IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ginger123

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Postby Ginger123 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:28 pm

Yeah DC is kind of where I became an adult. I even spent a semester and a summer here in college and basically flew back and forth my senior year for a boyfriend. DC IS my 20s so saying goodbye to it would feel so weird.

That said, I've always had a teensy fantasy about living somewhere charming and rural - my friends joke that my dog would herd pygmy goats. Davis would give me that option while being near enough SF (I incidentally love SF but cant appreciate musicals).

I do love the seasons here, but then again, theres the avocados....

Ginger123

Postby Ginger123 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:01 am

Come on Davis admits....there have to be more than 3-4 of us out there in the universe. Anyone new get accepted? Anyone visiting soon or going to the ASW?

BioLaw

Postby BioLaw » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:58 pm

I mentioned it in the Cali thread, but I'm in at Davis. I think I'll be at the March 15 Admit Day.

tmo

Postby tmo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:04 pm

I'll be there on March 15th too. Look for the 4'11 girl that looks like she's 16 - that's me.

LoseItToMe

Postby LoseItToMe » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:05 pm

tmo wrote:I'll be there on March 15th too. Look for the 4'11 girl that looks like she's 16 - that's me.

is that you in your avatar?

tmo

Postby tmo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:09 pm

Haha, no, that's Chunk from Goonies. I do an impression of him when he's tied up in a chair saying Baby Ruth... ok maybe TMI.

tmo

Postby tmo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:38 pm

Have any of you read the 1L blogs on the admitted student site? Some are more helpful then others, but overall an interesting read if you have the time. I saw that they all seemed to find summer internships without too much trouble - always a good sign.

gtg263r

Postby gtg263r » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:38 pm

where is that

all i can see is the '1l advice' thing, which seems to be little blurbs

tmo

Postby tmo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:42 pm

Look to the right of those Q/A links, and you see a picture of 4 people on top of a staircase. Click on a name, and it will show you a link to their blog.

ihatestudying

Postby ihatestudying » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:33 pm

hellooooo guys!
I've been trying to reduce my TLS obsession over the past few weeks, and it looks like I've missed out on some good Davis talk!!!

I got in and am 70-80% sure I'll be there. I'm waiting to see how financial aid pans out with that and aanother school, but I'm hoping for the best... Also, I've been held somewhere that I'm curious about, but other than that, my cycle is pretty much coming to an end.

ANYWAY, you guys sound so nice. We're going to have a great 1L class!!! ESP with those dinner parties!

So for the original person who asked the tally: i'm 26 going in, so I'm getting towards that 'older law school student' end of the spectrum, I guess. glad to seee others in similar sitch!

Also Yes please sefcond that to the French Laundry thing. I've been dying to go there for ages. I think I'm going to teh March ASW too, but couldn't get a reservation (AGAIN). I'm excited to go to Chez Panisse again though.

ihatestudying

Postby ihatestudying » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:38 pm

HOUSING
thanks for all the UGs who've been supplying their answers about this, but I am still so confused. (And yes, I've visited the wiki so many times!)

I think I'm going to just have to drive around when I get there ASW weekend and see the various neighborhoods so I can get a better idea of pricing, etc. I'll give you guys an update if you want. If I go to Davis, my husband is going to prob. commute to SF, so somewhere easy to get to and from the highway would be nice... Although real estate near the highways never seem to be good... I've been even thinking of Sacramento as a good commuting point (I checked craigslist and it looks like you can get better deals there for some reason -- maybe cuz not as many ppl rent?), but I do want to be close to campus, esp. my first year. i still can't tell teh diff between n/s/w/e davis housing. where the hell is central? Isn't that like a block long?

I'm psyched about getting a bike though. I definitely need a mandatory reason to exercise (despite my best efforts), so biking my ass plus hauling 20lbs of books on a bike is going to be my endurance/strength/cardio for the first year. :twisted:

tmo

Postby tmo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:39 pm

ihatestudying wrote:Also Yes please sefcond that to the French Laundry thing. I've been dying to go there for ages. I think I'm going to teh March ASW too, but couldn't get a reservation (AGAIN). I'm excited to go to Chez Panisse again though.

Mmm, Chez Panisse. Have fun! One day when I can affort TFL, I want to go there too. Some girls dream about their wedding days, I dream about TFL.

tmo

Postby tmo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:41 pm

I'm going on the 8th to find a place. I will report back to all of you.

I'm excited about bikiing too! I sort of want one with a basket and streamers...

ihatestudying

Postby ihatestudying » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:43 pm

Mmm, Chez Panisse. Have fun! One day when I can affort TFL, I want to go there too. Some girls dream about their wedding days, I dream about TFL.

TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!! My husband and I just paid for our own wedding earlier this year (big pat on the back for us). Looking back.. and even during... oh god. I was crying on the inside every time I wrote a check. (Why do our guests need to sit on chairs, really?)

The fun thing about weddings is the tastings though. You can schedule them with really nice caterers and then never use them! sweet!

tmo

Postby tmo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:44 pm

ihatestudying wrote:The fun thing about weddings is the tastings though. You can schedule them with really nice caterers and then never use them! sweet!

