Is it worth it to go meet the admissions administrator?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thisislife49

Is it worth it to go meet the admissions administrator?

Postby thisislife49 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:34 am

I happen to be taking a trip to the area of one of the schools I applied to. I haven't heard anything back from them yet. Would it be beneficial to stop by the University and introduce myself to anyone in the admissions department? I have read before that this has helped others, but is that really the case? If so, I assume business attire?

dowu

Re: Is it worth it to go meet the admissions administrator?

Postby dowu » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:54 am

thisislife49 wrote:I happen to be taking a trip to the area of one of the schools I applied to. I haven't heard anything back from them yet. Would it be beneficial to stop by the University and introduce myself to anyone in the admissions department? I have read before that this has helped others, but is that really the case? If so, I assume business attire?

I probably wouldn't. You might inconvenience them and that risk is not worth the potential reward.

rwhyAn

Postby rwhyAn » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:55 am

Have you tried e-mailing and/or calling? I feel like showing up unannounced may put them on-the-spot, which I don't think would be beneficial to your application. It might not hurt your app, but I don't see how it can be beneficial.

riverwater

Postby riverwater » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:01 pm

Um, what?! I would definitely drop in, introduce yourself, and ask for a map or something so you can take a self-guided tour. Maybe someone notes that you stopped by, maybe not. But I don't think talking to a secretary for two minutes is going to be a burden on anyone.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:36 pm

riverwater wrote:Um, what?! I would definitely drop in, introduce yourself, and ask for a map or something so you can take a self-guided tour. Maybe someone notes that you stopped by, maybe not. But I don't think talking to a secretary for two minutes is going to be a burden on anyone.

R u n law school?

Admissions administrator /= $exretary

D2142

Postby D2142 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:30 pm

thisislife49 wrote:I happen to be taking a trip to the area of one of the schools I applied to. I haven't heard anything back from them yet. Would it be beneficial to stop by the University and introduce myself to anyone in the admissions department? I have read before that this has helped others, but is that really the case? If so, I assume business attire?

I wouldn't show up unannounced unless the school has explicitly stated that they are ok with that. Some schools I have applied to preferred that I made an appointment, others said they had walk in hours where you were free to explore and meet people. I visited a school that was a stretch for me (below both medians) , ended up having an application update that day after I had left and got waitlisted the following week So it is def worth stopping by I would say.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”