acceptance do you hear about scholarships??
I'm legitimately in the same shoes as you! I applied Wednesday and got in via status checker today! xD
Nice, congrats! I think Miami deserves the award for fastest turn around for a decision!

irishamerican

New

Post by irishamerican » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:28 pm

laura1323 wrote:Nice, congrats! I think Miami deserves the award for fastest turn around for a decision!
Congrats to you as well! (:
And you're definitely right. ...especially after sending an email talking about how it would take a week to get the physical application.

Itstatertot

Bronze

Post by Itstatertot » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:13 pm

iguazu wrote:
Jmlstern wrote:GPA: 3.83
LSAT: 162
From top undergrad school

Offered $35k per year. Tried to negotiate more but they flat-out said no.
That's awful. I was counting on negotiating them up to full, but darn it

Damn... in the same boat as you, and was hoping for more $$ too :( Weird how they aren't willing to negotiate at all.

32k a year

nv93

Bronze

Post by nv93 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:06 pm

I am going to apply soon, just waiting on LSAC to upload the Feb scores. It's agonizing. How generous is Miami with grants and scholarships?

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:01 pm

Just sent a scholarship negotiation letter. I'm already getting a decent amount, but I'm hoping I can get a little more. If they say no (which I'm accepting) I'm gonna withdraw... so money in the pot for the rest of you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

irishamerican

New

Post by irishamerican » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:16 pm

To anyone who has been admitted to the Public Interest Scholars program: how were you notified of your acceptance? With admissions information in the mail? Separately?

Thanks in advance!

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:20 am

MikeM-law wrote:
iguazu wrote:Regretting that I didn't apply for Miami scholars. Oh well lesson learned
+1
You have until April 1st to apply.

hotasaflamingcheetoh

New

Post by hotasaflamingcheetoh » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:56 pm

I'm flying to Miami for their ASW. Anybody else gonna check it out?

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:02 pm

hotasaflamingcheetoh wrote:I'm flying to Miami for their ASW. Anybody else gonna check it out?
I was going to, but they don't give stipends (i'm 2000 miles away). Have fun though. Take advantage of the open bar (if there is one)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hotasaflamingcheetoh

New

Post by hotasaflamingcheetoh » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:29 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
hotasaflamingcheetoh wrote:I'm flying to Miami for their ASW. Anybody else gonna check it out?
I was going to, but they don't give stipends (i'm 2000 miles away). Have fun though. Take advantage of the open bar (if there is one)
LOL. RT^

Yeah I called them before to see but they don't give stipends. I'm in Los Angeles, but I've never been to MIA and figured I might wanna visit the city even if I don't choose the school.

irishamerican

New

Post by irishamerican » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:12 am

Something to consider for those of you who are going to visit Miami for the first time:

UM is not actually /in/ Miami. It's more in Coral Gables, which is south of Miami. You can get their by the main train line, though, which is fairly easy to use to get from the airport to the city and then to UM and elsewhere. Just keep in mind location when booking a hotel. And also keep in mind that the city is not South Beach. If you're more into clubs and nightlife, you'll want to visit SB, though there definitely are some cool places to see if you're in the city, too. Go to Bayfront Park, get a daiquiri, and sit and listen to some live music on the water while you watch the cruise ships and yachts. But that's just for if you're in the city. Obviously, plan to spend most of your time more in the Gables and right around UM.

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:28 am

irishamerican wrote:Something to consider for those of you who are going to visit Miami for the first time:

UM is not actually /in/ Miami. It's more in Coral Gables, which is south of Miami. You can get their by the main train line, though, which is fairly easy to use to get from the airport to the city and then to UM and elsewhere. Just keep in mind location when booking a hotel. And also keep in mind that the city is not South Beach. If you're more into clubs and nightlife, you'll want to visit SB, though there definitely are some cool places to see if you're in the city, too. Go to Bayfront Park, get a daiquiri, and sit and listen to some live music on the water while you watch the cruise ships and yachts. But that's just for if you're in the city. Obviously, plan to spend most of your time more in the Gables and right around UM.
Also, if you're a foodie or into checking out the bar scene and nightlift, right down the street is Coconut Grove with a bunch of cool bars and restaurants. A little bit a drive away from campus is Brickell, which has a lot of good bars and clubs. I think Brickell is the best spot if you're not trying to spend >$100.

michiarmen

New

Post by michiarmen » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:58 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:
irishamerican wrote:Something to consider for those of you who are going to visit Miami for the first time:

Also, if you're a foodie or into checking out the bar scene and nightlift, right down the street is Coconut Grove with a bunch of cool bars and restaurants. A little bit a drive away from campus is Brickell, which has a lot of good bars and clubs. I think Brickell is the best spot if you're not trying to spend >$100.
I live in Miami and Brickell is a lot of fun! Definitely worth a visit! It's like 20 minutes from coconut grove I would imagine maybe 25-30 minutes with traffic from the gables but that's for everything in Miami. Brickell has an awesome bar called blackbird ordinary things start to pick up around 11pm - remember things in Miami close around 5/6am. The restaurant next to blackbird is open all night and it's AMAZING called La Moon it's a Colombian burger/hot dog/everything great place. The broken shaker is a great bar near south beach it's pretty awesome have ping pong tables and jenga and all sorts of fun stuff. If you out of towners have any questions let me know!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hotasaflamingcheetoh

