IN @ UC DAVIS!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BioLaw

Bronze

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Post by BioLaw » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:56 pm

newtocali wrote:im goin to the ASW on april 12th, anyone else?

my issue is that my husband and i are both from ny and will most likely end up on the east coast after schools, especially since i want to do intl hr law and that is where most of those NGOs are.

technically if i waited a year i could go to LS in ny and we could schedule his rotations there (hes first yr med school in the bay area).

so what do i do - go to davis next year and stay in the bay for another three, or wait another year so we can move back to ny and i can go to a school in ny?

im also on the WL for hastings so that could possibly but not likely open up as an option
What law schools on the east coast do you have as options? If they're on par with Davis reputation-wise, I'd probably go to school back there, since the regional differences schould make finding a job on the East Coast easier. And since your husband has the option of going out there too, you wouldn't have to make any sacrifices in your personal life.

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:02 pm

jonzoo wrote:Good luck, Azo.

It can take a while to get a decision. I applied in late-November, went complete in early-January and then was awaiting evaluation for 2 1/2 months before I went to evaluation late last week and got my decision yesterday.

JZ
Thanks, JZ. I'm a borderline candidate, so my nerves are shot at this point. It's nice that they get back to you quickly now after it switches to under eval. Hope to see you there!

brizz9

Bronze

Post by brizz9 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:02 pm

newtocali wrote:im goin to the ASW on april 12th, anyone else?

my issue is that my husband and i are both from ny and will most likely end up on the east coast after schools, especially since i want to do intl hr law and that is where most of those NGOs are.

technically if i waited a year i could go to LS in ny and we could schedule his rotations there (hes first yr med school in the bay area).

so what do i do - go to davis next year and stay in the bay for another three, or wait another year so we can move back to ny and i can go to a school in ny?

im also on the WL for hastings so that could possibly but not likely open up as an option
If you want to end up in New York, I would wait. Don't think Davis will travel well to the East Coast. Also, I don't know this first hand, but from what I've heard international human rights law is extremely difficult to get into outside of the T14. Have you heard differently?

jonzoo

New

Post by jonzoo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:13 pm

Azo,

Is UC Davis your first choice?

Well, even if you don't get accepted outright and they decide to waitlist you, the chances have probably been increased by the new USNW rankings that you'd eventually get an offer from them. I get the feeling there are a lot of people in the Hastings/Davis boat that are not really sure which way to go now that Hastings got a bump and Davis a bang.

JZ

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:15 pm

jonzoo wrote:Azo,

Well, even if you don't get accepted outright and they decide to waitlist you, the chances have probably been increased by the new USNW rankings that you'd eventually get an offer from them. I get the feeling there are a lot of people in the Hastings/Davis boat that are not really sure which way to go now that Hastings got a bump and Davis a bang.

JZ
That would be the understatement of the year (the first choice part). :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ihatestudying

New

Post by ihatestudying » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:16 pm

Newtocali - I didn't realize you were planning on heading back to NYC after graduation. That makes a difference, as I think Davis places much better regionally than it does nation-wide. If that's the case, then I'd consider whatever NY or even east-coast options you have. If you're sure you want to do IHR law, then I'd even consider going to a place like American over Davis, since they have so much coursework in that area. If the SO moving thing isn't an issue for you, and you want to be on the east coast anyway, it might make sense to build on the law community out there... good luck though! tough choices!

newtocali

New

Post by newtocali » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:18 pm

yea, ive definitely heard differently, and done research. i work for an organization like this now, and have alot of connections in the particular field that i want to work in (middle east stuff). im looking at ngos, think tanks and possibly gvt.

jonzoo

New

Post by jonzoo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:23 pm

"That would be the understatement of the year (the first choice part)."

Yes, I noticed that as I just got done sorting through this thread.

JZ

thereisnospoon

New

Post by thereisnospoon » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:56 pm

Azo, gl from me also. My first choice is keeping me in limbo too...no fun.

I will be really bummed if the Davis finaid package comes in lower than their estimate. It's hard to imagine they would be far off, though. This is what they do for a living, after all.

I'm planning on going to ASW on the 12th, barring a terrible finaid offer.

