Utah c/o 2017 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
magnuswalton

Re: Utah c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby magnuswalton » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:29 am

with a 168 you should be getting a full ride at the U...they are one step away from tier 2...just tell them you will withdraw if you dont get a higher schollie....i think they may need your LSAT score more than you give yourself credit for!

whjohnso444

Postby whjohnso444 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:53 am

Ya I tried many times. They don't give full rides unless your urm. A guy last year had a 169 and got the same scholly. He got off
The wl at gtown and went there. I'm on the priority wait list so I might get off. We shall see.

magnuswalton

Postby magnuswalton » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:29 pm

IMHO just think you will always wonder "what if" going to the U...you only get to do law school ONE time in your career and you LSAT score will get you into a much higher ranked school! For the rest of your legal career people will ask you where you went to law school and as soon as you tell them the U, it will give a picture of who you are....they are not going to follow that up with what was your LSAT or what kind of schollie did you get or how busy were you when you were studying for the LSAT...
From your posts it seems like you will always wonder "what if" GTown or Texas...or another Top14....
Your LSAT will get you into many higher ranked schools and I just don't get what it is that has you so convinced that you have not done enough to earn a higher schollie than you are getting at the U...Your LSAT score is nearly 10 points higher than the MEDIAN...that to me shows that you SHOULD look for a school that better fits your PROFILE...Put more worth into yourself and go for MORE...YOU HAVE EARNED IT!

whjohnso444

Postby whjohnso444 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:16 pm

To be honest I have struggled with it a lot. Tell me if these facts change your tune. I am getting married in August and my fiancee has a business here that makes decent $$$. She will be able to pay for my COL and ALL of my tuition with that money if we stay here. So I will have 0 dollars in loans. If we go out of state, she will need to hire staff and pay for flights once a week to maintain the business, which means I would have to take out loans for tuition and COL, and deal with that inconvenience of travel. This is a big reason for me picking the U because its a huge swing financially to leave the state. Having said that, do you think BYU is THAT MUCH better that waiting a year would be a good idea?? I forgot to mention that I was expelled from undergrad at Pepperdine AND have a DUI among other things on my record, which I think turned a lot of schools off (got wl'd more than half of my schools). Also, with these C&F issues, I'm not even sure BYU would take me, especially with the low GPA because they like high GPAs. Given all of this, I thought the U would be a good choice.

<DC>

Postby <DC> » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:13 am

whjohnso444 wrote:To be honest I have struggled with it a lot. Tell me if these facts change your tune. I am getting married in August conrats and my fiancee has a business here that makes decent $$$. She will be able to pay for my COL and ALL of my tuition with that moneyBONUS!! if we stay here. So I will have 0 dollars in loans. THIS IS A WIN If we go out of state, she will need to hire staff and pay for flights once a week to maintain the business, which means I would have to take out loans for tuition and COL, and deal with that inconvenience of travel. not worth it This is a big reason for me picking the U because its a huge swing financially to leave the state. Having said that, do you think BYU is THAT MUCH better that waiting a year would be a good idea??no...no....and no I forgot to mention that I was expelled from undergrad at Pepperdine AND have a DUI among other things on my record, which I think turned a lot of schools off (got wl'd more than half of my schools). Also, with these C&F issues, I'm not even sure BYU would take me,they wouldn't especially with the low GPApart of the reason because they like high GPAs. Given all of this, I thought the U would be a good choice.

The U is the place for you. I did my uGrad there. Great place. What you are looking for is post grad situation. People who are going to hire you for going to the U are the same ones that will not for going to BYU. It is how the state is. Very north vs. south polarized. So really you are not gaining anything by trying for BYU when you would more than liely end up at the U, but now 12 months later. That is opportunity cost and you dont need that. So go get married, honeymoon in Jackson Hole, and come back and be a 1L with everything north of South Jordan in your scope for post grad opportunity.

magnuswalton

Postby magnuswalton » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:12 am

Your past is just that...your PAST. Put that past into the proper light with a well constructed and honest addendum that shows your growth as a person...the legal profession is actually of the few places left that honors that growth and change!

The COL and fiancee paying for stuff does NOT change my perception of you situation...you guys can have an awesome adventure going away for a few years...think about ways to shift costs around...for example maybe your fiancee will be ok living in DC/Boston/"other cool city and putting off the honeymoon for a year so that you can take the honeymoon money this year/or next and put it towards moving to a cool city for law school.

It sounds like you went to school in Cali, which can be a really fun experience...besides the DUI, you probably made some great memories, what is the price tag for those---you probably could have gone to a less expensive school then Pep. but you didn't, why? Their are intangibles that make life FUN, and those opportunities are not alway there for everyone, but with a 168 you have earned the TICKET to go to a school that you like, so DO IT...you will never get a chance to do law school over again...(nor will you want to..so make this go around GREAT).

Say what you will about the Y, (I was a Ute for years) but they have networking that reaches COAST to COAST...its actually pretty impressive! That networking may make all the difference for you landing that FIRST job out of law school...don't underestimate it! You have referenced you hard work ethic multiple times, but I am confident that there are MANY law graduates with great work ethic and solid grades WITHOUT jobs because they did not have access to great networking...

You have a 168! By percentiles alone we know that not many students achieve that stat. And you are a splitter...which can work in your FAVOR depending on the school...some schools love splitters depending on the cycle and their need for that PARTICULAR cycle...REAPPLY!

When you are working as a partner in a great law firm years from now, you may be making more money then you know what to do with...Its unlikely that you will regret going to Gtown/GW/Texas...look at all of these alumni who donate thousands....

