Why do school's hold applications?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Strongfaithgirl

Why do school's hold applications?

Postby Strongfaithgirl » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:42 pm

I submitted applications and went complete to certain school's way back in November, however I see that some students have received decisions that went complete well after me. Any explanation as to why school's do this? I am wondering why my file is being held from making a decision on. It was my assumption that decisions are made as apps go complete.

guano

Re: Why do school's hold applications?

Postby guano » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:44 pm

they're taking a wait and see approach - they want to see how many admitted students actually deposit before letting you know.

It means you're borderline, and they're not ready to decide one way or the other... not quite good enough to get in, not quite bad enough to be rejected

Babum

Postby Babum » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:47 pm

Guano, I think he means a delayed decision rather than an actual Hold.

OP, they delay your decision because they are just not ready to make it yet. Maybe they want to have a better idea about the whole class, maybe your score is lower than their median, maybe they are trying to understand your application better.

EDIT: Sorry I just realized you are a girl :lol:
Last edited by Babum on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guano

Postby guano » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Babum wrote:Guano, I think he means a delayed decision rather than an actual Hold.

OP, they delay your decision because they are just not ready to make it yet. Maybe they want to have a better idea about the whole class, maybe your score is lower than their median, maybe they are trying to understand your application better.

Same answer. despite applying in November, during my cycle two schools did not get back to me until May. I was just below borderline numbers wise but had great softs

Strongfaithgirl

Postby Strongfaithgirl » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Oh ok so I can be waiting quite a bit longer, I imagine. I thought school's just waitlist you when they want to wait and see. Perhaps this is their way of doing that w/o officially placing me on the waitlist. Maybe this way is better and their still is a chance that I can be admitted directly. Is April/May a good time to expect some sort of decision? Isn't that when 1st deposits are generally due?

Strongfaithgirl

Postby Strongfaithgirl » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:53 pm

guano wrote:
Babum wrote:Guano, I think he means a delayed decision rather than an actual Hold.

Same answer. despite applying in November, during my cycle two schools did not get back to me until May. I was just below borderline numbers wise but had great softs

Did those school's admit you? Geez May is such a long time

Strongfaithgirl

Postby Strongfaithgirl » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:53 pm

EDIT: Sorry I just realized you are a girl :lol:

Lol no problem. Mistakes happen. Thanks for your feedback

MrMileyCyrus

Postby MrMileyCyrus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:54 pm

Another reason for delayed decisions is yield protection. Certain schools want to feel more confident that you are likely to actually attend if accepted, so they wait and see the bigger context before getting back to you.

SparkyZZZ

Postby SparkyZZZ » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:57 pm

Strongfaithgirl wrote:Oh ok so I can be waiting quite a bit longer, I imagine. I thought school's just waitlist you when they want to wait and see. Perhaps this is their way of doing that w/o officially placing me on the waitlist. Maybe this way is better and their still is a chance that I can be admitted directly. Is April/May a good time to expect some sort of decision? Isn't that when 1st deposits are generally due?

Well, the thing is...you can still be waitlisted off of the hold list. I was sifting through last year's Georgetown thread, and a lot of "held" applicants were eventually waitlisted.

Just in the G'town sample I would say the results of the held applicants are as follows (from largest to smallest):

Waitlisted
Rejected
Accepted

guano

Postby guano » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:08 pm

Strongfaithgirl wrote:
guano wrote:

one ding, one waitlist -> accepted at the end of august

emitremmus

Postby emitremmus » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:36 pm

guano wrote:
Strongfaithgirl wrote:
guano wrote:

one ding, one waitlist -> accepted at the end of august

What did you do about the first acceptance deposit and did you ultimately attend the school with the late decision or the school that you deposited with in April?

Dingo Starr

Postby Dingo Starr » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:51 pm

Maybe it has to do with perpetual punctuation errors.

guano

Postby guano » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:27 pm

emitremmus wrote:
guano wrote:one ding, one waitlist -> accepted at the end of august

What did you do about the first acceptance deposit and did you ultimately attend the school with the late decision or the school that you deposited with in April?

I wasn't going to pay sticker, considering my other options at the time - and was in the middle of orientation

kek5250

Postby kek5250 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:42 pm

did you spell check your Personal Statement before sending them to "schools"?

guano

Postby guano » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:11 am

kek5250 wrote:did you spell check your Personal Statement before sending them to "schools"?

don't you mean "school's"?

JazzieShizzle

Postby JazzieShizzle » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:34 am

kek5250 wrote:did you spell check your Personal Statement before sending them to "schools"?

Nothing bothers me more than a misplaced apostrophe, so I appreciate that you pointed it out. However, I can't let it slide that you used a plural pronoun to refer to a singular subject.

August Wilson

Postby August Wilson » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:43 am

JazzieShizzle wrote:

Nothing bothers me more than a misplaced apostrophe, so I appreciate that you pointed it out. However, I can't let it slide that you used a plural pronoun to refer to a singular subject.

:lol:

kek5250

Postby kek5250 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:30 pm

August Wilson wrote:
JazzieShizzle wrote:

hahahahahaha #inopportunetypo

emitremmus

Postby emitremmus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:29 pm

August Wilson wrote:
JazzieShizzle wrote:

While you're at it, capitalize the "D."

follywood

Postby follywood » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:06 pm

emitremmus wrote:
August Wilson wrote:
JazzieShizzle wrote:

While you're at it, capitalize the "D."

Why stop there? Let's hyphenate (or unify) "spell" and "check."

Hipster but Athletic

Postby Hipster but Athletic » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:11 pm

And "your" isn't a word. Its "you're."

kek5250

Postby kek5250 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:16 pm

Hipster but Athletic wrote:And "your" isn't a word. Its "you're."

....?

kartelite

Postby kartelite » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:06 am

Hipster but Athletic wrote:And "your" isn't a word. Its "you're."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/your

Dingo Starr

Postby Dingo Starr » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:49 pm

Dingo Starr wrote:Maybe it has to do with perpetual punctuation errors.

Y'all are quick with it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”