WVU Law - West Virginia - c/o 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sonny12

Re: WVU Law - West Virginia - c/o 2017

Postby Sonny12 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:34 pm

amohiuddin wrote:
CoffeeIsLife wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:
Sonny12 wrote:I applied here as my #2 school, but after visiting and researching I've understood that job prospects after graduation are very slim outside of WV. That's a red flag for me! I'm still waiting on Penn State, where I'm waitlisted. Should I wait for Penn State and turn down my offer here to give people on waitlist a chance, not knowing if Penn State will offer me a seat?

If you KNOW you do not want to practice in WV, you should give it up. Period.

If you are open to practicing in WV, then do not.

WVU is the only school in the state of WV. If you go to WV, you should plan on staying in WV. It provides all of the lawyers for the state. This is the DEFINITION of a regional school.

Another thing about WV is most students end up in Charleston, and while you won't make the NYC salary, it is fairly cheap to live in the area.

Don't go

I'm leaning more towards that. Are you going here?

Also show of hands how many people on here are from West Virginia?

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:36 pm

WVU is the only school in the state of WV. If you go to WV, you should plan on staying in WV. It provides all of the lawyers for the state. This is the DEFINITION of a regional school.[/quote]

Another thing about WV is most students end up in Charleston, and while you won't make the NYC salary, it is fairly cheap to live in the area.[/quote]

Don't go[/quote]

I'm leaning more towards that. Are you going here?

Also show of hands how many people on here are from West Virginia?[/quote]

I live in Kanawha City (Basically Charleston) but I doubt I will be going to WVU

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:38 pm

Sonny12 wrote:
CoffeeIsLife wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:
Sonny12 wrote:I applied here as my #2 school, but after visiting and researching I've understood that job prospects after graduation are very slim outside of WV. That's a red flag for me! I'm still waiting on Penn State, where I'm waitlisted. Should I wait for Penn State and turn down my offer here to give people on waitlist a chance, not knowing if Penn State will offer me a seat?

WVU is the only school in the state of WV. If you go to WV, you should plan on staying in WV. It provides all of the lawyers for the state. This is the DEFINITION of a regional school.

Another thing about WV is most students end up in Charleston, and while you won't make the NYC salary, it is fairly cheap to live in the area.

Good point. I don't mind staying in West Virginia but I would like to have my options open. I have family in Pennsylvania and Texas.

Show of hands who is going here?

If I get in i will go... been in review for almost a month..from a bordering state.

With regionals like this...If you cant see yourself having a career there...don't go.

amohiuddin

Postby amohiuddin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:48 pm

WVU is the only school in the state of WV. If you go to WV, you should plan on staying in WV. It provides all of the lawyers for the state. This is the DEFINITION of a regional school.[/quote]

Another thing about WV is most students end up in Charleston, and while you won't make the NYC salary, it is fairly cheap to live in the area.[/quote]

Good point. I don't mind staying in West Virginia but I would like to have my options open. I have family in Pennsylvania and Texas.

Show of hands who is going here?[/quote]

If I get in i will go... been in review for almost a month..from a bordering state.

With regionals like this...If you cant see yourself having a career there...don't go.[/quote]

I got accepted but don't go

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:53 pm

amohiuddin wrote:If you KNOW you do not want to practice in WV, you should give it up. Period.

Show of hands who is going here?[/quote]

With regionals like this...If you cant see yourself having a career there...don't go.[/quote]

I got accepted but don't go[/quote]

did you withdraw

Sonny12

Postby Sonny12 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:54 pm

You’re right, but I don’t want to risk not having a law school to go to this fall. I’ll wait till I get accepted to Penn State. I know that deposit dates are coming up around mid-April, so I hope I hear from Penn State soon!

amohiuddin

Postby amohiuddin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:00 pm

Sonny12 wrote:You’re right, but I don’t want to risk not having a law school to go to this fall. I’ll wait till I get accepted to Penn State. I know that deposit dates are coming up around mid-April, so I hope I hear from Penn State soon!

I didn't withdraw

Sonny12

Postby Sonny12 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:04 pm

amohiuddin wrote:
Sonny12 wrote:You’re right, but I don’t want to risk not having a law school to go to this fall. I’ll wait till I get accepted to Penn State. I know that deposit dates are coming up around mid-April, so I hope I hear from Penn State soon!

I didn't withdraw

amohiuddin, so are you attending this Fall?

amohiuddin

Postby amohiuddin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:08 pm

Sonny12 wrote:
amohiuddin wrote:

I didn't withdraw

amohiuddin, so are you attending this Fall?

