WVU Law - West Virginia - c/o 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Oxcart

WVU Law - West Virginia - c/o 2017

Postby Oxcart » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:05 pm

I haven't been able to find a thread for WVU 2017...

Has anyone applied or planning to apply?

Oxcart

Re: WVU Law - West Virginia - c/o 2017

Postby Oxcart » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:50 pm

Why so little (or none at all) interest in WVU this year? Is something going on there?

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:14 pm

Oxcart wrote:Why so little (or none at all) interest in WVU this year? Is something going on there?

LOL.

monsterman

Postby monsterman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:17 pm

Nothing is going on there. Like, nothing at all.

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:34 pm

I applied.

They have a strong employment rate, but be prepared to stay in Charleston after graduation

amohiuddin

Postby amohiuddin » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:44 pm

i got in at WVU but not sure about going...still waiting on wake, tulane, and INdiana and w&L

Mitchellcar

Postby Mitchellcar » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:02 am

How long did it take you all to get scholly info? I got accepted last week but havn't heard anything about scholarships. Well above both 75%.

amohiuddin

Postby amohiuddin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:12 am

Mitchellcar wrote:How long did it take you all to get scholly info? I got accepted last week but havn't heard anything about scholarships. Well above both 75%.

Does the scholly info come after you receive the admissions package? I didn't receive anything after the admissions package.

amohiuddin

Postby amohiuddin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:12 am

amohiuddin wrote:
Mitchellcar wrote:How long did it take you all to get scholly info? I got accepted last week but havn't heard anything about scholarships. Well above both 75%.

Does the scholly info come after you receive the admissions package? I didn't receive anything after the admissions package.

I'm 75% too

Mitchellcar

Postby Mitchellcar » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:30 am

amohiuddin wrote:

I havn't even got the acceptance package yet so idk.

Dmv21

Postby Dmv21 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:44 am

Mitchellcar wrote:
amohiuddin wrote:

I didn't get my acceptance packet yet either. Anyone planning on going to the Admitted Students Day?

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:11 pm

How was everyone notified? Status checker or email?

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:13 pm

BankruptMe wrote:How was everyone notified? Status checker or email?

I was notified by Status Checker, and then I called and asked for Scholarship information

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:15 pm

Any Idea how long it took? between complete and accepted?

I think it says on the dates on the left hand side of status checker

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:11 pm

BankruptMe wrote:Any Idea how long it took? between complete and accepted?

It took me a while, but I turned in my Application on 11/25 and heard back early February.

amohiuddin

Postby amohiuddin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:05 pm

it took about a month for me to get accepted, i got the admissions packet but still waiting on the scholly letter. should i email them about it? btw West Virginia Law went up 9 spots in the latest US news rankings: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+4

amohiuddin

Postby amohiuddin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:07 pm

Dmv21 wrote:
Mitchellcar wrote:
amohiuddin wrote:

I didn't get my acceptance packet yet either. Anyone planning on going to the Admitted Students Day?

if they offer me a flight ticket plus accommodation, i might go

Dmv21

Postby Dmv21 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:15 pm

amohiuddin wrote:

it took about a month for me to get accepted, i got the admissions packet but still waiting on the scholly letter. should i email them about it? btw West Virginia Law went up 9 spots in the latest US news rankings: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+4

Yeah shoot them an email. They're really helpful in the admissions office.

I saw that on US News! That's great!

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:36 am

According to NYT old data from 2010, WV is one of the markets that is not severely oversaturated. Since it is the only law school in the state, I think they said only x<50 each year are unemployed.

I am sure if you hustle you can take the degree to a neighboring state also.

amohiuddin

Postby amohiuddin » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:13 pm

BankruptMe wrote:According to NYT old data from 2010, WV is one of the markets that is not severely oversaturated. Since it is the only law school in the state, I think they said only x<50 each year are unemployed.

I am sure if you hustle you can take the degree to a neighboring state also.

Yea that's true

Sonny12

Postby Sonny12 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:57 pm

I applied here as my #2 school, but after visiting and researching I've understood that job prospects after graduation are very slim outside of WV. That's a red flag for me! I'm still waiting on Penn State, where I'm waitlisted. Should I wait for Penn State and turn down my offer here to give people on waitlist a chance, not knowing if Penn State will offer me a seat?

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:02 pm

Sonny12 wrote:I applied here as my #2 school, but after visiting and researching I've understood that job prospects after graduation are very slim outside of WV. That's a red flag for me! I'm still waiting on Penn State, where I'm waitlisted. Should I wait for Penn State and turn down my offer here to give people on waitlist a chance, not knowing if Penn State will offer me a seat?

If you KNOW you do not want to practice in WV, you should give it up. Period.

If you are open to practicing in WV, then do not.

WVU is the only school in the state of WV. If you go to WV, you should plan on staying in WV. It provides all of the lawyers for the state. This is the DEFINITION of a regional school.

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:07 pm

BankruptMe wrote:
Sonny12 wrote:I applied here as my #2 school, but after visiting and researching I've understood that job prospects after graduation are very slim outside of WV. That's a red flag for me! I'm still waiting on Penn State, where I'm waitlisted. Should I wait for Penn State and turn down my offer here to give people on waitlist a chance, not knowing if Penn State will offer me a seat?

WVU is the only school in the state of WV. If you go to WV, you should plan on staying in WV. It provides all of the lawyers for the state. This is the DEFINITION of a regional school.

Another thing about WV is most students end up in Charleston, and while you won't make the NYC salary, it is fairly cheap to live in the area.

amohiuddin

Postby amohiuddin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:10 pm

CoffeeIsLife wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:

Another thing about WV is most students end up in Charleston, and while you won't make the NYC salary, it is fairly cheap to live in the area.

Don't go

Sonny12

Postby Sonny12 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:30 pm

CoffeeIsLife wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:

Good point. I don't mind staying in West Virginia but I would like to have my options open. I have family in Pennsylvania and Texas.

Show of hands who is going here?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”