IN @ UC DAVIS!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
azoraraine

New

Re: IN @ UC DAVIS!!

Post by azoraraine » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:28 am

Oh man, I was looking on the UCD website and they have this fantastic prof who does reproductive/genetic family law stuff. I would be sooo into that kind of thing. Not that I'm headed for academia, but...So cool. I edit a genetics journal, and I mentioned an interest in family law - so I'm just, like, pul-leeze let this woman be one of the adcomms :wink: .

Davis, we were meant for each other! Open my app and you will see!
Last edited by azoraraine on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

sockpuppet

Bronze

Post by sockpuppet » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:40 am

Ok, what is the deal with the citrus peel helmet squad? Speaking of which, what the heck happened to val?

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:07 am

sockpuppet wrote:Ok, what is the deal with the citrus peel helmet squad? Speaking of which, what the heck happened to val?
It's sort of in honor of Val, whom I miss very much. I always felt like that cat was sort of the mascot of the wacky CA Acceptances/Denials thread, but every time someone uses it as an avatar they disappear in a cloud of vexation. I choose to believe it was the cat that was the problem. The melon confers only good luck (and drosophila) on its wearers. I'm keeping it on until Davis gives me the PDF bomb. Then I'm wearing vodka.

sockpuppet

Bronze

Post by sockpuppet » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:53 am

It's sort of in honor of Val, whom I miss very much.
Yeah, even that blog she started is gone. Come back, val! Don't be sad!

J_

New

Post by J_ » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:49 pm

Yeah so what happened to the lime heads? They just vanished into the ether for no reason.

Love that avatar :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jonzoo

New

Post by jonzoo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:36 pm

Hastings waitlisted you with a 169 and 3.4 in engineering? That's ridiculous. I think you are a Davis auto-admit.[/quote]

And I got a Masters in EE as well. My personal statement to them was primarily an essay on how the USA is becoming a police state ... I used several examples of the bush adminstration's behavior to support my contentions ... and how the courts are our last line of defense in protecting our civil liberties and that's one of the reasons that I am interested in law. That may have not gone over too well with some members of their admissions committee.

JZ

jonzoo

New

Post by jonzoo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:40 pm

Faye Valentine wrote:Jonzoo, I've got high hopes for you & Davis! Are you looking at any other options?

Also, I've only visited Davis twice, but both times, I spent the whole day there. Once was during the summer, and once was during the winter, and I didn't get even a whiff of cow dung. I think it's a bit of an exaggeration. Besides, I'd rather have the occasional smell of cow than the perpetual stank of piss that hovers over Hastings. (Okay, somewhat of an exaggeration, but it's pretty bad sometimes.)
Yes. I am currently waitlisted at UCLA and have acceptances from several schools ranked in the 20s according to US News and World Report.

JZ

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:50 pm

jonzoo wrote:Hastings waitlisted you with a 169 and 3.4 in engineering? That's ridiculous. I think you are a Davis auto-admit.

And I got a Masters in EE as well. My personal statement to them was primarily an essay on how the USA is becoming a police state ... I used several examples of the bush adminstration's behavior to support my contentions ... and how the courts are our last line of defense in protecting our civil liberties and that's one of the reasons that I am interested in law. That may have not gone over too well with some members of their admissions committee.

JZ
Yeah, that'll do it. Did you really use the phrase "police state"? Although I'm not a fan of the Bush administration either, but I don't think we're exactly to the police state stage yet.
Last edited by BioLaw on Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valrp

New

Post by valrp » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:53 pm

sockpuppet wrote:
It's sort of in honor of Val, whom I miss very much.
Yeah, even that blog she started is gone. Come back, val! Don't be sad!
I'm back here but that stupid blog is gone forever.

I <3 Sock. :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sockpuppet

Bronze

Post by sockpuppet » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:36 pm

I'm back
Yay!

jonzoo

New

Post by jonzoo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:04 pm

Yeah, that'll do it. Did you really use the phrase "police state"? Although I'm not a fan of the Bush administration either, but I don't think we're exactly to the police state stage yet.

Yes, I did. Remember, I did say becoming a police state although there is no "police state-ometer" that goes off when a country becomes a police state since there is no objective measurement of it.

