Lewis and Clark c/o 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MegamanX2

Re: Lewis and Clark c/o 2017

Postby MegamanX2 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:03 pm

In 3/6 with 32k. Anyone try negotiating scholarships with them yet?

I'm wondering the same thing. In with 34k, but I want more if I can get it. Likely will take the June LSAT and aim for a bump of 3-5 points, then try to negotiate for a full ride. If anyone's successfully negotiated let me know how you did it. Or if you tried and failed so I know what not to do ;)

rodmanhust

Postby rodmanhust » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:30 pm

in with 13k/yr for PT program.
also need to know whether nego. is possible.

Manteca

Postby Manteca » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:46 pm

So dumb question, but here it goes:

Just got an email from L&C saying they've finished reviewing my file but haven't made a decision yet, and I'm unlikely to find out until April/May. But most seat deposits are due April 15th...so what do I do? The school is definitely near the top of my list, Portland is a beautiful city.

vanburenboys

Postby vanburenboys » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:06 pm

jj1990 wrote:So dumb question, but here it goes:

Just got an email from L&C saying they've finished reviewing my file but haven't made a decision yet, and I'm unlikely to find out until April/May. But most seat deposits are due April 15th...so what do I do? The school is definitely near the top of my list, Portland is a beautiful city.

Well, it is worth asking your other schools for an extension. Otherwise, you might just have to bite the bullet and pay the seat deposit(s). I'm assuming you are going to be taking out thousands of dollars of loans in the near future, a seat deposit is just a drop in the bucket.

vanburenboys

Postby vanburenboys » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:21 pm

I'm assuming a large chunk of you plan on studying environmental law at L&C. What are your opinions on the debate between overall law school rank v. specialty program rank?

L&C obviously has one of best environmental law programs in the country, but does this translate to jobs in the field or are you better off going to a Top 25 school? If a lot of employers do heavily recruit from L&C for graduates with enviro. law experience, do a lot of graduates end up moving to a different state?

I think we can agree that you would have more opportunities in the environmental law field if you went to Yale or Berkeley, but what about a Notre Dame or William & Mary?

I know you generally want to attend a school in the state or region you want to work in, but I just wanted to get your guys' thoughts on specialty program rankings.

Thanks in advance.

alanjd

Postby alanjd » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:56 pm

Is anyone going to the preview day this Friday?

Shirosham

Postby Shirosham » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:11 pm

Yay! Just got email :D

lawschoolleigh

Postby lawschoolleigh » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:56 pm

Shirosham wrote:Yay! Just got email :D

Did you status date change a few days ago? Mine did and I haven't heard anything yet.

Shirosham

Postby Shirosham » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:39 pm

Mine was still stuck on complete after I got the email.

lawschoolleigh

Postby lawschoolleigh » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:29 pm

Shirosham wrote:Mine was still stuck on complete after I got the email.

Mine is still on complete as well, but the status date changed from the date the application was complete to March, 19th. Oh well -- I guess I need to learn some patience.

clemenza

Postby clemenza » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:10 am

jj1990 wrote:So dumb question, but here it goes:

i received this same notification and was extremely confused by it. I thought it was a waitlist, but they say that it isn't. Never heard of a secondary review before.

I plan on just paying the seat deposits at the other schools that are strong contenders at this point and withdrawing from those that are not.

dmitriygolos

Postby dmitriygolos » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:36 am

alanjd wrote:Is anyone going to the preview day this Friday?

I was there.. did you go?

lateralis

Postby lateralis » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:03 pm

dmitriygolos wrote:

Would you be willing to share your impression with those of us who couldn't attend either session?

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:12 pm

lateralis wrote:Would you be willing to share your impression with those of us who couldn't attend either session?

First things first...I'll be withdrawing tomorrow morning and putting a decent amount of money back into the pot. I was surprised with some of the schools I got into, and with my VA benefits most scholly money is wasted on me. Hopefully this helps someone out with either an admit or some $$$.

As for my impression? I really really enjoyed the visit. This was my first time in Oregon (other than stopover at airport), and the guy staring at me when I stopped at the gas station threw me off for a second. Didn't know I had to concede the pumping duties!

Anyway, I thought the city was awesome. The school really seemed to feed into the city, although there were some 2/3Ls lined up out of state as well. Alaska jobs, in fact, seemed to have a small contingent there. Still, you can get a very distinct "Portland" vibe as far as jobs. You could definitely tell the environmental focus there as well.

I know they've made a decision to cut class sizes, which I'm sure is mainly market driven. Still, they mentioned this was a distinct effort on their part.

Overall, if I knew I wanted to stay in Oregon/Washington/Alaska (I guess)/maybe Idaho and I got some good $$$ to attend, it wouldn't be a bad option. Just realize that the LST numbers aren't dazzling, but there are certainly comparably-ranked schools that do much worse.

Any other questions, feel free to PM.

lateralis

Postby lateralis » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:22 pm

Soco Law wrote:
lateralis wrote:Would you be willing to share your impression with those of us who couldn't attend either session?

