International Applicants 2014-15

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you headed this fall?

Harvard/Yale/Stanford
24%
Columbia/NYU
10%
Chicago
3%
Penn
3%
UVA/Duke
3%
Berkely
1%
Mich/Northwestern
6%
Cornell
5%
Georgetown
8%
Other
39%

Total votes: 80

Brady199

Re: International Applicants 2014-15

Postby Brady199 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:08 am

Got my VISA :D

#GoDUKE

Hendo22

Postby Hendo22 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:48 pm

Hi,
I'm a new member of this forum and I have a question. I'm from Germany, lived in the USA for one year and I always wanted to come back to go to law school after I got my UG degree back home.
I didn't take the LSAT yet, but I think that my grades won't be good enough for the T14 schools, so I'm looking at schools like the U of Miami, Tennessee or Florida.
Could you tell me how chances in general are to get into schools from the T60/ T70 as a german citizen? (If I get a solid LSAT score of course)
I've heard that some schools don't really like applications from certain countries, because they're overrepresented in the USA?

Have a nice sunday!

Iwanttolawschool

Postby Iwanttolawschool » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:13 pm

Hendo22 wrote:Hi,
I'm a new member of this forum and I have a question. I'm from Germany, lived in the USA for one year and I always wanted to come back to go to law school after I got my UG degree back home.
I didn't take the LSAT yet, but I think that my grades won't be good enough for the T14 schools, so I'm looking at schools like the U of Miami, Tennessee or Florida.
Could you tell me how chances in general are to get into schools from the T60/ T70 as a german citizen? (If I get a solid LSAT score of course)
I've heard that some schools don't really like applications from certain countries, because they're overrepresented in the USA?

Have a nice sunday!

Being an international did not seem to be a deterrent for me. I highly doubt admission officers are scrutinizing applicants because there are "too many Germans in Miami already."

Hand

Postby Hand » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:29 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote:
Hendo22 wrote:Hi,

Have a nice sunday!

Being an international did not seem to be a deterrent for me. I highly doubt admission officers are scrutinizing applicants because there are "too many Germans in Miami already."

Yeah don't worry about this. It's not like you're applying to law school in Greece as a German. You should be more worried about the employment prospects for graduates from these schools.

alexx

Postby alexx » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:33 pm

Checking in! I am from Beijing but I am now a rising senior at an American university, and I am taking my lsat in October!!

Hand

Postby Hand » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:27 pm

alexx wrote:Checking in! I am from Beijing but I am now a rising senior at an American university, and I am taking my lsat in October!!

This is the international's thread from the application cycle that's more or less over now. There's a new one here, though, that may be (or at least become) more useful: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=249086

Babum

Postby Babum » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:15 pm

As an international, I applied to UM and got in, no problem + scholly.

fisheatbananas

Postby fisheatbananas » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:18 am

question for current international students or graduates (but i think this might be helpful for people in the 2014-15 application cycle as well)

what do you think about working at an american law firm's branch in your home country for your 1L or 2L summer? it seems to me that it might be easier to land the summer position especially if you have connections in your home country, but would this make it more difficult to land a summer associate job the following summer, or a job in the US post graduation? my goal is to work in america after graduation (not trying to start a discussion about h1b, green card etc)

Babum

Postby Babum » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:50 pm

fisheatbananas wrote:question for current international students or graduates (but i think this might be helpful for people in the 2014-15 application cycle as well)

what do you think about working at an american law firm's branch in your home country for your 1L or 2L summer? it seems to me that it might be easier to land the summer position especially if you have connections in your home country, but would this make it more difficult to land a summer associate job the following summer, or a job in the US post graduation? my goal is to work in america after graduation (not trying to start a discussion about h1b, green card etc)

There are two options. While working at an American law firm in your home country might be prestigious, your 1L Summer should also be about figuring out your place in the American legal field. I'd recommend doing some work (even public interest/government) during your 1L Summer. Then again, I know nothing.

fisheatbananas

Postby fisheatbananas » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:34 pm

Babum wrote:
fisheatbananas wrote:question for current international students or graduates (but i think this might be helpful for people in the 2014-15 application cycle as well)

There are two options. While working at an American law firm in your home country might be prestigious, your 1L Summer should also be about figuring out your place in the American legal field. I'd recommend doing some work (even public interest/government) during your 1L Summer. Then again, I know nothing.

thank you. by 'figuring out your place in the american legal field' did you mean this as something to do for yourself and find out what kind of work you would like to do, or because it could hurt your chances to work in america the following summer or post grad?

