IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
azoraraine

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Postby azoraraine » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:29 pm

Jojo wrote:
I miss that fish they used to have that looked like a seal head.

Oh no! What happened to the fish? It was there last time I went...

Oh, it was probably just hiding from me. I hadn't been in in 4 years, and the first thing I did was go to check to see if he was there - - but I had to go back to my table pretty quick. Glad to hear he's alive and well!

oopivyoo

Postby oopivyoo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:19 am

Hey all, just got back from the open house today and it was great. So I think that I should make corrections to some earlier posts after whatI learned. According to the carreer center, Davis places about 40-45 percent of thier class in southern CA! That sounds like a pretty good shot for all those who want to work in LA. I put my first seat deposit in today in hopes of getting some info about financial aid, but it looks like the FA will have to wait.

matt79

Postby matt79 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:26 am

oopivyoo wrote:I think your the first person in like 10 years to notice that! Yup it refers to a little middle to late eighties band out of Berkeley called Operation Ivy. I try to use ruffly the same screen name wherever I go because its easier to remmember.

I was wondering the same thing. Energy is one of my favorite albums ever. I only wish I could have gone to Gilman St in 1989.

oopivyoo wrote:For sure, I'm going up with my family (again) this weekend for the open house, so I'll prob. see some of you there? It was between Hastings and Davis, and I never really was considering Hastings unless I was rejected from Davis.

I think I saw you at the open house today, but I was never able to say hello.

Ginger123

Postby Ginger123 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:29 pm

YAY I'M ALL MOVED OUT!!!!

FREEEEDOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

tmo

Postby tmo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:24 pm

Congrats Ginger! Now only one more month til you have to move again :shock:

Anything interesting at the open house? Lots of people? Mention of any of the latest happenings (ranking change, new dean, etc)?

Faye Valentine

Postby Faye Valentine » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:40 pm

tmo wrote:Anything interesting at the open house? Lots of people? Mention of any of the latest happenings (ranking change, new dean, etc)?

There were a good number of people, I think. The Moot Court room was pretty full. Dean Perschbacher did introduce Dead Johnson as the Associate Dean, and did say that he would be the new dean when he stepped down. Not very much fuss about it, though, it was said pretty casually.

There was no official talk of rankings, other than mentioning that rankings shouldn't mean everything (Davis has a lot to offer, great accessibility to faculty, friendly environment, etc). They did talk about how when US News came to interview students a few years ago, the students were "exorbitantly happy," so they came back the next day to interview a new group of students--same results. I did speak with a 1L during the lunch about the issue of rankings (well, I asked if there was anything negative about the school, since everything we had heard in the official programming was positive--I wanted to hear the truth, everything good & bad) and she did mention that a lot of students have been unhappy with the career office, though she had had no problems with them. She said that the admin has been talking to the students about the rankings drop a lot, assuring them it is only for one year, and it was because of a few people who didn't pass the bar.

What I thought was interesting was that she said since Davis is so supportive of parents and families, many people graduate and decide to spend some time with their children instead of working right away. These graduates are considered unemployed by US News, since there is no "Unemployed and NOT seeking employment" category; she also said that Hastings averts this problem by "hiring" these students as clerks through the school, so that they can be counted as employed.

I went to the student life panel, and the girl who was president of the LSA was brutally honest about herself; it was very refreshing & entertaining... she only studied 2 weeks for the LSAT, turned down a $50k (or some odd) scholly to Southwestern to go to Davis, only studies between classes at school so that she can have her separate home life & school life... and then she said, "But I'm also not at the top of my class. Someone's gotta bring up the rear! I look at people studying 14 hours in the library, and I think 'suckers!' because at the end of it all, I get to be a lawyer too!" Nice to see not everyone has been crushed by the law school experience.

