Lewis and Clark c/o 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lateralis

Re: Lewis and Clark c/o 2017

Postby lateralis » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:35 pm

alanjd wrote:
lateralis wrote:
dmitriygolos wrote:
alanjd wrote:Is anyone going to the preview day this Friday?

I was there.. did you go?

Would you be willing to share your impression with those of us who couldn't attend either session?

My apologies for not responding sooner; things have been crazy on my end for the past couple of weeks.

First of all, I have to say that these preview days are made to make you want to go to their school. So, they do everything in their power to make their best pitch. I imagine that this is true from the top to the bottom of the law school ladder.

Having said that, their pitch worked on me. L&C was not my first choice, but after last Friday I feel more confident about possibly putting my deposit down tomorrow. It really is a great school and it has a great learning environment that seems competitive but not overly so. To me, one of the most compelling aspects of the day was the fact that over 40 staff and faculty members showed up to take part in the day. A few of them gave mock lectures or presentations but I think many of them were just there to have lunch with the attendees and answer questions about the school and the different programs. A number of current students also participated and gave their perspective about the school.

I also really enjoyed visiting the school and getting to interact with potential future classmates. If you are seriously considering the school, take some time to visit and the city. As for me, it looks like I will be sending my deposit their way tomorrow. Please let me know if anyone has any questions.

Thanks.

Postby 052220151 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:42 pm

ImageTURD ALERTImage

lateralis wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
You aren't getting it. Current students don't owe you anything, that's your mistake. Ad-hom has nothing to do with this.

You are attacking the guy making the post instead of the contents of the post itself. And that you did this was and remains unsurprising.

I never said anyone owes me anything. I intimated that if one assumes the role as ambassador for one's school by making a public offer of advice one should do one's damnedest to fulfill that role.

deputydog wrote:
bro he is just telling you to chill out because you're coming across as a turd. that's not ad hom, that's how it is dude. to answer your questions:

1) Top 1-10 (maybe a little below that too) at L&C are fine for getting jobs at any of the top firms in Portland, but they aren't competitive with the top 10% of T14, they are competitive with median and below T14 students with ties. top 10% of a T14 is coming back here for A3 clerkships and the best associate gigs (perkins, dwt, stoel, etc). Going to L&C with your heart set on a gig at one of these firms is going to be incredibly difficult, especially if you're ties aren't airtight, or if you don't have some sort of other factor in your favor (strong WE, diversity, IP/Chinese/Japanese, etc.). If you are Portland "biglaw" or bust, your best bet is to Good luck! Follow your dreams! and go to a better school.

2) This is a silly consideration. You're in one of the most liberal cities in America, the LS and campus as a whole is liberal. But, there are conservatives there and in the city at large. You should be more concerned with career outcomes and cost rather than something that won't affect those.

Thanks. Scatologic comment notwithstanding.

zephyr12

Postby zephyr12 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:48 pm

lateralis wrote:
zephyr12 wrote:
rodmanhust wrote:in with 13k/yr for PT program.
also need to know whether nego. is possible.

Negotiation is definitely possible. I was accepted and offered 32k/year but recently decided to withdraw. This is part of the e-mail I got after they received my withdrawal:

"I am sorry that you have decided not to attend Lewis & Clark Law School. If you feel that L&C is a great fit for you, but something is holding you back that we can change, please let us know as we would like to make it possible for you to attend."

I took that to mean "if it's a full ride you want, make the ask." L&C made by the strongest offer to me of it peer schools. I think they are being really aggressive about moving up in the rankings and raising their medians so negotiating is more possible with them than most schools, I would think.

32k to full ride is quite a jump. What makes you think that is within the realm of possibility? LSN shows 35k is the highest this cycle.

Well, full tuition anyways which is a touch over 40k for the coming school year. I think getting 8k/year more out of them would be reasonable.

lateralis

Postby lateralis » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:41 pm

deputydog wrote: MEGAPOASTER GIF

This is how you treat people who thank you?

