Brooklyn Law 17/18

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Stella77

Re: Brooklyn Law 17/18

Postby Stella77 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:49 pm

No news about a merit scholarship...does this mean I didn't receive one??

CaveCanem

Postby CaveCanem » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:59 pm

sergiokun16 wrote:
CaveCanem wrote:
sergiokun16 wrote:I'm a current 1L, hope I can clear up some of the worrying about scholarships. They don't send scholarship packages with acceptances. Instead, mine came about a month after my acceptance.

That being said, disregard the scholarship information on this website, it is still outdated from the old scholarship setup. Starting last year, they did away with their old stipulation system and applied a flat requirement for all scholarships, which only requires that you stay in the top 80% to retain your scholly in full. For my cycle at least, that was the most generous stipulation I received. Hope that helps calm some of the nerves haha.

I know you didn't invite questions but it seems like there is a lack of info on here about BLS. What has your experience been like so far? I saw that the admitted student even is being held at Skadden. That's a pretty powerful way to encourage those interested in BigLaw that BLS is serious. But the employment numbers paint a bit of a different picture. What has your experience been as far as BLS in relation to other schools and the reputation it carries in NYC. Thanks for the time!

Sorry for the slow response! As a 1L it is hard for me to really give you a great answer about what employers are thinking when they look across the table at an interviewee from BLS, but I'll do my best to help you out.

1) I know you may get sick of hearing this, but regardless of where you end up, grades are going to be HUGE at getting you into BigLaw, it's just the reality of the economy. Get good grades.

2) BLS has a ton of successful alumnus in V100 firms, and they seem eager to mentor/help out younger students. I think if you can secure great grades and be personable (two things that aren't easy for everyone) you are looking at a solid opportunity to land employment with a great firm.

3) Network your ass off by getting involved with student orgs early. Career Services office is great, but you gotta make your own connections sometimes. By being friendly and showing a speaker/alum that you are genuinely interested in their practice when they come for a student organization event will pay off immensely in the long run. As a 1L, I've had two BigLaw interviews for summer interships. Rejected from one, waiting on the other, but that's to say that there are possibilities out there if you work for it.

Now, I think the gap between Cardozo and BLS has been blown way out of proportion on this board. Cardozo is a much younger school with a shallower alumni pool to make connections with, so don't forget to consider that. Sure, you're not at NYU/Columbia/Fordham, but with strong grades I honestly feel that BLS has put me in a great position to obtain strong employment.

The professors are fantastic, that is something that has been said that I can 100% agree with.

Great answer. Thanks a lot. How far is campus from lower manhattan by subway? I'm familiar with NYC just not the location of downtown BK in relation to Manhattan. Thanks again.

Wbrem

Postby Wbrem » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:04 am

Stella77 wrote:No news about a merit scholarship...does this mean I didn't receive one??

I can't imagine that is the case with your numbers. Maybe wait a couple weeks then send them an email inquiring.

In other news I think I've about settled on Brooklyn. The thought of living in NYC terrifies me but here's to new adventures!

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:19 am

CaveCanem wrote:
sergiokun16 wrote:
CaveCanem wrote:
sergiokun16 wrote:I'm a current 1L, hope I can clear up some of the worrying about scholarships. They don't send scholarship packages with acceptances. Instead, mine came about a month after my acceptance.

That being said, disregard the scholarship information on this website, it is still outdated from the old scholarship setup. Starting last year, they did away with their old stipulation system and applied a flat requirement for all scholarships, which only requires that you stay in the top 80% to retain your scholly in full. For my cycle at least, that was the most generous stipulation I received. Hope that helps calm some of the nerves haha.

I know you didn't invite questions but it seems like there is a lack of info on here about BLS. What has your experience been like so far? I saw that the admitted student even is being held at Skadden. That's a pretty powerful way to encourage those interested in BigLaw that BLS is serious. But the employment numbers paint a bit of a different picture. What has your experience been as far as BLS in relation to other schools and the reputation it carries in NYC. Thanks for the time!

Sorry for the slow response! As a 1L it is hard for me to really give you a great answer about what employers are thinking when they look across the table at an interviewee from BLS, but I'll do my best to help you out.

1) I know you may get sick of hearing this, but regardless of where you end up, grades are going to be HUGE at getting you into BigLaw, it's just the reality of the economy. Get good grades.

2) BLS has a ton of successful alumnus in V100 firms, and they seem eager to mentor/help out younger students. I think if you can secure great grades and be personable (two things that aren't easy for everyone) you are looking at a solid opportunity to land employment with a great firm.

3) Network your ass off by getting involved with student orgs early. Career Services office is great, but you gotta make your own connections sometimes. By being friendly and showing a speaker/alum that you are genuinely interested in their practice when they come for a student organization event will pay off immensely in the long run. As a 1L, I've had two BigLaw interviews for summer interships. Rejected from one, waiting on the other, but that's to say that there are possibilities out there if you work for it.

