Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Wiggly
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:19 pm

Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby Wiggly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:36 pm

...
Last edited by Wiggly on Fri May 23, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FriendCatcher
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:29 pm

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby FriendCatcher » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:39 pm

It is indeed an important question

User avatar
Magical Trevor
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 pm

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby Magical Trevor » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:39 pm

YP

chizzy
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:07 am

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby chizzy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:42 pm

Magical Trevor wrote:YP


+1 they probably saw you as a strong candidate and believed you will choose a higher ranked school

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby 03152016 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:43 pm

Magical Trevor wrote:YP

http://mylsn.info/dispresults.php?sk=aqzgpu&school=ucla
Not really seeing evidence of YP, but maybe a lot of people are getting in off of WL? (looking through, thinking that's not the case)

OP, if you really want to pursue UCLA, write a LOCI. Unless there's something we don't know, you'll have plenty of options.

daleearnhardt123
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:56 pm

Are you from anywhere near LA? If not, that would go towards explaining the YP.

Max324 wrote:
Magical Trevor wrote:YP

http://mylsn.info/dispresults.php?sk=aqzgpu&school=ucla
Not really seeing evidence of YP, but maybe a lot of people are getting in off of WL? (looking through, thinking that's not the case)

OP, if you really want to pursue UCLA, write a LOCI. Unless there's something we don't know, you'll have plenty of options.


I would venture a guess that these people are Californians. What non-Californian with those stats applies to UCLA?

User avatar
Sirs_LMNOPQRS
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:02 pm

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby Sirs_LMNOPQRS » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:06 am

Sometimes when people write LOCI after getting YP'd, they get full ride offers. You just need to convince them that you really will go there.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby 03152016 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 am

daleearnhardt123 wrote:Are you from anywhere near LA? If not, that would go towards explaining the YP.

Max324 wrote:
Magical Trevor wrote:YP

http://mylsn.info/dispresults.php?sk=aqzgpu&school=ucla
Not really seeing evidence of YP, but maybe a lot of people are getting in off of WL? (looking through, thinking that's not the case)

OP, if you really want to pursue UCLA, write a LOCI. Unless there's something we don't know, you'll have plenty of options.


I would venture a guess that these people are Californians. What non-Californian with those stats applies to UCLA?

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/LysandersLament
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/TripTrip
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/sash
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/gogojojo

These guys apparently. Who knows, maybe they have ties. But it looks like the first two guys were throwing out apps everywhere to see where they could get $$$.

chizzy
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:07 am

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby chizzy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:29 am

Sirs_LMNOPQRS wrote:Sometimes when people write LOCI after getting YP'd, they get full ride offers. You just need to convince them that you really will go there.


I dont think OP wants to really go there. i think OP just wants to use UCLA to negotiate scholly $$$

Wiggly
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:19 pm

...

Postby Wiggly » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:40 am

...
Last edited by Wiggly on Sun May 25, 2014 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bombaysippin
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby bombaysippin » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:44 am

JSWright101 wrote:Pardon, what does 'YP' stand for? Sorry, again, I'm new to posting.

I live on the east coast now but I wouldn't necessarily be against moving to Cali: I grew up in WA state and my family originally is from the bay area so it's actually closer to certain things for me. I'm not planning to not go to UCLA - I wanted to results from apps to help me make the decision. UCLA with a lot of $ though was one option I was considering.


Yield Protection.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby 03152016 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:53 am

JSWright101 wrote:Pardon, what does 'YP' stand for? Sorry, again, I'm new to posting.

I live on the east coast now but I wouldn't necessarily be against moving to Cali: I grew up in WA state and my family originally is from the bay area so it's actually closer to certain things for me. I'm not planning to not go to UCLA - I wanted to results from apps to help me make the decision. UCLA with a lot of $ though was one option I was considering.

Some schools reject/WL candidates that they think aren't likely to attend. That's yield protection, or YP.

If you want to keep the option on the table, write a LOCI. http://www.top-law-schools.com/appendixf.html

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby BigZuck » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:21 am

Enjoy Harvard

angelshare
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby angelshare » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:22 am

I heard by my professor that UCLA is kinda known to readily use YP to boost their US News Rank, I sort of see this as USC and UCLA are very similar in quality and employment...

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1918
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby cron1834 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:13 am

You're well overqualified for UCLA. They don't expect you to attend, and they can boost their selectivity by WL--> Rejecting.

Do the math.

ETA - haven't you ever been overqualified for a job before? Would Taco Bell hire you to run a till? You come across as a clueless K-JD. It actually wouldn't shock me if your PS was off-putting.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby Clearly » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:31 am

I find it hysterical that you ask about YP at the same time you concede you wouldn't actually attend. That's exactly the point.

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby EquallyWrong » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:14 am

admissions people know when they're being used
either as an unlikely safety or a bargaining chip,
the numbers give the game away.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby Nova » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:40 am

maybe they just don't like you

User avatar
hippo-hapatamus
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:10 am

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby hippo-hapatamus » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:30 am

Nova wrote:maybe they just don't like you



b-but he's good enough, he's smart enough...

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby phillywc » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:14 am

Nova wrote:maybe they just don't like you

Honestly if OP came across in his PS like they did here, I wouldn't like them either.

User avatar
JWP1022
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby JWP1022 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:32 am

Poast PS to prove it is good

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby phillywc » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:33 am

JWP1022 wrote:Poast PS to prove it is good

This is a good idea, we can help you.

Wiggly
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby Wiggly » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:47 pm

...
Last edited by Wiggly on Fri May 23, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NanaP
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby NanaP » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:02 pm

Welcome to TLS....The land of douches

mx23250
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Re: Why was I waitlisted at UCLA??

Postby mx23250 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:18 pm

Easy answer. You were wait listed because you took the TLS advice of "retake". Retaking the LSAT after scoring a 169 while also having a 4.05 indicates you're clearly not aiming for UCLA since a 4.05/169 should easily get into UCLA, likely with a free ride or very close to it. By retaking until you got a 174, it indicated you were aiming for not only a T14, but probably HYS. If you had gotten a 174 on your first LSAT exam, they may have accepted you, but retaking it indicated you were looking for better options. A LOCI showing strong interest should get you in though.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Kaziende and 3 guests