First things first...I'll be withdrawing tomorrow morning and putting a decent amount of money back into the pot. I was surprised with some of the schools I got into, and with my VA benefits most scholly money is wasted on me. Hopefully this helps someone out with either an admit or some $$$.

As for my impression? I really really enjoyed the visit. This was my first time in Oregon (other than stopover at airport), and the guy staring at me when I stopped at the gas station threw me off for a second. Didn't know I had to concede the pumping duties!

Anyway, I thought the city was awesome. The school really seemed to feed into the city, although there were some 2/3Ls lined up out of state as well. Alaska jobs, in fact, seemed to have a small contingent there. Still, you can get a very distinct "Portland" vibe as far as jobs. You could definitely tell the environmental focus there as well.

I know they've made a decision to cut class sizes, which I'm sure is mainly market driven. Still, they mentioned this was a distinct effort on their part.

Overall, if I knew I wanted to stay in Oregon/Washington/Alaska (I guess)/maybe Idaho and I got some good $$$ to attend, it wouldn't be a bad option. Just realize that the LST numbers aren't dazzling, but there are certainly comparably-ranked schools that do much worse.

Any other questions, feel free to PM.

Thanks!

lateralis

Postby lateralis » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:29 pm

I have to say it was a real turn-off when a 3L posted ITT about answering questions and then proceeded to ignore the questions I posed over three months ago here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=221354#p7328876

Makes one wonder just how 1) well L&C students do compete with the T14 kids and 2) ideologically-diverse the school is.

Or maybe saying he/she will not check back here and that we should PM is just a convenient way to ignore the tough questions in private? In any case, not the kind of thing you would like to see as a prospective student. Doesn't speak well for the school.

Here they are again:

1) Are the top students at Lewis & Clark competitive in the Oregon market with top students from the top schools who have ties? I mean literally, #1-5 in your class, are they able to compete with, say, top 10% at CCNVMPBDCN? I know Portland firms seem to have many Lewis & Clark alumni but I have heard that more and more of the Chicago/Virginia/Cornell-type crowd with ties are coming home because of Portland's quality of life.

2) What is the liberal/conservative split? The TLS profile says L & C is far to the left which is fine by me as long as both viewpoints on any given issue are at least mentioned in the classroom. Are they in your experience?

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:35 pm

lateralis wrote:I have to say it was a real turn-off when a 3L posted ITT about answering questions and then proceeded to ignore the questions I posed over three months ago here:

Makes one wonder just how 1) well L&C students do compete with the T14 kids and 2) ideologically-diverse the school is.

Or maybe saying he/she will not check back here and that we should PM is just a convenient way to ignore the tough questions in private? In any case, not the kind of thing you would like to see as a prospective student. Doesn't speak well for the school.

Here they are again:

1) Are the top students at Lewis & Clark competitive in the Oregon market with top students from the top schools who have ties? I mean literally, #1-5 in your class, are they able to compete with, say, top 10% at CCNVMPBDCN? I know Portland firms seem to have many Lewis & Clark alumni but I have heard that more and more of the Chicago/Virginia/Cornell-type crowd with ties are coming home because of Portland's quality of life.

2) What is the liberal/conservative split? The TLS profile says L & C is far to the left which is fine by me as long as both viewpoints on any given issue are at least mentioned in the classroom. Are they in your experience?

You come across as if someone OWES YOU the favor of answering these questions. Random students who post here do so on their own time and are not obligated to carry water for the school. Get a grip.

lateralis

Postby lateralis » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:16 pm

cron1834 wrote:
lateralis wrote:I have to say it was a real turn-off when a 3L posted ITT about answering questions and then proceeded to ignore the questions I posed over three months ago here:

Here they are again:

You come across as if someone OWES YOU the favor of answering these questions. Random students who post here do so on their own time and are not obligated to carry water for the school. Get a grip.

Unsurprising ad hom.

pastaparty

Postby pastaparty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:32 pm

Accepted, but withdrawing soon. Applied mid-feburary, heard back a few days ago. No scholarship, but with my numbers that's not surprising. Congrats to the person who gets my spot. Wish I could go, but Portland is just too impractical for my current life situation. I couldn't resist applying, though. Just in case, and such is the case, I got in to many of these "just in case" schools, which is making my decision that much harder!

3.8 degree GPA/3.1 Cumulative GPA/155 LSAT/somewhat non-traditional student. PM if you want more detailed info.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:24 pm

lateralis wrote:
cron1834 wrote:

Here they are again:

Unsurprising ad hom.

You aren't getting it. Current students don't owe you anything, that's your mistake. Ad-hom has nothing to do with this.

alanjd

Postby alanjd » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:50 am

lateralis wrote:
dmitriygolos wrote:

Would you be willing to share your impression with those of us who couldn't attend either session?

My apologies for not responding sooner; things have been crazy on my end for the past couple of weeks.

