How did you react when you got in?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

How did you react when you got in?

Postby Kimikho » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:39 pm

Share your acceptance stories here. The more dramatic the better.

The only place I've been accepted to that was completely out of the blue (as in, I had no idea an acceptance wave was happening) was Berkeley. I was in class and, like a good student, checked my email on my phone and saw an email from them and I squeaked.

But that is a boring story. I want interesting ones, particularly how people reacted to getting phone calls and ones that involve puking/fainting. I may or may not rate these in an entirely subjective manner and award superlative awards.

All schools eligible! Your dream school does not have to be Yale :D

PM me if you want to post anonymously! I'd imagine the best stories would be the ones to identify people anyways.
Last edited by Kimikho on Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1753
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby JustHawkin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:42 pm

I saw on the Penn thread someone told the adcomm "I love you" on the phone. Don't remember who it was, but I chuckled.

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby Kimikho » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:45 pm

JustHawkin wrote:I saw on the Penn thread someone told the adcomm "I love you" on the phone. Don't remember who it was, but I chuckled.


:lol: I saw that too and loled

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby Theopliske8711 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:45 pm

I got them at work, and they don't know that I will be leaving so I couldn't really show it. I got a little giddy and texted people. Funny enough, I think my family was more excited than I was since, immediately after I got the acceptances, the horror of debt and 1L came over me.

User avatar
yeslekkkk
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby yeslekkkk » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:55 pm

I guarantee you that I have a very interesting story about being admitted to the University of Michigan. However, if an adcomm read it, I would be immediately identified. sigh.

User avatar
scorneli
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:16 am

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby scorneli » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:58 pm

When I was accepted into Michigan I broke down into tears I was so thankful. I promptly called my family and friends and told them how excited I was to be accepted into the school of my dreams. I immediately began fantasizing about all the fun I would have AND OH THATS FUCKIN RIGHT I HAVEN'T BEEN ACCEPTED YET SHIT FUCK DAMNIT AWDKAUDNIUNNOOOOOOOOO

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby 04102014 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:20 pm

When I got into Penn, I was sitting at my desk in the middle of the office. My phone lit up, and when I saw it was a PA number (after initial confusion), I declared loudly, "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?" Then I stood up and scurried out into the hallway to take the call.

Nobody at work knows that I'm leaving, so when I came back and they asked what was going on, I made up some story about a friend being engaged to or something. The rest of the day I just sat there like giddily blushing and smiling like a fool.

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby yossarian » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:28 pm

I didn't really have doubts about getting in, but my favorite acceptance so far has been Notre Dame. I was staying at my parents for the holidays. Mind you, I submitted on 12/17ish. I woke up on Christmas Eve at 8:30am to my acceptance email.

I was able to tell my parents immediately, and mother made a big celebration breakfast. And it was just nice and warm and Christmasy.

Thanks to the adcomm who either (1) worked on Christmas Eve morning. Or (2) scheduled the email(s) for Christmas Eve as a nice little present from ND.

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby yossarian » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:29 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:When I got into Penn, I was sitting at my desk in the middle of the office. My phone lit up, and when I saw it was a PA number (after initial confusion), I declared loudly, "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?" Then I stood up and scurried out into the hallway to take the call.

Nobody at work knows that I'm leaving, so when I came back and they asked what was going on, I made up some story about a friend being engaged to or something. The rest of the day I just sat there like giddily blushing and smiling like a fool.


Constantly have this fear. I leave my phone on in class now. (I'm a teacher, not a student). I honestly think I might answer a PA or VA # in the middle of teaching. Haven't made up my mind.

User avatar
JazzieShizzle
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:47 am

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby JazzieShizzle » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:I got them at work, and they don't know that I will be leaving so I couldn't really show it. I got a little giddy and texted people. Funny enough, I think my family was more excited than I was since, immediately after I got the acceptances, the horror of debt and 1L came over me.


Whoa I love your avatar- great movie!

