IN @ UC DAVIS!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ginger123

New

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Post by Ginger123 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:13 pm

My internet still wont work, grrrrrr.

Ugh, I really should haul a bunch of heavy boxes to the UPS store and mail them to CA, but I'm soooo lazy.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:16 pm

Ginger123 wrote:Azzzzz...

What's the weather like there today? Also, do you know where Renaissance Park and Lakeshore Apartments are? Are they close to school?

What's growing in the garden?

Ginger it looks like Renaissance Park is in SOuth Davis, just across from the freeway - the wiki doesn't give it great reviews though: http://daviswiki.org/Renaissance_Park_Apartments.
Lakeshore Apartments are in West Davis - I was supposed to take a look but got tired and never did: http://daviswiki.org/Lakeshore_Apartments. Not all that close to school but it would be nice and quiet out there. What kind of dog do you have again?

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:26 pm

A sweet 50lb shepherd mix. Looks kind of like a German shep and a Corgi mated.

What kills me is that in towns like 5-10 miles away you can rent adooooorable craftsman bungalows for like 850!! UGH I hate apartment complexes.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:55 pm

Yeah there are some cute places in Winters and such. IMO, West Davis is far enough that I would probably drive to school, in which maybe the extra few miles wouldn't be that big of a deal? I would google map it to see what the mileage different actually is. You might be a more hard core biker than I am, in which West Davis would be just fine!

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:57 pm

No, I'm barely a biker. Being the LA girl that I am, I pretty much drive anywhere.

My only fear of living outside Davis is that no one would come over to my dinner parties and brunches! :)

That, and I'd like to be near the farmers market. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:08 pm

ThatNoahGuy wrote:Thanks for the welcome, Ginger & Az!

So are you going to Davis for sure Ginger. Congrats if your decision is made! Az....should we join a status checkers anonymous group or something?
Noah,

I have the same upward grade trend. I am hoping UCD (unlike most places, from what I've gathered) will at least consider it a minor plus.

That place sounds awesome. I grew up in NC, and spent some time in GA. I miss the woods out there. I haven't seen a box turtle in so long!

I can't believe this will all be over in 2-3 weeks. Sigh. Where else are you thinking about going? I am going to McGeorge in Sac if Davis gives me the bad PDF.

sockpuppet

Bronze

Post by sockpuppet » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:13 pm

That place sounds awesome. I grew up in NC, and spent some time in GA. I miss the woods out there. I haven't seen a box turtle in so long!
What I really miss are thunderstorms. I swear I've seen lightning exactly once in the whole time I've been here. I just don't fully trust any place without thunderstorms.

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:14 pm

Ginger123 wrote:No, I'm barely a biker. Being the LA girl that I am, I pretty much drive anywhere.

My only fear of living outside Davis is that no one would come over to my dinner parties and brunches! :)

That, and I'd like to be near the farmers market. :D
I wouldn't live in South Davis. If you're across the highway, you might was well live in Winters. I had a friend in grad school who did. It's an easy commute. Instead of the farmer's market, you can probably just walk over into the field next to your house and steal vegetables :) .

West Davis is not such a bad bike ride, you guys! It's sort of a dull area, but don't worry about the biking. You'll toughen up.

It was Seattle weather yesterday, but better today. Soon it will be like an oven, but I happen to like that - so, bring it.

I am having problems bc my son is being bullied in preschool, so I am having to spend more time in the real world. Hope you all are well! August is coming up so quick...

I would (and will) drive to Emily's house if she goes to Hastings for dinner parties, so move to Winters if you like, G. My kids do better in the country anyway. If there are bugs around, I may actually get to have a conversation while they "examine" (torture) them.

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:18 pm

sockpuppet wrote:
What I really miss are thunderstorms. I swear I've seen lightning exactly once in the whole time I've been here. I just don't fully trust any place without thunderstorms.
Yes! We had a screened porch overlooking the woods. I have so many happy memories of sitting out there watching the storms while my dad smoked these horrid cigars. I try to explain to my kids about lightening (which they see in books), but they have no reference.

Said kids up from naps - - -

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:29 pm

Went to my local cheesemonger's boutique tonight for the opening of the wine and cheese bar they opened inside.

Had outstanding French white burgundy and was slayed by the charcuterie and cheese plate. Raw milk manchego...Belletoile triple cream...Buttermilk blue. Fennel salami, serrano ham, and lomo!!

Made me look forward even more to Davis!

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:33 pm

mmmm, cheese sounds fantastic. I'm jealous. But too lazy to get up and go get any.

