Part-time waitlists

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
collegebum1989

Part-time waitlists

Postby collegebum1989 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:25 pm

How do wait-lists for PT programs compare to FT programs?

Are they still based on one's numbers or do they consider your ability to balance your job with the program? Ex. pulling in a locally-located candidate with lower numbers over a candidate with higher numbers that needs to relocate.

I'm specifically interested in GULC's PT program. I applied last year and was placed on the priority WL and denied in July. Back then, I was abroad on a fellowship and didn't have a full-time job.

I reapplied this year with a full-time job in DC with a higher LSAT score (3 points) and was still placed on the same waitlist. Any advice on getting off it this time around?

mraemorris

Re: Part-time waitlists

Postby mraemorris » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:53 pm

collegebum1989 wrote:How do wait-lists for PT programs compare to FT programs?

Are they still based on one's numbers or do they consider your ability to balance your job with the program? Ex. pulling in a locally-located candidate with lower numbers over a candidate with higher numbers that needs to relocate.

I'm specifically interested in GULC's PT program. I applied last year and was placed on the priority WL and denied in July. Back then, I was abroad on a fellowship and didn't have a full-time job.

I reapplied this year with a full-time job in DC with a higher LSAT score (3 points) and was still placed on the same waitlist. Any advice on getting off it this time around?

I can't answer your question (sorry), but I'm in a similar situation and you're the only one I've seen here talking about GULC PT. What was your timeline/percentiles, if you don't mind me asking? I applied 1/6 and have had two completes, but haven't heard anything. <50% GPA, 75% LSAT (for FT, but I only applied PT).

collegebum1989

Postby collegebum1989 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:11 am

My numbers are low for GULC (below 25th GPA, median LSAT for PT program), strong softs.

Your numbers look good. I applied around the same time you did last time and heard back in late February. You have a good shot, but it also looks like work experience, location and current job are important factors for the PT program. Another PT GULC student mentioned that other students had low GPAs/low LSATs so it seems numbers are less important than work experience.

mraemorris

Postby mraemorris » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:15 am

collegebum1989 wrote:My numbers are low for GULC (below 25th GPA, median LSAT for PT program), strong softs.

Your numbers look good. I applied around the same time you did last time and heard back in late February. You have a good shot, but it also looks like work experience, location and current job are important factors for the PT program. Another PT GULC student mentioned that other students had low GPAs/low LSATs so it seems numbers are less important than work experience.

Great info, thanks! Good luck!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”