Postby 052220151 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:47 pm

lateralis wrote:

dude you came in here demanding info from people who had no obligation to help you and when they provided info or told you chill out you just started throwing out backhanded thanks and pretentious platitudes.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:40 pm

deputydog wrote:
lateralis wrote:

dude you came in here demanding info from people who had no obligation to help you and when they provided info or told you chill out you just started throwing out backhanded thanks and pretentious platitudes.

+1

Dude, of course you're being attacked as a turd, because you are one. That's just science. The larger point is that your POSITION is also wrong. No one from L&C is being paid to answer your message board questions. People get busy with life.

bobloblaw0227

Postby bobloblaw0227 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:40 am

Just WD with 75k in scholly, enjoy

Manteca

Postby Manteca » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:59 pm

]
Last edited by Manteca on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lateralis

Postby lateralis » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:11 pm

cron1834 wrote:
Dude, of course you're being attacked as a turd, because you are one. That's just science. The larger point is that your POSITION is also wrong. No one from L&C is being paid to answer your message board questions. People get busy with life.

You obviously suffer from an acute inferiority complex.

clemenza

Postby clemenza » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:16 pm

Finally received a decision after 6 months. Waitlisted as well. A little disappointed but will be signing the form to be considered over the next few months. Would be great to get in.

Magical Trevor

Postby Magical Trevor » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:36 pm

lateralis wrote:
cron1834 wrote:

Unsurprising ad hom.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:34 pm

Well.

I'm the 3L who offered to answer q's in this thread. First of all, with some reading comprehension, you'd see I said I probably wouldn't check this thread back, but to PM me.

More critically, this poster DID PM me AND I ANSWERED, back in NOVEMBER. And this poster replied to my answer. So maybe he/she has forgotten, or maybe he/she is just a jerk. He/she did not ask exactly the same questions, but I answered what was PM'd to me...like my OFFER said I would. I really don't know, but I gave this (what I thought was rather extensive) response (considering he/she asked the question near FINALS.)
I will leave it here in case anyone wants to see what I said for their own information in considering L&C. I've deleted where I had pasted his/her questions and answered them, because I don't want to post someone else's content without their permission. Everything below are my words. I also deleted a few more personal things that might have given too much info.

I will do my best to answer your questions. I'm a 3L, so fair warning, the thrill of law school wears off, lol, and finals are in 2 weeks so I shall try not to be unduly unpleasant! :)

The school has positives and negatives like any school. Faculty are generally good. Few jerks, mostly really nice and helpful. Mostly understand students are people (for example, I had a family emergency recently, and I had no trouble getting podcasts of all my classes and extensions of deadlines.) There are a few jerks. You won't have any choice 1L year who you get (1L's schedules are 100% determined by the school) and people will warn you about who to avoid if possible by 2L year.

1L year you get put into "pods" by color (green pod, blue pod etc). There are about 30-35 people per pod.
You have EVERY class with your pod, except legal writing which your pod is split in half for. You also have another pod in most of your classes, and that pod varies. So, for example, if you're Yellow pod, you have all your classes with Yellow. ONE class will have JUST yellow, but it varies. All the other classes will also have another pod, you might have Civ Pro with blue pod and Contracts with red pod.

There isn't much conversation. (about the LSAT/GPA drop in the recent entering class).There was general dismay amongst my class (current 3L's) over the 20 place USnews drop, because we all started attending a school ranked 58 and appeared to be climbing, that is now ranked, what, like 82? I lost track.Our Dean is leaving at the end of this academic year, so I don't know what kind of changes could be coming. Hopefully they will address this. I guess I could tell you after finals if it seems like it made any difference, because the first group with the lower gpa/lsat are now 2L's, so they're in my classes. But last year, of course, they weren't.