You'll know in a couple of weeks. Rest assured

Dmv21

Postby Dmv21 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:21 pm

Sonny12 wrote:
CoffeeIsLife wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:

Show of hands who is going here?

Im going to WVU!

Sonny12

Postby Sonny12 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:30 pm

Im going to WVU![/quote]

That's great! Did you attend the student luncheon?

Dmv21

Postby Dmv21 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks!

No I wasn't able to attend, but I visited earlier this year.

Sonny12

Postby Sonny12 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:05 pm

Dmv21 wrote:Thanks!

Nice, I liked the campus! I'll see you there this August! :D 8)

Dmv21

Postby Dmv21 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:08 pm

Sonny12 wrote:

That's great! :lol:
Did you attend the Admitted Students Day? Have you decided where you're living yet?

Sonny12

Postby Sonny12 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:26 pm

Dmv21 wrote:
Sonny12 wrote:

That's great! :lol:
Did you attend the Admitted Students Day? Have you decided where you're living yet?

No, most likely I won't be staying on campus. Have you?

Dmv21

Postby Dmv21 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:59 pm

I'm living at the Domain at Town Centre.

amohiuddin

Postby amohiuddin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:47 pm

Hey I got accepted as well. Still weighing my options. What is your expected living expenses at domain and why did you decide on going to wvu? Also did you receive any scholarships?

Dmv21

Postby Dmv21 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:23 pm

amohiuddin wrote:Hey I got accepted as well. Still weighing my options. What is your expected living expenses at domain and why did you decide on going to wvu? Also did you receive any scholarships?

What other schools are you looking at? Expected living costs are around $7800 for a year with all utilities included. I decided to go their because I enjoyed the atmosphere of the campus, the professors, the class size, and the close-knit community within the school. The ranking is pretty good for the price and they are good in corporate law(which is the field I want to go into). I have a fellowship at the school for full scholarship and a stipend.

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:25 pm

Dmv21 wrote:
amohiuddin wrote:Hey I got accepted as well. Still weighing my options. What is your expected living expenses at domain and why did you decide on going to wvu? Also did you receive any scholarships?

What other schools are you looking at? Expected living costs are around $7800 for a year with all utilities included. I decided to go their because I enjoyed the atmosphere of the campus, the professors, the class size, and the close-knit community within the school. The ranking is pretty good for the price and they are good in corporate law(which is the field I want to go into). I have a fellowship at the school for full scholarship and a stipend.

You got a good deal on that one...

Dmv21

Postby Dmv21 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:30 pm

Yeah. Im still in disbelief! lol

amohiuddin

Postby amohiuddin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:32 pm

Dmv21 wrote:

Yea I want to go into corporate law as well. As of right now I'm on the waitlist of 6 schools (WUSTL, wfu, W&L, miami, msu, and Indiana). I was offered a stripend as well but a mediocre scholly of 8000$. I didn't go to the asw. But I emailed them today asking for a extension on my deposit so I can wait for those other schools. They accepted the extension. Congrats on you admission, I hope you do well.

Dmv21

Postby Dmv21 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:36 pm

amohiuddin wrote:
Dmv21 wrote:

Yea I want to go into corporate law as well. As of right now I'm on the waitlist of 6 schools (WUSTL, wfu, W&L, miami, msu, and Indiana). I was offered a stripend as well but a mediocre scholly of 8000$. I didn't go to the asw. But I emailed them today asking for a extension on my deposit so I can wait for those other schools. They accepted the extension. Congrats on you admission, I hope you do well.

I got into WFU and waist listed at W&L. Have you tried negotiating your scholarship? Are you in or out of state? Thank you! Good luck with everything!

amohiuddin

Postby amohiuddin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:54 pm

Out of state. Live in Florida. I tried negotiating but they went on about having no scholarship fund bs. They said they might be able to offer me more after the deposit lol.

Dmv21

Postby Dmv21 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:57 pm

amohiuddin wrote:Out of state. Live in Florida. I tried negotiating but they went on about having no scholarship fund bs. They said they might be able to offer me more after the deposit lol.

Haha oh wow. Maybe you can try again after the deposit deadline passes?

amohiuddin

Postby amohiuddin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:07 pm

Dmv21 wrote:
amohiuddin wrote:Out of state. Live in Florida. I tried negotiating but they went on about having no scholarship fund bs. They said they might be able to offer me more after the deposit lol.

Haha oh wow. Maybe you can try again after the deposit deadline passes?

Yea I'll try again. Just curious, you mentioned that you got into wfu, are you attending wfu? If not, is it because of a better offer from wvu? Even though wfu is higher ranked

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”