Penn Waitlist 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Onomatopoeia
Posts: 4698
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:04 am

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby Onomatopoeia » Tue May 20, 2014 1:40 am

.
Last edited by Onomatopoeia on Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hahalollawl
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 am

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby Hahalollawl » Tue May 20, 2014 6:09 am

BornAgain99 wrote:
jk148706 wrote:Can confirm there were calls today. It wasn't for me, but I know of someone who received one.


Do you know their numbers?


This creeped me out a bit initially. Then I realized you were referring to their GPA/LSAT...lol oops.

User avatar
vivala
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby vivala » Wed May 21, 2014 4:28 pm

Looks like there won't be more admits until June?

BillsFan9907
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby BillsFan9907 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:35 pm

Those calls were pretty much "you're in if you want to be in calls?"

In other words, has anyone who received one of those calls and affirmed that they will attend in the fall gotten rejected (assuming that didn't do/say anything anti-social on the call)?

User avatar
Onomatopoeia
Posts: 4698
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:04 am

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby Onomatopoeia » Wed May 21, 2014 4:41 pm

.
Last edited by Onomatopoeia on Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redial38
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby redial38 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:43 pm

BornAgain99 wrote:did anyone receive a waitlist update just now.


I did. It didn't sound good. At least, we're not in the initial group of people they want to accept from the waitlist, and it'll only be harder now that we have to wait for me people to drop out instead of decline offers.

Hahalollawl
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 am

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby Hahalollawl » Wed May 21, 2014 5:05 pm

redial38 wrote:
BornAgain99 wrote:did anyone receive a waitlist update just now.


I did. It didn't sound good. At least, we're not in the initial group of people they want to accept from the waitlist, and it'll only be harder now that we have to wait for me people to drop out instead of decline offers.


Perhaps. On the other hand, at least we didn't get released?

User avatar
Onomatopoeia
Posts: 4698
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:04 am

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby Onomatopoeia » Wed May 21, 2014 5:08 pm

.
Last edited by Onomatopoeia on Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hahalollawl
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 am

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby Hahalollawl » Wed May 21, 2014 5:17 pm

BornAgain99 wrote:
sweet! carla ossa is awesome!


FTFY
Last edited by Hahalollawl on Wed May 21, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Onomatopoeia
Posts: 4698
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:04 am

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby Onomatopoeia » Wed May 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Hahalollawl wrote:
BornAgain99 wrote:
sweet! carla ossa is awesome!


no doubt

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby wealtheow » Wed May 21, 2014 7:25 pm

Got the update as well. Was convinced I was getting released before I opened it up. Phew!

Hahalollawl
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 am

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby Hahalollawl » Wed May 21, 2014 7:39 pm

I don't know if you all noticed or not, but there was mention of another update in early June towards the end of the email, so I guess that's nice?
Last edited by Hahalollawl on Wed May 21, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillsFan9907
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby BillsFan9907 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:40 pm

Hahalollawl wrote:I don't know if you all noticed or not, but there was mention of another update in early June, so I guess that's nice.


Everytime I see you post I unconsciously convert your name to "Harren Hall" (Game of thrones)

redial38
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby redial38 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:45 pm

Hahalollawl wrote:
redial38 wrote:
BornAgain99 wrote:did anyone receive a waitlist update just now.


I did. It didn't sound good. At least, we're not in the initial group of people they want to accept from the waitlist, and it'll only be harder now that we have to wait for me people to drop out instead of decline offers.


Perhaps. On the other hand, at least we didn't get released?


That's very true. Although, did anyone get released this round?

User avatar
Quan292
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 am

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby Quan292 » Fri May 23, 2014 12:10 pm

redial38 wrote:
Hahalollawl wrote:
redial38 wrote:
BornAgain99 wrote:did anyone receive a waitlist update just now.


I did. It didn't sound good. At least, we're not in the initial group of people they want to accept from the waitlist, and it'll only be harder now that we have to wait for me people to drop out instead of decline offers.


Perhaps. On the other hand, at least we didn't get released?


That's very true. Although, did anyone get released this round?


I have been looking around and it doesn't seem like anyone did.

Juniper45
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 12:33 pm

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby Juniper45 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:46 pm

Hello. Thanks to jk148706 for getting this thread going and to everyone else for sharing. This thread has been very informative.

I was recently admitted off of the waitlist. I am going to add my two cents here for those who are still in waitlist limbo.

As Penn was my first choice (after a rejection from Harvard), I was very eager to do what I could to get off of the waitlist. I am convinced that if you know you want to go to Penn (or any other school you are waitlisted at), you must show it. I believe that by keeping in contact with admissions (within reason), and by creating opportunities to express interest several times, people can secure an offer. Here’s what I did.

