How did you react when you got in?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kimikho

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby Kimikho » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:32 pm

bumping this for a great Harvard acceptance:

malleus discentium wrote:I got in yesterday :D
Submitted: 12/09
Complete: 12/18
JS1: 1/13
Interview: 1/28
Call: Around 5:30 EST

:D :D :D :D

Congratulations to all my fellow admits, condolences to the unfortunate dinged and good luck to the rest!

candywolf

Postby candywolf » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:16 am

scoobers wrote:Reaction from the Stanford thread:

candywolf wrote:I left my phone at home this morning so as to focus on senior thesis work.
Checked my email during water break and have to read Faye's email 5 times to make sure I am not dreaming:

"While I would have certainly enjoyed passing along this bit of good news to you personally, I was not successful in reaching you by phone. So, via e-mail, please accept my congratulations on your admission."

Apparently Dean Deal is up early today. TRYING VERY HARD NOW NOT TO SCREAM OUT LOUD IN THE LIBRARY.

178, 3.9+, K-JD. Thanks to all TLSers for all your support.

I love the "TRYING VERY HARD" part.

Haha thanks scoobers - feel honored to be quoted.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:55 pm

I don't have any great stories... I've just lost a lot of productive time at work after learning of acceptances, especially Vandy and my full tuition offer at Wake. Good thing those decisions came late in the day, or I probably wouldn't have made it the whole work day.

The Dark Kite

Postby The Dark Kite » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:26 pm

I was super excited... I put off applying for 2 years trying to beef up the resume. I was gunning for the best possible school I could get into but realistically I just wanted to get in somewhere... and my first acceptance was a T20, which felt amazing... I got the email a few hours after an interview and I forwarded it to my mom who later cried because she was so proud.. my sister found out and my best friends did and everyone was just calling me and congratulating me... but the more calls, the more it really started to sink in and it felt like that scene in The Graduate...

And I was like "I'm not gonna get any scholly money am I..." like I was literally thinking that as someone was congratulating me on the phone... and I was just staring into the void thinking "I better be in the top 20% or else I'm effed.."

And then I remember getting off the phone.. and at the time I was driving from NY to MA and the whole way I kept telling myself "Dear Lord, I'm effed.."

The Dark Kite

Postby The Dark Kite » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:27 pm

The Dark Kite wrote:I was super excited... I put off applying for 2 years trying to beef up the resume. I was gunning for the best possible school I could get into but realistically I just wanted to get in somewhere... and my first acceptance was a T20, which felt amazing... I got the email a few hours after an interview and I forwarded it to my mom who later cried because she was so proud.. my sister found out and my best friends did and everyone was just calling me and congratulating me... but the more calls, the more it really started to sink in and it felt like that scene in The Graduate...

And I was like "I'm not gonna get any scholly money am I..." like I was literally thinking that as someone was congratulating me on the phone... and I was just staring into the void thinking "I better be in the top 20% or else I'm effed.."

And then I remember getting off the phone.. and at the time I was driving from NY to MA and the whole way I kept telling myself "Dear Lord, I'm effed.."

Epilogue: I still catch myself sometimes saying "Dear Lord, I'm effed" in the back of my head..

the_pakalypse

Postby the_pakalypse » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:33 pm

Sunday evening, sitting in the library working. Call from New Haven :shock:

Mumbled some variation of "oh my god.. oh my god" over and over again. Kept sitting and standing up. I remember very little of that call actually.

Craziest part is I heard from Y before H, S or C. Super unexpected.

LyricsToLitigation

Postby LyricsToLitigation » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:52 am

For every acceptance ... This

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:29 am

I can't tell you how it felt to get in, but I can tell you that this is what every waitlist ever felt like is how I reacted to every waitlist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMjgSkfQPSY

LyricsToLitigation

Postby LyricsToLitigation » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:57 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:I can't tell you how it felt to get in, but I can tell you that this is what every waitlist ever felt like is how I reacted to every waitlist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMjgSkfQPSY

the love i have for that show... is breathtaking, and yet, overwhelming all at once.

alanjd

Postby alanjd » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:16 am

I got the phone call from Willamette while I was working at the international admissions office for my school. I saw the area code and I assumed it was my old workplace calling about some tax forms that I was waiting for. I had my headphones on and I discreetly answered the call.