The job market here sucks. I'm not going to sugar coat it. The market is TINY, there are a ton of unemployed people who have already passed the bar, so unbarred 3L's are not high on anyone's list.

You know…I think that there is a little more prestige around L&C with firms, so if you are looking at PDX "big law", (which isn't that big, of course, lol) then I think L&C still beats U of O. Otherwise? If you stay in Oregon, I don't think it matters much. There are a LOT of U of O alum in firms/as judges etc. U of O is stingy as fuck with scholly money, so all things being equal L&C is better just for options (Most firm jobs are in PDX, they are not going to hire summer clerks who live in Eugene if equally good clerks live in PDX) I know for me, even though I qualify for in state Oregon tuition, U of O was so stingy that counting scholarships L&C ended up being the same price.

Re: clerkships: I know of one that got 9th circuit. There could be more, I just don't know about. Several in fed dist court.

L&C does not stack scholarship recipients in sections. Sections are roughly based on where you live (like, they try to put all the northwest people in one pod, and all the southeast people in one pod) There's usually one pod with the leftovers - people who didn't have a local address yet, people who live way out not by anyone else. They are really environmental here, so they want to encourage carpooling, so they pod people who live near each other together because it's easier to carpool if you live by people who you have classes at the same time as.

Full ride is the largest scholarship I've heard of. Never heard of any kind of stipend or additional over tuition though.

I don't think they will drop scholarship stip entirely, but they dropped the schools stip for entering students to 2.6 last year. Median is 2.9, so that's pretty generous. My year, our scholly's all required a 2.9.

Also, as a side note, my first year, the food at the law school cafe was awesome. It SUCKS now. Plan to bring lunch. Particularly if you're not vegan. We're VERY vegan friendly.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:36 pm

Also, mods are welcome to look at my PM's, this poster's pm's to me and mine in response are still sitting in my box.

I really don't know what you think you're accomplishing by acting like someone wronged you when I very nicely answered your questions, but it's incredibly obnoxious.

lateralis

Postby lateralis » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:02 pm

sidhesadie wrote:I'm the 3L who offered to answer q's in this thread. First of all, with some reading comprehension, you'd see I said I probably wouldn't check this thread back, but to PM me.

More critically, this poster DID PM me AND I ANSWERED, back in NOVEMBER. And this poster replied to my answer. So maybe he/she has forgotten, or maybe he/she is just a jerk. He/she did not ask exactly the same questions, but I answered what was PM'd to me...like my OFFER said I would. I really don't know, but I gave this (what I thought was rather extensive) response (considering he/she asked the question near FINALS.)
I will leave it here in case anyone wants to see what I said for their own information in considering L&C. I've deleted where I had pasted his/her questions and answered them, because I don't want to post someone else's content without their permission. Everything below are my words. I also deleted a few more personal things that might have given too much info.

This is all rather academic to me now that I have made the decision to not attend Lewis and Clark. But you deserve a response.

Yes, I recall the private messages and thanked you for your responses to my initial questions at that time. What I didn’t understand is why you avoided my final two questions. I posted publicly and sent you a private message per your instructions. Both were ignored. After your assiduousness it seemed as if the new questions may have touched a nerve.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:58 pm

Magical Trevor wrote:
lateralis wrote:
cron1834 wrote:

Unsurprising ad hom.

:lol: :lol:

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:17 pm

lateralis wrote:
sidhesadie wrote:I'm the 3L who offered to answer q's in this thread. First of all, with some reading comprehension, you'd see I said I probably wouldn't check this thread back, but to PM me.

This is all rather academic to me now that I have made the decision to not attend Lewis and Clark. But you deserve a response.

Yes, I recall the private messages and thanked you for your responses to my initial questions at that time. What I didn’t understand is why you avoided my final two questions. I posted publicly and sent you a private message per your instructions. Both were ignored. After your assiduousness it seemed as if the new questions may have touched a nerve.