User avatar
samoby
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby samoby » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:12 pm

I teach elementary school ESL and recently started teaching the morning program from 7-8am, which is basically math and English tutoring for 3rd graders. Right before I went downstairs to get them one morning, I checked the Michigan status checker out of habit and had the fantastic accepted message. It was my first T14 acceptance and I have been somewhat enamored with Michigan since receiving their marketing materials, so I freaked out. All morning, I was super giddy, but my school doesn't know I'm leaving so I couldn't tell the kids yet. They still ask me at least once a week "Why were you so happy that day?"

User avatar
Ricky-Bobby
Posts: 1151
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:16 pm

Love this idea, scoobers. Hopefully the thread takes off and we get some good stories.

I interviewed on campus at WUSTL. The adcomm told me, "I'm going to go out and tell them to send your admission email."

I thanked her, thanked the desk clerk, and walked into the bathroom where I jumped up and down and pumped my arms until someone else walked in. I really want to know what that guy thought when he walked in and saw a sweaty guy in a suit looking flustered.

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby Otunga » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:23 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:Love this idea, scoobers. Hopefully the thread takes off and we get some good stories.

I interviewed on campus at WUSTL. The adcomm told me, "I'm going to go out and tell them to send your admission email."

I thanked her, thanked the desk clerk, and walked into the bathroom where I jumped up and down and pumped my arms until someone else walked in. I really want to know what that guy thought when he walked in and saw a sweaty guy in a suit looking flustered.


It was probably endearing, haha.

ejan1621
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby ejan1621 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:30 pm

.
Last edited by ejan1621 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 2301
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby Slytherpuff » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:32 pm

I was sitting in class and taking fantastic notes (AKA refreshing status checkers and TLS) when I checked Georgetown's ASW and discovered that I could now request login information. I gasped loudly and then sank into my desk when my classmates looked at me. I told myself that I couldn't get too excited since I couldn't log onto the website yet and I hadn't received an acceptance letter... but in my mind I was still jumping up and down with glee.

Fast forward to three hours later when I finally got home from class/work. I checked my mailbox, saw a large envelope from a safety school I'd been accepted to earlier that month (which I disregarded), and then found a tiny envelope hidden under a stack of junk mail. Georgetown. I squealed and tore the envelope open, nearly crinkled the pages inside, and read over the acceptance letter as I walked/skipped to my apartment. The next day was bright and sunny (welcome to California), birds were singing, and everyone seemed to be smiling at me. I think it was because they could tell by looking at my face - I'm calling it the Georgetown Glow now.

My Duke acceptance was less exciting - I screamed when I got the acceptance email, went out to a bar to celebrate and forgot how much I disliked brandy in my excited/distracted state, and lost a bet with my friend over the number of likes I would get on my Facebook status. (223)

User avatar
selden
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby selden » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:35 pm

For some reason, I haven't really been that pumped about any of my acceptances, despite getting into one of my dream schools. I have no idea why. I see the email and am like oh, cool. Then I basically just text a person or two, and they're always way happier than me. And that's it. I think it's just not real enough yet for me to really be excited. I really don't understand the contradiction between being so angsty waiting to hear that I can't sleep and not feeling much at all when I do.

User avatar
Typhoon24
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby Typhoon24 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:37 pm

I blanked out on the NYU phone call for about 10 seconds. The guy asked "hello ?" three times before I gave him a muttered reply of "....this is great. Thanks"

User avatar
OliveBC
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:41 am

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby OliveBC » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:51 pm

I got my first two acceptances the same day, the first was Georgetown- I found the envelope in the mail and opened it on the elevator up to my apartment. I was teary eyed already when I walked in the door and my sister was sitting at the kitchen table. I started crying as soon as I showed the letter to her. Then called my mom/dad etc.

A few hours later I got an email from Duke congratulating me on my acceptance but I wasn't paying attention and assumed it was Georgetown following up. It took me a good 5 seconds to realize it was "DUKE class of 2017" and then I started laughing/crying again and called my parents crying for the second time that day :lol:

I also cried when I got the call from Virginia and I'm pretty sure I was like "OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!" and the lady calling was like "This is the best part of my job, I love making these calls" and I was like YEAH GIRL and we bonded.

