International Applicants 2014-15 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you headed this fall?

Harvard/Yale/Stanford
23%
Columbia/NYU
10%
Chicago
2%
Penn
2%
UVA/Duke
2%
Berkely
1%
Mich/Northwestern
6%
Cornell
6%
Georgetown
7%
Other
38%

Total votes: 81

Hand

Gold

Re: International Applicants 2014-15

Post by Hand » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:06 pm

Bump, in case there are any lonely international applicants out there. Come check in, there is plenty of room for everybody in my crawlspace.

svx5013

New

Post by svx5013 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:22 pm

adeel wrote:People, is Emory a good school for internationals? Like, how good is it?
IMO internationals with good LSAT won't end up in Emory, and internationals with bad LSAT won't end up at the top of the class,

so internationals in Emory won't end up at the top of their class, so probably would end up jobless...so yeah, i am gonna be jobless.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:33 pm

Auxilio wrote:
Harry_Pluxen wrote:Does anyone know how well Canadian, Australian and British citizens do when they apply to American law schools? Are they seen as favourable applicants since they are english speaking countries? There being no TOEFL test and what not, education system somewhat similar, etc.
Canadians are mostly treated like Americans. I think the experience of Australian and British applicants will vary based on university.
Just FYI, Duke is the only T14 that requires a TOEFL; other schools (quite reasonably, IMO) take a good LSAT score to be sufficient evidence that one's mastery of the English language will be adequate. The education system of Britain is however quite dissimilar from that of the US, both at the secondary level (with the GCSE after 11 years of education and the GCE A-Levels after thirteen, as opposed to a single secondary qualification after 12 years) as well as at the post-secondary level (with three-year degrees that are wholly focused on a single subject, in contrast to U.S. four-year degrees where typically one's major isn't selected until one is well underway, and which come with significant distribution requirements, and then there's the relatively strict separation of master's degrees and doctoral programs in the UK, which contrast with the integrated 5-6 year graduate programs in the US). In fact, I'd say that the educational system of the UK is more similar to that of most of continental Europe than to that of the US.

Anyway, all of this is just an aside of course. The number of data points we have here is unfortunately way to small to make a decent generalization about how native speakers fare vis-a-vis non-native speakers. But you should probably just expect to do about as well as your LSAT score suggests you will.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:34 pm

svx5013 wrote:
adeel wrote:People, is Emory a good school for internationals? Like, how good is it?
IMO internationals with good LSAT won't end up in Emory, and internationals with bad LSAT won't end up at the top of the class,

so internationals in Emory won't end up at the top of their class, so probably would end up jobless...so yeah, i am gonna be jobless.
Sounds like retaking might be a good idea

svx5013

New

Post by svx5013 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:44 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
svx5013 wrote:

Sounds like retaking might be a good idea
i've already postponed law school for a whole year to retake the lsat, some improvement but still lower than 160, and used up almost all the prep tests since 1996

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jawsjawsjaws

Bronze

Post by jawsjawsjaws » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:48 am

Took me 4 takes but that got me from William and Mary to Chicago. Don't give up.

svx5013

New

Post by svx5013 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:19 am

jawsjawsjaws wrote:Took me 4 takes but that got me from William and Mary to Chicago. Don't give up.
wow! i truly admire you!

the thing is that i have a very good long term memory and very poor working memory. i do remember all the correct answers from these prep tests, but i can't remember a thing from the last paragraph in reading comprehension

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:06 pm

Just sent my final app.

Feels real good

hellerskeller

New

Post by hellerskeller » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:22 pm

Long time lurker here. Is it true that Georgetown doesn't give out $$ to internationals? I got in, and trying to see if I should send in a Need Access app, but not sure if it's gonna do anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:38 pm

hellerskeller wrote:Long time lurker here. Is it true that Georgetown doesn't give out $$ to internationals? I got in, and trying to see if I should send in a Need Access app, but not sure if it's gonna do anything.
well I got the invitation to apply for a merit scholarship a few weeks ago, I doubt they'd send me that if they were not going to offer anything as a matter of policy

hellerskeller

New

Post by hellerskeller » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:47 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
hellerskeller wrote:Long time lurker here. Is it true that Georgetown doesn't give out $$ to internationals? I got in, and trying to see if I should send in a Need Access app, but not sure if it's gonna do anything.
well I got the invitation to apply for a merit scholarship a few weeks ago, I doubt they'd send me that if they were not going to offer anything as a matter of policy
Really? On their website it said they don't offer any scholarships or grants to international applicants. Maybe they were just referring to need-based aid?

In any case, what did the email tell you to do? Trying to see if theres anything i have to do to put myself in the running too.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:58 pm

hellerskeller wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:
Really? On their website it said they don't offer any scholarships or grants to international applicants. Maybe they were just referring to need-based aid?

