C/O 2017's Goals

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hollermahler

C/O 2017's Goals

Postby hollermahler » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi! So I thought it would be fun to compile a bit of information on TLS since I'm sure we have such a wide range of backgrounds. Feel free to provide as much as or as little detail as you would like (or add different prompts!). I'll update this thread with my own goals as well :D.
(Admins, feel free to move this thread if you don't think it fits here)

Law school you hope/plan to attend:
What you're doing now:
Plans between now and starting law school (bucket list? practical matters to attend to?):
What you hope to do 5 years from now:
What you hope to do 20 years from now:

hollermahler

Re: C/O 2017's Goals

Postby hollermahler » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:45 pm

Law school you hope/plan to attend: Berkeley
What you're doing now: working at a non-profit. Before I was abroad working for an NGO.
Plans between now and starting law school (bucket list? practical matters to attend to?): learn(ing) how to drive (yes, I know it's long overdue!), finding easy recipes to cook
What you hope to do 5/20 years from now: This is really hard for to say. I hope to go into Gov't/PI, but I know how competitive the field is. I want to live in California, if possible.

NoDayButToday

Postby NoDayButToday » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:37 am

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BLUERUFiO

Postby BLUERUFiO » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:44 am

Love this idea.

Law school you hope/plan to attend: I believe that I will attend BYU. My goal is to graduate top 10%.
What you're doing now: Trying to volunteer in various legal capacities. (legal clinic, mock trial, small firm volunteering)
Plans between now and starting law school (bucket list? practical matters to attend to?): Reading books on how to take law school exams. Volunteering to boost legal resume.
What you hope to do 5 years from now: In-house in a corporation.
What you hope to do 20 years from now: In-house in a corporation, close to retirement from prudent money habits.

ltrego

Postby ltrego » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:57 am

Law school you hope/plan to attend: Not 100% sure, but I'm leaning toward UNC
What you're doing now: research on student speech and anonymity online for a sparkling journal article (and finishing my BA)
Plans between now and starting law school (bucket list? practical matters to attend to?): Finish my BA, do some freelance writing/editing, finish research and article
What you hope to do 5 years from now: Working in a small non-profit on 1A/speech issues
What you hope to do 20 years from now: Working in a national non-profit on 1A/speech issues

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:58 am

Law school plan to attend: U of Miami (preparing as if I don't get into FSU)

What I'm doing now: Will begin interning at the state attorney's office in my hometown in about 2 weeks, making connections and working a bs part time job as a pizza guy (fucking liberal arts degrees)

Plans between now and starting law school: get as much as experience in the SAs office as possible and grow that network. Also enjoy living at home with minimal responsibility/significant debt for the next few months and continue to party like a rockstar

5 years from now:Working as an assistant State Attorney in my hometown as I will be a symbol for justice and guardian of law for the public in the streets I grew up in.

20 years from now: hopefully I'll be THE State Attorney in my hometown (my dream) locking assholes in jail n shit or getting ready to retire while splooging all In my wife's (now fiance) mouth and raising my kids

Attax

Postby Attax » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:52 am

Law school you hope/plan to attend: Texas. It will take a lot of $ from somewhere to convince me otherwise.
What you're doing now: Sitting on my couch typing this response.
Plans between now and starting law school (bucket list? practical matters to attend to?): Do some more skydiving, graduate undergrad, read books, take a vacation somewhere. I've never had the opportunity to really travel, and would like to spend some time doing so this summer.
What you hope to do 5 years from now: Working for a large firm in Dallas.
What you hope to do 20 years from now: Partnered at a large firm in Dallas/California/abroad.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Postby n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm

Law school you hope/plan to attend: lower T14 or Texas
What you're doing now: Govt internship and legal/political volunteering
Plans between now and starting law school (bucket list? practical matters to attend to?): travel somewhere interesting
What you hope to do 5 years from now: biglaw or clerk
What you hope to do 20 years from now: work for the feds

Noodlebrain

Postby Noodlebrain » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Law School: Stanford (accepted already)
What you're doing now: Peace Corps
Plans between now and school: Finish PC and travel
5 years: Clerkship and probably BigLaw for a bit
20 years: Federal judge? In-house work or continued BigLaw (partner, maybe?)
Dream: Work for the ICJ and eventually serve as an ICJ justice.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:40 pm

Law school you hope/plan to attend: Vandy, but it depends on $.
What you're doing now: Working for a product liability firm.
Plans between now and starting law school (bucket list? practical matters to attend to?): Read stuff. Enjoy being married. Don't go crazy over making a final school decision.
What you hope to do 5 years from now: Be working for a non-shitlaw firm, clerking, or JAG.
What you hope to do 20 years from now: Not sure. I want to start out by just paying off law school debt and becoming somewhat financially secure, but I'm open to a lot of possibilities beyond that.

vicpin5190

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:44 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:51 pm