I sent you the following second email, which although you're right, it didn't address your liberal/conservative split question, addressed your question about higher-prestige schools in the end section. It also answered additional questions you asked about our Dean stepping down, scholarships at the school, and whether I would choose L&C again. The only "nerve" touched is the fact that you are an entitled brat who thinks that even when someone takes the time, DURING FINALS prep, to write you two separate emails answering your questions, you are still entitled to MORE because that person did not answer a ridiculous question about the liberal/conservative "split" at the school. Which considering that this is an environmental law school in "KEEP PORTLAND WEIRD" Oregon, should have been self-answerable. Good luck in law school, buddy. And NOT choosing L&C was probably the correct choice. I don't think you'd fit in.

*****Second Email Response, 11/22****

I can tell you that my numbers were above the 75% for both LSAT and GPA, and this was back when both were higher. I also am a nontraditional student and had a compelling personal story.

I know they have given a few full rides. I don't know how many. I think they also give a handful of very generous scholarships, which leave you with, oh, about 5-8K to pay a year in tuition.

They give a LOT of 50%ish scholarships. I don't think they are tightening up any, but they've never been super generous (but again, that seems to be an Oregon thing, because U of O is the same way). I think Willamette gives more money, but a) they kind of suck now, and b) they stack the scholarship students in one section.

As for Dean Klonoff, no one knows. It came COMPLETELY out of the blue. We all got an email...maybe a month ago? Have NO idea why. They are currently doing the interview process with one of our professors. It is known that this professor has a lot of contacts with firms in the community, and so actually people are hopeful that she might result in improvement in the relationship between the school and employers. Given our proximity to PDX, it should be better than it is.

Would I still go here? Gosh, that's a tough choice. I would say, probably so. But I have family issues that make it more complicated. If I did not have those issues? If I were flexible about location (as in, where I work, not just where I go to law school), then I probably would have gone to one of the better ranked schools I got into (like Duke.) But if you want to come back to Oregon? The school you're looking at attending had better be significantly better ranked that L&C/U of O.
If you want to work in Oregon, I would not go to a similarly ranked midwestern school. You said you already have a full ride at the midwestern school- have you applied to L&C? Or are you thinking of waiting another year? Where do you live now? Would you be happy staying in the midwest?

I will say, although it's true this market is insular, employers here are prestige-chasers just like everywhere else. If you have the option to go to a much better ranked school elsewhere, and get an Art III clerkship out of it, do it.

Postby 052220151 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:08 am

ImageTURD ALERTImage

lateralis wrote:

lateralis

Postby lateralis » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:09 pm

Despite multiple attacks against my character in this thread perhaps the more observant among you have noticed that I have never once stooped so low as to denigrate another party.

Those who have attempted to vilify me epitomize the term little people.

Sayonara children. You are undeserving of suffrage.

Postby 052220151 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:15 pm

lateralis wrote:Despite multiple attacks against my character in this thread perhaps the more observant among you have noticed that I have never once stooped so low as to denigrate another party.

Those who have attempted to vilify me epitomize the term little people.

Sayonara children. You are undeserving of suffrage.

:D

Magical Trevor

Postby Magical Trevor » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:25 pm

I wonder who will have the privilege of referring to lateralis as ,"that one annoying douche in our class," next year.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:45 am

Magical Trevor wrote:I wonder who will have the privilege of referring to lateralis as ,"that one annoying douche in our class," next year.

Will be brutal.

Postby 052220151 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:54 pm

Magical Trevor wrote:I wonder who will have the privilege of referring to lateralis as ,"that one annoying douche in our class," next year.

Ad hom.

Postby 052220151 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:55 pm

cron1834 wrote:

Will be brutal.

Is this how you treat people who ask you questions?

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:06 pm

Stop denigrating my character!!!!1

Magical Trevor

Postby Magical Trevor » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:36 am

deputydog wrote:

Ad hom.

Hey... I said privilege....

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”