Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
JNE
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby JNE » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:10 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:
JNE wrote:One last question though... I got into Loyola with only a $15K scholly & got into Kent with a $60K scholly. What do you believe the wise choice is in this scenario? (Assuming Loyola is not willing to negotiate).


Are there requirements to keep these? I assume those are totals right? so 5K per year for Loyola and 20K per year for CK?
No GPA requirements? I ask because I know CK at one point had good scholarships that required you to be in top 10% of your class to keep it. I have a Loyola scholly with no GPA requirement. (Haven't heard from CK yet)
I would definitely visit and weigh in a LOT of factors other than scholarship.


Yes leigh912198972, those are TOTAL scholarship amounts automatically renewed with absolutely no GPA requirement for Kent and as long as I stay in good academic standing w/ 2.0 at Loyola (but I don't think this counts? does it?). I have briefly visited Loyola already however I definitely plan on thoroughly visiting both schools next month. I'm sure I will get more of a feel for which school I prefer, but let's be honest... $$$ is a MAJOR deciding factor, at least for me. :P

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:32 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:
JNE wrote:One last question though... I got into Loyola with only a $15K scholly & got into Kent with a $60K scholly. What do you believe the wise choice is in this scenario? (Assuming Loyola is not willing to negotiate).


Are there requirements to keep these? I assume those are totals right? so 5K per year for Loyola and 20K per year for CK?
No GPA requirements? I ask because I know CK at one point had good scholarships that required you to be in top 10% of your class to keep it. I have a Loyola scholly with no GPA requirement. (Haven't heard from CK yet)
I would definitely visit and weigh in a LOT of factors other than scholarship.



After not feeling "right" at Kent, of course they admitted me and offered a really good scholarship with no stipulations. So I will definitely have to reconsider and possibly visit again?
How are you guys' decisions coming along?

User avatar
JNE
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby JNE » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:23 am

leigh912198972 wrote:
leigh912198972 wrote:
JNE wrote:One last question though... I got into Loyola with only a $15K scholly & got into Kent with a $60K scholly. What do you believe the wise choice is in this scenario? (Assuming Loyola is not willing to negotiate).


Are there requirements to keep these? I assume those are totals right? so 5K per year for Loyola and 20K per year for CK?
No GPA requirements? I ask because I know CK at one point had good scholarships that required you to be in top 10% of your class to keep it. I have a Loyola scholly with no GPA requirement. (Haven't heard from CK yet)
I would definitely visit and weigh in a LOT of factors other than scholarship.



After not feeling "right" at Kent, of course they admitted me and offered a really good scholarship with no stipulations. So I will definitely have to reconsider and possibly visit again?
How are you guys' decisions coming along?


YUP! See. That's the situation I'm in! It's a tough one. I'm leaning more towards Kent. Not to be rude, but with only gut feelings and Loyola's undergrad being larger, money becomes a larger issue for me. 60K v. 15K.. Kent wins. When looking at rank: They're higher (~10 spots) higher, Kent wins. Their bar passage rate is 93%, which is just slightly higher than Loyola's. Kent wins.

I'm STILL sitting here scratching my head as to why they have such a bad reputation on here even when compared to a peer school like Loyola! It's silly. Feel free to enlighten me. Is it because their class is usually all commuter (aka non-traditional, aka OLDER students) that turns people off from this school??

leigh, please let me know how your decision-making goes. Just giving you my train of thought for this decision.

Psy123
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Psy123 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:42 pm

JNE wrote:
leigh912198972 wrote:
leigh912198972 wrote:
JNE wrote:One last question though... I got into Loyola with only a $15K scholly & got into Kent with a $60K scholly. What do you believe the wise choice is in this scenario? (Assuming Loyola is not willing to negotiate).


Are there requirements to keep these? I assume those are totals right? so 5K per year for Loyola and 20K per year for CK?
No GPA requirements? I ask because I know CK at one point had good scholarships that required you to be in top 10% of your class to keep it. I have a Loyola scholly with no GPA requirement. (Haven't heard from CK yet)
I would definitely visit and weigh in a LOT of factors other than scholarship.



After not feeling "right" at Kent, of course they admitted me and offered a really good scholarship with no stipulations. So I will definitely have to reconsider and possibly visit again?
How are you guys' decisions coming along?


