Syracuse c/o 2017 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
joropeza

New

Syracuse c/o 2017 Applicants

Post by joropeza » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:02 pm

In as of 1/3.

One of my top contenders.

Anyone else heard back? Schollies?

upstateboy

New

Re: Syracuse c/o 2017 Applicants

Post by upstateboy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:59 pm

Yeah I heard back about 3 weeks ago. I got 33k a year on the condition I maintain a GPA above a 2.8.

joropeza

New

Post by joropeza » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:51 pm

upstateboy wrote:Yeah I heard back about 3 weeks ago. I got 33k a year on the condition I maintain a GPA above a 2.8.
Same.

I just heard back from Dozo. Shame, I was looking forward to visiting the SU campus in April.

michelleeverson

New

Post by michelleeverson » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:30 pm

joropeza wrote:
upstateboy wrote:Yeah I heard back about 3 weeks ago. I got 33k a year on the condition I maintain a GPA above a 2.8.
Same.

I just heard back from Dozo. Shame, I was looking forward to visiting the SU campus in April.
Would y'all mind PMing me your stats? I'm in that full-on anxiety mode and just stalking all of the acceptances at schools I'm waiting to hear back from. I'm fiending for comparison! :lol:

patfeeney

Bronze

Post by patfeeney » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:59 pm

Accepted and visited in early January.

Must say, I was not impressed. The new building looks a lot more ...fecal in person. The professor of the property law class I sat in was downright rude and embarrassed me in front of a whole class of 1Ls. On top of that, the students were totally disengaged and I was able to answer some of the professor's questions before anyone else could, despite not having read the cases.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rduffy5

New

Post by rduffy5 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:28 pm

patfeeney wrote:Accepted and visited in early January.

Must say, I was not impressed. The new building looks a lot more ...fecal in person.

In what way does the new building look like poop? Seriously though. And why would someone with a 174 and a 3.6 visit Syracuse, let alone apply there?

patfeeney

Bronze

Post by patfeeney » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:41 pm

rduffy5 wrote:
patfeeney wrote:Accepted and visited in early January.

Must say, I was not impressed. The new building looks a lot more ...fecal in person.

In what way does the new building look like poop? Seriously though. And why would someone with a 174 and a 3.6 visit Syracuse, let alone apply there?
Because I live 10 minutes from the school and it would be the most financially feasible choice for me, given my top choices fail.

Also, the new building kind of looks like poop for several reasons. One, Syracuse weather tends to be very gray, so the color of the building becomes muddled. It's wedged between a parking garage, a parking lot, and the Carrier Dome, which are all very big, very gray, and very ugly buildings. There are very few windows, save for a couple wide panels. On top of that, it's incredibly blocky. It tries to go for a modern look but it doesn't pull it off. I just wouldn't want to spend three years of my life in that building.

michelleeverson

New

Post by michelleeverson » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:51 pm

In via status checker! Did everyone's scholarship information come in an e-mail or their acceptance letter?

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:27 am

I applied I am looking at JD/MA in econ or IR.

Spoke to an alumnus who was getting 130k 1st year out. She said a lot of the students at syracuse are stupid/dont know anything about getting a job. She said while the employment stats aren't great, if you are truly focused on getting a job in the city, you can atleast get an intereview.

Granted, she looks like a model so that helps, but I believe it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

michelleeverson

New

Post by michelleeverson » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:36 pm

Received the Trustee's Scholarship, full tuition, with my admissions packet. I couldn't be more excited! It's narrowed my top two choices to include Syracuse.

Mr Cooper

New

Post by Mr Cooper » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:45 pm

I'm pretty wary of their $33k/year scholarship. Going by their COA spreadsheet:

- Tuition is $44k. So that's $11,000 x 3 = $33,000
- Mandatory Health and Resource fees are about $2,000/year = $6,000
- Books are probably $1400/year (low estimate) = $4200
- Housing and meals, (low estimate, not living in Campus West apartments) would be $7000/year = $21000

So the total cost at this point is $64200.

