IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Postby 20160810 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:53 am

rlktntdrmr wrote:pleeasse, admissions gods be merciful and admit meeeee...

Yes, please be merciful and admit this guy!

Good luck all, hope some of you get some good news from UCD today.

SadButTrue

Postby SadButTrue » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:58 pm

It's been a week or two since my last rant so here goes another.

Dear UCD,
As you continue to ignore my application, though it has been complete for three months, you force me to take a last minute trip around the country to decide where I will spend (waste?) a $500 seat deposit. The $500 is not the biggest problem though, the three schools I am being forced to visit, the flights, the hotels, and the rental cars are what upset me the most. And all this because you "review files randomly" and my reasonably timed submission means nothing to you. Well UCD, fuck you. I realize you don't give a shit about me personally, but I have a life, and bills to pay. Your insensitivity makes me sick, you must know though that I will accept your offer immediately, even though you don't treat me right.

I feel like I am in an abusive relationship. If I didn't know and love UCD so much I would be totally turned off by their ridiculousness and would not go even if they did accept me. Bad taste in my mouth. But, like the abused girlfriend I am, I will continue begging for their love...shame.

Dman

Postby Dman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:41 pm

haha. I feel your pain, UCD is my first choice and would go in a heart beat. Alas, I have been "in evaluation" for 3.5 months. At this point, I am a bit turned off as well. I have asked for seat deposit extensions at the couple of "optional' schools and all have been very generous in that regards.

Seriously, why the delay? Does anyone have any insight into the mystery of Davis?

nmoor1501

Postby nmoor1501 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:18 pm

Evaluation in Process!

I actually gasped aloud. I didn't flinch today when I received a bump in my scholarship from another school, but THIS, quite surprising. Now I guess we will see. Hopefully I will have a 3 day turn around, not 3 month!

google

Postby google » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:55 pm

For those hoping for a Davis acceptance, what do you guys like about the school?

rlktntdrmr

Postby rlktntdrmr » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:15 pm

google wrote:For those hoping for a Davis acceptance, what do you guys like about the school?

1) The fact that it's a UC, and the "prestige" that goes along with that

2) The whole small-town/college-town atmosphere

3) Good/better job placement prospects compared to some other schools I applied to

4) The facilities (ie: library) are quite nice

5) It's a public school so the tuition is somewhat less outrageous

SadButTrue

Postby SadButTrue » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:35 pm

google wrote:For those hoping for a Davis acceptance, what do you guys like about the school?

i went to davis for ug. it's a cool school, super relaxed atmosphere, very social place, lots of stuff going on, feels lively all the time, pretty campus. if you haven't checked out the school you should... i think it's hard to describe.
also i'll be bringing a horse and davis is very horse friendly, lots of barns relatively close to town.

aquarium_drinker

Postby aquarium_drinker » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:40 pm

rlktntdrmr wrote:
2) The whole small-town/college-town atmosphere

I just got home from the farmers market in downtown Davis. about 350 people, all sitting around, picnicking on the grass in central park. Kids running around, blues band playing, farmers selling their fruit and veggies.

If you appreciate the small town, community vibe, Davis seems the place to be.

Lior

Postby Lior » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:24 am

Is anyone planning on going to the admitted students open house this weekend (either Friday or Saturday?) I'm really excited that Davis is giving travel stipends!

(To everyone still waiting for decisions: I'm still waiting on Hastings and in the Hastings thread admits keep posting about getting financial aid packages/admit visit days and it makes me wanna set myself on fire. So I feel your pain, and good luck to all of you!!!)

Postby 20160810 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:33 am

To those still waiting: I keep saying it, but just hang tight. I had virtually autoadmit numbers there and they still took from November to March to read over my application and get back to me. You will hear eventually!

To those going to ASD this weekend, be sure to take some pics and post them in the UCD 2012 thread or the facebook group for those of us who can't make it!

baycat80

Postby baycat80 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:53 pm

In via status checker!

crazy. just to let you know how random their admissions process really is, i literally applied at the deadline. my app went from "awaiting evaluation" to "evaluation in progress" a little over a week ago, and last night i found out. (and in case you're wondering, my numbers aren't stellar, but they're within the ranges.)

I wish the best of luck to everybody who's still waiting! looks like they're speeding up the process, so i think you should hear soon.

for me, so begins the classic davis vs. hastings dilemma...

Postby 20160810 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:49 pm

baycat80 wrote:In via status checker!

crazy. just to let you know how random their admissions process really is, i literally applied at the deadline. my app went from "awaiting evaluation" to "evaluation in progress" a little over a week ago, and last night i found out. (and in case you're wondering, my numbers aren't stellar, but they're within the ranges.)

I wish the best of luck to everybody who's still waiting! looks like they're speeding up the process, so i think you should hear soon.

Congratulations! Check out the UCD 2012 thread. We have a Facebook group too. Many of us chose UCD over UCH, but if you want my totally biased $0.02 on the issue, feel free to PM me.

sbalive

Postby sbalive » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:44 pm

Withdrawn. This was a sentimental decision since I have ties to UC Davis... Not only is it a great school already, but perhaps the best part of going there is that the degree will be worth even more and be more recognizable as the years go by. Good luck!

