IN @ UC DAVIS!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DCDeckard

New

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Post by DCDeckard » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:55 am

cantstop wrote:
DCDeckard wrote:
jenbren wrote:I just received the good news! I'm in! Too bad they are only giving me until 4/15 to accept their offer! That is totally whack.
I just checked and I'm in as well--pdf letter dated 4/10. I'm in DC so I have yet to receive a hard copy. The pdf letter also says I have to respond by the 15th!! That is completely ridculous, considering that's 2 days from now and I have not even received my letter. Anyone have success getting a deposit extension, and if so who did you email/talk to? How much is the deposit anyway?
I'm pretty sure the letter you get ( that doesn't have a huge red "unofficial" watermarked across it) gives you three weeks from the date of your letter. So does the admitted students website.

First deposit is $250, second is $500.
That is much more reasonable. I can stop hyperventilating now.

wildcats12

New

Post by wildcats12 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:00 am

went complete in Jan and still haven't heard anything...i'm guessing this could be good since my numbers are borderline. does being from out-of-state help if your borderline?

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:30 am

wildcats12 wrote:went complete in Jan and still haven't heard anything...i'm guessing this could be good since my numbers are borderline. does being from out-of-state help if your borderline?
Residency does not matter for UC schools. Welcome to the waiting for 4+ months club.

wildcats12

New

Post by wildcats12 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:00 pm

emoticons777 wrote:
wildcats12 wrote:went complete in Jan and still haven't heard anything...i'm guessing this could be good since my numbers are borderline. does being from out-of-state help if your borderline?
Residency does not matter for UC schools. Welcome to the waiting for 4+ months club.
damn...so im guessing i still have no shot

DCDeckard

New

Post by DCDeckard » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:53 pm

wildcats12 wrote:
emoticons777 wrote:
damn...so im guessing i still have no shot
Don't lose hope, I went complete and just found out today, so they are indeed still accepting people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pretzellogic

New

Post by pretzellogic » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:53 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Davis places a ton of graduates into the Sacramento market and govt/PI jobs (of which there are of course a ton in Sacramento), which tend to be lower paying. According to ILRG's most recently published data, comparing the two school's median private sector salaries yields a much smaller disparity ($120,000 for Hastings, $103,000 for Davis) which can be almost entirely explained by the different costs of living/salaries between Sacramento and Bay Area firms.

hth
Thanks for the replies, but now the question is why they're living and working in Sacramento. I know most people in California, including people living in Sacramento currently, would prefer to live and work in the Bay. Is this a matter of necessity, i.e. it's harder for Davis grads to find work in SF than in Sacramento?

Are the jobs in SF just not there for Davis grads?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:53 pm

emoticons777 wrote:
OFFICIALLY it doesnt matter. But Hastings at least uses heavy yield protection, ie. "how likely is this student to attend if accepted?" And they DO look at location with making this consideration.

Source: heard it directly from the Hastings assistant admissions director ('we don't consider a 170+ from NYC to be a serious applicant")

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:00 pm

pretzellogic wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:Davis places a ton of graduates into the Sacramento market and govt/PI jobs (of which there are of course a ton in Sacramento), which tend to be lower paying. According to ILRG's most recently published data, comparing the two school's median private sector salaries yields a much smaller disparity ($120,000 for Hastings, $103,000 for Davis) which can be almost entirely explained by the different costs of living/salaries between Sacramento and Bay Area firms.

hth
Thanks for the replies, but now the question is why they're living and working in Sacramento. I know most people in California, including people living in Sacramento currently, would prefer to live and work in the Bay. Is this a matter of necessity, i.e. it's harder for Davis grads to find work in SF than in Sacramento?

Are the jobs in SF just not there for Davis grads?[/quote]

http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 0&g=1&pp=5

SF = #2 UCD destination
Oak = #5
SJ = #7
Walnut Creek= #10

adding the 4 sets together, thats 784 grads. Sac + Davis = 953. Jobs in the Bay Area are clearly there for UCD grads. You will do better in the Bay Area than grads from every school from Hastings down.

naturalexponent

New

Post by naturalexponent » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:10 pm

how long were you guys in evaluation before you received a decision?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:14 pm

naturalexponent wrote:how long were you guys in evaluation before you received a decision?
I don't know if there's a standard answer to that. Some it was two weeks, some it's been two months with no response. Check LSN maybe for people with your numbers.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:52 pm

naturalexponent wrote:how long were you guys in evaluation before you received a decision?
I was "awiting eval" from Nov to Feb but only in eval for 2 weeks.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:55 pm

pretzellogic wrote:

hth

Are the jobs in SF just not there for Davis grads?
Less traffic, no earthquakes, CoL about 30-50% lower, warmer weather: I love SF, but I know tons of people (including myself) who would prefer to live and work in Sacramento, so I don't know that that's a fair statement to make. It's the sort of place that grows on you, like a rash.

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:27 pm

"Evaluation still in progress"

Le sigh.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:03 pm

Whitty wrote:"Evaluation still in progress"

Le sigh.
+1

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:00 am

My seat is opening up on Wednesday. Hope one of you guys get it!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:10 am

swheat wrote:My seat is opening up on Wednesday. Hope one of you guys get it!
Hastings?

jibstir13

New

Post by jibstir13 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:19 am

In via status checker!

link to letter dated the 10th...The letter states that the first deposit is due on the 15th...

I haven't received my official admission packet yet...Has anyone who has received a packet within the last week been given a date later than the one stated in the status checker?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SDGirl

New

Post by SDGirl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:31 am

uggghhhhh

I even had a dream last night that I got into Davis. In my dream I was jumping up and down saying "I'm going to King Hall!"

Checked my status checker in the morning and it still says "evaluation in progress" :roll:

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:36 am

jibstir13 wrote:In via status checker!

link to letter dated the 10th...The letter states that the first deposit is due on the 15th...

I haven't received my official admission packet yet...Has anyone who has received a packet within the last week been given a date later than the one stated in the status checker?
Congrats!! Hope to be seeing you in the fall.

rosieposie

New

Post by rosieposie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:41 am

emoticons777 wrote:
Whitty wrote:"Evaluation still in progress"

Le sigh.
+1
+1 gah.

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:32 am

jibstir13 wrote:In via status checker!

We talked about this yesterday. Pretty sure you get three weeks from the official letter's date see the messages above on this page.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:42 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
Hastings?
Yup, unless I get in at Colorado. Then it's back to the drawing board.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:17 am

swheat wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:
Hastings?
My dog saw all the ducks wandering around the UCD campus and said she'd kill me if I picked Hastings instead.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:24 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
swheat wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:
Hastings?
My dog saw all the ducks wandering around the UCD campus and said she'd kill me if I picked Hastings instead.
Haha...my French bulldog would probably have a heart attack in Davis' 100 degree summers though

aquarium_drinker

New

Post by aquarium_drinker » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:06 pm

swheat wrote:
Haha...my French bulldog would probably have a heart attack in Davis' 100 degree summers though
My girlfriend's pug survived the Davis summer....

.......barely

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”