YUP! See. That's the situation I'm in! It's a tough one. I'm leaning more towards Kent. Not to be rude, but with only gut feelings and Loyola's undergrad being larger, money becomes a larger issue for me. 60K v. 15K.. Kent wins. When looking at rank: They're higher (~10 spots) higher, Kent wins. Their bar passage rate is 93%, which is just slightly higher than Loyola's. Kent wins.

I'm STILL sitting here scratching my head as to why they have such a bad reputation on here even when compared to a peer school like Loyola! It's silly. Feel free to enlighten me. Is it because their class is usually all commuter (aka non-traditional, aka OLDER students) that turns people off from this school??

leigh, please let me know how your decision-making goes. Just giving you my train of thought for this decision.


I don't think Kent has a worse reputation than Loyola on this site, id say most would place them as about equal. Name recognition could make Loyola more talked about, but i don't think you'll find anyone say Loyola is a better choice. In fact based on what I've seen id say the opposite. Often people say Loyola/Kent/Depaul are all at the same level, although depaul seems to have dropped to be more with John Marshall. Because of the fact that these schools don't have the best employment prospects and are basically the same, Scholarship really should be the deciding factor when choosing between the two. Both places will basically get you the same opportunities for jobs once you graduate, so its really down to how much debt you want to have once you get out.

User avatar
chewy13
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:32 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby chewy13 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:04 pm

in with $96,000 scholly :D if only COA wasn't so high

magjag
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:04 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby magjag » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:20 pm

chewy13 wrote:in with $96,000 scholly :D if only COA wasn't so high

very nice... congratulations! that would be a full ride yeah? not heard from 'em yet. hopefully soon.

User avatar
Ditka747
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:02 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Ditka747 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:22 pm

[/quote] I don't think Kent has a worse reputation than Loyola on this site, id say most would place them as about equal. Name recognition could make Loyola more talked about, but i don't think you'll find anyone say Loyola is a better choice. In fact based on what I've seen id say the opposite. Often people say Loyola/Kent/Depaul are all at the same level, although depaul seems to have dropped to be more with John Marshall. Because of the fact that these schools don't have the best employment prospects and are basically the same, Scholarship really should be the deciding factor when choosing between the two. Both places will basically get you the same opportunities for jobs once you graduate, so its really down to how much debt you want to have once you get out.[/quote]

Be easy on DePaul, they actually have the most amount of lawyers working in Chicago. I'm assuming the vast majority of them aren't Biglaw, but at least they have jobs.

Is anyone going to go to the Loyola Merit Scholarship dinner? The fancy invitation makes it a bit more enticing.

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:32 pm

chewy13 wrote:in with $96,000 scholly :D if only COA wasn't so high


That's a sweet scholarship!
Not a full ride, but still a good chunk!

I think I will be attending the dinner...just depends on if I have to travel for work...

Psy123
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Psy123 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:56 pm

Ditka747 wrote:
I don't think Kent has a worse reputation than Loyola on this site, id say most would place them as about equal. Name recognition could make Loyola more talked about, but i don't think you'll find anyone say Loyola is a better choice. In fact based on what I've seen id say the opposite. Often people say Loyola/Kent/Depaul are all at the same level, although depaul seems to have dropped to be more with John Marshall. Because of the fact that these schools don't have the best employment prospects and are basically the same, Scholarship really should be the deciding factor when choosing between the two. Both places will basically get you the same opportunities for jobs once you graduate, so its really down to how much debt you want to have once you get out.


Be easy on DePaul, they actually have the most amount of lawyers working in Chicago. I'm assuming the vast majority of them aren't Biglaw, but at least they have jobs.

Is anyone going to go to the Loyola Merit Scholarship dinner? The fancy invitation makes it a bit more enticing.


Im just basing it on recent job numbers on LST, there is a reason they dropped out of the top 100

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:31 pm

So, I am getting really excited about Loyola. I have toured once and read just about everything they've sent me and the entire website.

One thing I am really annoyed/tired of (let me get up on my soap box here) is how many people there are on this site that think you need to attend a T14 school or ELSE. (ELSE meaning you will probably graduate with no job, tons of loans, end up homeless and diseased, and die.) They act like it's the end of the world to attend a school like Loyola since the name doesn't hold the same recognition as Harvard.