Uhm, and there was really good Mexican food!

gtg263r

Postby gtg263r » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:47 am

yeah i was there too

met a few cool kids. im sure everyone is cool, just didnt get a chance to talk to very many 0ls. met potential housemates actually.

first impressions of davis: people seem to be top-notch - as in, really fucking nice people. & not even just the law school kids. i met a friend of a potential student who goes to davis for grad school & she was really nice (even offered to help me scope out housing, since i live on the other side of the country). & people i met on the davis airporter shuttle (one dude i met for 10 minutes told me to email him if i wanted to know good places for hiking since he used to lead kids groups on hikes in davis). all in all, seems like a great community. other plusses include the weather, environment, the school & the fact that i saw more bikes than cars.

the only real bad thing is im coming from a highly urban environment & ive never lived in a small town before. i think ill be able to handle the transition for 3 years though (hopefully).

the ASW was ok. nothing particularly special or informative about it. i sat in on the social justice & the student life session as well. i talked w/ one of the 1ls afterwards pretty candidly & he laid it all on the table for me, so that was nice.

right now im just trying to figure out housing

Ginger123

Postby Ginger123 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:00 pm

I feel like there havent been that many acceptances for Davis in a long time. At least I feel like our merry band of Aggies isnt getting any bigger. Do you think they're waiting until after the deposit deadline to send out the second batch? Like two thirds of the people on LSN are still pending and it looks like a big chunk of admitted students have withdrawn. There was literally six people in the "attending" category so I wonder what's going on. Obviously not everyone is on LSN, but thats still a sizeable sample of applicants. Interesting.

Az where are you? Are the kids still sick? Has the dog caught a virus from the barfing kid?

So tired...got hardly any sleep last night and just went on a 2.5 hour, $140 adventure to the vet's office - and I still have to fill/pay for a prescription. Traveling cross country with an animal SUCKS.

Ginger123

Postby Ginger123 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:04 pm

Its good to hear that Davis places a big chunk in SoCal. I'm not really keen on my hometown of LA and don't really want to practice there, but my family still lives there and it would be nice to get summer jobs back home if I wanted/needed to be there.

Unless I find a cute in-law suite or small cottage somewhere near downtown, it looks like I'll be living at Cambridge House or Pinecrest, given the 50lb dog. It doesn't seem that far from the law school - like 2 miles - so that's not bad. Will have to check it out once I'm in California in May or June. God bless the Wiki!

oopivyoo

Postby oopivyoo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:50 pm

GTG, I agree, the people there seemed really cool (which makes me wonder if its just the community that rubs off on them, or if its just something about the people who choose to go to Davis). I went to the employment seminar and was sort of disappointed. I really liked hearing that all those on the panel were able to find good jobs and internships, but I'm sure they were chosen just because of that. I was disappointed because no one ever mentioned the fact that the rankings had fallen because of an employment drop, and no one ever mentioned what steps were being taken to fix this problem. I did like how the rivalry with Hastings sort of emerged during the conversation in which one student called it a "lawyer factory".

Ginger, although there aren’t allot of people who seem to have been accepted, the admitted student day seemed pretty packed. I'm not a very good estimator, but it looked like there were plenty of people at the beginning of the day to fill an entire law class (over a hundred for sure and possibly 150). I took off after lunch to take my kids to a few parks (which have enormous play structures that they love), so I didnt get to see the whole group again, but there were plenty of people there in the morning.

I think my wife fell in love with Davis on the way out. There is a an IKEA store (which we don’t have here) in west Sacramento and we spent about an hour and a half in there while she was "picking out" everything that she has decided we will "need" when we get there.

i<3cupcakes

Postby i<3cupcakes » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi All,

I've been reading this thread for awhile but just decided to join. I've been accepted to UCD but have not heard ANYTHING official re: fin aid. They've emailed me estimates, but they are that-- estimates. The Fin Aid lady keeps saying the info is coming soon but tomorrow is the deposit deadline!