Basically I'm just a big cry baby...I've probably shed at least 1 tear for every acceptance so far except maybe the safeties.

Currently crossing my fingers and preparing my tissues since I had my Cornell interview this past friday!!

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby 04102014 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:54 pm

OliveBC wrote:I got my first two acceptances the same day, the first was Georgetown- I found the envelope in the mail and opened it on the elevator up to my apartment. I was teary eyed already when I walked in the door and my sister was sitting at the kitchen table. I started crying as soon as I showed the letter to her. Then called my mom/dad etc.

A few hours later I got an email from Duke congratulating me on my acceptance but I wasn't paying attention and assumed it was Georgetown following up. It took me a good 5 seconds to realize it was "DUKE class of 2017" and then I started laughing/crying again and called my parents crying for the second time that day :lol:

I also cried when I got the call from Virginia and I'm pretty sure I was like "OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!" and the lady calling was like "This is the best part of my job, I love making these calls" and I was like YEAH GIRL and we bonded.

Basically I'm just a big cry baby...I've probably shed at least 1 tear for every acceptance so far except maybe the safeties.

Currently crossing my fingers and preparing my tissues since I had my Cornell interview this past friday!!


<3

User avatar
selden
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby selden » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:02 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:I blanked out on the NYU phone call for about 10 seconds. The guy asked "hello ?" three times before I gave him a muttered reply of "....this is great. Thanks"


The guy was probably like oh boy, we got another fainter. Hopefully this one didn't hit their head on the way down.

FluffMonster
Posts: 2205
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby FluffMonster » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:04 pm

selden wrote:For some reason, I haven't really been that pumped about any of my acceptances, despite getting into one of my dream schools. I have no idea why. I see the email and am like oh, cool. Then I basically just text a person or two, and they're always way happier than me. And that's it. I think it's just not real enough yet for me to really be excited. I really don't understand the contradiction between being so angsty waiting to hear that I can't sleep and not feeling much at all when I do.


This is exactly how I react. It makes me feel kind of guilty, like someone else wants it/deserves it more. I think the fact that I'm moving on to a new chapter in life hasn't sunk in yet.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby drawstring » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:11 pm

So far I haven't been too excited by my acceptances, but I think that's because I'm HYS or bust and I've been shut out from there so far. I imagine this would be me after an HYS call:

Image

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby smaug_ » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:20 pm

I really want to make fun of you 0Ls and say something like "print out your post, put it in a drawer and look at it again when you're a 2L/3L" but I too remember the joys of getting in.

Our year had the infamous "Voldemort" trick for checking your status at NYU. I remember literally jumping through my apartment. All I could think of was this:

Image

(I'm pretty sure I started humming the song, too.)

(I was a fool.)

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby drawstring » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:24 pm

Our year had the infamous "Voldemort" trick for checking your status at NYU.


Please explain :D

User avatar
selden
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Re: How did you react when you got in?

Postby selden » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Jules239 wrote:
selden wrote:For some reason, I haven't really been that pumped about any of my acceptances, despite getting into one of my dream schools. I have no idea why. I see the email and am like oh, cool. Then I basically just text a person or two, and they're always way happier than me. And that's it. I think it's just not real enough yet for me to really be excited. I really don't understand the contradiction between being so angsty waiting to hear that I can't sleep and not feeling much at all when I do.


This is exactly how I react. It makes me feel kind of guilty, like someone else wants it/deserves it more. I think the fact that I'm moving on to a new chapter in life hasn't sunk in yet.


I'm glad I'm not the only one. And I think you're right about why. It just does not feel like in seven or eight months I'll be living in a new country and attending law school.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, amberb94, Bob loblaw law blog, criley01, genjustice, Google Adsense [Bot], guybourdin, JazzyMac and 23 guests