How did you react when you got in?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chizzy

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby chizzy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:34 pm

Thanks scoobs for this thread! Already enjoying the lovely reactions.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:35 pm

drawstring wrote:
Our year had the infamous "Voldemort" trick for checking your status at NYU CLS.

Please explain :D

Someone (accidentally) posted the link/password for the entrance to the admitted students website. You were required to put in your personal info as well. If you could access the site, you were admitted. (If you were not admitted yet the website didn't work.) It only worked for people if the school hadn't gotten around to sending you the VCE yet.

My memory was poor. It was CLS. You can read through the pages of 0L neuroticism here if you like.

Savage13

Postby Savage13 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:43 pm

I don't think an acceptance to any school could make me jump up and down or react involuntarily. I just realized that I am a boring person. :(

retaking23

Postby retaking23 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:46 pm

After I got into Duke, I immediately entered a cycle of euphoric catharsis followed by episodes of disbelief. I will probably stay this way until I actually go to Durham when I will enter a cycle of euphoric catharsis followed by ZOMG-this-LAWL-school-isn't-all-marshmallow-and-banana-pudding-like-I-thought-it-would-be.

Wildcats17

Postby Wildcats17 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:47 pm

I actually cried when I got NU ED. I checked the decision letter delivery system every day for the next two weeks to make sure it wasn't a mistake.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:00 pm

smaug wrote:
drawstring wrote:
Our year had the infamous "Voldemort" trick for checking your status at NYU CLS.

Please explain :D

Someone (accidentally) posted the link/password for the entrance to the admitted students website. You were required to put in your personal info as well. If you could access the site, you were admitted. (If you were not admitted yet the website didn't work.) It only worked for people if the school hadn't gotten around to sending you the VCE yet.

My memory was poor. It was CLS. You can read through the pages of 0L neuroticism here if you like.

:lol:

we've been able to do that for NYU and Gtown (kinda) this year.

barrelofmonkeys

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:20 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:When I got into Penn, I was sitting at my desk in the middle of the office. My phone lit up, and when I saw it was a PA number (after initial confusion), I declared loudly, "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?" Then I stood up and scurried out into the hallway to take the call.

Nobody at work knows that I'm leaving, so when I came back and they asked what was going on, I made up some story about a friend being engaged to or something. The rest of the day I just sat there like giddily blushing and smiling like a fool.

you left out the part that involved me

Postby 04102014 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:28 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:When I got into Penn, I was sitting at my desk in the middle of the office. My phone lit up, and when I saw it was a PA number (after initial confusion), I declared loudly, "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?" Then I stood up and scurried out into the hallway to take the call.

Nobody at work knows that I'm leaving, so when I came back and they asked what was going on, I made up some story about a friend being engaged to or something. The rest of the day I just sat there like giddily blushing and smiling like a fool.

ALSO

I scurried to the hallway again upon receiving a call from a certain barreled angel. To this day I've never heard such a divine voice nor felt such warmth in my heart and loins.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:48 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:

ALSO

I scurried to the hallway again upon receiving a call from a certain barreled angel. To this day I've never heard such a divine voice nor felt such warmth in my heart and loins.

:D

femmefatale

Postby femmefatale » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:54 pm

Love this thread. Thanks for sharing, everyone! :D

Definitely bookmarking this one.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:31 pm

I got a voicemail but I was having some beers with some coworkers. Figured it wouldn't be a school because it was past 7 pm. Finally got around to checking it when I got home at night. It was JS welcoming me to Harvard. DRUNK VICTORY LAP UP AND DOWN MY APT. I think I laughed with glee for like 5 whole mins.

Vincent

Postby Vincent » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:33 pm

I had gotten dinged from Harvard two days earlier on 4/4 (a really bad day according to Chinese tradition), so my friend dragged me out to rock-climbing and museum-hopping that Saturday (there's a Planet Granite down by the Presidio in the City; also, Bank of America has this deal with museums that gives free admission to cardholders on the first Saturday of the month). I got up really early and BARTed to Daly City, where I waited for a while - to the point that I thought I had gotten stood up, further contributing to my bad mood. Eventually my friend did pick me up - he had gotten stuck in SF traffic.

We proceed to get semi-lost - we nearly accidentally drove over the Golden Gate Bridge (which is like $8 in tolls) when an unknown 650 number called. Keep in mind that that was a Saturday morning, so I was not expecting anything. Not to mention that I was 100% sure that SLS would never take a 3.6 non-URM, ever. I was in the middle of giving my friend directions, and I stopped mid-direction and went into my own world - he just kept driving; eventually he found some random parking lot and waited for me :) Also, I totally answered with "You're kidding!" in the moment, so whatever you say, it can't be worse (keep in mind that Faye has a blog post explicitly saying that you SHOULDN'T say something like that when she calls!). The entire conversation was kind of a blur... I remember trying to copy down a number, completely failing to do so because I was too flustered, and Faye giggling and telling me she would just email me.

Then I called my mom and made her have to sit down.