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:19 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
baycat80 wrote:In via status checker!

Congratulations! Check out the UCD 2012 thread. We have a Facebook group too. Many of us chose UCD over UCH, but if you want my totally biased $0.02 on the issue, feel free to PM me.

I too have UCD and UCH as options...but for me I am really stuck with UCH because my g/f needs to be close to Silicon Valley for her career. Too bad really, because UCD seems a lot more relaxed/humane, and I also like the idea of attending law school at a major university.

Oh well, congrats to those choosing UCD!

rwilliams1102

Postby rwilliams1102 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:10 pm

Got into Davis this last weekend! I only spent two weeks with the status being "evaluation in progress!"

Did not get any grant money, but I am holding out hope for a scholarship. I talked to the financial aid people today and they said not all of the scholarship money has gone out, and that it will be awarded by the 15th.

Splitt3r

Postby Splitt3r » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:32 am

rwilliams1102 wrote:Got into Davis this last weekend! I only spent two weeks with the status being "evaluation in progress!"

Did not get any grant money, but I am holding out hope for a scholarship. I talked to the financial aid people today and they said not all of the scholarship money has gone out, and that it will be awarded by the 15th.

Wait hold on...they do, in fact, give out merit scholarships? This is big news...

Postby 20160810 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:01 pm

Splitt3r wrote:
rwilliams1102 wrote:Got into Davis this last weekend! I only spent two weeks with the status being "evaluation in progress!"

Wait hold on...they do, in fact, give out merit scholarships? This is big news...

On the admitted students site they have info on applying for the MLK Public Interest scholarship.

cantstop

Postby cantstop » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:11 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
Splitt3r wrote:

On the admitted students site they have info on applying for the MLK Public Interest scholarship.

Yeah, but it was due Feb. 1st... I certainly wasn't admitted by then and hadn't done my homework as well as I should have. Missed opportunity....

rwilliams1102

Postby rwilliams1102 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:45 pm

cantstop wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:
Splitt3r wrote:

Yeah, but it was due Feb. 1st... I certainly wasn't admitted by then and hadn't done my homework as well as I should have. Missed opportunity....

Yeah Davis has a merit scholarship fund. From the gist I got from the financial aid people it hasn't been awarded in full yet. Especially for the new admits.

Chewbacca Defense

Postby Chewbacca Defense » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:30 pm

Dman wrote:haha. I feel your pain, UCD is my first choice and would go in a heart beat. Alas, I have been "in evaluation" for 3.5 months. At this point, I am a bit turned off as well. I have asked for seat deposit extensions at the couple of "optional' schools and all have been very generous in that regards.

Seriously, why the delay? Does anyone have any insight into the mystery of Davis?

So here's the deal, my friend was brought in as an administrative assistant to the law school to help process the applications and according to him what happened was UC Davis was trying a new eletronic system to sort and process the eletronic applications from lsac, but some thing went wrong and they didn't receive any applications for an entire month before they fixed the problem and everything came in at once and mixed up. So they fell really behind in the admissions process and reviewing application as they come instead of any real order. That's why the decisions are taking so long and coming in at random times, like I received my acceptence a month before my friend (who has the same index as me) even though I submitted my app in late January and she submitted hers in November.

For those of you still waiting there's still hope, so don't take the trip to the nearest suicide booth......yet

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:43 pm

Anyone go to this weekend's ASD? I was at Hastings. I love UCH but the ASD wasn't overly impressive

kimins

Postby kimins » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:30 am

swheat wrote:Anyone go to this weekend's ASD? I was at Hastings. I love UCH but the ASD wasn't overly impressive

i liked the ASD better at hastings then davis--i was SO bored today at davis....plus ppl kept harrassing me about my choices and trying to sell me on ucd which fine you expect but not to this level--ahhh! is all i can say--i politely made up random questions though i really didnt have any-----i was so happy it ended early! ----now i can relax and decide which school i want to attend:)

Postby 20160810 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:42 am

kimins wrote:
swheat wrote:Anyone go to this weekend's ASD? I was at Hastings. I love UCH but the ASD wasn't overly impressive

i liked the ASD better at hastings then davis--i was SO bored today at davis....plus ppl kept harrassing me about my choices and trying to sell me on ucd which fine you expect but not to this level--ahhh! is all i can say--i politely made up random questions though i really didnt have any-----i was so happy it ended early! ----now i can relax and decide which school i want to attend:)

So I didn't miss much at the ASD then?

I wouldn't worry too much about whether an ASD was great or not, figure you're going to be in a place for three years either way that won't much resemble an ASD activity-wise.

Bsoo

Postby Bsoo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:57 am

I actually loved the asd at Davis- and people were super honest and one current student recommended I still seriously consider Lewis and Clark. That said, the alums I met at lunch were much more eager to tell me Davis was way better than going to GW :D

Postby 20160810 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:08 am

Bsoo wrote:I actually loved the asd at Davis- and people were super honest and one current student recommended I still seriously consider Lewis and Clark. That said, the alums I met at lunch were much more eager to tell me Davis was way better than going to GW :D

:lol: Hey, so I'm not the only one picking UCD over GW. Good times.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”