IN @ UC DAVIS!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ginger123

New

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Post by Ginger123 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:48 pm

Bumpity bump. Because I care.

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:41 am

what do you guys make of davis' 10 point drop in the (supposedly legit) new rankings

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:28 pm

Not going to get my panties in a knot over it.

matt79

New

Post by matt79 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:37 pm

The rankings themselves are not as important as the numbers behind them. The 87.1% employment after 9 months is the worst amongst all T1 schools. However, I am not sure how much this will affect my decision, especially in deciding between Hastings and Davis. Davis' better financial aid package (higher average grants), quality of life, and location (not in SF) outweigh the drop in rankings.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:40 pm

matt79 wrote:The rankings themselves are not as important as the numbers behind them. The 87.1% employment after 9 months is the worst amongst all T1 schools. However, I am not sure how much this will affect my decision, especially in deciding between Hastings and Davis. Davis' better financial aid package (higher average grants), quality of life, and location (not in SF) outweigh the drop in rankings.
True - the employment stat is definitely a cause for concern.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:44 pm

Employment is a concern, but I don't know that the 3 or 4 percentage point difference between Davis and other T1 schools should be a cause for concern. Their class is so small that the relatively low number could be attributed to a handful of students at the bottom of the class who aren't proactive about finding employment. I mean, if you're in the bottom 15% of your class, I feel like it's as much your responsibility to get out and network (to make up for the poor grades) as it is the school's responsibility.

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:55 pm

it also wont be affecting my decision to attend, but i cant say that its not disappointing

theyre now the lowest ranked uc school (until irvine opens theirs up) & is the lowest ranked school w/ their peer assessment score (3.4). hopefully the 10 point drop is just an anomaly & not a downward trend

not that i care in and of itself about a 34 ranking vs 44, but the rankings do have real world impacts/consequences

on a tangent, i heard that us news used a new formula for calculating the rankings this year. anyone got details on that, & maybe how that might have affected davis ranking?

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:56 pm

I think library square footage is now involved.

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:59 pm

I don't have the details, but I believe that the percentage of students employed at graduation was incorporated for the first time. I doubt that would be responsible for the Davis drop, though, since I think that Hastings' rate is even lower.

And I think the reason for the lower rep score is that it's such a young law school, so its name doesn't carry as much weight among current professor/judges/attorneys. But I wouldn't be surprised to see this number climb a bit over the next several years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:03 pm

gtg263r wrote:not that i care in and of itself about a 34 ranking vs 44, but the rankings do have real world impacts/consequences
Agreed - if this is the start of a free fall - not good at all. But as is, the difference between 34 and 44 is not going to change how an employer looks at a Davis grad. The difference between Hastings/Davis has always been debatable, and they are still neck and neck. The networking will remain the same.

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:07 pm

--ImageRemoved--

this is interesting i guess

davis dipped into the 40s as recently as 2001/2

thereisnospoon

New

Post by thereisnospoon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:13 pm

I find it disappointing. Doesn't change my decision process, though.

Davis is still a T1 value for a CA resident like me.

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:17 pm

i guess that didnt work

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PugPug

New

Post by PugPug » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:59 pm

BioLaw wrote:Employment is a concern, but I don't know that the 3 or 4 percentage point difference between Davis and other T1 schools should be a cause for concern. Their class is so small that the relatively low number could be attributed to a handful of students at the bottom of the class who aren't proactive about finding employment. I mean, if you're in the bottom 15% of your class, I feel like it's as much your responsibility to get out and network (to make up for the poor grades) as it is the school's responsibility.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Small class = a couple of people could really eff up the statistics.
As far as the 10 point drop, I felt better looking at the past 6-7 years of data. UC Davis and Hastings seem to be flip flopping around the same 10 spots, with sometimes big gains and sometimes big drops.