I got Faye's [edit: typo'ed] email that evening. The last line?
"And, no, I'm not kidding."
Last edited by Vincent on Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

scoopDeeDoo

Postby scoopDeeDoo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:34 pm

Last edited by scoopDeeDoo on Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:35 pm

Vincent wrote:I had gotten dinged from Harvard two days earlier on 4/4 (a really bad day according to Chinese tradition), so my friend dragged me out to rock-climbing and museum-hopping that Saturday (there's a Planet Granite down by the Presidio in the City; also, Bank of America has this deal with museums that gives free admission to cardholders on the first Saturday of the month). I got up really early and BARTed to Daly City, where I waited for a while - to the point that I thought I had gotten stood up, further contributing to my bad mood. Eventually my friend did pick me up - he had gotten stuck in SF traffic.

We proceed to get semi-lost - we nearly accidentally drove over the Golden Gate Bridge (which is like $8 in tolls) when an unknown 650 number called. Keep in mind that that was a Saturday morning, so I was not expecting anything. Not to mention that I was 100% sure that SLS would never take a 3.6 non-URM, ever. I was in the middle of giving my friend directions, and I stopped mid-direction and went into my own world - he just kept driving; eventually he found some random parking lot and waited for me :) Also, I totally answered with "You're kidding!" in the moment, so whatever you say, it can't be worse (keep in mind that Faye has a blog post explicitly saying that you SHOULDN'T say something like that when she calls!). The entire conversation was kind of a blur... I remember trying to copy down a number, completely failing to do so because I was too flustered, and Faye giggling and telling me she would just email me.

I got the email Faye's email that evening. The last line?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

EquallyWrong

Postby EquallyWrong » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:38 pm

I developed a rash on both my palms after being admitted to Berkeley. Is this normal?

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:46 pm

My acceptances from both cycles are all TTT so I've never felt this. At least not yet. :(

Almost had it when I checked my phone during breakfast and saw that Cornell had made a decision. I used the "search" function and typed in "sorry" and "unfortunately." When I didn't find it, I opened the email...and got put on reserve. :( :( :(

Quest4Knowledge

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:29 am

Wow, touching to read all these posts - there's so much genuine excitement.

I only applied recently, but hopefully will be able to share some good stories in the near future!

angels2fly

Postby angels2fly » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:47 am

I screamed and jumped when I got the Virginia email. Proceeded to blast Train's "Meet Virginia" for the next couple of hours while I contacted friends and family.

FlatFox

Postby FlatFox » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:56 am

So I only applied to U of NM because I'm settled in the area, and they have the program I want (Native American Law). I had fairly competitive numbers for UNM, but I'd heard horror stories of people getting dinged for not having significant ties to the area. I'm not from here, so I was genuinely worried.

I randomly checked the status checker even though my app had only been complete for a week. They had told us at their open house they would look at a few in December, but would likely send out only a couple of acceptances (if any). Well, their status checker has this evil feature where it says decision is rendered, but they will notify you via e-mail what the decision is within 1 business day. It was nearly 5 in the afternoon when I saw decision rendered, but I obsessed for the rest of the day. Every time my phone dinged for an e-mail, my heart would race.

My husband and I were moving at the time, and I spent the next day painting with my father in law. I really resented every person who e-mailed me that day, because I'd panic every time. Around 4 PM I got a call from their admissions officer congratulating me, and I did my best to quietly jump up and down while my FIL watched in confusion. I gave him a thumbs up, and he gave me a weak smile and went back to washing paint rollers. He's not particularly enthusiastic about anything. The gentleman on the phone gave me his number, but I didn't have much in the new house with which to write. I ended up writing his name and number in sharpie on the folder from season six of Gilmore Girls.

That is my long-winded story.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:09 am

I love these! Keep them coming everyone :) and to those who haven't gotten in I'm sure you'll be back to share soon

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:34 am

Attax storytime!

For those who don't know, I'm quite the splitter. While I don't have a great splitter LSAT compared to some, I seem to have one of the lowest GPAs on TLS for this cycle (at least at the schools I'm applying to).I sent out numerous apps, as per the splitter recommendation. I believe as of now I applied to 17 schools. My reaches included Northwestern, Texas, WUStL. I figured WU, but had no hopes for the other two. Despite being a Texas resident and a UT undergrad I had all but accepted that I was going to get a great big "DING" from GPA loving Texas.

There are plenty of reasons why Texas was, and still is, my top choice. It may not be T14, but with ties here in Texas and Hazelwood eligible an acceptance means that pre-scholarship I had no tuition to pay. This is a huge dream come true, but alas, my slacking days made me put it off with the thought that I may be able to use my Hazelwood benefits at Houston.

After receiving my LSAT, I sent all apps in. 12/1. Of course, the obsessive status checking began. Within two weeks I had my first acceptance to Washington & Lee. It was nice knowing that someone, somewhere, had been impressed enough by my application to grant me admissions. I figured it would be a long cycle with a lot of disappointments and most likely an inevitable retake. Oh how mistaken I was.

