How did you react when you got in?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Nova

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby Nova » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:07 am

I expected a lot more reaction gifs

Come on guys

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:16 am

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
"Yeah I missed your call, I was busy jumping out of a perfectly good airplane with a parachute that I knowingly packed like shit. What do you want?"

Way to go, Attax.

Vexed

Postby Vexed » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:25 am

--ImageRemoved--

Attax

Postby Attax » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:28 am

yossarian71 wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
"Yeah I missed your call, I was busy jumping out of a perfectly good airplane with a parachute that I knowingly packed like shit. What do you want?"

Way to go, Attax.

insert gif here

I do think after landing my face pulled a

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:31 am

Nova wrote:I expected a lot more reaction gifs

Come on guys

I expected a lot more STORIES. come on people there were JS2s today.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:37 am

scoobers wrote:

Come on guys

If I had a JS2 today I might be...

1) sobbing hysterically
2) giving/receiving the most memorable bedroom performance of my life
3) just still giggling
4) calling friends/family/old high school enemies
5) drinking a $100+ bottle of scotch/champagne
6) eating a $100+ steak
7) walking around finding random babies to kiss/puppies to hug

I would probably not be writing a narrative of these events

residentemma

Postby residentemma » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:46 am

scoobers wrote:

Come on guys

My JS2 story is not that exciting. I was actually browsing TLS after being hardcore trolled by a Palo Alto telemarketer (seriously, having a 650 area code and not being Stanford should be illegal) when I saw the 617 area code on my phone. I almost peed myself, but managed to calm myself enough to pick up. JS was so lovely, she gave a really nice friendly speech about how my interviewer really enjoyed our conversation and that they were offering me a place in the incoming class... and then I think I was in shock or something because I just yelled "NO!!!" into the phone. I don't know why. There was an awkward pause.

I backtracked with something like "I mean, this is great, this is awes-this is amazing news, wow. Thank you so much. Thanks a lot." and then she laughed and told me some things but I forget all of them.

Then I realized I had soaked through 3 layers of clothing with my nervous armpit sweat. Then I took a shower.

Howl

Postby Howl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:51 am

residentemma wrote:
scoobers wrote:

Come on guys

My JS2 story is not that exciting. I was actually browsing TLS after being hardcore trolled by a Palo Alto telemarketer (seriously, having a 650 area code and not being Stanford should be illegal) when I saw the 617 area code on my phone. I almost peed myself, but managed to calm myself enough to pick up. JS was so lovely, she gave a really nice friendly speech about how my interviewer really enjoyed our conversation and that they were offering me a place in the incoming class... and then I think I was in shock or something because I just yelled "NO!!!" into the phone. I don't know why. There was an awkward pause.

I backtracked with something like "I mean, this is great, this is awes-this is amazing news, wow. Thank you so much. Thanks a lot." and then she laughed and told me some things but I forget all of them.

Then I realized I had soaked through 3 layers of clothing with my nervous armpit sweat. Then I took a shower.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

vicpin5190

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:57 am

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Howl

Postby Howl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:09 am

I acted like a completely rational boring person after my JS2, so I guess I'll tell my Columbia story.

Someone on TLS had gotten a letter by Monday, so I was on red alert from then. On Monday, I begged my roommate to go check the mail while I get out of work. Nothing. On Tuesday, I pestered my roommate again to check my mail while I'm still at work. Nada. On Wednesday, I had dinner with a friend from out of town, then unconsciously rushed home to check the mail. Still nuthin'. Damnation!

Thursday rolls around and I'm starting to lose hope, but coincidentally work let out early and I got home by 3:30pm. The mail is supposed to come at around 4pm, so I started pestering our package-holding man, who told me the regular mail person doesn't come on Thursdays so it could be any time from then to 7pm. Defeated, I went back to take a nap, and woke up at 5:50pm. I half considered not going to the lobby, but i grudgingly went down in my pajamas. In the mailbox - there was a useless magazine, a pizza hut coupon, and A BLUE ENVELOPE!! Holy crap!! I started doing an impromptu jig/modified chicken dance right there in the lobby, with a grin that could send sane men scampering into nearby woods.

