IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
emoticons777

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Postby emoticons777 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:35 am

jibstir13 wrote:i overlooked that there is another step from awaiting evaluation to under evaluation.

so what is the wait for going from awaiting to under?..

i hope not another month!

I was received for about three weeks, complete/awaiting for over a month, and now i'm under for about three days. I agree about the sad life that waiting is.

GOB

Postby GOB » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:01 pm

Splitt3r wrote:Setting aside the car thing for a moment, Hastings and Davis are very different places and I thikn most people have a pretty clear feeling as to which one is for them. Because of this, students at each school are going to almost as a rule tell you that they made the right choice when picking to go to one or the other.
Very, very accurate. Davis is more laid back, friendlier, some have said more boring; Hastings is the opposite. I knew once I visited Hastings that it wasn't for me, and I recommend that everyone visit both campuses before they make a decision.

I, of course, think that anyone is crazy to pick Hastings over Davis... but I'm an Aggie.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:14 pm

I didn't apply to Hastings, just Davis - met someone who goes to Hastings, and it's very much in the hood, and you have to live over by Oakland or something to be able to afford anything, and it's more unfriendly/competitive, with fewer people being given good grades - um, why would someone choose the worst COL in the country, crime, and nastiness over cheaper, friendlier, and safer for two schools that are essentially the same rank?

Splitt3r

Postby Splitt3r » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:25 pm

ruleser wrote:I didn't apply to Hastings, just Davis - met someone who goes to Hastings, and it's very much in the hood, and you have to live over by Oakland or something to be able to afford anything, and it's more unfriendly/competitive, with fewer people being given good grades - um, why would someone choose the worst COL in the country, crime, and nastiness over cheaper, friendlier, and safer for two schools that are essentially the same rank?

Lol, you have no idea what you're talking about

CWF V

Postby CWF V » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:23 pm

Dunno about the grading trends, but the cost of housing is accurate. SF is excessively expensive.

AOI87

Postby AOI87 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:23 pm

For all those who have been accepted already: When you were notified of your acceptance online, was it after 6 pm when the system "updates" or was it at different times of the day?

thanks!

Splitt3r

Postby Splitt3r » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:39 pm

CWF V wrote:Dunno about the grading trends, but the cost of housing is accurate. SF is excessively expensive.

--LinkRemoved--

Your own place a few blocks from school for under 1k. Perhaps not the best neighborhood, but I don't know quite what is expected in a major metropolitan area. I'd also like to point out that, while obviously not SF, Davis is definitely not what I would call cheap.

stevededalus

Postby stevededalus » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:46 am

I thought the same thing; I wouldn't choose Davis over Hastings because of cost of living. Davis isn't cheap, either. The city has a slow-growth policy that limits housing construction. Coupled with a steadily increasing campus population, rent prices are more expensive than in other cities in the Valley.

Hastings provides subsidized housing in McAllister Tower; I think I saw one-bedroom apartments for roughly $1,000/month in the Hastings admissions packet. You'd pay the same, if not more, for a one-bedroom in Davis.

deliciouspork

Postby deliciouspork » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:56 am

As a Davis under, I've never seen a studio reach the $1000 mark - most are around $800 I think. I live in my own bedroom in a 4 bed townhouse about 1 mile off campus and I pay $420/month, probably much cheaper rent than something comparable in SF.

sbalive

Postby sbalive » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:59 am

deliciouspork wrote:As a Davis under, I've never seen a studio reach the $1000 mark - most are around $800 I think. I live in my own bedroom in a 4 bed townhouse about 1 mile off campus and I pay $420/month, probably much cheaper rent than something comparable in SF.

Yes, but one weekend a year will people in fetish gear go parading down the street right in front of your condo? Every other night during the year will you be right in the middle of nightclubs, some of which are exceedingly sketchy?

Studio on Folsom & 9th for $995/mo. :roll:

Splitt3r

Postby Splitt3r » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:08 am

deliciouspork wrote:As a Davis under, I've never seen a studio reach the $1000 mark - most are around $800 I think. I live in my own bedroom in a 4 bed townhouse about 1 mile off campus and I pay $420/month, probably much cheaper rent than something comparable in SF.

That's only because the nice 1 brd places rarely come on the open market. Look into how much the places above crepeville cost. You'll be shocked.

sbalive wrote:

Yes, but one weekend a year will people in fetish gear go parading down the street right in front of your condo? Every other night during the year will you be right in the middle of nightclubs, some of which are exceedingly sketchy?

