Quinnipiac C/o 2017 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
X250X

Re: Quinnipiac C/o 2017 Applicants

Postby X250X » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:22 pm

Delete
Last edited by X250X on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:48 pm

Last edited by PattyCake on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dean414

Postby dean414 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:54 am

Got my letter in mail yesterday. 35 k per year

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:37 am

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Just had my interview today. Sat in on a constitutional law class and met with the Dean Emeritus. dean of admissions, a current 1L dean's fellow, and a handful of faculty members. It was very informative and everyone was so nice and welcoming! PS the school is beautiful, can't wait to see the new facility at one of the March admitted students days!

X250X

Postby X250X » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:18 pm

PattyCake wrote:Just had my interview today. Sat in on a constitutional law class and met with the Dean Emeritus. dean of admissions, a current 1L dean's fellow, and a handful of faculty members. It was very informative and everyone was so nice and welcoming! PS the school is beautiful, can't wait to see the new facility at one of the March admitted students days!

That's good to hear about the school. Hope you get your scholarship bumped up.

Caesar Salad

Postby Caesar Salad » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:37 am

Just heard back and got waitlisted :( I visited Quinnipiac years ago during the college search and was struck by the place: it is really really beautiful. I was excited about the idea of going, and with my 3.55 at a good school and a 163 I thought I stood a good chance at significant scholarship money--it never occurred to me that I wouldn't get in. Oh hubris, you cold cold bitch

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:38 am

SeriousLehigh wrote:Just heard back and got waitlisted :( I visited Quinnipiac years ago during the college search and was struck by the place: it is really really beautiful. I was excited about the idea of going, and with my 3.55 at a good school and a 163 I thought I stood a good chance at significant scholarship money--it never occurred to me that I wouldn't get in. Oh hubris, you cold cold bitch

YP.

ETA: that, or you are Aaron Hernandez.

Caesar Salad

Postby Caesar Salad » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:40 am

OMG you just genuinely put a fat smile on my face. I had never heard of that practice, but it obviously makes a lot of sense. Well I sent them a message explaining that I really really like Quinnipiac and do want to still be considered for admission! Perhaps they will reassess?

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:42 am

SeriousLehigh wrote:Just heard back and got waitlisted :( I visited Quinnipiac years ago during the college search and was struck by the place: it is really really beautiful. I was excited about the idea of going, and with my 3.55 at a good school and a 163 I thought I stood a good chance at significant scholarship money--it never occurred to me that I wouldn't get in. Oh hubris, you cold cold bitch

That is surprising, if it's your top choice write a LOCI and let them know right away - they might be holding off until they know if they're a serious option for you. Sorry to hear that though :-(

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:42 am

SeriousLehigh wrote:OMG you just genuinely put a fat smile on my face. I had never heard of that practice, but it obviously makes a lot of sense. Well I sent them a message explaining that I really really like Quinnipiac and do want to still be considered for admission! Perhaps they will reassess?

Yeah. Search around the site here for tips on a good LOCI to send in, possibly even a new LOR. If you're close, plan a visit.

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:46 am

JustHawkin wrote:
SeriousLehigh wrote:OMG you just genuinely put a fat smile on my face. I had never heard of that practice, but it obviously makes a lot of sense. Well I sent them a message explaining that I really really like Quinnipiac and do want to still be considered for admission! Perhaps they will reassess?

Yeah. Search around the site here for tips on a good LOCI to send in, possibly even a new LOR. If you're close, plan a visit.

^ this, there are lots of sample L's OCI on the web to give you an idea. If it's your first choice consider asking the new LOR that JustHawkin suggested, and ask the recommender to specifically address it to QU so they know you put in effort for them specifically.

Caesar Salad

Postby Caesar Salad » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:46 am

JustHawkin wrote:

YP.

To the Aaron Hernandez point, I did have a bit of a disciplinary record, with an underage drinking citation freshman year and a public drunkenness after I turned 21. From other stuff I have seen on this board I got the impression that those types of offenses are kinda irrelevant to admissions people--obviously they do not make me Aaron Hernandez. Do you think that this is probably a result of the YP strategy or do you think that those infractions were potentially enough to outweigh my numbers?

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:48 am

SeriousLehigh wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:

YP.

To the Aaron Hernandez point, I did have a bit of a disciplinary record, with an underage drinking citation freshman year and a public drunkenness after I turned 21. From other stuff I have seen on this board I got the impression that those types of offenses are kinda irrelevant to admissions people--obviously they do not make me Aaron Hernandez. Do you think that this is probably a result of the YP strategy or do you think that those infractions were potentially enough to outweigh my numbers?

I'm always under the impression that adcomms have a VIVID imagination. So if you didn't explain yourself, you should, ASAP. Could be part of both.

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:50 am

SeriousLehigh wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:

YP.

Could be either or a combination of both. I'd ask a recommender to write something that speaks to your maturity. I suppose they could specifically mention the offenses and talk about how you've grown BUT (a) it's risky to draw more attention to it if that's not the reason, and (b) your recommender would have to actually be able to speak knowledgeably to that growth. Either way, if it's too hard to find another new recommender, consider asking one of your existing ones to send a letter directly to admissions as a follow up to their original rec. check first that it will be accepted, obviously.

Caesar Salad

Postby Caesar Salad » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:53 am

PattyCake wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:

^ this, there are lots of sample L's OCI on the web to give you an idea. If it's your first choice consider asking the new LOR that JustHawkin suggested, and ask the recommender to specifically address it to QU so they know you put in effort for them specifically.

Thank you for this advice! I wouldn't say that QU is my #1 choice if everything else was equal, but if they were to offer me enough money than I would love to attend. I am definitely going to take a look around and draft up an LOCI. I will definitely keep everyone posted.

Caesar Salad

Postby Caesar Salad » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:58 am

JustHawkin wrote:
SeriousLehigh wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:

YP.

I'm always under the impression that adcomms have a VIVID imagination. So if you didn't explain yourself, you should, ASAP. Could be part of both.

I attached a supplement explaining the situation and, I think, drawing a pretty simple narrative through the ~18 months between the two incidents and the ~18 months since, showing that all important growth and maturity by...uhm...not getting arrested again. I actually do have another professor who I am sure would be willing to write me a letter, I am going to get in touch with him and get the ball rolling. Thank you, and pattycake, for your timely and extremely helpful advice.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”