Waitlists

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chingwoo

Waitlists

Postby chingwoo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:09 pm

Is there a proper way to let adcomms know that I won't attend if I don't receive a full tuition scholarship? I have been waitlisted at some places, and I'm not sure if they were YP waitlists or by merit waitlist(I have a sub-3 gpa). I just don't want to take another applicants spot as I consider my options.

PattyCake

Re: Waitlists

Postby PattyCake » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:20 pm

chingwoo wrote:Is there a proper way to let adcomms know that I won't attend if I don't receive a full tuition scholarship? I have been waitlisted at some places, and I'm not sure if they were YP waitlists or by merit waitlist(I have a sub-3 gpa). I just don't want to take another applicants spot as I consider my options.

I wouldn't ask for scholarship $ at a school that WL'd you. Just ride it out as long as you can. You might have to suck it up and lose a deposit if you really want to go there. Honestly though, I wouldn't count on a ridiculous scholarship (especially a full one) if you were WL'd, unless you're planning to retake the LSAT and you think your score will go up a lot. Usually scholarship funding is severely depleted by the time the priority deadline passes and you have to make a deposit somewhere.

Attax

Postby Attax » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:21 pm

PattyCake wrote:
chingwoo wrote:Is there a proper way to let adcomms know that I won't attend if I don't receive a full tuition scholarship? I have been waitlisted at some places, and I'm not sure if they were YP waitlists or by merit waitlist(I have a sub-3 gpa). I just don't want to take another applicants spot as I consider my options.

I wouldn't ask for scholarship $ at a school that WL'd you. Just ride it out as long as you can. You might have to suck it up and lose a deposit if you really want to go there. Honestly though, I wouldn't count on a ridiculous scholarship (especially a full one) if you were WL'd, unless you're planning to retake the LSAT and you think your score will go up a lot. Usually scholarship funding is severely depleted by the time the priority deadline passes and you have to make a deposit somewhere.

Well, I understand ching's concern. I got WL at places with a median of around 160, yet I scored 168. I think it is YP, so how do I contact them letting them know I'm interested, but would need $ to consider it?

chingwoo

Postby chingwoo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:41 pm

PattyCake wrote:

These aren't schools that I'd go to at sticker. I'm in at similar or better regionals with $$$ so I would need similar for them to be competitive.

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:42 pm

Attax wrote:
PattyCake wrote:

Well, I understand ching's concern. I got WL at places with a median of around 160, yet I scored 168. I think it is YP, so how do I contact them letting them know I'm interested, but would need $ to consider it?

Oh, I see what you mean. I would send a LOCI stating strongly that X University is one of your top choices (or your top choice, if that's true). You MIGHT (and I'm not saying to definitely do this) find a way to mention that you have not yet accepted any of the generous scholarship offers you've been made, etc. etc., because you are just waiting desperately to hear back from them. Honestly, if it's YP all you should really have to do is convince them you're not going to turn them down if they offer you a spot. Just keep that in mind and be polite, you should be fine. If it's merit-based though, that might not help you as much. LOCI never hurt as long as they're polite, but I would steer away from actually stating that you need a full ride or else you're not going. If you really are a YP WL candidate, then might just get a massive (and/or negotiable) offer if and when you come off the list after sending your LOCI. If you're not a YP candidate (if it's because you have a so-so GPA), then you'll basically be giving them a reason not to admit you because there's very little chance they'd offer you a full ride anyway.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”