Despite the urge to go at the envelope with my nails and teeth and claim what is mine right there in the lobby, I suppressed the urge as people there were giving me strange looks. I came back up to my room, tore open the packaging, started reading the letter and GASPED out so loud that my roommate woke up from her nap. There, in the second line, were the bolded words Hamilton Fellow - something I had only heard about in legends and whispered TLS rumors.

Obviously, my half-sleep-addled brain couldn't handle any more and I started crying for the first time in a year and a half. Then I drank an entire 3 dollar bottle of wine and gorged on brie, then I passed out.

Serett

Postby Serett » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:14 am

I'm such a boring, stone husk of a person. It doesn't help that I've been at work for most of my decisions, but I haven't had too emphatic a reaction to any of them. Receiving decisions is certainly exciting, but I realize that most others just don't care too much while losing it on my own would feel unnatural. In any case, your stories are all wonderful and allow me to live through the proxy of more exuberant (or in some cases, neurotic, but I say that lovingly :P ) people. Despite being positively stoked, a wide grin is about all the decisions can coax out of me.

aldiddy

Postby aldiddy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:43 pm

I was accepted to Penn while I was at a brewery and that was pretty epic and even more convenient.

ShrimpToastMasters

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:04 pm

So, I kinda guessed I was into NYU (because of the whole ability to log into the admitted students website) but the call still floored me (weirdly - had a very blah reaction to my CLS/Butler. idk.):

The setting: I know calls are going out, but I'm also in NYC, so NY numbers are not really helpful:

*Ring Ring*

Me: Hello? Hi?
Caller: *garble garble mumble mumble*
Me: Hello? This is ShrimpToast - I'm sorry, I can't hear you?
Caller: Can you hear me? *garble mumble* NYU Law! *garble mumble*
Me: I'm so so sorry - I have terrible reception in my office. Did you say you're calling from NYU Law?
Caller: *garble* Congratulations! *mumble* Accepted into *white noise* 2017!
Me: I'm not exactly sure what you said, but that's so exciting! Thank you for calling!

I then proceeded to finish up cite-checking a document. My acceptance then hit me and I literally start jumping up and down and silent screaming in my office. My co-worker sees me and I tell him about it. He then proceeds to cover my position, tells me to go and start drinking - instead, I celebrated by going out and buying ass loads of super-duper fancy X-mas wrapping paper from Papyrus.

7ofNine

Postby 7ofNine » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:09 pm

I was accepted to my second choice school at work via e-mail. I texted my parents and my SO and then went in and told my boss that I was officially leaving in the fall. He knew I was applying and I work in a law firm. His first question, "Is it a full time or part time program?" He is really bummed I will not be continuing to work through law school. After work I actually called my parents and my dad started crying...the school is his alma mater.

I was kind of in shock and I am just starting to realize it is all real now, over a month later.

Banshee

Postby Banshee » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:44 pm

GW was the first school I was accepted at and it is also my top choice, so it was double the excitement. Plus I heard at the beginning on December, so I was super surprised to get the email so quickly; wasn't expecting it at all. Anywho....so I'm at work, and I get the email and I'm *silently* freaking out at my desk (bouncing up and down in my seat, smiling uncontrollably, etc...). Then I read the email like 6 times to make sure it did, in fact, state that I got in and that it was, in fact, from GW (I probably read it about 20 times by the end of the day because I kept expecting it to change). So I grab my cell and walk outside......call my fiance, no answer (crap!), call my mom, no answer (WTF!), call my sister, no answer (seriously, now you guys are just screwing with me!). Eventually they all called back but it kinda took the wind out of my sails.

CountryRoads

Postby CountryRoads » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:49 pm

Here's a fun story...

This morning I got fired from my job. I was angry and on the verge of tears. As I was driving home I got a phone call notifying me of my first acceptance with almost a full ride...

Sure turned around a crappy day lol, now I have a better reason to have a few drinks

capt_slow

Postby capt_slow » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:51 pm

CountryRoads wrote:Here's a fun story...

This morning I got fired from my job. I was angry and on the verge of tears. As I was driving home I got a phone call notifying me of my first acceptance with almost a full ride...

Sure turned around a crappy day lol, now I have a better reason to have a few drinks

Always better to drink "happy"

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:53 pm

CountryRoads wrote:Here's a fun story...

Nice!

