Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
mylifeis24

Bronze
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby mylifeis24 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:21 pm

This has been a very strange cycle for me. I've been accepted to CCN, but waitlisted or held at Penn, Northwestern, Cornell and Michigan. But I've also been accepted at GULC, Vanderbilt, GW, and Duke, as well as UVA. Seems like with the exception of UVA, I've been accepted to the top and bottom tiers of T20, but not the middle. What's up with that? Is this YP?

User avatar
Cal Trask

Gold
Posts: 4720
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby Cal Trask » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:27 pm

This is a weird humblebrag. Maybe YP, who knows.

User avatar
paglababa

Silver
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby paglababa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:35 pm

Could be, some schools also don't respond if you don't show interest / write why essays. I never heard back from Virgina at all, no peep, submitted in Nov.

User avatar
Brettanomyces

Bronze
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:08 am

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby Brettanomyces » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:41 pm

This has been a funky-ass cycle altogether.

User avatar
paglababa

Silver
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby paglababa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:46 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:This has been a funky-ass cycle altogether.


Yea, most unexpected was YP by Columbia. So many ppl above both 75ths waiting in the held thread. That one blew my mind.

User avatar
Brettanomyces

Bronze
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:08 am

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby Brettanomyces » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:51 pm

paglababa wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:This has been a funky-ass cycle altogether.


Yea, most unexpected was YP by Columbia. So many ppl above both 75ths waiting in the held thread. That one blew my mind.


Columbia is out of its mind this cycle. I also wouldn't be surprised if this were the most waitlist/hold-heavy T14 cycle in recent years.

B and Y are doing some really strange things, too--but don't they always?

cham

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby cham » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:01 pm

Similar stuff has happened to me. This cycle is extremely weird.

User avatar
a.sleepyhead

Bronze
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby a.sleepyhead » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:54 pm

YP, weird cycle, etc etc - at least you have some really good options.

User avatar
paglababa

Silver
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby paglababa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:46 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:
paglababa wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:This has been a funky-ass cycle altogether.


Yea, most unexpected was YP by Columbia. So many ppl above both 75ths waiting in the held thread. That one blew my mind.


Columbia is out of its mind this cycle. I also wouldn't be surprised if this were the most waitlist/hold-heavy T14 cycle in recent years.

B and Y are doing some really strange things, too--but don't they always?


IDK, i didn't apply to either of them lolol

User avatar
koval

Bronze
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:19 am

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby koval » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:50 pm

cham wrote:Similar stuff has happened to me. This cycle is extremely weird.


+1, also I second that some schools don't seem to respond well when you don't write a "why" essay.

User avatar
mylifeis24

Bronze
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby mylifeis24 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:06 pm

dcruss wrote:
cham wrote:Similar stuff has happened to me. This cycle is extremely weird.


+1, also I second that some schools don't seem to respond well when you don't write a "why" essay.


I wrote a Why essay for Penn, but still nothing.

User avatar
aboutmydaylight

Silver
Posts: 580
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:50 pm

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby aboutmydaylight » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:13 pm

Did you get any money from the bottom schools? A case could be made for YPing students that are likely admits at higher ranked schools but not desirable enough to throw money at them. You'd expect a pattern like this where a lot of your targets would waitlist you but you'd get money from lower ranked schools and acceptances from higher ranked schools.

User avatar
capt_slow

Bronze
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby capt_slow » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 pm

Please teach me your ways

User avatar
mylifeis24

Bronze
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby mylifeis24 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:25 pm

aboutmydaylight wrote:Did you get any money from the bottom schools? A case could be made for YPing students that are likely admits at higher ranked schools but not desirable enough to throw money at them. You'd expect a pattern like this where a lot of your targets would waitlist you but you'd get money from lower ranked schools and acceptances from higher ranked schools.


Only heard back regarding money from Vandy ($105K), UVA ($75K) and GULC ($60K).

User avatar
wsparker

Bronze
Posts: 301
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby wsparker » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 am

This kind of happened to me too, but it was not YP because I do not have the numbers for that. It is frustrating to have the option of (probably) sticker at Chicago or basically full ride outside of the T14. I wish I had a middle option. BTW, I did write Why Duke & Why Michigan and will be sending a LOCI to UVA.

Wiggly

Bronze
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby Wiggly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:34 pm

...
Last edited by Wiggly on Fri May 23, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
paglababa

Silver
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby paglababa » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:47 pm

JSWright101 wrote:My cycle is just strange so far (I don't think anyone really likes me actually - except Berkeley which really does?). 174/4.04. Weak softs. Boring Undergrad. Gay male (mentioned in PS). Weird, 'non-academic' major: music.

Got accepted to Berkeley roughly a week after applying (which got me all excited for what was to come), then waitlisted at UCLA a week after that (YP I guess?), then nothing for a month until a Hold from Columbia :? , a JS1 from Harvard :D and a ding from Yale :roll: all in like four days. Deafening radio silence from NYU (still UR1), Michigan and Stanford. Hoping for that JS2 (because otherwise my current options are Berkeley, Berkeley and Berkeley who has yet to give me any financial info - they're a great school obviously but I was hoping for a selection). *sigh*


Wow, gay AND above both 75ths? How late did you apply bro / how was your PS and recs? I'd have guessed 2/3 of the HYS and easy in at CCNect.

Wiggly

Bronze
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby Wiggly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:57 pm

...
Last edited by Wiggly on Fri May 23, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wiggly

Bronze
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby Wiggly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:04 pm

...
Last edited by Wiggly on Fri May 23, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mirroroferised7

Silver
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby mirroroferised7 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:23 pm

I don't think LGBT is a super great URM boost. I wrote a diversity statement about my LGBT status, and that got me all of zero places with the T6.

Wiggly

Bronze
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:19 pm

...

Postby Wiggly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:29 pm

...
Last edited by Wiggly on Sun May 25, 2014 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Arrow4Christ

Bronze
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: Accepted to the Extremes but Waitlisted in the Middle?

Postby Arrow4Christ » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:36 pm

JSWright101 wrote:My cycle is just strange so far (I don't think anyone really likes me actually - except Berkeley which really does?). 174/4.04. Weak softs. Boring Undergrad. Gay male (mentioned in PS). Weird, 'non-academic' major: music.

Got accepted to Berkeley roughly a week after applying (which got me all excited for what was to come), then waitlisted at UCLA a week after that (YP I guess?), then nothing for a month until a Hold from Columbia :? , a JS1 from Harvard :D and a ding from Yale :roll: all in like four days. Deafening radio silence from NYU (still UR1), Michigan and Stanford. Hoping for that JS2 (because otherwise my current options are Berkeley, Berkeley and Berkeley who has yet to give me any financial info - they're a great school obviously but I was hoping for a selection). *sigh*


I'm mainly surprised at you not hearing from NYU yet…I'm willing to bet you'll get in before it's over. Columbia is being bizarre this year and Yale only admits something like 40-50 people from KJD (assuming you're KJD). I've had a similarish cycle with similarish numbers so far, and we applied at around the same time, so I think it has a lot to do with this just being a weird cycle fraught with unusual YP. And, hey, I don't know about you, but getting a JS2 would make my entire cycle incredibly successful in my book, and we've both still got that on the table :D

Edit: typo
Last edited by Arrow4Christ on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wiggly

Bronze
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:19 pm

...

Postby Wiggly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:06 pm

...



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 10 guests