"Hi, this is Someone from Willamette University School of Law. Is this Alan?"

"Yes." I thought it was way too soon to be hearing back from them and I assumed that schools didn't discuss admissions over the phone so I was preparing for her to tell me that something was wrong with my application.

"Do you have a minute?" she asks.

"Kinda. I'm and work right now, but I can talk," I said still trying to be discreet about the personal phone call that I was on while at work.

"Well, I will make it quick. I wanted to congratulate you and let you know that we are offering admissions to you for our class of 2017."

"Are you serious?" I get up from my desk and walked outside in a daze.

She said yes and told me that I was also being offered the Dean's Scholarship for $30,000. I stepped outside into the parking lot while she went on saying some things that I cant remember. There was someone unloading something from a car and they asked me to help them not realizing that I was on the phone. My head was spinning, but I heard her say, "That is all for now. Do you have any questions for me?"

"Not right now. Thank you so much. This is great news," I hung up and went to help the person unloading the car. I wanted to call my wife and parents but this stranger needed help carrying some food up to the 5th floor. After I dropped it off, I went out and called my wife who could barely hear me because of the bad reception in our building. Then I went back down and called my mom.

I spent the rest of the day pretending to work but actually emailing everyone and posting social media updates.

I'm enjoying reading all of your stories. Sorry for any typos.
Last edited by alanjd on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iskim88

Postby iskim88 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:30 am

When I got my acceptance email from BC at 12:30 AM, I ran upstairs to my parent's room. They were sleeping; regardless, I yelled out loud and clear: "I'M IN AT BC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
They both woke up and we talked about how grateful we were until 3:30 AM. I was late to class the next day and my dad was late to work lol..... but we could care less.

The problem was that this continued on for three days. We all got home after out duties were over and we would resist to go to bed over how happy we were. I'm finally getting back on track and facing the reality that I might have to fully debt-finance my 3 years at BC (scholarship info not in yet) but fingers crossed for some $$$

joshringu

Postby joshringu » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:31 am

My reaction was with UCLA Law (my first choice). I applied ED, and was waitlisted.

It was on my girlfriend's birthday, so I was driving all around Los Angeles because we had the whole day planned. Since I was waitlisted, I was not expecting the acceptance call at all. Additionally, it was a Saturday, and it was around 5:00 PM. In other words, I DEFINITELY was not expecting the call.

When I got the call, I was driving in Pasadena down Arroyo Blvd. My phone was on silent so I missed the first call. I recognized the number, and assumed it was UCLA undergrad alumni services asking for donations (I get these calls at least once a week, so I memorized their number). HOWEVER, I realized the phone number was a little different, and there was a voicemail - this never happened before. My heart skipped a beat and I put the phone on speaker to listen to the voicemail.

The voicemail was from Dean Schwartz, and he asked to call him back. I was driving, so I decided to park in front of this restaurant. By this time I started to shake, and I asked my girlfriend to write down the phone number. I called Dean Schwartz, and he told me he had good news for me. Right then my girlfriend started crying and I felt chills coming over me. I also gave a little yelp haha.

I had to write this down, especially since UCLA was my first pick, it was on my girlfriend's birthday, AND it was very unexpected.

iskim88

Postby iskim88 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:38 am

joshringu wrote:My reaction was with UCLA Law (my first choice). I applied ED, and was waitlisted.

It was on my girlfriend's birthday, so I was driving all around Los Angeles because we had the whole day planned. Since I was waitlisted, I was not expecting the acceptance call at all. Additionally, it was a Saturday, and it was around 5:00 PM. In other words, I DEFINITELY was not expecting the call.

When I got the call, I was driving in Pasadena down Arroyo Blvd. My phone was on silent so I missed the first call. I recognized the number, and assumed it was UCLA undergrad alumni services asking for donations (I get these calls at least once a week, so I memorized their number). HOWEVER, I realized the phone number was a little different, and there was a voicemail - this never happened before. My heart skipped a beat and I put the phone on speaker to listen to the voicemail.

