Should I be concerned?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Arrow4Christ

Should I be concerned?

Postby Arrow4Christ » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:00 am

Today I got my first decision of the 2013-14 cycle: Priority Reserve list from Duke off the Priority Track. I didn't submit a "Why Duke" essay, but with >75 LSAT and GPA I assumed Duke would be a pretty safe bet, but I guess not. Does this bode poorly for the rest of my admissions cycle?
Last edited by Arrow4Christ on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

papercut

Re: Should I be concerned?

Postby papercut » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:03 am

This is standard Duke response to PT app without Why Duke essay. Search for previous posts on the same topic and you'll see.

Send a Why Duke essay to get some movement on your app.

This cycle will still be pretty soft overall for the T14. Enjoy. :D

Slytherpuff

Postby Slytherpuff » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:33 am

I would guess YP with your numbers - I'm sure you'll be fine with many other T14 schools! You should definitely consider sending a Why Duke essay at this point, but contrary to popular belief Duke doesn't automatically put you on PR if you don't submit one with your app.

Just to check though - do you have C&F issues, mediocre LORs, or exceptionally bad softs? Since otherwise I'm sure you'll get some amazing acceptances this cycle.

Arrow4Christ

Postby Arrow4Christ » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:38 am

fkt18 wrote:I would guess YP with your numbers - I'm sure you'll be fine with many other T14 schools! You should definitely consider sending a Why Duke essay at this point, but contrary to popular belief Duke doesn't automatically put you on PR if you don't submit one with your app.

Just to check though - do you have C&F issues, mediocre LORs, or exceptionally bad softs? Since otherwise I'm sure you'll get some amazing acceptances this cycle.

No C&F issues and I believe my LORs are quite good. My softs are average to below average, but not exceptionally bad.
Last edited by Arrow4Christ on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

papercut

Postby papercut » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:40 am

fkt18 wrote:I would guess YP with your numbers - I'm sure you'll be fine with many other T14 schools! You should definitely consider sending a Why Duke essay at this point, but contrary to popular belief Duke doesn't automatically put you on PR if you don't submit one with your app.

There's almost no such thing as automatic anything in admissions, but this is definitely pretty standard.

Slytherpuff

Postby Slytherpuff » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:46 am

I wouldn't get worried about Priority Reserve about Duke then - just relax and wait for some action at the other schools you've applied to! Consider sending in a Why Duke, and otherwise HYS will probably be very interested in you. :D

Papercut - if you look at this cycle's admits, you can find a good number of people who got in without a Why Duke essay (myself included).

Arrow4Christ

Postby Arrow4Christ » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:49 am

Thanks! Forgot to mention my LSAT is a retake.
Last edited by Arrow4Christ on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

riverwater

Postby riverwater » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:57 am

Last edited by riverwater on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:04 am

YP

papercut

Postby papercut » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:06 am

fkt18 wrote:I wouldn't get worried about Priority Reserve about Duke then - just relax and wait for some action at the other schools you've applied to! Consider sending in a Why Duke, and otherwise HYS will probably be very interested in you. :D

Papercut - if you look at this cycle's admits, you can find a good number of people who got in without a Why Duke essay (myself included).

I'm not saying it's a sure thing that you get on reserve without a Why Duke, so a few counter examples don't mean anything. Search the past posts about this topic and you'll see there's definitely a trend.

papercut

Postby papercut » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:09 am

fkt18 wrote:I wouldn't get worried about Priority Reserve about Duke then - just relax and wait for some action at the other schools you've applied to! Consider sending in a Why Duke, and otherwise HYS will probably be very interested in you. :D

Also, OP's numbers are much better than yours. He'll have several better options than Duke, so YP in his case makes more sense than in yours.

a.sleepyhead

Postby a.sleepyhead » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:24 am

Wow, this thread is hella feisty.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”