-Waitlisted early March, confirmed interest with detailed letter sent via email.
-Requested a non-evaluative meeting with an admissions officer in another letter expressing strong interest and a commitment to attend if accepted. (early May) The opportunity for this meeting is detailed in the FAQ section of the admissions website.
-Drove to Philly and met with Dean Post to discuss the waitlist and once again express my commitment to attend Penn if accepted. (mid May)
-Received call the following week from an admissions officer gauging my interest in Penn and asking where I was deposited. Naturally, I said I was very interested and did my best to not to swallow my tongue from excitement.
-Received second call two days later. Discussed my finances and need-based aid. An offer was NOT made, but I was asked to think about the prospect of going to Penn and to discuss the decision with my family. I was asked to call the next morning.
-The next day on the phone, I confirmed that my family and I were on the same page and comfortable with the financial implications.
-Received offer within a couple days. I will be attending.

Penn Law is a dream school for me. I am convinced that the turning point was when I spoke with Dean Post in person. It’s hard to imagine that putting a face to a name didn’t help. They are dealing with uncertainty all throughout the application process just as we are. Admissions people have to take the risk--based on numbers and essays--that those accepted won’t turn out to be problematic once they attend. I don't believe it's enough to know that there is a statistical probability that someone will do well in law school. After all, many if not most admissions people are alumni. A face to face meeting is a great way to provide assurance that you can positively contribute to a culture that the decision makers hold dearly.

I applied to 20 schools. I was waitlisted at 9 of the top 14 and rejected at 1. I chose my favorites (UVA and Penn) and worked hard as a waitlisted student. Though I only made a commitment to Penn, I received an offer from both. As of this morning, I have yet to receive offers from the lower ranked schools where I was waitlisted. Seems pretty clear to me that what I did worked.

This concludes my two cents.

Reverse splitter-ish. LSAT–25%<MyScore<Median. GPA–75%<MyGPA. Also, three years of solid work experience in finance and law at reputable firms.
Last edited by Juniper45 on Wed May 28, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

timeofurlife
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby timeofurlife » Wed May 28, 2014 3:11 pm

Juniper45 wrote:Hello. Thanks to jk148706 for getting this thread going and to everyone else for sharing. This thread has been very informative.

I was recently admitted off of the waitlist. I am going to add my two cents here for those who are still in waitlist limbo.

As Penn was my first choice (after a rejection from Harvard), I was very eager to do what I could to get off of the waitlist. I am convinced that if you know you want to go to Penn (or any other school you are waitlisted at), you must show it. I believe that by keeping in contact with admissions (within reason), and by creating opportunities to express interest several times, people can secure an offer. Here’s what I did.

-Waitlisted early March, confirmed interest with detailed letter sent via email.
-Requested a non-evaluative meeting with an admissions officer in another letter expressing strong interest and a commitment to attend if accepted. (early May) The opportunity for this meeting is detailed in the FAQ section of the admissions website.
-Drove to Philly and met with Dean Pfost to discuss the waitlist and once again express my commitment to attend Penn if accepted. (mid May)
-Received call the following week from an admissions officer gauging my interest in Penn and asking where I was deposited. Naturally, I said I was very interested and did my best to not to swallow my tongue from excitement.
-Received second call two days later. Discussed my finances and need-based aid. An offer was NOT made, but I was asked to think about the prospect of going to Penn and to discuss the decision with my family. I was asked to call the next morning.
-The next day on the phone, I confirmed that my family and I were on the same page and comfortable with the financial implications.
-Received offer within a couple days. I will be attending.

Penn Law is a dream school for me. I am convinced that the turning point was when I spoke with Dean Pfost in person. It’s hard to imagine that putting a face to a name didn’t help. They are dealing with uncertainty all throughout the application process just as we are. Admissions people have to take the risk--based on numbers and essays--that those accepted won’t turn out to be problematic once they attend. I don't believe it's enough to know that there is a statistical probability that someone will do well in law school. After all, many if not most admissions people are alumni. A face to face meeting is a great way to provide assurance that you can positively contribute to a culture that the decision makers hold dearly.

I applied to 20 schools. I was waitlisted at 9 of the top 14 and rejected at 1. I chose my favorites (UVA and Penn) and worked hard as a waitlisted student. Though I only made a commitment to Penn, I received an offer from both. As of this morning, I have yet to receive offers from the lower ranked schools where I was waitlisted. Seems pretty clear to me that what I did worked.

This concludes my two cents.

Reverse splitter-ish. LSAT–25%<MyScore>Median. GPA–75%<MyGPA. Also, three years of solid work experience in finance and law at reputable firms.



Hi Juniper! Congrats on Penn and thanks so much for the update! Just a couple of questions:

When you went to Penn, did you meet with Dean Post? I also met with an admissions rep, but not Dean Post. How did you obtain a meeting with her?
Did you submit any supplemental materials ie. extra essay, another recommendation?
Are you considered an URM?

