Brooklyn Law 17/18

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DerekZoolander

Re: Brooklyn Law 17/18

Postby DerekZoolander » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:46 pm

PattyCake wrote:
DerekZoolander wrote:Also, last year they somehow removed more students from scholarship than they statistically should have considering their stipulations. How is this possible??

If you read their policy very carefully it actually says that thy can't guarantee the funding will be available for everyone who fulfills the requirements, and that it's possible you could have your scholarship reduced or eliminated due to a shortage of funding if too many students meet the criteria. Yeah. I caught that the second time around because they slip it in very casually.

Yeah, it was actually a competitor school's dean of admissions who told me to investigate it...

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:57 pm

DerekZoolander wrote:
PattyCake wrote:
DerekZoolander wrote:Also, last year they somehow removed more students from scholarship than they statistically should have considering their stipulations. How is this possible??

If you read their policy very carefully it actually says that thy can't guarantee the funding will be available for everyone who fulfills the requirements, and that it's possible you could have your scholarship reduced or eliminated due to a shortage of funding if too many students meet the criteria. Yeah. I caught that the second time around because they slip it in very casually.

Yeah, it was actually a competitor school's dean of admissions who told me to investigate it...

I bet I know which one, I had the same email exchange. Did you also get a reference to scholarship retention rates quoted directly on your award letter? :-) the truth is the facts he referenced aren't relevant anyway - no matter how many awards are given, top 80% is top 80%. If more students are given scholarships, it stands to reason more will lose the scholarships even with the same stips - and if it's the school I'm thinking of, they are the same stips.

And I bet Brklyn plays the other side of the same card when pressed: sure, they have fewer students lose their scholarships, but they give out fewer awards than we do." That kind of thing.

Yawkey

Postby Yawkey » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:34 pm

So basically the 15% reduction will apply only to those who didn't deserve more than a 15% scholarship and those who do so poorly during 1L that they lose their scholarship. Haha wait what? Anybody else whose considering Brooklyn puzzled by this?

DerekZoolander

Postby DerekZoolander » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:22 pm

PattyCake wrote:
DerekZoolander wrote:
PattyCake wrote:

I bet I know which one, I had the same email exchange. Did you also get a reference to scholarship retention rates quoted directly on your award letter? :-) the truth is the facts he referenced aren't relevant anyway - no matter how many awards are given, top 80% is top 80%. If more students are given scholarships, it stands to reason more will lose the scholarships even with the same stips - and if it's the school I'm thinking of, they are the same stips.

And I bet Brklyn plays the other side of the same card when pressed: sure, they have fewer students lose their scholarships, but they give out fewer awards than we do." That kind of thing.

Definitely the same. All I know is, I'm definitely banking on more money being given from both of these schools as we get closer to the second deadline. Sounds like the NYC market is really hurting.

dreamofNYC

Postby dreamofNYC » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:18 pm

VinLi11 wrote:Received email today for scholarship offer. $37k a year 3.4/163.

Congrats! I have 163 on the LSAT and 3.8 LSAC GPA. Hope to get a scholly too! I applied on Monday though, maybe a bit too late in the game :(

Wbrem

Postby Wbrem » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:24 pm

Has anyone else applied for the Sparer Fellowship? I just received an email asking for an interview. I wonder if this is anything to be excited about..

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:23 am

CaveCanem

Postby CaveCanem » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:43 pm

I will be depositing here while i wait on my other options. Has anyone been to ASW and have a minute this weekend to let me know what the consensus is on the campus/ faculty/ neighborhood ? I am out of the country and any feedback is greatly appreciated.

dreamofNYC

Postby dreamofNYC » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:53 am

I got my admissions email today but no mention of scholarship. Should I expect a separate email with scholarship information? Thanks!

buffalo_

Postby buffalo_ » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:05 am

dreamofNYC wrote:I got my admissions email today but no mention of scholarship. Should I expect a separate email with scholarship information? Thanks!

Mine was separate.