First of all, I have to say that these preview days are made to make you want to go to their school. So, they do everything in their power to make their best pitch. I imagine that this is true from the top to the bottom of the law school ladder.

Having said that, their pitch worked on me. L&C was not my first choice, but after last Friday I feel more confident about possibly putting my deposit down tomorrow. It really is a great school and it has a great learning environment that seems competitive but not overly so. To me, one of the most compelling aspects of the day was the fact that over 40 staff and faculty members showed up to take part in the day. A few of them gave mock lectures or presentations but I think many of them were just there to have lunch with the attendees and answer questions about the school and the different programs. A number of current students also participated and gave their perspective about the school.

I also really enjoyed visiting the school and getting to interact with potential future classmates. If you are seriously considering the school, take some time to visit and the city. As for me, it looks like I will be sending my deposit their way tomorrow. Please let me know if anyone has any questions.

Postby 052220151 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:54 am

lateralis wrote:
cron1834 wrote:

Here they are again:

Unsurprising ad hom.

bro he is just telling you to chill out because you're coming across as a turd. that's not ad hom, that's how it is dude. to answer your questions:

1) Top 1-10 (maybe a little below that too) at L&C are fine for getting jobs at any of the top firms in Portland, but they aren't competitive with the top 10% of T14, they are competitive with median and below T14 students with ties. top 10% of a T14 is coming back here for A3 clerkships and the best associate gigs (perkins, dwt, stoel, etc). Going to L&C with your heart set on a gig at one of these firms is going to be incredibly difficult, especially if you're ties aren't airtight, or if you don't have some sort of other factor in your favor (strong WE, diversity, IP/Chinese/Japanese, etc.). If you are Portland "biglaw" or bust, your best bet is to retake and go to a better school.

2) This is a silly consideration. You're in one of the most liberal cities in America, the LS and campus as a whole is liberal. But, there are conservatives there and in the city at large. You should be more concerned with career outcomes and cost rather than something that won't affect those.

zephyr12

Postby zephyr12 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:53 am

rodmanhust wrote:in with 13k/yr for PT program.

Negotiation is definitely possible. I was accepted and offered 32k/year but recently decided to withdraw. This is part of the e-mail I got after they received my withdrawal:

"I am sorry that you have decided not to attend Lewis & Clark Law School. If you feel that L&C is a great fit for you, but something is holding you back that we can change, please let us know as we would like to make it possible for you to attend."

I took that to mean "if it's a full ride you want, make the ask." L&C made by the strongest offer to me of it peer schools. I think they are being really aggressive about moving up in the rankings and raising their medians so negotiating is more possible with them than most schools, I would think.

lateralis

Postby lateralis » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:34 pm

cron1834 wrote:
You aren't getting it. Current students don't owe you anything, that's your mistake. Ad-hom has nothing to do with this.

You are attacking the guy making the post instead of the contents of the post itself. And that you did this was and remains unsurprising.

I never said anyone owes me anything. I intimated that if one assumes the role as ambassador for one's school by making a public offer of advice one should do one's damnedest to fulfill that role.

deputydog wrote:
bro he is just telling you to chill out because you're coming across as a turd. that's not ad hom, that's how it is dude. to answer your questions:

1) Top 1-10 (maybe a little below that too) at L&C are fine for getting jobs at any of the top firms in Portland, but they aren't competitive with the top 10% of T14, they are competitive with median and below T14 students with ties. top 10% of a T14 is coming back here for A3 clerkships and the best associate gigs (perkins, dwt, stoel, etc). Going to L&C with your heart set on a gig at one of these firms is going to be incredibly difficult, especially if you're ties aren't airtight, or if you don't have some sort of other factor in your favor (strong WE, diversity, IP/Chinese/Japanese, etc.). If you are Portland "biglaw" or bust, your best bet is to Good luck! Follow your dreams! and go to a better school.

2) This is a silly consideration. You're in one of the most liberal cities in America, the LS and campus as a whole is liberal. But, there are conservatives there and in the city at large. You should be more concerned with career outcomes and cost rather than something that won't affect those.

Thanks. Scatologic comment notwithstanding.

lateralis

Postby lateralis » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:35 pm

zephyr12 wrote:
rodmanhust wrote:in with 13k/yr for PT program.

Negotiation is definitely possible. I was accepted and offered 32k/year but recently decided to withdraw. This is part of the e-mail I got after they received my withdrawal:

"I am sorry that you have decided not to attend Lewis & Clark Law School. If you feel that L&C is a great fit for you, but something is holding you back that we can change, please let us know as we would like to make it possible for you to attend."

I took that to mean "if it's a full ride you want, make the ask." L&C made by the strongest offer to me of it peer schools. I think they are being really aggressive about moving up in the rankings and raising their medians so negotiating is more possible with them than most schools, I would think.

32k to full ride is quite a jump. What makes you think that is within the realm of possibility? LSN shows 35k is the highest this cycle.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”