Has anyone gotten anything?

azoraraine

Postby azoraraine » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:28 pm

Ginger123 wrote:I feel like there havent been that many acceptances for Davis in a long time. At least I feel like our merry band of Aggies isnt getting any bigger. Do you think they're waiting until after the deposit deadline to send out the second batch? Like two thirds of the people on LSN are still pending and it looks like a big chunk of admitted students have withdrawn. There was literally six people in the "attending" category so I wonder what's going on. Obviously not everyone is on LSN, but thats still a sizeable sample of applicants. Interesting.

Az where are you? Are the kids still sick? Has the dog caught a virus from the barfing kid?

So tired...got hardly any sleep last night and just went on a 2.5 hour, $140 adventure to the vet's office - and I still have to fill/pay for a prescription. Traveling cross country with an animal SUCKS.

Ginger, that's funny, cause the dog did barf the next day. But he's fifteen and barfs (and pees) all over the house all the time anyway - so I don't think he caught it from my son :) . His incontinence is why I can't have people over to my house - with the three kids and two dogs, my job - housecleaning is a nice idea, but it rarely happens here. I'd rather garden. My yard looks nice, though!

I'm still under eval. Don't know what's up with that. Based on LSN, no, it doesn't look like a lot of people have decided on Davis - but there are quite a few here...So, who knows. It will be what it will be. Hopefully the appeal lawyer I did this work for will like my edit an write me a LOR if I get waitlisted - or even give me a job if I wind up at McGeorge! Oh, my fantasy life...

Anyway, I remember my first cross-country move with my first basset hound. The vet gave us some sedatives for him and his eyes rolled back in his head and he slept the whole first day. Next day, we halved the dose - same thing happened. Next day we didn't give him anything, and his eyes still rolled back in his head and he remained comatose :) ...So hopefully your baby will be lulled in a similar manner! What happened? Is she okay? Bad car sickness? Too much Taco Bell?

I spent the whole weekend on that brief. It was interesting, but put me so far behind with my other job and all the 1,000,000 additional things I usually get done when my dad takes the kids to the park. I am worried I didn't do a good job on it and he will hate me, so I'm about equally stressed out to check the UCD status tonight and my email to see if he's responded.

Dude, it takes some skills to write those briefs! Telling a story while keeping track of the relevant law + making your case - Sigh. He did say it was pretty complex as far as such things go...but still...I was very impressed by his writing. I think sometimes lawyers must actually earn their $$!

matt79

Postby matt79 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:33 pm

After four LA to NoCal road trips in a two-week period, I finally made my decision and paid my deposit to Davis.

matt79

Postby matt79 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:34 pm

i<3cupcakes wrote:Hi All,

I've been reading this thread for awhile but just decided to join. I've been accepted to UCD but have not heard ANYTHING official re: fin aid. They've emailed me estimates, but they are that-- estimates. The Fin Aid lady keeps saying the info is coming soon but tomorrow is the deposit deadline!

Has anyone gotten anything?

The director of financial aid said the official packages will be available online on the 4/15.

i<3cupcakes

Postby i<3cupcakes » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:40 pm

Cool, thanks. Wish they'd give us more time to think about the package, though.

gtg263r

Postby gtg263r » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:40 pm

also, going off estimates is probably safe enough. dude said final packages wont change much from estimates, barring some drastic change on your fafsa/need access stuff

i<3cupcakes

Postby i<3cupcakes » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:48 pm

Has anyone heard if they have selected the MLK scholarship winners?

ihatestudying

Postby ihatestudying » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:09 pm

OK guys. I'VE DONE IT!!! I've bit the bullet. I put down my deposit at Davis!!!

Boy, now I know what you mean, Ginger. That was kind of anti-climactic. It took about 1.5 months of heavy-duty thinking to decide and about 2 seconds to click through that entire thing and put my cc number down. I kind of wanted a congratulations e-card at the end. :( oh well :mrgreen:

Now I'm onto the fun stuff: finding a place to live, finding a bike, planning the move, etc etc etc. Yippee! I don't know if all of this takes a load off my shoulders, but it feels good to have at least stopped my indecisiveness and put some money down.