On December 17th, I was out doing what I have done many times now and even wrote my personal statement about: skydiving. I had just finished my last round of finals (none this semester for this K-JD!) and was rewarding myself with a few more jumps before it dropped below 50º which is getting way too chilly to jump! Law school was far from my mind as I moved from the packing floor, to the plane, through the air, landing, and back to the packing floor. I had just finished a rather quick and sloppy pack job (I wanted more jumps, damnit!) and was harnessing in whenever my phone started ringing. I am a zone person: whenever I am getting ready I am in the zone and do not welcome distractions very readily. My friend saw it and tossed my phone to me, a 512 area code. Eh, I can ignore it. Probably just an annoying spamcall from a local business where I put in a card to win a free beer or other $3 item. I rejected the call and let it go to voicemail. I climb into the plane, earplugs in, take my nice 10 minute nap up to altitude. I opened the door and proceeded to exit, which was great since we actually had the photographer out. Being a friend of mine, he gets me some stills for free whenever he can.

EDIT: removed image because it was big

Through the freefall I have no worries: I've been accepted to law school, I'm done with my last ever undergrad finals, and all I have really to stress about is my crappy packjob opening up. I engage and, despite a rough opening, I am gently floating under my canopy towards the ground. As I begin braking for my landing, and grazing my photographer friend's head with the toe of my shoe, I come to a stop. High fives are thrown around as are standard following an awesome and successful jump. We head back inside where I grab my phone and step outside because a voicemail was left, which was odd since usually the local places won't bother. I log into my voicemail and hear "This call is for (insert name here). This is Dean Ingram with the University of Texas Law School..." I hang up and instantly call back. I wanted to hear it coming from her directly, not from a message that was left. As she answers the phone, I apologize for missing her call due to being 10,000 feet in the sky. The Dean snickers and just begins with "Congratulations..." The following words were blurry due to the rush of adrenaline that I got from not only a law school acceptance, but an acceptance that was far from anticipated.

I went in and told all my non-whuffo buddies who came out with me. We originally went to celebrate the end of finals, but celebrated my new acceptance as well. And, after calming down, I was tossed a pre-packed chute for a labor free jump. Blue skies were truly on me.

xoGossipGirl

Postby xoGossipGirl » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:53 am

Vincent wrote:I had gotten dinged from Harvard two days earlier on 4/4 (a really bad day according to Chinese tradition), so my friend dragged me out to rock-climbing and museum-hopping that Saturday (there's a Planet Granite down by the Presidio in the City; also, Bank of America has this deal with museums that gives free admission to cardholders on the first Saturday of the month). I got up really early and BARTed to Daly City, where I waited for a while - to the point that I thought I had gotten stood up, further contributing to my bad mood. Eventually my friend did pick me up - he had gotten stuck in SF traffic.

I got Faye's [edit: typo'ed] email that evening. The last line?

^^^ <3 Congrats!!! This story is adorbzz

capt_slow

Postby capt_slow » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:15 pm

We mustn't let this thread get relegated to the depths of the second page!

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:41 pm

Attax wrote:Attax storytime!

Through the freefall I have no worries: I've been accepted to law school, I'm done with my last ever undergrad finals, and all I have really to stress about is my crappy packjob opening up. I engage and, despite a rough opening, I am gently floating under my canopy towards the ground. As I begin braking for my landing, and grazing my photographer friend's head with the toe of my shoe, I come to a stop. High fives are thrown around as are standard following an awesome and successful jump. We head back inside where I grab my phone and step outside because a voicemail was left, which was odd since usually the local places won't bother. I log into my voicemail and hear "This call is for (insert name here). This is Dean Ingram with the University of Texas Law School..." I hang up and instantly call back. I wanted to hear it coming from her directly, not from a message that was left. As she answers the phone, I apologize for missing her call due to being 10,000 feet in the sky. The Dean snickers and just begins with "Congratulations..." The following words were blurry due to the rush of adrenaline that I got from not only a law school acceptance, but an acceptance that was far from anticipated.

I went in and told all my non-whuffo buddies who came out with me. We originally went to celebrate the end of finals, but celebrated my new acceptance as well. And, after calming down, I was tossed a pre-packed chute for a labor free jump. Blue skies were truly on me.

"Yeah I missed your call, I was busy jumping out of a perfectly good airplane with a parachute that I knowingly packed like shit. What do you want?"

Way to go, Attax.

Attax

Postby Attax » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:02 am

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
"Yeah I missed your call, I was busy jumping out of a perfectly good airplane with a parachute that I knowingly packed like shit. What do you want?"

Way to go, Attax.

I should clarify one thing. A shit-pack job doesn't necessarily mean a dangerous one. A shit-pack job will just have a rough opening, which is fine by me. It saves me about 15 minutes off of the pack job so I get to jump more. No way would I compromise safety, but comfort, oh of course.

That being said, it has made for a nice icebreaker for all the discussions I've had with her.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”