Babum

Postby Babum » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:05 pm

fisheatbananas wrote:
Babum wrote:

thank you. by 'figuring out your place in the american legal field' did you mean this as something to do for yourself and find out what kind of work you would like to do, or because it could hurt your chances to work in america the following summer or post grad?

I don't think it would hurt your chances, I say it so that you can find out what you like. Also, if you have never worked in the US before (or in a foreign country for that matter), you might realize that you don't like it as much as you thought you did.

fisheatbananas

Postby fisheatbananas » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:14 pm

Babum wrote:
fisheatbananas wrote:
Babum wrote:

I don't think it would hurt your chances, I say it so that you can find out what you like. Also, if you have never worked in the US before (or in a foreign country for that matter), you might realize that you don't like it as much as you thought you did.

ok i see. ive worked in america and my home country and i liked both. this might change but i hope to work in america post grad for family reasons.

alice1990

Postby alice1990 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:14 pm

Is anyone still active on this thread? I'm applying this cycle andI have a major issue with my CAS evaluation.

While it says that my overall amount of US-comparable education in a Master's degree, it says that my BA (which I completed in Italy) is only comparable to 3 years of undergrad. So the whole "BA-equivalent institution information" at the top of my report is BLANK. Never mind that both my transcripts were evaluated as superior. :x Would that prejudice my applications? If so, what do you guys suggest I should do? Thanks!

Babum

Postby Babum » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:51 pm

alice1990 wrote:Is anyone still active on this thread? I'm applying this cycle andI have a major issue with my CAS evaluation.

While it says that my overall amount of US-comparable education in a Master's degree, it says that my BA (which I completed in Italy) is only comparable to 3 years of undergrad. So the whole "BA-equivalent institution information" at the top of my report is BLANK. Never mind that both my transcripts were evaluated as superior. :x Would that prejudice my applications? If so, what do you guys suggest I should do? Thanks!

The LSAC might have made a mistake, I would try to contact them and check. Else, you might want to ask admissions.

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:21 pm

Babum wrote:
alice1990 wrote:Is anyone still active on this thread? I'm applying this cycle andI have a major issue with my CAS evaluation.

The LSAC might have made a mistake, I would try to contact them and check. Else, you might want to ask admissions.

If you have completed your 3-year BA and a subsequent (what assume to be) 2-year MA in the same foreign country, you should be fine: although you haven't completed any single program that is equivalent to a U.S. BA (your three year degree falls short, your foreign MA exceeds it), you have completed studies sufficient for admission--since your overall level of education is equivalent to a U.S. master's degree. If you completed your foreign MA in a different European country that also follows the Bologna-model, you should also be fine, for the same reason. If you completed your MA somewhere else, things might get complicated. Either way, it won't hurt to ask the schools you're applying to, just to make sure.

alice1990

Postby alice1990 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:48 pm

Hand wrote:
Babum wrote:

If you have completed your 3-year BA and a subsequent (what assume to be) 2-year MA in the same foreign country, you should be fine: although you haven't completed any single program that is equivalent to a U.S. BA (your three year degree falls short, your foreign MA exceeds it), you have completed studies sufficient for admission--since your overall level of education is equivalent to a U.S. master's degree. If you completed your foreign MA in a different European country that also follows the Bologna-model, you should also be fine, for the same reason. If you completed your MA somewhere else, things might get complicated. Either way, it won't hurt to ask the schools you're applying to, just to make sure.