In any case, what did the email tell you to do? Trying to see if theres anything i have to do to put myself in the running too.
I got the same email that a lot of people got, asking how I feel about georgetown and how much money would make a difference to me. This was for merit-based aid only; need-based aid and loans are dealt with separately. People who didn't get the email can just solicit a scholarship themselves, without the invitation (see the discussion in the georgetown admits thread)

svx5013

New

Post by svx5013 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:27 am

what kind of job opportunities would internationals have within the US???

any options other than law firms (and median/small sized firms won't even sponsor non-resident aliens...)?

i know we are not eligible for gov't jobs, but can we work at public interest jobs?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

altf4

Bronze

Post by altf4 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:48 am

svx5013 wrote:what kind of job opportunities would internationals have within the US???

any options other than law firms (and median/small sized firms won't even sponsor non-resident aliens...)?

i know we are not eligible for gov't jobs, but can we work at public interest jobs?
I believe state clerkships are still available to noncitizen internationals: http://law.wustl.edu/career_services/ju ... hePast.pdf

As for public interest jobs, they're largely non-governmental, right? So why not? It'd just be a lot more difficult securing visas since you'd have to find an organization willing to shell out the thousands to host you.
More information at: http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/C ... PUBLIC.pdf

svx5013

New

Post by svx5013 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:26 am

altf4 wrote:
svx5013 wrote:what kind of job opportunities would internationals have within the US???

I believe state clerkships are still available to noncitizen internationals: http://law.wustl.edu/career_services/ju ... hePast.pdf

As for public interest jobs, they're largely non-governmental, right? So why not? It'd just be a lot more difficult securing visas since you'd have to find an organization willing to shell out the thousands to host you.
Thank you!

Brady199

Bronze

Post by Brady199 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:34 am

hereisonehand wrote:
hellerskeller wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:

I got the same email that a lot of people got, asking how I feel about georgetown and how much money would make a difference to me. This was for merit-based aid only; need-based aid and loans are dealt with separately. People who didn't get the email can just solicit a scholarship themselves, without the invitation (see the discussion in the georgetown admits thread)
I am an international applicant and I got a merit scholly from Gtown. PM for amount

musedreverie

Bronze

Post by musedreverie » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:36 am

svx5013 wrote:
altf4 wrote:

Thank you!
Yeah, I definitely know of a Cornell alum who worked for the UN after JD in New York (although he graduated nearly 10 years ago). So I think as long as you can secure a position you can do non-biglaw gigs (not sure if UN is considered PI though?)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

musedreverie

Bronze

Post by musedreverie » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:40 am

Brady199 wrote: I am an international applicant and I got a merit scholly from Gtown. PM for amount
Congratulations, especially more so knowing Gtown is very conservative with their scholly to US nationals, let alone internationals! :D

Brady199

Bronze

Post by Brady199 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:08 am

musedreverie wrote:
Brady199 wrote: I am an international applicant and I got a merit scholly from Gtown. PM for amount
Congratulations, especially more so knowing Gtown is very conservative with their scholly to US nationals, let alone internationals! :D

jawsjawsjaws

Bronze

Post by jawsjawsjaws » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:21 am

altf4 wrote:

Good stuff

jawsjawsjaws

Bronze

Post by jawsjawsjaws » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:25 am

Brady199 wrote:
I am an international applicant and I got a merit scholly from Gtown. PM for amount
Congrats! I got 0 though, so I withdrew.
Where are y'all headed? I think I'm depositing at Chicago unless NYU ups their scholly.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

justinhanahs

New

Post by justinhanahs » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:48 pm

Hello, I'm an international applicant. I already send out most of my applications, but a few of them requires TOEFL. I recently received my TOEFL result but don't know whether I should send them to LSAC. From what I read on the LSAC website, they send the updated report to all schools that you have applied. But most of the schools are already reviewing my application, will the updated report slow down my application process?
Also, some schools that require TOEFL already put my status into complete and did not ask for TOEFL, does that mean they don't really need it?

Brady199

Bronze

Post by Brady199 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:05 am

Going to attend Duke for the JD/LLM in International & Comp law program. Made an offer I couldn't refuse. My cycle is over :)

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:10 am

justinhanahs wrote:Hello, I'm an international applicant. I already send out most of my applications, but a few of them requires TOEFL. I recently received my TOEFL result but don't know whether I should send them to LSAC. From what I read on the LSAC website, they send the updated report to all schools that you have applied. But most of the schools are already reviewing my application, will the updated report slow down my application process?
Also, some schools that require TOEFL already put my status into complete and did not ask for TOEFL, does that mean they don't really need it?
Hi Justin, yes, you will need to send your TOEFL score to the LSAC, who will then in turn forward this information to the schools that you've applied for. Per the Duke website:
To submit a TOEFL score, please contact the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and request that your score be sent to LSAC. The TOEFL institution code for LSAC is 8395.
As to your second question, I don't know - perhaps best to ask the admissions office of the schools in question!
Brady199 wrote:Going to attend Duke for the JD/LLM in International & Comp law program. Made an offer I couldn't refuse. My cycle is over :)
Congrats, sounds like a great plan! Also congrats to Jaws on Chicago!

jawsjawsjaws

Bronze

Post by jawsjawsjaws » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:58 pm

Thank you, hereisonehand ^^
And congrats, Brady!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”