Thanks so much!

Juniper45
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 12:33 pm

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby Juniper45 » Wed May 28, 2014 3:51 pm

:oops: :oops:
timeofurlife wrote:
Juniper45 wrote:Hello. Thanks to jk148706 for getting this thread going and to everyone else for sharing. This thread has been very informative.

I was recently admitted off of the waitlist. I am going to add my two cents here for those who are still in waitlist limbo.

As Penn was my first choice (after a rejection from Harvard), I was very eager to do what I could to get off of the waitlist. I am convinced that if you know you want to go to Penn (or any other school you are waitlisted at), you must show it. I believe that by keeping in contact with admissions (within reason), and by creating opportunities to express interest several times, people can secure an offer. Here’s what I did.

-Waitlisted early March, confirmed interest with detailed letter sent via email.
-Requested a non-evaluative meeting with an admissions officer in another letter expressing strong interest and a commitment to attend if accepted. (early May) The opportunity for this meeting is detailed in the FAQ section of the admissions website.
-Drove to Philly and met with Dean Pfost to discuss the waitlist and once again express my commitment to attend Penn if accepted. (mid May)
-Received call the following week from an admissions officer gauging my interest in Penn and asking where I was deposited. Naturally, I said I was very interested and did my best to not to swallow my tongue from excitement.
-Received second call two days later. Discussed my finances and need-based aid. An offer was NOT made, but I was asked to think about the prospect of going to Penn and to discuss the decision with my family. I was asked to call the next morning.
-The next day on the phone, I confirmed that my family and I were on the same page and comfortable with the financial implications.
-Received offer within a couple days. I will be attending.

Penn Law is a dream school for me. I am convinced that the turning point was when I spoke with Dean Pfost in person. It’s hard to imagine that putting a face to a name didn’t help. They are dealing with uncertainty all throughout the application process just as we are. Admissions people have to take the risk--based on numbers and essays--that those accepted won’t turn out to be problematic once they attend. I don't believe it's enough to know that there is a statistical probability that someone will do well in law school. After all, many if not most admissions people are alumni. A face to face meeting is a great way to provide assurance that you can positively contribute to a culture that the decision makers hold dearly.

I applied to 20 schools. I was waitlisted at 9 of the top 14 and rejected at 1. I chose my favorites (UVA and Penn) and worked hard as a waitlisted student. Though I only made a commitment to Penn, I received an offer from both. As of this morning, I have yet to receive offers from the lower ranked schools where I was waitlisted. Seems pretty clear to me that what I did worked.

This concludes my two cents.

Reverse splitter-ish. LSAT–25%<MyScore>Median. GPA–75%<MyGPA. Also, three years of solid work experience in finance and law at reputable firms.



Hi Juniper! Congrats on Penn and thanks so much for the update! Just a couple of questions:

When you went to Penn, did you meet with Dean Post? I also met with an admissions rep, but not Dean Post. How did you obtain a meeting with her?
Did you submit any supplemental materials ie. extra essay, another recommendation?
Are you considered an URM?

Thanks so much!


Thanks for the correction. :oops:

I met with her on 5/16. I am certain that me seeing her specifically was by chance.

I did not submit supplemental materials, but Dean Post gave me the feeling during our conversation that if I knew an alumnus, I should have them submit a letter. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who went to Penn Law. I informed her of this. She seemed to understand. All that being said, I view additional submissions as a great opportunity to express interest and keep yourself fresh in their minds. I found that my letters of continuing interest were sufficient, but naturally, you know your situation best.

I am not a URM.

timeofurlife
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby timeofurlife » Wed May 28, 2014 3:54 pm

Juniper45 wrote::oops: :oops:
timeofurlife wrote:
Juniper45 wrote:Hello. Thanks to jk148706 for getting this thread going and to everyone else for sharing. This thread has been very informative.

I was recently admitted off of the waitlist. I am going to add my two cents here for those who are still in waitlist limbo.

As Penn was my first choice (after a rejection from Harvard), I was very eager to do what I could to get off of the waitlist. I am convinced that if you know you want to go to Penn (or any other school you are waitlisted at), you must show it. I believe that by keeping in contact with admissions (within reason), and by creating opportunities to express interest several times, people can secure an offer. Here’s what I did.

-Waitlisted early March, confirmed interest with detailed letter sent via email.
-Requested a non-evaluative meeting with an admissions officer in another letter expressing strong interest and a commitment to attend if accepted. (early May) The opportunity for this meeting is detailed in the FAQ section of the admissions website.
-Drove to Philly and met with Dean Pfost to discuss the waitlist and once again express my commitment to attend Penn if accepted. (mid May)
-Received call the following week from an admissions officer gauging my interest in Penn and asking where I was deposited. Naturally, I said I was very interested and did my best to not to swallow my tongue from excitement.
-Received second call two days later. Discussed my finances and need-based aid. An offer was NOT made, but I was asked to think about the prospect of going to Penn and to discuss the decision with my family. I was asked to call the next morning.
-The next day on the phone, I confirmed that my family and I were on the same page and comfortable with the financial implications.
-Received offer within a couple days. I will be attending.