The voicemail was from Dean Schwartz, and he asked to call him back. I was driving, so I decided to park in front of this restaurant. By this time I started to shake, and I asked my girlfriend to write down the phone number. I called Dean Schwartz, and he told me he had good news for me. Right then my girlfriend started crying and I felt chills coming over me. I also gave a little yelp haha.

I had to write this down, especially since UCLA was my first pick, it was on my girlfriend's birthday, AND it was very unexpected.

Wow I'm so happy for you! This definitely is really dramatic.

winterorange

Postby winterorange » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:03 am

This thread is the best. Warm fuzzies all around!

The feeling of getting accepted is really great--especially since, for my undergrad application, my CommonApp essay was uploaded wrong (it was the rough draft version) and I didn't get into any of the 10 schools I applied to, except my safety. So now I have the experience the sensation of getting something I really, really wanted, and it's amazing.

My first acceptance was Duke, and I kept screaming and then stopping myself because it felt unreal. I received my NYU acceptance via voicemail, because I was brushing my teeth when the call happened. I called back and left a somewhat incoherent voicemail about how grateful and honored I was. With Georgetown, my roommate had gone out to get the mail and the exchange went like this:

Roommate: You got a letter from Georgetown.
me: Oh no. Not a package?
Roommate: No, sorry.
me: Oh well. It was bound to happen.
Roommate: I guess we all know what a small letter means.
me: -opens letter and reads the first few lines out loud-

I screamed and we hugged and laughed, etc. It was nice.

rist

Postby rist » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:18 am

After Columbia I got a beer and laughed at my cat for 40 minutes.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:16 am

rist wrote:After Columbia I got a beer and laughed at my cat for 40 minutes.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:40 am

I got the letter and I was like "that's cool but I need money where's the money"

I got the letter w scholarship and I was like "that's cool let's carefully weigh the benefits against the cost"

That was MRW

yomisterd

Postby yomisterd » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:44 am

rad lulz wrote:I got the letter and I was like "that's cool but I need money where's the money"

I got the letter w scholarship and I was like "that's cool let's carefully weigh the benefits against the cost"

That was MRW

How logical of you. That LSAT Prep must've paid off.

joshringu

Postby joshringu » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:07 pm

iskim88 wrote:
joshringu wrote:My reaction was with UCLA Law (my first choice). I applied ED, and was waitlisted.

Wow I'm so happy for you! This definitely is really dramatic.

Haha thanks! The call definitely came at the right time.

anyriotgirl

Postby anyriotgirl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:15 pm

rad lulz wrote:I got the letter and I was like "that's cool but I need money where's the money"

That was MRW

+1 I refused to let myself get too excited about anything besides scholarship offers.

alanjd

Postby alanjd » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:31 pm

My second acceptance also came while I was at work.

I was sitting at my desk going through my daily routine. For Christmas, I got a Pebble smart watch that notifies me when I get texts, emails, and other notifications. It buzzed and I glanced at it quickly. I was having a text conversation with a friend, so I thought he was replying to my last txt.

The watch screen read: FROM: Lewis and Clark Office of Admissions. SUBJECT: Exciting news from L & C.

My heart started beating as I pulled my phone out of my pocket. I opened the email and read the message. I quietly got up form my desk and went into an empty conference room to call my family.

This acceptance was really unexpected because it was the highest ranked out of all my applications. It's a great feeling.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:42 pm

That was MRW

As a reapplicant, this is completely true.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:43 pm

I shit a brick. Literally... An actual brick.

anna8506

Postby anna8506 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:05 pm

I was happy for like 30 mins after every acceptance, then start calculating how much I have to pay to attend...

Then become mad because on LSN, they offered more money to other people with similar numbers, lol, following which is the endless research on employment stats.

samoby

Postby samoby » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:12 pm

anna8506 wrote:I was happy for like 30 mins after every acceptance, then start calculating how much I have to pay to attend...

Then become mad because on LSN, they offered more money to other people with similar numbers, lol, following which is the endless research on employment stats.

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”