New

Post by hotasaflamingcheetoh » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:26 pm

michiarmen wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:

I live in Miami and Brickell is a lot of fun! Definitely worth a visit! It's like 20 minutes from coconut grove I would imagine maybe 25-30 minutes with traffic from the gables but that's for everything in Miami. Brickell has an awesome bar called blackbird ordinary things start to pick up around 11pm - remember things in Miami close around 5/6am. The restaurant next to blackbird is open all night and it's AMAZING called La Moon it's a Colombian burger/hot dog/everything great place. The broken shaker is a great bar near south beach it's pretty awesome have ping pong tables and jenga and all sorts of fun stuff. If you out of towners have any questions let me know!
Damn. Thanks for all the hot tips, everyone. I'll be referencing this page while I'm there. I've been trying to find an affordable hotel or motel or something all day and everything there is so expensive. These prices are worse than VEGAS. No joke. Is it Spring break or something? Anyway, if you have advice that isn't on kayak or Priceline and what not, please advise.

laura1323

New

Post by laura1323 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Look into airbnb !

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:50 pm

The school's website has a list of hotels that offer a discounted price for UM. You just have to tell them you're booking to visit UM and they'll give you a discount when booking it. Let me know if you need help finding the list on their website.

hotasaflamingcheetoh

New

Post by hotasaflamingcheetoh » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:38 am

dasani13 wrote:The school's website has a list of hotels that offer a discounted price for UM. You just have to tell them you're booking to visit UM and they'll give you a discount when booking it. Let me know if you need help finding the list on their website.
Thanks laura1323. I checked it out and some of the prices are similar to the hotels that I looked at so I'll keep browsing to see if any come up.

Dasani13, thanks as well. I looked on the site and this is the link I found:

http://www.miami.edu/finance/index.php/ ... 014_rates/

Unfortunately, it doesn't open. I tried another browser. Didn't work there. It just opens as blank. Am I clicking on the wrong link?

Thanks. Also, do you guys go to University of Miami?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:35 am

hotasaflamingcheetoh wrote:
dasani13 wrote:The school's website has a list of hotels that offer a discounted price for UM. You just have to tell them you're booking to visit UM and they'll give you a discount when booking it. Let me know if you need help finding the list on their website.
Thanks laura1323. I checked it out and some of the prices are similar to the hotels that I looked at so I'll keep browsing to see if any come up.

Unfortunately, it doesn't open. I tried another browser. Didn't work there. It just opens as blank. Am I clicking on the wrong link?

This is the link someone from the law school sent me:
http://www.miami.edu/dcie/index.php/iep ... on/hotels/

and nope, I didn't go there for undergrad.

laura1323

New

Post by laura1323 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:41 am

hotasaflamingcheetoh wrote: Thanks laura1323. I checked it out and some of the prices are similar to the hotels that I looked at so I'll keep browsing to see if any come up.

No, I went to UF and UCF, but I had an alright experience couch surfing in Miami and thats free. You can try looking into that, maybe a UM student will host you.

tortsandtiaras

Bronze

Post by tortsandtiaras » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:43 am

laura1323 wrote:
hotasaflamingcheetoh wrote: Thanks laura1323. I checked it out and some of the prices are similar to the hotels that I looked at so I'll keep browsing to see if any come up.

No, I went to UF and UCF, but I had an alright experience couch surfing in Miami and thats free. You can try looking into that, maybe a UM student will host you.
I went to UM and am from Miami... I can agree that people are very friendly and would have no problem hosting you for free. Miami is way way too expensive to stay at a hotel for even one night.

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:38 pm

Anyone committed to attending Miami this fall? I sent in my seat deposit about a week ago. I'm thinking of starting up a Miami c/o 2018 thread.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gatorgirl94

New

Post by gatorgirl94 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:06 pm

dasani13 wrote:
MikeM-law wrote:
iguazu wrote:Regretting that I didn't apply for Miami scholars. Oh well lesson learned
+1
Can you applied after being accepted to UM Law regularly or no?

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:17 pm

gatorgirl94 wrote:
dasani13 wrote:
MikeM-law wrote:
+1
Can you applied after being accepted to UM Law regularly or no?
Yep! That's what I did and I got Miami Scholars. Just download the supplemental form here - http://www.law.miami.edu/financial-aid/ ... m.php?op=4 . And then just fill it out and submit it! Good luck! :mrgreen:

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:20 pm

If any of y'all are seriously considering or committed to attending Miami Law, go check out the Miami c/o 2018 thread here - http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=244894

MikeM-law

Bronze

Post by MikeM-law » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:43 pm

Anyone at at UM right now?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”