IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sockpuppet

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Postby sockpuppet » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:40 pm

Though anyone - sockpuppet- know anything about how much aid might change for married filing jointly vs. married filing separately?

I never looked into it, but I doubt it matters. You have to report all of the same total numbers either way, and most schools are still looking for any excuse they can shuck you off with 100% loans.

gtg263r

Postby gtg263r » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:19 pm

so... anyone know whats the deal w/ the davis online deposit system (or lack thereof)

tmo

Postby tmo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:23 am

I'm going to wait until the end of the week, then call on Friday if there still isn't the option to pay electronically by then.

Faye Valentine

Postby Faye Valentine » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:46 am

I just spent the majority of today browsing through the Davis Wiki... I'm in love with it right now! All of the info makes me feel not so bad about the Berkeley waitlist. Best case scenario, I get to spend some time eating yummy frozen yogurt and Del Taco without having to drive over 100 miles!

Anyways, best of luck to those awaiting evaluation/evaluation in progress.

Also, tmo, I think that's a good idea... I'm getting pretty nervous about getting a deposit placed in time, as if I'm missing something and won't be able to enroll because of it.

PugPug

Postby PugPug » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:22 am

^ Looking at the Davis Wiki. WHOA its a crazy foreign environment when people are worried about a Target coming to town. Target is like... the best store in the universe, IMHO.

jonzoo

Postby jonzoo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:16 am

Does anyone know when the seat deposits are due and how much they are?

Thanks,
JZ

tmo

Postby tmo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:01 am

Jonzoo, I believe April 15th is the first deadline, for $250. Then it's June... 1? For a $500 deadline. I"m sure of the $500, not sure of the June date.

So PugPug, they are worried about Target coming? That's funny. Sort of like my neighborhood staging protests over a Starbucks coming in (we're still without one, they won). I hope it doesn't come actually - I love Target and easily overspend on things I don't need there, not good for a law school budget!

azoraraine

Postby azoraraine » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:21 am

PugPug wrote:^ Looking at the Davis Wiki. WHOA its a crazy foreign environment when people are worried about a Target coming to town. Target is like... the best store in the universe, IMHO.

Oh, we like to shop at Target - we just don't want it in our town. I suspect a lot of the hardcore environmentalists here shop at the Woodland Walmart like in that Southpark episode...

gtg263r

Postby gtg263r » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:31 am

support small businesses

azoraraine

Postby azoraraine » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:39 am

You're gonna love it here, gtr, seriously. I used to be pretty hardcore myself - before I had 3 kids and the need to purchase massive quantities at reduced prices. Maybe if I get into law school I can afford to buy my conscience back;-).

tmo

Postby tmo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:41 am

gtg263r wrote:support small businesses

True dat. No Starbucks in my hood and all the cool little nooks still exist - can't complain.

jonzoo

Postby jonzoo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:49 am

Thanks for the info, tmo.

JZ

gtg263r

Postby gtg263r » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:00 pm

azoraraine wrote:You're gonna love it here, gtr, seriously. I used to be pretty hardcore myself - before I had 3 kids and the need to purchase massive quantities at reduced prices. Maybe if I get into law school I can afford to buy my conscience back;-).

yeah, i am all about (what it seems like) davis is all about

i understand that in some circumstances its difficult to completely support small businesses (higher prices) & that chains offer a certain convenience that is hard to ignore

Faye Valentine

Postby Faye Valentine » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:40 pm

I have a question. I've been looking at apartments in Davis over the past few days, and I think I'd really like to live in the Central or Downtown area of Davis. What's considered an average price for a 1 bedroom, and at what cost does rent become "outrageous"? I'm so used to super inflated rent prices in SF that 900 seems pretty good to me, but I don't want to pay too much for something that isn't really worth it.