Law school you hope/plan to attend: Attending UT
What you're doing now: Finishing up my career in the Navy
Plans between now and starting law school: Working on Navy retirement, getting the patent bar out of the way, getting our house ready to sell.
What you hope to do 5 years from now: Doing IP work at a large Dallas firm, possibly eyeing a transfer to a lifestyle/boutique IP firm by then.
What you hope to do 20 years from now: I'll be 63, so either retired, or close to it.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:32 pm

Law school you hope/plan to attend: haven't decided yet
What you're doing now: procrastinating from doing homework
Plans between now and starting law school (bucket list? practical matters to attend to?): I'd love to travel, and maybe finally run the half marathon I was training for before my stress fracture. but first I need to graduate :|
What you hope to do 5 years from now: clerking
What you hope to do 20 years from now: biglawl

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:42 pm

Law school you hope/plan to attend: no idea, I'll get back to you in a couple months
What you're doing now: working minimum wage until school starts in Aug. 2014
Plans between now and starting law school (bucket list? practical matters to attend to?): gain muscle, gain finances
What you hope to do 5 years from now: working biglaw. If that doesn't happen, working at a firm that offers me enough income for me to invest
What you hope to do 20 years from now: investing in a number of franchises, maybe even retire law if I fall in love with business

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:56 pm

Law school you hope/plan to attend: UVA, but I haven't gotten accepted anywhere yet.
What you're doing now: Substitute teaching, but it's boring and pay sucks. I've been re-learning Italian and have been considering taking another year before law school to teach ESL in Italy.
Plans between now and starting law school (bucket list? practical matters to attend to?): Regardless of teaching ESL, it stands that I'd like to travel somewhere in Europe. But otherwise, saving some money and putting more plates on the barbell.
What you hope to do 5 years from now: Mid to biglaw, somewhere around the Boston area.
What you hope to do 20 years from now: Public interest. I'm into stuff going on in animal law.

2x2Matrix

Postby 2x2Matrix » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:38 am

Law school you hope/plan to attend: Harvard (accepted) or Stanford (still waiting)
What you're doing now: working in professional services
Plans between now and starting law school (bucket list? practical matters to attend to?): more work experience, maybe at an actual company instead of professional services
What you hope to do 5 years from now: clerking or back in business role
What you hope to do 20 years from now: helping people/development work

FlatFox

Postby FlatFox » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:53 am

Law school you hope/plan to attend: University of New Mexico (already accepted)
What you're doing now: Working for a non-profit and volunteering
Plans between now and starting law school (bucket list? practical matters to attend to?): Keep working, read as much as possible, ride horses and such as possible
What you hope to do 5 years from now: Work in cultural resources management as a mediator between Native American tribes and archaeological interests to help preserve cultural history
What you hope to do 20 years from now: I have no idea

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:09 am

Law school you hope/plan to attend: Notre Dame or UMich
What you're doing now: TFA
Plans between now and starting law school: Work TFA Institute, Read 1L of a Ride and exam books, travel to Spain (hoping on that one)
What you hope to do 5 years from now: BigLaw after clerking
What you hope to do 20 years from now: Representing in state senate or working gov. agency job

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:21 am

Law school you hope/plan to attend: most likely HLS (already accepted)
What you're doing now: finishing last semester of undergrad
Plans between now and starting law school (bucket list? practical matters to attend to?): visiting friends, family vacay, read, enjoy last moments of freedom
What you hope to do 5 years from now: biglaw
What you hope to do 20 years from now: not really sure...cushy in-house job?

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:32 am

Law school you hope/plan to attend: T10, Penn and Columbia are top choices, unless finances turn out to be worse than anticipated.
What you're doing now: Finishing undergrad, editing school paper, doing some more work in my original field (journalism)
Plans between now and starting law school (bucket list? practical matters to attend to?): I'm planning to apply for some internships at a senator's office or a state senator's office... preferably Republican, since I did a Democratic congressional internship last summer. Also read In Search of Lost Time by Proust.
What you hope to do 5 years from now: Big law in NYC, for experience, if that doesn't sound ridiculous. I've heard mixed things about big law (I come from a very liberal college where anything other than environmental law/ criminal justice is frowned down upon), but I feel it's to a degree necessary work... at least for a few years.
What you hope to do 20 years from now: We'll see. Either continue in big law, move onto policy law or psychological/mental health law, or use my experience for politics and government. I should be back in my hometown by this time.

Essentially, I don't know what I'm going to do but I seem to know how I'm going to do it.

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:42 pm

Law school you hope/plan to attend: Harvard (unless YS accept me)
What you're doing now: working at a top tech company.
Plans between now and starting law school: Travel. My family wants to go to Bali. I'm not sure where else yet. Read as much as I can. See friends and explore the city. :D
What you hope to do 5 years from now: Biglaw in SF/SV, transactional side
What you hope to do 20 years from now: In-house counsel/GC for a tech firm/start-up

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:46 pm

Law school you hope/plan to attend: Dunno yet.
What you're doing now: Sitting here with Bronchitis trolling TLS :/
Plans between now and starting law school (bucket list? practical matters to attend to?): I'd like to visit europe. I've never left the country.
What you hope to do 5 years from now: Big Law
What you hope to do 20 years from now: Big Law

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”