Go LIVE LIFE...CHASE YOUR DREAMS...if thats the U then so be it...but don't well out on your dreams just because they threw 14K/year at you...your dreams are worth MUCH MORE!

NotoriousPAG

Postby NotoriousPAG » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:11 am

This is beginning to sound like a counseling session with a cheap life coach high on The Secret.

whjohnso444

Postby whjohnso444 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Ya I guess I'm just not too sure I want to do biglaw. Kind of want to do criminal. 6 figure debt would stress me out of a good time and force me into biglaw. However, if i do get off a waitlist at a t 14 i will def consider it. I just don't think 6 figures of debt for texas is a good idea when I want to work in utah. Georgetown / northwestern / michigan might be a different story.

Sweeny12

Postby Sweeny12 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:21 pm

Like every WL candidate I'm anxious. So I have been watching the numbers on the FB group once a week or so and noticed it has dropped by like 5 or 6 since I last checked, its at 40. The seems pretty low!

Any ideas if that is an indication of who many have accepted at the U and put down their seat deposit? When are deposits due for admitted students? Trying to get an idea of when they will start looking into the WL and seeing movement.

whjohnso444

Postby whjohnso444 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:30 pm

I think their stinginess (not matching scholarship even from higher ranked schools) and gpa stips turn a lot of people off. I think your in decent shape. What are your numbers if you don't mind me asking?

Sweeny12

Postby Sweeny12 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:47 pm

No it's fine

Not great. I let nervs get to me when I take standardized tests. Practiced at an average of 167 (25 tests) got a 155 when I took the LSAT (all damn three times, been almost 2 years) GPA is a 3.4

Solid softs with ~5 yrs FT work experience and I've been published.

whjohnso444

Postby whjohnso444 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:56 pm

I hate to be "that guy" but if I were you I would retake in June. That would significantly your waitlist chances and even bring some scholly. Utah I feel likes work experience and you will probably get in, but sticker is a hard bargain. If your in state it's not too bad I suppose.

tsutsik

Postby tsutsik » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:01 pm

NotoriousPAG wrote:This is beginning to sound like a counseling session with a cheap life coach high on The Secret.

This.

tsutsik

Postby tsutsik » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:17 pm

whjohnso444 wrote: Ya I guess I'm just not too sure I want to do biglaw. Kind of want to do criminal. 6 figure debt would stress me out of a good time and force me into biglaw. However, if i do get off a waitlist at a t 14 i will def consider it. I just don't think 6 figures of debt for texas is a good idea when I want to work in utah. Georgetown / northwestern / michigan might be a different story.

If you (1) want to work in Utah, (2) don't want BigLaw, (3) and can graduate from Utah debt free, you would be insane to go to Texas or some other T14 and take on six figure debt.
Last edited by tsutsik on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whjohnso444

Postby whjohnso444 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Who all in here is going to utah? And have you joined the fb group? Everyone on there looks old and/or from a rural area lolz

magnuswalton

Postby magnuswalton » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:44 pm

tsutsik wrote:
whjohnso444 wrote: Ya I guess I'm just not too sure I want to do biglaw. Kind of want to do criminal. 6 figure debt would stress me out of a good time and force me into biglaw. However, if i do get off a waitlist at a t 14 i will def consider it. I just don't think 6 figures of debt for texas is a good idea when I want to work in utah. Georgetown / northwestern / michigan might be a different story.

If you (1) want to work in Utah, (2) don't want BigLaw, (3) and can graduate from Utah debt free, you would be insane to go to Texas or some other T14 and take on six figure debt.

hey tsusik, looks like you have already chosen the U...its too late for you...don't lead other people astray...

Sweeny12

Postby Sweeny12 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:52 pm

^

magnuswalton killed the thread.... :shock:

Utesfan

Postby Utesfan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Any news from anyone? Anyone started to study yet?

Sweeny12

Postby Sweeny12 » Thu May 01, 2014 3:13 pm

I'm curious if there are any lurkers out there who are WL and when in the past there started to be movement

Utesfan

Postby Utesfan » Wed May 07, 2014 3:14 pm

Did you get in yet Sweeney? They just upped my scholarship so I think they are getting more people.

Sweeny12

Postby Sweeny12 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:22 pm

Utesfan wrote:Did you get in yet Sweeney? They just upped my scholarship so I think they are getting more people.

Not yet nor have I heard anything. When I was WL'd back in March they said that an update letter would come 2nd week of May. I interviewed on campus and that went really well, so I'm hoping that helps. I have no idea how many spots are available to the WL and when they will start making offers. Wish I did...

If I get that coveted call my deposit is going in that day!

Edit: I noticed this morning that my application review date changed to 5/6/14. Here is to hoping something good comes from it.

Utesfan

Postby Utesfan » Thu May 08, 2014 1:21 pm

Only 46 in the fb group. I'm pulling for you. I'd retake in June just for kicks. With a few more points you'll be a sure fire admit.

Sweeny12

Postby Sweeny12 » Thu May 08, 2014 2:10 pm

Utesfan wrote:Only 46 in the fb group. I'm pulling for you. I'd retake in June just for kicks. With a few more points you'll be a sure fire admit.

I've taken it 3 times, PT'd really well, but test day hasn't been good to me :oops:, but I could retake June, my two years is up then.

My plan for now is to wait it out to see what happens. If I don't get in I will retake in September and see what next cycle brings.

moralsentiments

Postby moralsentiments » Sat May 10, 2014 3:47 pm

Utesfan wrote:Did you get in yet Sweeney? They just upped my scholarship so I think they are getting more people.

They upped mine too, by a lot. Is this pretty common?

Utesfan

Postby Utesfan » Sat May 10, 2014 10:57 pm

Not common at all from who I talked to.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”