My favorite part of the Davis Wiki is the comments section. I especially love how, when complaints are made, those responsible for the business (at least in the case of the small businesses) respond and try to correct things. ie - The person who said they thought Swirl had VOCs and requested organic and fair-trade products got a prompt reply addressing the VOC issue and stating that they try to do organic if/when possible, and are currently trying to find a balance between keeping a small business with affordable prices for customers & purchasing more expensive organic/fair-trade products. Great community, it seems. But looking at the Wiki this morning, it seems like someone hacked the front page as an April Fool's Day prank.

tmo

Postby tmo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:47 pm

LOL - I think you are right about the April Fools Day prank - that is funny. I love the Wiki too - I don't know what I would have done without it thus far, very helpful (and entertaining as well). As far as rents, I feel you on not knowing what is "good" since I'm coming from the Bay and think everything is a steal. That said, I will be renting a 2 bedroom downtown for about $1200. Seems like a great deal to me since I pay a couple hundred more right now for something half the size, but I have seen cheaper.

BioLaw

Postby BioLaw » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:50 pm

Any word on financial aid yet for anyone?

tmo

Postby tmo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:52 pm

BioLaw wrote:Any word on financial aid yet for anyone?

Nada - maybe I should call? I guess I could just ask about the deposit thing too then.

gtg263r

Postby gtg263r » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:57 pm

if you email the finaid office theyll get back to you w/ a prelim package

tmo

Postby tmo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:58 pm

gtg263r wrote:if you email the finaid office theyll get back to you w/ a prelim package

Yeah I received their estimates, but they said that the official stuff should come out on or around April 1st.

azoraraine

Postby azoraraine » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:07 pm

tmo wrote:LOL - I think you are right about the April Fools Day prank - that is funny.

That is funny as hell. Or maybe that's just what happens to a wiki when Costco comes to town;-). Thanks for the head's up, Faye. I called several people to let them know about it. My dad was laughing his head off.

DodgerDan

Postby DodgerDan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:23 pm

[quote="Faye Valentine"]I have a question. I've been looking at apartments in Davis over the past few days, and I think I'd really like to live in the Central or Downtown area of Davis. What's considered an average price for a 1 bedroom, and at what cost does rent become "outrageous"? I'm so used to super inflated rent prices in SF that 900 seems pretty good to me, but I don't want to pay too much for something that isn't really worth it.
quote]

900 is a lot. I have a friend who has a studio apartment on 1st and A street and he pays about $650. Last year I had a two bedroom on 6th and D and the rent was $920. However, I had a friend in south Davis who had a 3 bedroom apartment in a newer complex and the total rent was $2200. Hope that helps you out in gauging prices.

tmo

Postby tmo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:43 pm

Wow $920 for a 2 bedroom? I did not really see the likes of that. I guess I'm moving into a pretty nice, well maintained place though, but it's not new. Oh well, lease is signed. Hope I didn't get a raw deal!

jonzoo

Postby jonzoo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:52 pm

This probably should be posted on the financial aid forum, but since I seem to remember some posts on this thread concerning financial aid, I'll toss it on here.

I got an email from UC Davis today concerning financial aid that gave me information about what they expect my grant eligibility to be as well as the amount that I qualify for regarding low interest federal loans. The info is preliminary though and could change. I didn't get any info about possible scholarship money. Has anybody else?

JZ

I'll share the email with you:

This is to confirm receipt of your Need Access application for 2008-2009. I am pleased to inform you that a preliminary analysis of your Need Access application indicates you will likely qualify for $xxx in grant aid for academic year 2008-2009. In addition to grant aid it appears you will likely qualify for $xxx in low interest federal loans. Please remember that at this time this information is an estimate and could be subject to change based on future funding and review of your completed FAFSA when it is received.

The UC Davis Law Financial Aid Office has not yet begun to load 2008-09 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) tapes on our database so we are unable to confirm receipt of your FAFSA data. You can confirm that your FAFSA information was sent to specific schools or add schools to your FAFSA by visiting:

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/FOTWWebApp/follow003.jsp

You can also call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. (EST).

The UC Davis Law Financial Aid Office expects to begin awarding financial aid on a rolling basis beginning April 1st.

tmo

Postby tmo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:55 pm

Jonzoo, mine looked just like that. I think all scholarship offers came with the letter of admission. Now I'm just waiting to hear what the real amount is as opposed to the "likely" estimate.

BioLaw

Postby BioLaw » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:58 pm

Same with me. Like tmo said, my scholarship came in the acceptance package.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”