sockpuppet

Bronze

Post by sockpuppet » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:37 pm

I don't have the details, but I believe that the percentage of students employed at graduation was incorporated for the first time. I doubt that would be responsible for the Davis drop, though, since I think that Hastings' rate is even lower.
The details are that US News made a significant change to the way employment rate is calculated. There are now only two categories: 1) Employed; and 2) Unemployed. Schools used to have several other buckets into which they could shuffle people that would remove unemployed graduates from the formula and boost the Employed at Nine Months figure. Seto's model of the 2008 rankings, using the new employment formula, predicted almost exactly a 10 point drop for Davis relative to last year. But Davis seems to be one of the few schools that was predicted to suffer big consequences and that actually did. Pepperdine and Santa Clara both rose significantly, despite predictions that SCU would fall into T3 and Pepperdine would drop about thirty spots. It seems that either these schools got their shit together and cleaned up their employment surveys enough to offset losses from the new formula, or they figured out some new hole to exploit. Or maybe other schools around them just fared even worse than predicted.

jonzoo

New

Post by jonzoo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:13 pm

I got accepted ... I thought I would, but you just never know. It's good to have this as an option and although there are several other law schools that I've gotten accepted to that are ranked in the 20 to 30 range ... I'm sitting on the rather large waitlist at UCLA ... and it appears that UC Davis has dropped significantly in the rankings this past year, I'm not going to defer completely to that when I make my final decision. I definitely plan on going down to Davis to visit .. it sounds like the type of town that I'd like to live in during law school ... and my visit there as well as the financial aid package comparisons between the schools will be big factors in my decision. As long as UC Davis does not slip further, I don't think that the drop is that important. With the amount of applicants with good numbers wanting to go to the UC law schools, they ought to still be able to maintain solid classes from the overflow of applicants that are not able to get into Berkeley and UCLA which should therefore support their ranking. It seems like the biggest weakness at UC Davis may be on their job placements and that could be corrected with more emphasis in that area. The upcoming construction is also a concern, but that may raise their prestige a bit if they build a new law library.

Once my application went to evaluation it took less than a week to have the decision posted on the website.

JZ

renwoshin

New

Post by renwoshin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:58 am

got in :)

3 months at awaiting eval, 1 day at eval in progress.

my numbers are 3.56/163.

now i have to choose: hastings or davis...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brizz9

Bronze

Post by brizz9 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:03 am

renwoshin wrote:now i have to choose: hastings or davis...
Welcome to my world.

Congrats on the acceptance!

newtocali

New

Post by newtocali » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:37 am

was SO psyched to get into Davis a few wks back, now looking at this whole ranking thing I'm honestly a little bummed. Was WLed at Hastings and am now hoping that they find some room for me.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:58 am

Newtocali, if you look over the rankings the last 7 years, this sort of swap between Hastings and Davis, 30s vs. 40s, has happened before. I'm not saying it isn't disappointing, but there is no telling what the rankings will be when you graduate in 3 years (or how much that will really matter anyway). Davis' alum network is the same as it was 3 days ago before the rankings came out.

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:02 pm

in general, basing a decision on year-to-year rankings basis is awfully shortsighted

gotta look long-term & see generally where the school fits in the big picture

that is assuming of course that this is not the beginning of a major slide downward (see: umiami). but yeah, if you look at the data since the 90s, davis has dipped in to the 40s twice before, but it seems temporary

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:22 pm

Congrats to the people who were accepted!

Still awaiting, yadda yadda...

ihatestudying

New

Post by ihatestudying » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:27 pm

newtocali - pick Davis! I concur with others - I think Hastings/Davis have a pattern of doing major flip flops. Either way, Davis seems to place well in the Bay area, so I'm trying not to be too concerned.

newtocali

New

Post by newtocali » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:40 pm

im goin to the ASW on april 12th, anyone else?

my issue is that my husband and i are both from ny and will most likely end up on the east coast after schools, especially since i want to do intl hr law and that is where most of those NGOs are.

technically if i waited a year i could go to LS in ny and we could schedule his rotations there (hes first yr med school in the bay area).

so what do i do - go to davis next year and stay in the bay for another three, or wait another year so we can move back to ny and i can go to a school in ny?

im also on the WL for hastings so that could possibly but not likely open up as an option

jonzoo

New

Post by jonzoo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:51 pm

Good luck, Azo.

It can take a while to get a decision. I applied in late-November, went complete in early-January and then was awaiting evaluation for 2 1/2 months before I went to evaluation late last week and got my decision yesterday.

JZ

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”