This is one of the main reasons I want to get married :)

ihatestudying

Postby ihatestudying » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:45 pm

Did you guys also read that they give you a personal key to teh library.. so you can go there whenever you want? that's hardcore.

i looked at their athletic stuff and i'm so excited. I went to a UG that didn't give a rat's ass about athletics, and we only got an upgraded gym the year I left! I saw Davis has their own horsies that you can take lessons on, and a rock climbing wall and everything! i'm psyched to tap into these resources after 4 yrs out of school. shit, do i actually have to study next year? lol.

gtg263r

Postby gtg263r » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:46 pm

advice:

get a used steel road/touring bike off craigslist for like $100. might take some time adjusting to the posture, esp. if you ride comfort bikes/cruisers, but theyre pretty standard for commuting

unless of course youve got $1k+ to spend on a carbon fiber bike...

tmo

Postby tmo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:48 pm

Wow, no I did NOT see that. Cool! I am so tired of paying $70 a month for a half ass gym. And horses? That's hysterical - maybe I can read some Contracts on one of those.

tmo

Postby tmo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:48 pm

gtg263r wrote:advice:

get a used steel road/touring bike off craigslist for like $100. might take some time adjusting to the posture, esp. if you ride comfort bikes/cruisers, but theyre pretty standard for commuting

I don't really fit road bikes. The wheel is too big. I'm really short, so that might be the problem. i'm thinking pink, that's all I know.

ihatestudying

Postby ihatestudying » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:50 pm

thanks for the tip, gtg!

carbon fiber sounds nice, but I definitely do not deserve/cannot afford to get a 1k bike. the only things I spend money on are travel and food.

.... so look out for me on campus. I'll be the one with the rusty 20 cent bike with the chain falling off. ... vroom vroom...

gtg263r

Postby gtg263r » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:54 pm

oh yeah,

hm, well it is important that the bike frame fits you. a bike thats too big or too small for you can definitely affect enjoyment of riding (to say nothing of what effects it might have on your posture). best idea is going to a bike shop & getting fitted (ignore attempts of salesmen pushing bikes on you). all you need is the right frame size & just scour around craigslist or ebay (if the shipping is cheap) for a bike.

its possible that you could ride a kids bike

i only reccomend steel bikes b/c theyre pretty sturdy (double butted steel is even better). (god forbid) you get hit by a car or something, theres a good chance your bike could still make it out in one piece. (not so w/ an aluminum or cf bike.)

also, so long as a used bike has been kept in good condition (no visible rust or major dents), itll last a long time. no need to pay retail price :)

tmo

Postby tmo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:56 pm

gtg263r wrote:its possible that you could ride a kids bike

Sadly this has worked well for me in the past.

Definitely think I'll go used. Thanks for the tip on aluminum and cf. Knowing me, I will have some sort of accident.

DodgerDan

Postby DodgerDan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:58 pm

ihatestudying wrote:HOUSING
thanks for all the UGs who've been supplying their answers about this, but I am still so confused. (And yes, I've visited the wiki so many times!)

I think I'm going to just have to drive around when I get there ASW weekend and see the various neighborhoods so I can get a better idea of pricing, etc. I'll give you guys an update if you want. If I go to Davis, my husband is going to prob. commute to SF, so somewhere easy to get to and from the highway would be nice... Although real estate near the highways never seem to be good... I've been even thinking of Sacramento as a good commuting point (I checked craigslist and it looks like you can get better deals there for some reason -- maybe cuz not as many ppl rent?), but I do want to be close to campus, esp. my first year. i still can't tell teh diff between n/s/w/e davis housing. where the hell is central? Isn't that like a block long?

I'm psyched about getting a bike though. I definitely need a mandatory reason to exercise (despite my best efforts), so biking my ass plus hauling 20lbs of books on a bike is going to be my endurance/strength/cardio for the first year. :twisted:

Saw your post and wanted to answer your questions. Central Davis is the Downtown Area and Main Campus Area. South Davis is close to the 80 which is a good route to SF. Sacramento is indeed cheaper but...you have to live in Sacramento where the area is a bit checker boarded/shadier and commute about 20-30 minutes to Davis. If I end up at McGeorge, I most likely will live in Davis and commute to Sac just for the nicer area. As for housing, the sooner you can square that away,the better. THis is the time of year where all the freshman and other undergrads really start looking and signing leases. And the ARC (activivites and Recreation Center) aka gym is amazing. Be sure to take full advantage of it and the classes they offer.

aquarium_drinker

Postby aquarium_drinker » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:04 pm

tmo wrote:
gtg263r wrote:advice:

I don't really fit road bikes. The wheel is too big. I'm really short, so that might be the problem. i'm thinking pink, that's all I know.

Find a road bike with 650c wheels (standard road bike wheel size is 700c). 650c wheels make it possible for smaller people to get a proper 20 speed bike. You'll probably need a 49cm frame or smaller.

Do a CL search for 650c and see what pops up.

tmo

Postby tmo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:08 pm

aquarium_drinker wrote:Find a road bike with 650c wheels (standard road bike wheel size is 700c). 650c wheels make it possible for smaller people to get a proper 20 speed bike. You'll probably need a 49cm frame or smaller.

Do a CL search for 650c and see what pops up.

Cool, thank you so much for the tip. I'm not really sure what road bikes I've tried in the past, but I really didn't fit them. One of the better bikes I've had was a folding one because the frame was so tiny. being under five feet makes little things like that hard, but there are certainly ways around it. I would LOVE it if I could find a road bike that fits. I really like how lightweight they are.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”