Penn Law is a dream school for me. I am convinced that the turning point was when I spoke with Dean Pfost in person. It’s hard to imagine that putting a face to a name didn’t help. They are dealing with uncertainty all throughout the application process just as we are. Admissions people have to take the risk--based on numbers and essays--that those accepted won’t turn out to be problematic once they attend. I don't believe it's enough to know that there is a statistical probability that someone will do well in law school. After all, many if not most admissions people are alumni. A face to face meeting is a great way to provide assurance that you can positively contribute to a culture that the decision makers hold dearly.

I applied to 20 schools. I was waitlisted at 9 of the top 14 and rejected at 1. I chose my favorites (UVA and Penn) and worked hard as a waitlisted student. Though I only made a commitment to Penn, I received an offer from both. As of this morning, I have yet to receive offers from the lower ranked schools where I was waitlisted. Seems pretty clear to me that what I did worked.

This concludes my two cents.

Reverse splitter-ish. LSAT–25%<MyScore>Median. GPA–75%<MyGPA. Also, three years of solid work experience in finance and law at reputable firms.



Hi Juniper! Congrats on Penn and thanks so much for the update! Just a couple of questions:

When you went to Penn, did you meet with Dean Post? I also met with an admissions rep, but not Dean Post. How did you obtain a meeting with her?
Did you submit any supplemental materials ie. extra essay, another recommendation?
Are you considered an URM?

Thanks so much!


Thanks for the correction. :oops:

I met with her on 5/16. I am certain that me seeing her specifically was by chance.

I did not submit supplemental materials, but Dean Post gave me the feeling during our conversation that if I knew an alumnus, I should have them submit a letter. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who went to Penn Law. I informed her of this. She seemed to understand. All that being said, I view additional submissions as a great opportunity to express interest and keep yourself fresh in their minds. I found that my letters of continuing interest were sufficient, but naturally, you know your situation best.

I am not a URM.


Awesome! Thanks! :) Congrats again

timeofurlife
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby timeofurlife » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:25 pm

Has anyone heard anything? The last email said they would update us again in early June...

Hahalollawl
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 am

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby Hahalollawl » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:01 pm

So at what point is it no longer "early" June?

User avatar
gobears!!
Posts: 2080
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:04 am

Post removed.

Postby gobears!! » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:51 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by gobears!! on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rahulg91
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby rahulg91 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:21 am

gobears!! wrote:
Hahalollawl wrote:So at what point is it no longer "early" June?


I went ahead and called Berkeley today because I am waiting on Berkeley and Penn. The person at Berkeley told me that they are not sending out any updates because they are waiting on schools like Harvard to publish their lists and make their acceptances, because apparently some of the schools at the top have been holding out. This may be influencing Penn too. They may think they have a class only for HYS to destroy their stability


This is really interesting. Does anyone have any idea when HYS release final numbers for c/o 2017? I've been hearing that WL movement for this cycle is going to be a little weird, but it seems stalled so far.

LongTymeLurker
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 3:29 pm

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby LongTymeLurker » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:43 pm

rahulg91 wrote:
gobears!! wrote:
Hahalollawl wrote:So at what point is it no longer "early" June?


I went ahead and called Berkeley today because I am waiting on Berkeley and Penn. The person at Berkeley told me that they are not sending out any updates because they are waiting on schools like Harvard to publish their lists and make their acceptances, because apparently some of the schools at the top have been holding out. This may be influencing Penn too. They may think they have a class only for HYS to destroy their stability


This is really interesting. Does anyone have any idea when HYS release final numbers for c/o 2017? I've been hearing that WL movement for this cycle is going to be a little weird, but it seems stalled so far.



I do not believe that CCN has moved on their final numbers/w8 list m8. From the previous LSAT test reports I don't see the t14 being filled with their first choices... especially HYL CCN. I am certain that they are going to have to pull a significant people from the w8 list causing a trickle down to Pen, UVA, Dook ect.

The front end of the t14 have w8ed this long so they must be dewing werk.

redial38
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: Penn Waitlist 2014

Postby redial38 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:24 pm

Just got the ding e-mail.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, a.sch, aaron1621, ad34964n, Baby Gaga, BobBoblaw, BrittanyJeream, carlos_danger, danid83, Google Adsense [Bot], harmcharm, jjcorvino, joezze, kdonohue, lillawyer2, notsolawful, pirate101, Solidfood, ThorB, Zoe107 and 40 guests