I'm not a professional lawyer so I can't speak for the law world, but I find this extremely narrow-minded and I am sooo tired of it. Your school is just one part (I know, a big part) of what makes you a good/bad lawyer in three years. It's definitely a big, big percentage of that, yes -- but so are your people skills, your passion, how hard you work at meeting new people/making good connections, what field of law you're interested in, where you want to work, how you sell yourself, and the list goes on...

Anyway. I wanted to stand up for what is most likely my future school, Loyola. It's a wonderful place and very welcoming. I appreciate how much they make me feel like they value me. That is more than I can say for many schools with higher rankings.

DONE ranting. :shock:

User avatar
JNE
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby JNE » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:57 am

leigh912198972 wrote:So, I am getting really excited about Loyola. I have toured once and read just about everything they've sent me and the entire website.

One thing I am really annoyed/tired of (let me get up on my soap box here) is how many people there are on this site that think you need to attend a T14 school or ELSE. (ELSE meaning you will probably graduate with no job, tons of loans, end up homeless and diseased, and die.) They act like it's the end of the world to attend a school like Loyola since the name doesn't hold the same recognition as Harvard.

I'm not a professional lawyer so I can't speak for the law world, but I find this extremely narrow-minded and I am sooo tired of it. Your school is just one part (I know, a big part) of what makes you a good/bad lawyer in three years. It's definitely a big, big percentage of that, yes -- but so are your people skills, your passion, how hard you work at meeting new people/making good connections, what field of law you're interested in, where you want to work, how you sell yourself, and the list goes on...

Anyway. I wanted to stand up for what is most likely my future school, Loyola. It's a wonderful place and very welcoming. I appreciate how much they make me feel like they value me. That is more than I can say for many schools with higher rankings.

DONE ranting. :shock:


Amen. If there was a clapping emoji on here... I would be using it.

WheninLaw
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby WheninLaw » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:13 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:So, I am getting really excited about Loyola. I have toured once and read just about everything they've sent me and the entire website.

One thing I am really annoyed/tired of (let me get up on my soap box here) is how many people there are on this site that think you need to attend a T14 school or ELSE. (ELSE meaning you will probably graduate with no job, tons of loans, end up homeless and diseased, and die.) They act like it's the end of the world to attend a school like Loyola since the name doesn't hold the same recognition as Harvard.

I'm not a professional lawyer so I can't speak for the law world, but I find this extremely narrow-minded and I am sooo tired of it. Your school is just one part (I know, a big part) of what makes you a good/bad lawyer in three years. It's definitely a big, big percentage of that, yes -- but so are your people skills, your passion, how hard you work at meeting new people/making good connections, what field of law you're interested in, where you want to work, how you sell yourself, and the list goes on...

Anyway. I wanted to stand up for what is most likely my future school, Loyola. It's a wonderful place and very welcoming. I appreciate how much they make me feel like they value me. That is more than I can say for many schools with higher rankings.

DONE ranting. :shock:


I was browsing this thread because my cousin is thinking of attending Loyola. Normally I would not say anything, but you are grossly misquoting 'TLS Wisdom.' Nobody ever said that you have to go to Harvard in order to be a good lawyer. That would be insane. I think the quality of lawyers that come out of Loyola is near any t-14 school. The concern is regarding the chance to be a lawyer at all coming out of Loyola.

Psy123
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Psy123 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:17 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:So, I am getting really excited about Loyola. I have toured once and read just about everything they've sent me and the entire website.

One thing I am really annoyed/tired of (let me get up on my soap box here) is how many people there are on this site that think you need to attend a T14 school or ELSE. (ELSE meaning you will probably graduate with no job, tons of loans, end up homeless and diseased, and die.) They act like it's the end of the world to attend a school like Loyola since the name doesn't hold the same recognition as Harvard.

I'm not a professional lawyer so I can't speak for the law world, but I find this extremely narrow-minded and I am sooo tired of it. Your school is just one part (I know, a big part) of what makes you a good/bad lawyer in three years. It's definitely a big, big percentage of that, yes -- but so are your people skills, your passion, how hard you work at meeting new people/making good connections, what field of law you're interested in, where you want to work, how you sell yourself, and the list goes on...