Have you seen the prison stats in the USA that recently came out? We incarcerate more people than any other country ... including China ... and also more people per capita. It's also very likely that the bush administration was doing warrantless domestic spying on American citizens ... you don't need legal immunity if you haven't broken the law, right? We have a president ... and a vice-president .... and our last two attorney generals, that have pretty much taken the stance that whatever the president does makes it legal for him to do so. In other words, he is above the law. They have pretty much destroyed checks and balances in our government and openly disobey Congress so it falls upon the courts to keep them from seizing more power and, partially as a consequence, seizing more of our rights. The only way that we are going to find about the extent of their warrantless wiretapping is through court cases and that is a big reason why the bush administration wants retroactive immunity for the telecoms ... those cases would be dismissed and there would be no discovery.

And the laws ... for us, the people ... aren't getting more lax, they are only getting stricter. No such thing as retroactive immunity for us, I guess.

Also, from my observances, the police themselves have become much more aggressive in this country as well.

JZ

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Well, I definitely didn't mean to argue with you about it. You obviously feel very strongly about it. But there is a chance that an adcomm member might have had a problem with those views, depending on how they were worded.

jonzoo

New

Post by jonzoo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:26 pm

Well, I definitely didn't mean to argue with you about it. You obviously feel very strongly about it. But there is a chance that an adcomm member might have had a problem with those views, depending on how they were worded.

Agreed. It was a controversial personal statement and it wasn't a wise decision to focus on that subject matter in my personal statement. I changed it for this cycle although I got accepted last time at several higher ranked law schools than UC Hastings and got offered a full-ride at Baylor ... in Texas ... with that statement.

JZ

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jonzoo

New

Post by jonzoo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:38 pm

Actually, Uc Hastings was the only school that did not outright accept me last cycle except for another school which I believe misplaced my file because they never sent me a decision and kept changing their stories about when they were going to make a decison on my app until they somehow came to the conclusion that they had decided months before to reject me. And I pretty much had auto-admit numbers for them and they had given me a fee waiver as well ... not that that means they have to accept you.

Overall, I applied to about 7 or 8 schools ranked within the 20 to 50 range and got accepted to all of them with that statement accept Hastings ... and the one other school that must have auto-rejected me with such ferocity that they knocked my application off-campus and weren't able to find it until months later.

JZ

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:39 pm

Waiting with bated breath for my Davis Fin Aid package which is supposed to come by April 1st. Hope they give me more than they projected after seeing my sad FAFSA.

tamtam

New

Post by tamtam » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:50 am

i havent heard a word from davis. my status is currently completed--awaiting evaluation (more than a month already). can anyone please tell me what's next.

matt79

New

Post by matt79 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:41 am

Mine was "Awaiting Evaluation" for about two months. It then changed to "Evaluation In Progress" for a little over a week before changing to "Decision Letter Sent--Click Here To View."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

renwoshin

New

Post by renwoshin » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:24 am

sigh... i went complete on 1/08 and i haven't heard anything. status still at "awaiting evaluation"; lousy davis

azoraraine

New

Post by azoraraine » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:29 am

renwoshin wrote:sigh... i went complete on 1/08 and i haven't heard anything. status still at "awaiting evaluation"; lousy davis
I have a feeling it's going to be one of those years where they do May decisions. I certainly understand where you're coming from. At this point I would take a quick, merciful rejection* just to put me out of this agony.

*No rejection, please (nod to PP;-)

windslashz

New

Post by windslashz » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:43 am

Went complete awhile back and I'm still in the same boat. I called them a week ago, and they said not to worry. They said they actually do read the entire applications, which is really amazing and time consuming (if they do really do that).

shayan

New

Post by shayan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:39 am

Hi
I know most of you will go to the JD program in Davis. However, what do you think about their LLM program?
I applied in GWU, Fordham, Davis and Tulane?
Does Davis worthwhile to go for a graduate program?
Thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gtg263r

Bronze

Post by gtg263r » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:53 am

when i was at lewis & clarks admitted students event this past weekend i met a lot of people who were either in or waiting to hear back from davis as well

thereisnospoon

New

Post by thereisnospoon » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:59 pm

I have several compadres waiting to hear from Davis also. I was told they shuffle up the apps and read them all thoroughly, which if true explains going complete in early Jan. and still waiting. So first in doesn't mean first read.

So keep refreshing that status checker...

Ginger123

New

Post by Ginger123 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:17 am

Yeah I don't know what their method is. I sent in my application in early December but didn't go complete until the January 30th deadline because my application fee kept getting lost in the mail. Got my acceptance about 3 weeks later.

renwoshin

New

Post by renwoshin » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:01 pm

finally, evaluation in progress now

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”