Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TheYesGuy

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby TheYesGuy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:24 pm

Does retaking a decently high score actually have an effect?
Last edited by TheYesGuy on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:26 pm

Enjoy Harvard?

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:31 pm

as my mom would put it, you are too good for (him)UCLA. you deserve better. and (he) UCLA knows it so (he) UCLA is afraid to approach or bend over for you. because that will make (him) UCLA look like shit by pointing out the obvious (you won't go anyways).

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:48 pm

I'm kinda shocked to see how douche-y some of the other comments were/are.

UCLA only has so many seats for applicants with numbers like yours. they have X many above both median seats, X many below both median seats, X many above one median seats.

As far as USNWR goes, your numbers are only as good to UCLA as a 167/3.8.

Its reasonable to consider the possibility that they don't like you enough to pay the price tag you would require.

NanaP wrote:Welcome to TLS....The land of douches

meh

Optimist Prime

Postby Optimist Prime » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Last edited by Optimist Prime on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimbeam21

Postby jimbeam21 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:00 pm

There are a million reasons. Last year, there was a guy who was rejected by Columbia, Chicago, and Harvard (traditionally numbers oriented schools) despite having a 178, 3.8+ and applying in September. My guess is that there was something off-putting about his application/recommendations, or schools saw the million posts he had on TLS.

For example, bad typos, or a bad recommendation, might sink you. I'd double check your apps for typos again. I wouldn't worry about it for now though unless you don't get into Columbia/NYU, which you should based on numbers.

EquallyWrong

Postby EquallyWrong » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:20 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:
NanaP wrote:Welcome to TLS....The land of douches people who expect you to have done basic research before posting

+1
Making your own personal YP post can only get you two answers: either you were above their range so good for you fancy boy or you must be some kind of jerk. You shouldn't be surprised that you got a little of both given that someone having to forgo their safety school in favor of better options doesn't exactly cry out for sympathy here.
It would have been different if you had your heart ripped out by your dream school, then someone taking easy shots at you might be a genuine douche. I don't think people were being douchey so much as not humoring your vanity topic.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:08 pm

At the risk of sounding like a shitboomer, I do think there's something of a sense of entitlement among a lot of applicants. The fact that you have LSAT x and GPA y provides no guarantees, nor should it.

OP can call posters in this thread douchey, but the initial post straight-up oozed entitlement, and 90% of those responding picked up on this. Some applicants underperform their numbers, and OP could very well fall in that category.

Of course, this is probably just a textbook case of YP with an emotionally immature reaction.

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:17 pm

JSWright101 wrote:the Dean of the Honor's College

EquallyWrong

Postby EquallyWrong » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:25 pm

cron1834 wrote:At the risk of sounding like a shitboomer, I do think there's something of a sense of entitlement among a lot of applicants. The fact that you have LSAT x and GPA y provides no guarantees, nor should it.

OP can call posters in this thread douchey, but the initial post straight-up oozed entitlement, and 90% of those responding picked up on this. Some applicants underperform their numbers, and OP could very well fall in that category.

Of course, this is probably just a textbook case of YP with an emotionally immature reaction.

I don't think a sense of personal/millennial entitlement enters into it here seeing as there is a whole suite of predictors out there that draw on lots of data to let you know if you are close to a sure thing. Look, there is no perfect formula to get 100 percent approval outside of having the power of Gulag. You are always going to look, as one example, either too entitled or too fawning to somebody out there, boomers in particular are ready to cite entitlement issues in anyone who doesn't style themselves off a protagonist from Horatio Alger. The OP sounded like an uptight dork who cared too much about what other people thought of him (hello "Honors College" kids) and, lo and behold, apparently anyone who isn't nice about his UCLA wait listing is a douche. If we're talking entitlement, it's not from the numbers, it's from the idea that nobody has the right to find him annoying. Give UCLA the finger and move on, they didn't take the bait and that's their prerogative, same goes for people responding to you on TLS.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:33 pm

did you complete the extra par of 'why ucla'?

TigerDude

Postby TigerDude » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:37 pm

Yield protection, plus Berkley & Stanford will be better options for you.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:02 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:
cron1834 wrote:At the risk of sounding like a shitboomer, I do think there's something of a sense of entitlement among a lot of applicants. The fact that you have LSAT x and GPA y provides no guarantees, nor should it.

I don't think a sense of personal/millennial entitlement enters into it here seeing as there is a whole suite of predictors out there that draw on lots of data to let you know if you are close to a sure thing. Look, there is no perfect formula to get 100 percent approval outside of having the power of Gulag. You are always going to look, as one example, either too entitled or too fawning to somebody out there, boomers in particular are ready to cite entitlement issues in anyone who doesn't style themselves off a protagonist from Horatio Alger. The OP sounded like an uptight dork who cared too much about what other people thought of him (hello "Honors College" kids) and, lo and behold, apparently anyone who isn't nice about his UCLA wait listing is a douche. If we're talking entitlement, it's not from the numbers, it's from the idea that nobody has the right to find him annoying. Give UCLA the finger and move on, they didn't take the bait and that's their prerogative, same goes for people responding to you on TLS.

I don't think we're really disagreeing here.

wob

Postby wob » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:32 pm

Just use this as motivation... "You'll see, LA."

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:29 pm

wob wrote:Just use this as motivation... "You'll see, LA."

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”