Anyway. I wanted to stand up for what is most likely my future school, Loyola. It's a wonderful place and very welcoming. I appreciate how much they make me feel like they value me. That is more than I can say for many schools with higher rankings.

DONE ranting. :shock:


Most wont tell you T14 or bust, everyone talks about schools based on the job outcomes these schools are producing at graduation as seen on LST. These numbers tell you what is actually happening to students at these schools. Of course where you go isn't 100% of what kind of career you will have, but the numbers don't lie. Btw, I wont be attending a T14 either...

Don't blind yourself to the truth, its important to know the full situation when attending law school, and that is all that the people on here want to help with.

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:20 pm

To the two posters above:

I am not trying to blind myself, and I am certainly not quoting anyone. All I am saying is that I have seen a certain attitude. Though that attitude MAY just be based off the employment numbers on LST, it doesn't feel that way. I have gotten PM's completely unsolicited about this that have made me feel very inferior just because I am strongly considering Loyola.

I know that people mean well. I am not trying to call anyone out or be a bitch.
Simply just ranting about how I do feel there is a superiority complex in some people based on school rankings. NOT EVERYONE is like that. A lot of people on this site rock. And that's why I come on everyday! Most people are just freaking great.

But some people really do make it seem like if you're not in a T14 school, you're doomed. I am simply saying that that attitude is not constructive, it's insulting.

User avatar
D2142
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:56 am

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby D2142 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:39 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:To the two posters above:

I am not trying to blind myself, and I am certainly not quoting anyone. All I am saying is that I have seen a certain attitude. Though that attitude MAY just be based off the employment numbers on LST, it doesn't feel that way. I have gotten PM's completely unsolicited about this that have made me feel very inferior just because I am strongly considering Loyola.

I know that people mean well. I am not trying to call anyone out or be a bitch.
Simply just ranting about how I do feel there is a superiority complex in some people based on school rankings. NOT EVERYONE is like that. A lot of people on this site rock. And that's why I come on everyday! Most people are just freaking great.

But some people really do make it seem like if you're not in a T14 school, you're doomed. I am simply saying that that attitude is not constructive, it's insulting.



We get it, you have been blowing up this thread trying to make your point.

Look at the threads in this section of the forums ("Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists"). When you look at the schools that have the most posts and most activity it becomes apparent what types of individuals (defined by their LSAT and GPA) your going to find on this website. Obviously with a large community of people who can get into the T14 you are going to find some that look down on schools like Loyola, DePaul, and Kent.

Save yourself the energy and just ignore it. Some people come onto the internet to argue or push a point without ever having to be accountable for what they say. I would be happy going to DePaul, Loyola, Kent, or U of I and I accept that. We shouldn't kid ourselves though, at those schools we have a tough 3 years ahead of us, just look at the employment stats. If you think you can do it then go for it, but if you think the risks outweigh the potential rewards then don't go.

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:47 pm

D2142, I commend you. That was well put.

Ranting done. Go Loyola.
Anyone else have scholarship or application updates?

mcatt
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby mcatt » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:26 pm

My decision came in today. Waitlisted :/ I'll stay on but that tuition is pretty expensive. We shall see.

User avatar
D2142
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:56 am

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby D2142 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:34 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:D2142, I commend you. That was well put.

Ranting done. Go Loyola.
Anyone else have scholarship or application updates?



Sorry if that came off as harsh. In any event congrats on your acceptances and good luck with the rest of the cycle.

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:38 pm

Anyone apply for scholarships that were due this past Saturday?
I applied for a fellowship and the Kenneth Adreani Scholarship.

User avatar
tjsmms061906
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby tjsmms061906 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:29 pm

Freeing up a slot with my withdrawal. Good luck.

rpollock11
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby rpollock11 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:04 pm

In with 27k scholarship per year

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby BankruptMe » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:54 am

Just applied. they have a 50%+ employment rate. So it was worth the 25 dollars.

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:38 pm

Just RSVP'ed to the Scholarship Dinner on the 20th. Anyone else going?

kjm4815
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby kjm4815 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:27 pm

I'm going! I know my dad wanted to go but is it just for admitted students?

Psy123
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: Loyola Chicago c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby Psy123 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:27 pm

withdrew today so a spot and some scholarship money should be opening up for someone soon!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lillawyer2, mm2368, notsolawful and 8 guests