AZ is right, West Davis isn't all that far - a lot of students live over there. And I thought it preferable to South Davis for sure. I guess it's just that I don't bike a lot right now so it seems far. I don't really drive either - I just live close to everything I need (walking distance) and right next to a Bart line. So I will have to get used to this biking thing!!

oopivyoo

New

Post by oopivyoo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:21 pm

I'm in Davis today checking out the campus and the town. Its a pretty nice little community, really friendly and the law school seems pretty close as well. I decided to check out some apartments incase I don't get into the on campus housing and found out some suprising news. So, I guess the apartments around here pretty much all leased from Sept 1st (ish) through September 1st. I guess the undergraduate campus operates on this schedual so it works out fine for them, but what about us law school folk? I know King hall has its first orientation around the middle of August, so does this mean we all have to be homeless for a couple of weeks? I really wanted to move in at least a few weeks before school started in order to get settled in, but this might make that a little difficult. Has anyone else run into this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:46 pm

Oopivyoo, we ran into the same issue. It seems like the law school is one of the only schools that starts in August and thus housing doesn't accomodate us. However, once we actually started looking, we were pleasantly surprised that many property managers were willing to accomodate us. When we said August 1 or August 15, most seemed to say "oh I'm sure we can do that, someone is always trying to get out of their lease early". I mean think about it, everyone is stuck in these September-September leases, and there are many people that probably want to leave for the summer, so there will be more availabilities than you would think. That said, most listings will be for September 1 - just go see apartments you are interested in and then have the "talk" with the property manager - there were only a couple that didn't think an earlier move in date would work. Also, there will probably be several listings on Craigslist the month or two before you want to move in for your specific move in date. Hope that helps!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:59 pm

What you can do (and what I may do) is find someone who's trying to get out their lease early (like mid-June or July) and then take over their lease on the condition that management be able to resign a new year lease starting in September.

The pros of this are that a lot of people who are in a rush to leave will leave behind their deposit or prorate the summer rent or pay your utilities for the summer - anything to get you to take the place. I've seen a bunch of these on the Sacramento Craigslist - I just cant move right this second.

The Davis 3L told me its really not hard to find housing and that he started looking a month before school started and was fine.

oopivyoo

New

Post by oopivyoo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:26 am

Thanks, Its almost like taking a leap of faith just to be able to get an apartment in Davis! What amazes me are the prices though. 2 bedrooms going for an average of $1200?? That seems a little steep for a small town in the middle of nowhere (except the middle of nowhere happens to be the place I really want to go to school!). I'm from Bakersfield which is also in the middle of nowhere and I could rent a 3 to 4 bedroom house for that. But I guess I shouldn't complain as my next option (Hastings) is much more expensive. I'm guess Im just a little nervous about waiting until June to see whether or not I'll be taking my wife and kids to a home or to a hotel.

PugPug

New

Post by PugPug » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:24 am

oopivyoo wrote:Thanks, Its almost like taking a leap of faith just to be able to get an apartment in Davis! What amazes me are the prices though. 2 bedrooms going for an average of $1200?? That seems a little steep for a small town in the middle of nowhere (except the middle of nowhere happens to be the place I really want to go to school!). I'm from Bakersfield which is also in the middle of nowhere and I could rent a 3 to 4 bedroom house for that. But I guess I shouldn't complain as my next option (Hastings) is much more expensive. I'm guess Im just a little nervous about waiting until June to see whether or not I'll be taking my wife and kids to a home or to a hotel.
I see $1200 for a two bedroom and I think, OMG are you serious THAT IS THE MOST AMAZING THING EVER. But I hail from LA so... :wink:
*Actually, if I saw $1200 for a one bedroom I would think that was still the most amazing thing ever... hahaha!
But I see what you're saying. (I'm just giving you a hard time :mrgreen: )

ihatestudying

New

Post by ihatestudying » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:07 pm

I'm guess Im just a little nervous about waiting until June to see whether or not I'll be taking my wife and kids to a home or to a hotel.
I feel your pain. I probably won't have another chance to fly out there before school starts, so looking for housing will be pretty much internet-based, at this point. I hate that, so I'll be depending on you guys for apt reports!

azo - sorry ot hear about the bullying!

ginger , tmo, gtg - congrats on getting closer to the deposit process!!! I'm still holding out for another week or so to hear something from financial aid, but I'm getting closer to the deal. I am psyched to see that they take credit cards for deposits, though. I get double miles for school-related expenses. :) :mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:10 pm