Thank you both! I got my MA in the UK, so that should be fine. I did contact LSAC, and they told me to send them an email and they will take it up to AACRAO - I'm not sure how likely it is they'll reconsider the evaluation though... I'm also contacting the schools I'm applying to, and I'm thinking about submitting an optional statement with my applications explaining what the deal is (especially since other evaluation services i.e. WES DO recognize Bologna-degrees as equivalent). Do you think that would help?

Babum

Postby Babum » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:53 pm

alice1990 wrote:
Hand wrote:
Babum wrote:

Thank you both! I got my MA in the UK, so that should be fine. I did contact LSAC, and they told me to send them an email and they will take it up to AACRAO - I'm not sure how likely it is they'll reconsider the evaluation though... I'm also contacting the schools I'm applying to, and I'm thinking about submitting an optional statement with my applications explaining what the deal is (especially since other evaluation services i.e. WES DO recognize Bologna-degrees as equivalent). Do you think that would help?

I'd assume that you have decent LSAT scores as well which would probably help your case. Speaking entirely from the perspective of a law student, as opposed to an admission person, I don't really see it affecting you. I'd write the essay just pointing things out.

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:07 pm

alice1990 wrote:
Hand wrote:
Babum wrote:

It's hard to say--law schools are bound by ABA regulations that require that they only submit students who have completed the foreign equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree. Since LSAC farms all of their foreign credentials evaluations out to AACRAO, I suspect that schools will simply defer to LSAC, who in turn defer to AACRAO, and my money is on AACRAO not caring that WES does consider 3-year European degrees equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree. (FWIW, as far as I know, WES is the only credentials evaluation agency that holds this view).

A complicating factor is that many agencies do not treat UK MA's the same way as those from continental Europe for rather complicated (and silly) reasons, which *may* mean you do not have a bachelor's degree equivalency, even though you have an educational level equivalent to that of a U.S. master's degree. So I would definitely reach out to schools to find out what they think, and I'd do it before you submit--applying is not free, after all.

alice1990

Postby alice1990 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:29 pm

Hand wrote:
alice1990 wrote:
Hand wrote:
Babum wrote:

It's hard to say--law schools are bound by ABA regulations that require that they only submit students who have completed the foreign equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree. Since LSAC farms all of their foreign credentials evaluations out to AACRAO, I suspect that schools will simply defer to LSAC, who in turn defer to AACRAO, and my money is on AACRAO not caring that WES does consider 3-year European degrees equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree. (FWIW, as far as I know, WES is the only credentials evaluation agency that holds this view).

A complicating factor is that many agencies do not treat UK MA's the same way as those from continental Europe for rather complicated (and silly) reasons, which *may* mean you do not have a bachelor's degree equivalency, even though you have an educational level equivalent to that of a U.S. master's degree. So I would definitely reach out to schools to find out what they think, and I'd do it before you submit--applying is not free, after all.

Yeah I do have a decent LSAT - 173. After all the work I've put into this the idea I might not be eligible is driving me up a wall. Georgetown told me they generally accept 3-year foreign degrees but said I should send them my report so they can have a look and give me a better answer. I guess I'll call/email all the schools I'm applying to and see what they have to say...

Brady199

Postby Brady199 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 pm

I went through a similar thing for the Fall 2013 cycle. It was horrible.
I just waited it out for a couple more years, got the extra 2 year degree and applied.

In hindsight, it's better to be safe with the ACCRAO than sorry.

scone

Postby scone » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:00 pm

This happened to me as well, it's just a clerical error - they fixed it in about a week. Don't worry about it!

alice1990

Postby alice1990 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:09 pm

scone wrote:

This happened to me as well, it's just a clerical error - they fixed it in about a week. Don't worry about it!

You just made my day!!! Did you have to write them or did they fix it themselves? LSAC just forwarded my inquiry to their transcripts department today, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a timely resolution :)

dg99

Postby dg99 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:10 pm

I noticed that the link to the spreadsheet is no longer active. Does anyone know if there is any way I could still access the info in it? It would be sooo helpful!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”