IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tmo

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Postby tmo » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:00 pm

gtg263r wrote:you just have to check it every day

6 pm baby! I literally adjusted my social life for a while.

So apples, snlink, AZ - where ARE the best places to live? Downtown/Central Davis? I am a bit older and am used to fairly quiet living, so no undergrad party hubs... that said, I wouldn't mind a complex with some nice ammenities. I live in a cute old in-law in the East Bay right now that definitely has its charm, but it was built in 1910 and lacks a lot of practical things (mostly space!). So a functional pipe system, garbage disposal and more square footage are on the top of my list!

DodgerDan

Postby DodgerDan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:15 pm

tmo wrote:
gtg263r wrote:you just have to check it every day

So apples, snlink, AZ - where ARE the best places to live? Downtown/Central Davis? I am a bit older and am used to fairly quiet living, so no undergrad party hubs...

Here are a couple apartment complexes that I would recommend staying away from if you want to be away from undergrad party hubs. Stay away from Lexington Apartments which are nice apartments in south Davis right near In N Out and Arlington Farm Apartments which is in west Davis. Year after year, they are known as the party apartments. Also note that some fraternity houses are spread out throughout the city. There is one "frat row" on russel blvd (central Davis/main campus) but there are also a few dispersed throughout the city so check your apartment area out b4 you sign your lease.

My senior year living in Downtown was great. Everything is walking distance from there. You have movie theaters, coop market, farmer's market on weds and sat as well as plenty of bars and restaurants that are stumbling distance home. This is also probably the most popular area for undergrads 21+ so it tends to fill up fast. If you can find some where between 5th and 8th and A and G street, you will find quiet neighborhoods with families and "older grad students" that will be more conducive to the law school environment. I lived on 6th and D and never had a problem studying or getting school work done but was close to the "hussle and bussle" of downtown that occurs between 1st and 5th Street.

tmo

Postby tmo » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:18 pm

Wow Dodgerdan, thanks for the advice. This is extremely helpful.
I also heard a rumor that there is possible a standard apartment application that all of Davis uses - is this true? And is a credit report necessary? (in SF/Oakland, you basically have to bring your credit report the first time you view the apartment or it will be gone by the time you get it to the landlord).

Faye Valentine

Postby Faye Valentine » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:24 pm

Wow, thanks for the info DodgerDan! I've been going through craigslist to try to find apartments, but they all seem to be in the complexes you recommended to avoid. What would you say is a good way to try to find a place in the quiter neighborhoods (btwn 5th & 8th and A & G)?

DodgerDan

Postby DodgerDan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:39 pm

tmo wrote:Wow Dodgerdan, thanks for the advice. This is extremely helpful.
I also heard a rumor that there is possible a standard apartment application that all of Davis uses - is this true? And is a credit report necessary? (in SF/Oakland, you basically have to bring your credit report the first time you view the apartment or it will be gone by the time you get it to the landlord).

I think the application is pretty standard if I remember correctly. As for credit reports, when you meet with the rental agency and decide to take the lease, they will put all of that into motion. But most property management companies will not let you sign a lease until you first view the apartments.

Faye Valentine wrote:Wow, thanks for the info DodgerDan! I've been going through craigslist to try to find apartments, but they all seem to be in the complexes you recommended to avoid. What would you say is a good way to try to find a place in the quiter neighborhoods (btwn 5th & 8th and A & G)?

I reccomend contacting Property Rental Agencies. The big 5 in Davis are Accadian Properties, Lyon Real Estate, Tandem Properties and King Realty. Give them a call and they will mail/e-mail a list of the properties that are available. If you mention the area you are interested in, they will probably try to help narrow it down or point you in the right direction.

edit: added another property agency.
Last edited by DodgerDan on Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne Jarvis

Postby Wayne Jarvis » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:41 pm

I lived at J street Apartments on J street ( :D ) during UG. It's a decent place to live and it was a the cheapest when i was looking. It's a few blocks from downtown and in a very quiet location. Stores are a 5min walk away. I would definitely consider moving back there if Davis would hurry up and give me a decision.

The only con is that freight trains pass right behind the complex during the day and it can get noisy during that time.

There might be a standard app for some complexes because they are owned by the same company, but I don't think there is a city-wide app.
Also, I didn't need a credit report when I moved in. All they wanted was the first check to be cashier's check.

tmo

Postby tmo » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:01 pm

Thanks for the help, both of you guys. It's scary to commit to a place that you know little about, so all the info really helps me make a *hopefully* good decision. I will report back!

axnguyen

Postby axnguyen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:14 am

It's 3:30 AM, and I just found out I'm in. I can't sleep now.

Son of Cicero

Postby Son of Cicero » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:33 am

Congrats, axnguyen! I hope you're not letting the lateness of the hour impede any celebration.
Last edited by Son of Cicero on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azoraraine

Postby azoraraine » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:46 am

tmo wrote:Thanks for the help, both of you guys. It's scary to commit to a place that you know little about, so all the info really helps me make a *hopefully* good decision. I will report back!

edit cause I meant to PM!

jonzoo

Postby jonzoo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:50 am

Does UC Davis reimburse you for travel in their invitations for admitted students to visit the school?