PS - cupcake person -- I called them about finaid as well and they said they were shooting for after April 15th, but theyh weren't sure if they could meet that... so as soon as possible. When I asked for a confirmation of my estimate though, nothing had changed from it so I'm guessing most of it is going to be the same for most people? You might want to call and double-check though, cuz that's kind of impt.

PPS - congrats on putting down the deposit Matt79er! Guess we'll all see each other there.

oopivy - that's great about the ASW. The one in March was really sparsely attended, and I was a little weirded out by that. In retrospect though, I guess it's because most people hadn't heard from them at that point!

gtg - agree re: moving from urban environment to smalltown. I think it'll be very conducive for studying, but I do wish it were a little closer to SF (or that Sac were a little bigger). Can't beat the proximity to Napa though.

Faye Valentine

Postby Faye Valentine » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:29 pm

I'm about to pay my deposit tonight.

But I've been doing a huge housing hunt, and guys, THIS IS SUCH A NIGHTMARE! I don't know who said searching in the summer would be fine, but I have called about 15 different complexes & property management companies, and they are ALL completely booked for fall... even if I ask for a move-in date in July or August, they say there is absolutely nothing available. HELP!!!!!

ihatestudying

Postby ihatestudying » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:37 pm

Faye - that stinks! I have not even moved that far in the process and didn't know it was that bad. Basically, I have been searching for housing by looking for things that seem nice and affordable, and w/in walking distance. i have not actually picked up the phone and started to call these places. Hmm.. your post does light a fire under me... maybe I should get moving...

I was hoping in the worst-case scenario, that you could take over a sub-lease in July/Aug, then renew the lease come SEptember. I see a lot of sublease postings for the summer months starting now on Craigslist... I don't know if the property mgmt take those into account or not?

oopivyoo

Postby oopivyoo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:48 pm

Faye Valentine wrote:I'm about to pay my deposit tonight.

But I've been doing a huge housing hunt, and guys, THIS IS SUCH A NIGHTMARE! I don't know who said searching in the summer would be fine, but I have called about 15 different complexes & property management companies, and they are ALL completely booked for fall... even if I ask for a move-in date in July or August, they say there is absolutely nothing available. HELP!!!!!

Try Craigslist. Last weekend I looked at 2 houses that were leasing in June/ July with the option of carrying over in Aug. Maybe thats because I'm looking for a 2+ bedroom house though. But i did see a few apartments opening up in July on craigslist.

matt79

Postby matt79 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:15 pm

Congrats to you as well, ihatestudying! It is how amazing how anti-climactic putting down the deposit was for me as well, especially considering how gut-wrenching the decision was and that I was 50/50 whether or not I would go to Davis only hours before. I am glad it is over with, though.

dangerzone10

Postby dangerzone10 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:28 pm

Hi All,

I was accepted at Davis, and I also attended the open house on April 12th. While I already submitted my first deposit, I am bit concerned about my housing situation. I would prefer to live alone in a one bedroom or studio (so I won’t have to deal with any roommate drama and the circumstances that may surround it), I hear some people say that it is better to live with another law student since we’re all on the “same clock.” What are your thoughts?

P.S. After the open house, I’m psyched about going to Davis!

tmo

Postby tmo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:36 pm

Congrats to all that have put their deposits down! How exciting! I'm getting really ready to get on with this already.

Did anyone get GradPlus estimates in that estimate email? So far I do know how SCHOOL is going to be paid for, but not my living expenses.

As far as housing goes, I think Craigslist is your best bet for the sublet/start lease in September option. We did find some complexes in West Davis that were willing to ask their tenants if anybody wanted to move out 2 weeks or a month early too. The place we found turned out to be occupied by a bunch of law students and we got the miraculous start date of August 10 - so they are out there, you just have to hunt for them. We too were turned down by a TON of places, but hey it only takes one to live in!

i<3cupcakes

Postby i<3cupcakes » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:01 pm

fin aid info is up on the admitted students website!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”