PugPug wrote:
oopivyoo wrote:Thanks, Its almost like taking a leap of faith just to be able to get an apartment in Davis! What amazes me are the prices though. 2 bedrooms going for an average of $1200?? That seems a little steep for a small town in the middle of nowhere (except the middle of nowhere happens to be the place I really want to go to school!). I'm from Bakersfield which is also in the middle of nowhere and I could rent a 3 to 4 bedroom house for that. But I guess I shouldn't complain as my next option (Hastings) is much more expensive. I'm guess Im just a little nervous about waiting until June to see whether or not I'll be taking my wife and kids to a home or to a hotel.
I see $1200 for a two bedroom and I think, OMG are you serious THAT IS THE MOST AMAZING THING EVER. But I hail from LA so... :wink:
*Actually, if I saw $1200 for a one bedroom I would think that was still the most amazing thing ever... hahaha!
But I see what you're saying. (I'm just giving you a hard time :mrgreen: )
Haha, Pugpug, this was my thought as well. $1200 is amazing to me - I honestly don't think you can get a decent one bedroom in SF for that (I remember last looking for one bedrooms that were on average about $1500). I live in a 400 square foot in-law for $1350 in the East Bay, and it's much cheaper over here!! Sooo, it's all relative. Good luck oopivyoo - I'm sure something will work out for you, and I don't think you'll have to wait until June. Go look at a few complexes while you're there if you can to get an idea of what you can get for the money - there were some identically priced places that were NOT comparable in quality, so it's very worth touring to see what the units are like.

tmo

Bronze

Post by tmo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:12 pm

ihatestudying wrote:
I'm guess Im just a little nervous about waiting until June to see whether or not I'll be taking my wife and kids to a home or to a hotel.
I feel your pain. I probably won't have another chance to fly out there before school starts, so looking for housing will be pretty much internet-based, at this point. I hate that, so I'll be depending on you guys for apt reports!

azo - sorry ot hear about the bullying!

ginger , tmo, gtg - congrats on getting closer to the deposit process!!! I'm still holding out for another week or so to hear something from financial aid, but I'm getting closer to the deal. I am psyched to see that they take credit cards for deposits, though. I get double miles for school-related expenses. :) :mrgreen:

Did you email them? I don't think you'll get any financial info before the 16th unless you ask for it.

Oh, and totally missed the thing about bullying AZ. Kids are mean, and that's tough. Hopefully it will pass soon!! :cry:

ThatNoahGuy

New

Post by ThatNoahGuy » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:58 pm

Az-

I blanketed a bunch of different ranked schools. American and Hastings already dinged me. I got in at some T3's in state, but I'm really trying to get out of MI. I'm still waiting to hear from Chicago-Kent, Seattle U, Oregon, USF (but I don't think I'd go even if I got in), and Case Western Reserve. I shot myself in the foot by applying last minute, so I'm not expecting much. If I don't get into any of my out of state schools, I'm going to Wayne State. They've got a pretty good record of getting transfers to Michigan if you get in the top 10% of the class, which I'm confident (hopefully not falsely) I can do.

I really hope Davis sees how great students we'd be! I feel like if they filmed our undergrad, they'd have to turn it into a montage with the Rocky theme playing in the background.

So what's this no lightning you guys are talking about? I just can't fathom this. I've lived in Michigan or Florida all my life...lightning storms are some of my favorite things about the summer!

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:41 pm

OMG OMG OMG I'm back online at the deposit site!!!

Why am I freaking out about this?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ThatNoahGuy

New

Post by ThatNoahGuy » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:31 pm

So is the deed done or what Ginger?

I'm pumped for ya! Just one step closer. :)

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:50 pm

Yay I did it!

I'm officially going to Davis!

ThatNoahGuy

New

Post by ThatNoahGuy » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:54 pm

Congrats Ginger!

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:45 pm

Congrats, Ginger!

Noah, I don't know if I deserve any Rocky music. The bad grades in my freshman year(s) were the result of paying too much attention to beer, waitressing and cute punk guitarists than any real adversity :) . At least if you've had a couple of really good years they can tell you're capable. If rankings weren't involved I have a feeling upward trends might carry more weight. But the schools are really hamstrung into focusing on that LSAC GPA, and since I earned those Cs I guess I will take my rejection with as much grace as I can muster :roll: . I seriously hope we both get in. We can giggle about how damn lucky we are.

My big guy's carnival and talent show was today. He was the only kid running around on the stage pretending to be Spider-Man while the others stayed in line and dutifully sang the little song they practiced :D . Different drummer.

Still not under eval. I am having a hard time believing they haven't even opened my app yet. I have a feeling I'm such a weird applicant they sort of have it on top of the fridge, just in case they need a little diversity at the last minute. Trying, trying not to freak out. And getting used to the idea of McGeorge. Like PP said, getting my family into an upward trajectory is first and foremost right now. Full steam ahead!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”