- Interest on Direct Unsubsidized loans is 5.4%, so that's an additional = $3,466
- Barbri Bar Exam prep is an additional $3,000

So by the time you're sitting for the bar you're still looking at $70,000 in debt with low-end estimates and not factoring in indirect costs like gas, booze, and clothes...And this is with a scholarship that covers 3/4 tuition. Not worth it to me without already having job ties considering according to LST Syracuse has a 45% employment rate.

Newb2law

New

Post by Newb2law » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:56 pm

are they still giving out shirts to all the people who were admitted?

MassiveSplit

New

Post by MassiveSplit » Sat May 03, 2014 6:39 pm

Newb2law wrote:are they still giving out shirts to all the people who were admitted?
Yes.

Negotiating for a bump in my scholarship. Was offered 20k/year but is just not nearly enough to justify COA. Anyone had success?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr Cooper

New

Post by Mr Cooper » Mon May 05, 2014 1:52 pm

MassiveSplit wrote:
Newb2law wrote:are they still giving out shirts to all the people who were admitted?
Yes.

Negotiating for a bump in my scholarship. Was offered 20k/year but is just not nearly enough to justify COA. Anyone had success?
From what I've heard, you're more likely to get a bump in grant money than scholarship money, but it will be minimal. Syracuse is severely contracting its class size (which can be read about here http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2014/01/15/dra ... hool-says/). There isn't going to be as much money to throw around at students who are already receiving some form of assistance.

The offer you received from SUCOL is going to be your best case scenario (when you factor in losing scholarships w/ stipulations and annual tuition increases). The school gives you essentially a 50/50 shot at becoming a lawyer, and doesn't place to well in high paying markets. My number for SU would be to not take above $50,000 in debt (after interest and bar prep).

MassiveSplit

New

Post by MassiveSplit » Mon May 05, 2014 10:11 pm

Anyone considering Cuse for the sole reason of a potential dual degree? Am I out of my mind?

Admissions hasn't given me much about how their JD/MBA students do after graduation.

Mr Cooper

New

Post by Mr Cooper » Wed May 07, 2014 11:34 am

MassiveSplit wrote:Anyone considering Cuse for the sole reason of a potential dual degree? Am I out of my mind?

Admissions hasn't given me much about how their JD/MBA students do after graduation.
Go to LS if you want to be a lawyer. Get an MBA if you want to be in business after having a few years of WE and your company will contribute to it.

MassiveSplit

New

Post by MassiveSplit » Wed May 07, 2014 5:37 pm

Mr Cooper wrote:
MassiveSplit wrote:Anyone considering Cuse for the sole reason of a potential dual degree? Am I out of my mind?

Go to LS if you want to be a lawyer. Get an MBA if you want to be in business after having a few years of WE and your company will contribute to it.
Four years for both programs and Cuse pays for it. Is the answer still no? It cannot benefit me to get into in house counsel or finance law?

Also, they did up my scholarship and removed the stipulations.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

iloveturtles

New

Post by iloveturtles » Thu May 08, 2014 7:03 pm

I'm waitlisted. So sad. :cry:

MassiveSplit

New

Post by MassiveSplit » Thu May 08, 2014 7:30 pm

iloveturtles wrote:I'm waitlisted. So sad. :cry:
I may withdraw in the next few days. Trying to make a final decision of Syracuse vs. improving LSAT.

Will update you on the thread!

iloveturtles

New

Post by iloveturtles » Tue May 13, 2014 2:24 pm

MassiveSplit wrote:
I may withdraw in the next few days. Trying to make a final decision of Syracuse vs. improving LSAT.

Any updates? I'm still waitlisted. :|

MassiveSplit

New

Post by MassiveSplit » Tue May 13, 2014 5:53 pm

iloveturtles wrote:
MassiveSplit wrote:

Withdrew yesterday. Good luck!

Mr Cooper

New

Post by Mr Cooper » Fri May 16, 2014 9:24 pm

iloveturtles wrote:
MassiveSplit wrote:

If you're getting into SUCOL off the waitlist, you're not going to get much money thrown your way. If you're taking out loans, pass on Syracuse. It's not worth 150k in debt. The odds of you getting a legal job out of Syracuse aren't great, and the odds of you getting a legal job that would justify that level of debt are slim to none (I'm talking about 5% at most). I really hope you're not willing to gamble your entire life on something that is 95% likely to not happen.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”