TCR is to retake and go to NYU or Columbia next year though. With that GPA if you can improve you will be accepted to T14's and maybe even get money.

dreamofNYC

Postby dreamofNYC » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:23 pm

buffalo_ wrote:
dreamofNYC wrote:I got my admissions email today but no mention of scholarship. Should I expect a separate email with scholarship information? Thanks!

Mine was separate.

TCR is to retake and go to NYU or Columbia next year though. With that GPA if you can improve you will be accepted to T14's and maybe even get money.

What does TCR stand for?

buffalo_

Postby buffalo_ » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:51 pm

dreamofNYC wrote:
buffalo_ wrote:

Mine was separate.

What does TCR stand for?

"The Credited Response"

lawstudent2222

Postby lawstudent2222 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Anyone doing the 2 year J.D.?

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:15 pm

Mine came about 2 weeks later.

dreamofNYC

Postby dreamofNYC » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:11 pm

PattyCake wrote:

OK Thanks. :)

dreamofNYC

Postby dreamofNYC » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:33 pm

lawstudent2222 wrote:Anyone doing the 2 year J.D.?

I am thinking about it, but I don't know yet... it sounds pretty intense... you?

lawstudent2222

Postby lawstudent2222 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:39 pm

considering it.

dreamofNYC

Postby dreamofNYC » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:56 pm

PattyCake wrote:

I received a scholarship offer $37K. Extremely generous. Wow. What are my chances of getting a higher scholarship if I negotiate? Also, what's the award amount for a Prince Scholarship (the next level up)?

Wbrem

Postby Wbrem » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:47 pm

dreamofNYC wrote:
PattyCake wrote:

I received a scholarship offer $37K. Extremely generous. Wow. What are my chances of getting a higher scholarship if I negotiate? Also, what's the award amount for a Prince Scholarship (the next level up)?

Congrats! It can never hurt to negotiate.

dreamofNYC

Postby dreamofNYC » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:00 pm

Wbrem wrote:
dreamofNYC wrote:
PattyCake wrote:

Congrats! It can never hurt to negotiate.

Thank you. I'm waiting to hear from Cardozo as well. We'll see. In any case, I was not expecting such a generous offer to begin with...

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:35 am

dreamofNYC wrote:
PattyCake wrote:

I was told by an admin in the financial aid office that scholarship tiers go up in increments of $3K (Richardson is $34K). Have not heard of anyone having luck negotiating yet, but that was before the deposit deadline.

dreamofNYC

Postby dreamofNYC » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:30 pm

PattyCake wrote:
dreamofNYC wrote:
PattyCake wrote:

I was told by an admin in the financial aid office that scholarship tiers go up in increments of $3K (Richardson is $34K). Have not heard of anyone having luck negotiating yet, but that was before the deposit deadline.

I got a full ride from NYLS. That's going to be hard to refuse :(

vlshort3955

Postby vlshort3955 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:06 pm

Please refuse NYLS!! Not taking advantage of that much money from Brooklyn would be so sad to see.

[/quote]I got a full ride from NYLS. That's going to be hard to refuse :([/quote]

Wbrem

Postby Wbrem » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:07 pm

vlshort3955 wrote:Please refuse NYLS!! Not taking advantage of that much money from Brooklyn would be so sad to see.

I got a full ride from NYLS. That's going to be hard to refuse :([/quote][/quote]

I agree. You should really try to negotiate up with Brooklyn before taking NYLS.

dreamofNYC

Postby dreamofNYC » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:44 pm

Wbrem wrote:
vlshort3955 wrote:Please refuse NYLS!! Not taking advantage of that much money from Brooklyn would be so sad to see.

I got a full ride from NYLS. That's going to be hard to refuse :(
[/quote]

I agree. You should really try to negotiate up with Brooklyn before taking NYLS.[/quote]

Thanks all, I'll def negotiate Bklyn. I will write them an email on Monday. i'll keep everyone posted. I'd take Bklyn over NYLS in a heartbeat.

Happy Easter to those celebrating!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”