Well if you don't like San Francisco, don't live there. Simple as that.

kimins

Postby kimins » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:56 am

i just visited davis......i stayed with my lil sis since she is an undergrad there....i was so busy that i actually didnt have time to check the law school out...i was there for a conference....anyways, i had forgotten the cow feces smell that ruminates the davis area.....that' a drawback for sure, i couldn't stand the air....i plan on visiting soon though to actually check out the law school

sbalive

Postby sbalive » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:21 am

Splitt3r wrote:

That's only because the nice 1 brd places rarely come on the open market. Look into how much the places above crepeville cost. You'll be shocked.

sbalive wrote:

Well if you don't like San Francisco, don't live there. Simple as that.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I love San Francisco. I'm just mocking you for managing to find a tiny studio for "under" 1k, trumpeting this as some sign that San Francisco isn't as unaffordable as people say it is, and not considering the context. There is a distinct rent difference, and it is inconceivable that you can find a $400 share in San Francisco for anything habitable, and you're really looking at something more like $800 for the quality you can find in Davis. San Francisco is a great city, but it is expensive.

Splitt3r

Postby Splitt3r » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:15 pm

kimins wrote:i just visited davis......i stayed with my lil sis since she is an undergrad there....i was so busy that i actually didnt have time to check the law school out...i was there for a conference....anyways, i had forgotten the cow feces smell that ruminates the davis area.....that' a drawback for sure, i couldn't stand the air....i plan on visiting soon though to actually check out the law school

There's only one particular area of town that smells like cow shit, and the law school is not in that area. Unfortunately, the freeway is, so you're going to get a good whiff every once in a while, but unless you're living in one particular section of freshman dorms you don't really have to worry about where you're living smelling.

kimins

Postby kimins » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:15 pm

Splitt3r wrote:
kimins wrote:i just visited davis......i stayed with my lil sis since she is an undergrad there....i was so busy that i actually didnt have time to check the law school out...i was there for a conference....anyways, i had forgotten the cow feces smell that ruminates the davis area.....that' a drawback for sure, i couldn't stand the air....i plan on visiting soon though to actually check out the law school

There's only one particular area of town that smells like cow shit, and the law school is not in that area. Unfortunately, the freeway is, so you're going to get a good whiff every once in a while, but unless you're living in one particular section of freshman dorms you don't really have to worry about where you're living smelling.

good to know...she lives at the colleges and boy does it stink over there! i however if i decide to attend will try and live somewhere far far away from the cow stench...

herewego

Postby herewego » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:02 pm

kimins wrote:
Splitt3r wrote:

good to know...she lives at the colleges and boy does it stink over there! i however if i decide to attend will try and live somewhere far far away from the cow stench...

Interesting. I lived at the Colleges for three years and I remember it smelling about 3 of those days. Although to be fair I lived on the North side of the complex (away from the cows) and maybe I got used to it? Really, its not that big of a deal.

ihaftagetinsomewhere

Postby ihaftagetinsomewhere » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:57 pm

I finally heard from UC Davis! I got in yesterday. My status checker changed to "Decision Mailed" and the status is a link to a pdf version of my decision letter.

(submitted 11/15, complete 12/18, decision 2/12, numbers in profile)

Postby 20160810 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:11 pm

Complete, awaiting evaluation. Still.

navygirleve

Postby navygirleve » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:34 am

ruleser wrote:I didn't apply to Hastings, just Davis - met someone who goes to Hastings, and it's very much in the hood, and you have to live over by Oakland or something to be able to afford anything, and it's more unfriendly/competitive, with fewer people being given good grades - um, why would someone choose the worst COL in the country, crime, and nastiness over cheaper, friendlier, and safer for two schools that are essentially the same rank?

That's not quite true. Meeting one person from UC Hastings probably isn't representative enough to draw a definitive conclusion about the school. Hastings is in the TL, but it's not as dangerous as people think it is. If any consolation, it is really near to City Hall. If someone is murdered, hopefully the police will get there faster.

jibstir13

Postby jibstir13 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:19 am

parts of chino hills, ca smell too...

has anyone been to both chino and davis?..does chino smell like davis?

Amplified

Postby Amplified » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:31 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Complete, awaiting evaluation. Still.

We're like the same at every school bro!

SadButTrue

Postby SadButTrue » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:58 pm

bump.

awaiting eval for...ever.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:02 pm

Amplified wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:Complete, awaiting evaluation. Still.

We're like the same at every school bro!

Serious. Stats?

Splitt3r

Postby Splitt3r » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:08 pm

It doesn't smell in the Colleges except at dusk every once and a while. For some reason the smell really carries then.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:11 pm

Splitt3r wrote:It doesn't smell in the Colleges except at dusk every once and a while. For some reason the smell really carries then.

Right now Davis smells like a bunch of adcomms who aren't reading my application.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”