For those on the wl, remember that wl=hope. You might consider a LOCI, Sockpuppet's blog has some good info on these.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:45 am

BioLaw wrote:
jonzoo wrote:Azo,

JZ
That would be the understatement of the year (the first choice part). :D
Well, considering my second choice is now making fraps at Starbucks for a year, you can understand my obsession :) . Like most divorced people w/ kids, I have a move away clause in my agreement - plus my folks live in Davis and I wouldn't separate my kids from their grandparents.

Yeah, it looks like a good year to be trying to get into Davis! Trying to stay positive - even though it appears mine may be the last app in the pile...

Thanks for all the good wishes. Soothe my frazzled nerves, they do.

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:21 am

Dear UC Davis Admissions Office,

Please let Azoraine in.

That is all.

XOXO,

TLS UC Davis Thread

ihatestudying

New

Post by ihatestudying » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:23 am

seriously.
azo - you should do a weekly stop-in to chat with their staff. bring some brownies or something. haha, j/k.

matt79

New

Post by matt79 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 am

If they have any sense they will let her in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:10 pm

matt79 wrote:If they have any sense they will let her in.
True dat.

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:21 pm

:oops: :D :!:

You guys are so awesome. Please come by the Davis Starbucks for your free coffee drinks. Those who give me logic games tips receive extra shots of espresso.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:25 pm

azoraraine wrote::oops: :D :!:

You guys are so awesome. Please come by the Davis Starbucks for your free coffee drinks. Those who give me logic games tips receive extra shots of espresso.
If you don't get in this year I will help you with logic games. I honestly really really like them. Total geek I know. On my vacation last month I brought all my LSAT books up for a bonfire and ended up sitting down with logic games with a bottle of wine one night. Sadly, this was the section I somehow bombed on the actual LSAT after not getting one wrong in months... c'est la vie.

The verdict: I should have taken the logic games section completely shitfaced. Who knew.

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:29 pm

A bottle of wine and LSAT books...after you've taken the test...that made me laugh.

Seriously though, I think the stress and pacing of the logic games is by far the hardest thing to prepare for. It's really hard to get your brain into that mode, especially if you have it early in the test.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:32 pm

BioLaw wrote: It's really hard to get your brain into that mode, especially if you have it early in the test.
Damned September test. If I had sat one seat to the left, I honestly think I would have scored 5 points higher (games being second in half the tests). I actually walked out for a deep breathe during that section.

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:34 pm

I took the September test too, and I think that if I hadn't had the experience of taking the LSAT before, I would have been totally thrown off. "Luckily" I had already had the experience of bombing the logic games on a real LSAT once, so I was able to fight through it the second time.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:35 pm

Yeah - sometimes I question myself for not retaking, but my practice range was a 5 point one, and I just happened to score at the bottom of that range. So f- it. Was going to end up at Davis anyway.

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:36 pm

tmo wrote:Yeah - sometimes I question myself for not retaking, but my practice range was a 5 point one, and I just happened to score at the bottom of that range. So f- it. Was going to end up at Davis anyway.
You're where you want to be anyway, I wouldn't retake if I were you either. I didn't get into the schools that I wanted to go to last year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:38 pm

BioLaw wrote:
tmo wrote:Yeah - sometimes I question myself for not retaking, but my practice range was a 5 point one, and I just happened to score at the bottom of that range. So f- it. Was going to end up at Davis anyway.
You're where you want to be anyway, I wouldn't retake if I were you either. I didn't get into the schools that I wanted to go to last year.
Yeah, and even if I scored at the top of my range, getting money still wouldn't be likely from there, so I'm over it.

ihatestudying

New

Post by ihatestudying » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:41 pm

OMG, can we pls stop talking about lsats? ;)

Just the memory of logic games makes me want to hurl. Some day, I will let guys know of all the trouble I went to for the LSAT in June -- only to have completely bombed it and used an earlier score! ugh. This actually motivates me to clean out my closet this wknd so I can throw out all those friggin powerscore books.

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:47 pm

I am soooo happy I never have to look at the LSAT again. I scored on the low end of my range too but I just couldn't handle taking that POS test again. I told everyone that the Bar exam will be the last standardized test I ever take.

Sigh.

When this is all said and done we should take our student loan money and have a great meal in Napa.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:47 pm

Ginger123 wrote:When this is all said and done we should take our student loan money and have a great meal in Napa.
I'm there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”