Now, I think the gap between Cardozo and BLS has been blown way out of proportion on this board. Cardozo is a much younger school with a shallower alumni pool to make connections with, so don't forget to consider that. Sure, you're not at NYU/Columbia/Fordham, but with strong grades I honestly feel that BLS has put me in a great position to obtain strong employment.

The professors are fantastic, that is something that has been said that I can 100% agree with.

Great answer. Thanks a lot. How far is campus from lower manhattan by subway? I'm familiar with NYC just not the location of downtown BK in relation to Manhattan. Thanks again.

Very quick ride, you can use hopstop.com to plan out routes from the stations you're closest to. Just select NY, subway only, and then search from your location to the borough hall/Jay street stop on the A/C/F or the Court Street stop on the R (or M, but that might be slower).

sergiokun16

Postby sergiokun16 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:53 pm

PattyCake wrote:

Very quick ride, you can use hopstop.com to plan out routes from the stations you're closest to. Just select NY, subway only, and then search from your location to the borough hall/Jay street stop on the A/C/F or the Court Street stop on the R (or M, but that might be slower).[/quote]

BLS is at Borough hall, which is one stop away from being at Bowling Green, the first stop in lower Manhattan. I took a train for an interview to Chambers St. in Manhattan and was there in 10 minutes. Can't beat it.

Smer45

Postby Smer45 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:17 pm

Wbrem wrote:
Stella77 wrote:No news about a merit scholarship...does this mean I didn't receive one??

I can't imagine that is the case with your numbers. Maybe wait a couple weeks then send them an email inquiring.

In other news I think I've about settled on Brooklyn. The thought of living in NYC terrifies me but here's to new adventures!

Accepted 2/26. I spoke to one of the admissions counselors yesterday and she said scholarship info should be coming by the end of the week

michaelbluth

Postby michaelbluth » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:35 pm

PattyCake wrote:Great answer. Thanks a lot. How far is campus from lower manhattan by subway? I'm familiar with NYC just not the location of downtown BK in relation to Manhattan. Thanks again.

The R, 2/3, and 4/5 stop at Court/Borough Hall which is half a block from the school, but the R isn't running into Manhattan until they finish Sandy repairs. Someone upthread mentioned the M, but the M hasn't stopped there for a few years, so I'm not sure what that's about. The 2/3 and 4/5 do stop at Borough Hall are running under the river, and it's 5-7 minutes to Wall Street and Bowling Green, respectively. I almost never use the A/C/F from Jay St/Metrotech (2 blocks from school), but there again, it's about 5-7 minutes into Manhattan. Midtown's about 25-30 minutes.

CaveCanem

Postby CaveCanem » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:11 pm

michaelbluth wrote:
PattyCake wrote:Great answer. Thanks a lot. How far is campus from lower manhattan by subway? I'm familiar with NYC just not the location of downtown BK in relation to Manhattan. Thanks again.

The R, 2/3, and 4/5 stop at Court/Borough Hall which is half a block from the school, but the R isn't running into Manhattan until they finish Sandy repairs. Someone upthread mentioned the M, but the M hasn't stopped there for a few years, so I'm not sure what that's about. The 2/3 and 4/5 do stop at Borough Hall are running under the river, and it's 5-7 minutes to Wall Street and Bowling Green, respectively. I almost never use the A/C/F from Jay St/Metrotech (2 blocks from school), but there again, it's about 5-7 minutes into Manhattan. Midtown's about 25-30 minutes.

Much closer than i expected. What's off-campus housing like? Any non-infested apartments nearby for <1k ?

Newb2law

Postby Newb2law » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:42 pm

how do you guys justify paying over 50k a year for this school?

FrankieChains

Postby FrankieChains » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:01 pm

Waitlisted =*(

Applied 2/11

LSDAS GPA 2.01
LSAT 161

lawskewl13

Postby lawskewl13 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:32 pm

Just got my scholarship letter and noticed something interesting. As part of their scholarship offer, they're offering a "loan repayment assistance program" where if I have failed to secure employment nine months after graduation (or a job below a defined salary level) BLS will reimburse me for the full amount of my tuition payments and any accumulated interest.

Anyone else get this? Is this something new this year? I feel like I hadn't heard anything about this before now. This doesn't really make up for the fact that I was hoping for a bit more merit aid here, but it is something to consider.

sergiokun16

Postby sergiokun16 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:46 pm

CaveCanem wrote:
michaelbluth wrote:

Much closer than i expected. What's off-campus housing like? Any non-infested apartments nearby for <1k ?

Probably not. BK Heights is a pretty upscale neighborhood. WHen I was comparing on/off campus housing last year, Feil Hall is about equal to or a little lower than market rate in the area, and I think the amenities and convenience of being on-campus makes it totally worth it.

michaelbluth

Postby michaelbluth » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:32 am

Newb2law wrote:how do you guys justify paying over 50k a year for this school?