JZ

hippie drum circle

Postby hippie drum circle » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:06 pm

jonzoo wrote:Does UC Davis reimburse you for travel in their invitations for admitted students to visit the school?

JZ

There's info about this on the admitted students website--they'll reimburse you up to $125; see "travel stipends" on the side bar on the AS webite.

Hope to see you there!

jonzoo

Postby jonzoo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:15 pm

Thanks, mate. I hope to get accepted also. I got into U of W so far and I'm hoping that UC Davis and UCLA also accept me, although, obviously, I got a much better chance at getting accepted at UC Davis. I ought to be a strong candidate ... I'm out-of-state with a slightly above their 25th percentile on GPA with an LSAT score appreciably greater than their 75th percentile with an advanced degree. I applied late in November and went complete in early January and have been AWAITING EVALUATION ever since.

JZ

gtg263r

Postby gtg263r » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:17 pm

the catch about the travel stipends is that theres only 50 of them

i dont know if its a lottery, first come first serve or maybe based off how far youre coming from

tmo

Postby tmo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:42 pm

axnguyen wrote:It's 3:30 AM, and I just found out I'm in. I can't sleep now.

Congratulations!

Ginger123

Postby Ginger123 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:57 pm

Yay, we're adding to our number.

Actually the admitted students packet said the travel stipend is only $100 and you have to be travelling farther than 150 miles from the school.

I need a quiet, dog-friendly place that's preferrably walking distance to school and/or downtown. Fill us in about what you find TMO!

tmo

Postby tmo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Will do Ginger. Hoping to hit the jackpot and be done with it by the time we leave on Saturday (aside from finalizing paperwork, deposit payment, etc.). Not sure if that is too wishful or not, but might as well try!

tmo

Postby tmo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:37 pm

By the way, I chatted with my cousin and his wife last night. Both are UCD law grads (they met there and were in the same section,aww) and neither one was accepted until mid-May. Do schools really wait and let you know after seat deposits are due (non-waitlisted ones I mean)? That seems like a bad plan... not that I have been able to pay my seat deposit anyway. The site says to wait for some online payment system coming in early March...

brizz9

Postby brizz9 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:42 pm

tmo wrote:By the way, I chatted with my cousin and his wife last night. Both are UCD law grads (they met there and were in the same section,aww) and neither one was accepted until mid-May. Do schools really wait and let you know after seat deposits are due (non-waitlisted ones I mean)? That seems like a bad plan... not that I have been able to pay my seat deposit anyway. The site says to wait for some online payment system coming in early March...

There were only four regular acceptances on LSN after April 1st last year, fwiw.

tmo

Postby tmo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:51 pm

Interesting - guess they have a busy March ahead of them. My cousins graduated 2 years ago so I'm sure quite a bit has changed.

brizz9

Postby brizz9 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:17 pm

I have a feeling this guy's out at UC Davis (undergrad):
--LinkRemoved--

tmo

Postby tmo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:18 pm

Yikes. That is a little scary.

ihatestudying

Postby ihatestudying » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:19 pm

I saw this this morning, but wtf! I thought Davis was a nice, safe little place! My beautiful imagery of Davis has just been shattered... :(
[url]
--LinkRemoved--[/url]

Student Arrested in UC Davis Bomb Scare
UC Davis Dorm Evacuated, 2 Explosive Devices Found
CBS News Interactive: Crime Beat
DAVIS (CBS) ― A UC Davis freshman is being questioned this morning after police found a homemade bomb in a dorm room last night forcing more than 400 students out of their dorms overnight.

Authorities found what appears to be two homemade pipe bombs in a dorm room last night after getting an anonymous call reporting them. Approximately 400 students were evacuated from the Tercero B dormitory, directed to wait in the nearby dining hall.

The bomb squad from Yolo county was called out. Agents from the FBI and ATF as well as members of the Sacramento County bomb squad are also assisting.

Police say after questioning four students they arrested 19-year-old Mark Woods, a freshman from Torrance.

He's being held on suspicion of materials with the intent to make an explosive or destructive device and other charges.

Officials now have a search warrant and are going through the student's dorm room. They are attempting to determine how to dispose of the bombs, either detonate them in place or remove them and dispose of them elsewhere, reported CBS station KOVR-TV in Sacramento.

Most of the students who had to evacuate the dorm room ended up pulling couches together in the dining hall and passed the time with movies. Many of them have classes this morning.

(© 2008 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

ihatestudying

Postby ihatestudying » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:22 pm

oh oops, looks like someone posted ahead. sorry!

J_

Postby J_ » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:13 pm

axnguyen wrote:It's 3:30 AM, and I just found out I'm in. I can't sleep now.

Congrats axn! We're index twins (though our lsat/gpas are swapped) and that gives me some good hope. Have a fun day celebrating!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”