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:13 pm

Bumping for this:

bobloblaw7 wrote:So I very (very) rarely post on TLS but I wanted to come out of my lurkerdom to say that

I JUST GOT INTO STANFORD!!!!!!! I have been waitlisted the past two years at Stanford so I have literally been waiting for 2 years, 4 months and 12 days for this phone call. Absolutely blown away.

Dean Deal called at 3pm Pacific time

I went complete 11/27
LSAT: 174 (retake)
GPA: 3.9+

Good luck everyone!!

Normally not a fan of lurkers just popping in to say they got in and then leaving, but this was really sweet I thought.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:19 pm

When I started this cycle I was set on going to UVA because I saw it as my top option outside of the T3 and with my GPA there was no hope of getting HYS to look my way. So, one morning in Oct. I woke up to an email from Dean Richard at UVA asking me to call. As they had started doing interviews this year I figured they wanted to do a short interview with me over the phone. So, i put it aside and went for a run with my wife. When we got back I showered and to called Dean Richard. After the basic pleasantries, completely skipping over the expected interview, she notified me that I had been accepted. I couldn't believe it. I thanked her and got off the phone as fast as I could so that I could tell my wife who was still in the shower. I must have lost my because next thing I knew I was back in the shower fully-clothed! I couldn't stop laughing and smiling. I was going to law school!!

A couple of months later i noticed that the first round of decisions were going out at Harvard. After 40 minutes of so of watching others celebrate and hating myself and my GPA I turned off my computer. My wife and I then left to drive over to her parent's house. We were enroute when my phone which she was holding started ringing. She looked at me and screamed, "Its from Cambridge, PULL OVER!" (we live in California so no talking and driving) so I did. After checking my blindspot I swerved into a Cheveron parking lot and answered the phone, trying to sound as clam and nonchalant as possible. I quickly found out that is was Jessica Soban notifying me that had been accepted to Harvard Law School. Any hopes of a unconcerned or blasé demeanor melted away in a sea of "Thank you"'s and "I can't believe it"'s. After we hung up my wife and I just looked at each other and started screaming. We got to her parent's as soon as possible and did our best to let the whole world know.

Edit for grammar
Last edited by The-Specs on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:22 pm

these are great, but gotta admit, im morbidly waiting for the story wherein someone reacts so inappropriately over the phone that the offer is retracted.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:25 pm

wealtheow wrote:these are great, but gotta admit, im morbidly waiting for the story wherein someone reacts so inappropriately over the phone that the offer is retracted.

"We were going to let scoobers into Yale, but the second she picked up the phone she puked, slipped in the puke, and knocked herself out. I mean, she WAS a Yale contender but...Yalies just don't knock themselves out it's just not what they do."

(The_Specs--that was great!!!)

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:28 pm

scoobers wrote:
wealtheow wrote:these are great, but gotta admit, im morbidly waiting for the story wherein someone reacts so inappropriately over the phone that the offer is retracted.

"We were going to let scoobers into Yale, but the second she picked up the phone she puked, slipped in the puke, and knocked herself out. I mean, she WAS a Yale contender but...Yalies just don't knock themselves out it's just not what they do."

(The_Specs--that was great!!!)

Thanks scoobs. :)

Also, don't knock yourself out. It isn't good for you.

KatyMarie

Postby KatyMarie » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:33 pm

When Penn called and offered me acceptance I just went "Whoah" and my voice got all shaky after that and I thanked her an inappropriate amount of times. She even said something like "Yeah, it's exciting isn't it?" in response to my disbelief/over the top reaction. I have got to figure out how to play it more cool 8)

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:48 pm

Reaction from the Stanford thread:

candywolf wrote:I left my phone at home this morning so as to focus on senior thesis work.
Checked my email during water break and have to read Faye's email 5 times to make sure I am not dreaming:

"While I would have certainly enjoyed passing along this bit of good news to you personally, I was not successful in reaching you by phone. So, via e-mail, please accept my congratulations on your admission."

Apparently Dean Deal is up early today. TRYING VERY HARD NOW NOT TO SCREAM OUT LOUD IN THE LIBRARY.

178, 3.9+, K-JD. Thanks to all TLSers for all your support.

I love the "TRYING VERY HARD" part.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”