I don't pay over $50k a year for this school, nor would I recommend that anyone else do so.

michaelbluth

Postby michaelbluth » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:43 am

sergiokun16 wrote:

Probably not. BK Heights is a pretty upscale neighborhood. WHen I was comparing on/off campus housing last year, Feil Hall is about equal to or a little lower than market rate in the area, and I think the amenities and convenience of being on-campus makes it totally worth it.

I second this. Rent's pretty comparable to Manhattan below 110th. I know a few people people who are paying about $3k for a small one bedroom in one of the buildings on Montague. Feil seems to be slightly lower than market, and the unfurnished buildings are even cheaper and definitely below market. I live in and like Feil and I'll probably stay for 3L, but there are tradeoffs. I love the convenience, but sometimes I really, really wish that I could walk out my front door and not be surrounded by people I know. On the other hand, sometimes it's really nice to walk out my front door and run into people I know.

taylorswiftfan

Postby taylorswiftfan » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:16 pm

I just got a BLS notes brochure in the mail. Is that supposed to be any indication that I will be accepted or does every single applicant get that? I am still "in review". . .

PhenomenalWoman

Postby PhenomenalWoman » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:26 pm

taylorswiftfan wrote:I just got a BLS notes brochure in the mail. Is that supposed to be any indication that I will be accepted or does every single applicant get that? I am still "in review". . .

I think that everyone gets one. I was admitted today. Complete/UR1 2/11, UR2 3/12, UR3 3/13.

lausenber

Postby lausenber » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:44 am

Has anyone tried to negotiate their scholarship? I tried but was told that they do not negotiate because it is unfair to other blah blah blah. I read an earlier post where the guy had his scholarship increased without any effort on their part. I'm just curious if there's anyone in the same boat.

fratstar1

Postby fratstar1 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:52 am

lawskewl13 wrote:Just got my scholarship letter and noticed something interesting. As part of their scholarship offer, they're offering a "loan repayment assistance program" where if I have failed to secure employment nine months after graduation (or a job below a defined salary level) BLS will reimburse me for the full amount of my tuition payments and any accumulated interest.

Anyone else get this? Is this something new this year? I feel like I hadn't heard anything about this before now. This doesn't really make up for the fact that I was hoping for a bit more merit aid here, but it is something to consider.

I've been combing the internet trying to find what the "defined salary level is". This idea makes me feel more secure, but I need more info.

lawskewl13

Postby lawskewl13 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:56 am

lausenber wrote:Has anyone tried to negotiate their scholarship? I tried but was told that they do not negotiate because it is unfair to other blah blah blah. I read an earlier post where the guy had his scholarship increased without any effort on their part. I'm just curious if there's anyone in the same boat.

I sent in a negotiation email and haven't heard back yet...will update when I do!

lawskewl13

Postby lawskewl13 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:58 am

fratstar1 wrote:
lawskewl13 wrote:Just got my scholarship letter and noticed something interesting. As part of their scholarship offer, they're offering a "loan repayment assistance program" where if I have failed to secure employment nine months after graduation (or a job below a defined salary level) BLS will reimburse me for the full amount of my tuition payments and any accumulated interest.

I've been combing the internet trying to find what the "defined salary level is". This idea makes me feel more secure, but I need more info.

Agreed. The only issue is that the loans I'd take out for COL would be more than I'd be taking out for tuition and I doubt those loans would be covered by this program.

lausenber

Postby lausenber » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:56 pm

lawskewl13 wrote:
lausenber wrote:Has anyone tried to negotiate their scholarship? I tried but was told that they do not negotiate because it is unfair to other blah blah blah. I read an earlier post where the guy had his scholarship increased without any effort on their part. I'm just curious if there's anyone in the same boat.

I sent in a negotiation email and haven't heard back yet...will update when I do!

When did you send it? I emailed my admission counselor first and didn't hear back either so I decided to email my letter directly to the Dean of Admissions and got the reply the next day.

CaveCanem

Postby CaveCanem » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:33 pm

lausenber wrote:
lawskewl13 wrote:

When did you send it? I emailed my admission counselor first and didn't hear back either so I decided to email my letter directly to the Dean of Admissions and got the reply the next day.

Interesting. I know a lot of times schools may decline to negotiate only to end up playing ball later in the cycle as things start heating up. How did you approach them?

michaelbluth

Postby michaelbluth » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:18 am

Try again later in the cycle. IIRC, they tend to do most of their negotiations around deposit deadlines.

MrsHello

Postby MrsHello » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:14 am

Accepted. :D Status checker then received the packet through mail after a week and 1/2.

dee2324

Postby dee2324 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:19 pm

lawskewl13 wrote:

I sent in a negotiation letter probably two weeks ago and got the same response @lawskewl13. They responded that is was unfair to negotiate at this point but once they know more about the entering class they will reconsider my letter. So, I still recommend sending an email since they know you are interested in an increase. Then again who isn't.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”