UConn c/o 2017 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
scp08004

New

Re: UConn c/o 2017 Applicants

Post by scp08004 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:11 pm

PattyCake wrote:
scp08004 wrote:Got the Dean's Scholarship for 15k. I'm pretty stoked that it covers most of in-state PT tuition.
Did you get the email today or yesterday?[/quote

Yesterday, now I just have to apply for aid and life will be pretty fantastic.

PattyCake

Bronze

Post by PattyCake » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:18 pm

Emailed to update my application with my Feb LSAT score and request consideration for a scholarship - received Dean's Scholarship for $20K! Has anyone received any need-based award notifications yet?
Last edited by PattyCake on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:25 pm

Greetings, eager UConn prospects! I am a recent alumnus. Feel free to ask me stuff.

PattyCake

Bronze

Post by PattyCake » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:07 pm

Thanks for answering questions! How are the faculty/classes overall? Did you graduate with a job lined up? Would you say there's a general level of satisfaction for your whole class? Did you live close to the school? Do many students receive significant need-based financial aid (other than loans). Feel free to answer as many or as few of these as you want. Thanks again!

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:53 pm

PattyCake wrote:Thanks for answering questions! How are the faculty/classes overall? Did you graduate with a job lined up? Would you say there's a general level of satisfaction for your whole class? Did you live close to the school? Do many students receive significant need-based financial aid (other than loans). Feel free to answer as many or as few of these as you want. Thanks again!
1) faculty and classes are generally fantastic. A few bad experiences but generally there are really amazing educators at uconn. After your first year you can control who you want to work with, so you can kind of avoid the few duds.

2) no/kind of. I went the public interest route and had sort of a unique situation. Had an offer by early august after graduation though.

3) I think my whole class feels generally satisfied, but plenty of us are still trying to land jobs even now. That's the reality of the legal hiring market.

4) first year I lived close. 2L and 3L I moved about 30 minutes away. The benefits of living close aren't that great. You learn pretty quickly that there's no need to actually be on campus or in the library while you're studying.

5) yeah I think a fair amount? Not really sure what other people's situations were.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tennislover8

New

Post by Tennislover8 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:06 pm

Void wrote:
PattyCake wrote:Thanks for answering questions! How are the faculty/classes overall? Did you graduate with a job lined up? Would you say there's a general level of satisfaction for your whole class? Did you live close to the school? Do many students receive significant need-based financial aid (other than loans). Feel free to answer as many or as few of these as you want. Thanks again!
1) faculty and classes are generally fantastic. A few bad experiences but generally there are really amazing educators at uconn. After your first year you can control who you want to work with, so you can kind of avoid the few duds.

2) no/kind of. I went the public interest route and had sort of a unique situation. Had an offer by early august after graduation though.

3) I think my whole class feels generally satisfied, but plenty of us are still trying to land jobs even now. That's the reality of the legal hiring market.

4) first year I lived close. 2L and 3L I moved about 30 minutes away. The benefits of living close aren't that great. You learn pretty quickly that there's no need to actually be on campus or in the library while you're studying.

5) yeah I think a fair amount? Not really sure what other people's situations were.
Thanks for answering questions! A couple more...

1. Do you/did you like living in hartford/W Hartford for school? A good vibe on the weekends?

2. Do most of the people you graduated with end up in Connecticut after graduation? Specifically Hartford or gravitating down towards towards NY/Greenwich area?

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:29 am

Thanks for answering questions! A couple more...

1. Do you/did you like living in hartford/W Hartford for school? A good vibe on the weekends?

2. Do most of the people you graduated with end up in Connecticut after graduation? Specifically Hartford or gravitating down towards towards NY/Greenwich area?[/quote]

1. The area is really what you make of it. If you want to focus on the negative, there's no shortage of things to complain about in Hartford. But there are plenty of bars, restaurants, movie theaters, beautiful public parks, paved biking paths alongside rivers, etc. I'm not sure what you mean by "a good vibe," but again, the weekends are what you make of them. If you want to have a big house party, those kinds of things definitely happen. If you're looking to tear up the town and go stumbling in the street at 3AM with 20 friends, probably not. It's Hartford.

2. Yes. I would say pretty well scattered between Hartford, New Haven, and random other places in the state. I actually don't know many people in Fairfield County and as far as NYC goes, definitely rare. Massachusetts is probably the second most common landing area for graduates, and my guess is that we have more alumni in Boston than NYC.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:36 am

Void, what type of public interest work do you do? Did you gun for it through 1L and 2L summers? Feel free to pm me if you'd rather! Thanks!

PattyCake

Bronze

Post by PattyCake » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 am

JustHawkin wrote:Void, what type of public interest work do you do? Did you gun for it through 1L and 2L summers? Feel free to pm me if you'd rather! Thanks!
I'm interested, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:59 am

Still waiting.

Under the review since the 4th. I have boxes that says 1st deposit 0.00 and 2nd deposit 0.00

calmenda

New

Post by calmenda » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:07 am

I submitted in November. I still have not heard back.

rodmanhust

New

Post by rodmanhust » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:21 am

Hi fellow applicants ~
admitted a couple of weeks ago
interested in IP law, but as I checked:
there is nothing in Hartford or anywhere close with any sizable IP firm!
thoughts?

rodmanhust

New

Post by rodmanhust » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:22 am

rodmanhust wrote:Hi fellow applicants ~
thoughts?
btw, I know NYC is there;
but for PT program, commute is too far.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:36 am

rodmanhust wrote:
thoughts?
I think if you go to UConn, you should bank on CT...or maybe Mass...not so much nyc..if you want that you should go to school there

calmenda

New

Post by calmenda » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:41 am

It seems Uconn has a very strong reputation in CT and New England but when I search firm websites in NY by school there are some Uconn grads but not many. It's a great choice if you plan on staying in New England.

PattyCake

Bronze

Post by PattyCake » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:54 am

BankruptMe wrote:Still waiting.

Under the review since the 4th. I have boxes that says 1st deposit 0.00 and 2nd deposit 0.00
Your status will change to "decision made" and you'll have amounts in those boxes if you're in. My email went to spam, btw. it'll come from their lsac email account, which shows up under the same admin's name as your e-blasts. So will any scholarship email, even if it's sent and signed by a dean.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:35 pm

BankruptMe wrote:
rodmanhust wrote:
thoughts?
I think if you go to UConn, you should bank on CT...or maybe Mass...not so much nyc..if you want that you should go to school there
This is the truth.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:39 pm

JustHawkin wrote:Void, what type of public interest work do you do? Did you gun for it through 1L and 2L summers? Feel free to pm me if you'd rather! Thanks!
Litigation at state agency. I "gunned for it" in the sense that I devoted almost everything I did in law school to similar fields. If you're asking whether I got the job because I wanted it or I just kind of ended up there, definitely the former.

I don't know a single person in a public interest position who graduated within the last 5 years who wasn't incredibly dedicated/"gunning" for public interest throughout law school. Definitely not a fall back option, as it might have been 10 years ago.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:42 pm

calmenda wrote:It seems Uconn has a very strong reputation in CT and New England but when I search firm websites in NY by school there are some Uconn grads but not many. It's a great choice if you plan on staying in New England.
Great choice if you're staying in CT. Good choice for Massachusetts (although if you desperately want boston I would actually recommend a lower-ranked boston school). Decent choice for the rest of New England. Bad choice for anywhere else.

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:32 pm

Any word?

Also, look at this. She seems to have a favorable outcome and isnt in big law. And she has a TV show coming on tonight lol

http://today.uconn.edu/blog/2014/03/def ... lity-show/

calmenda

New

Post by calmenda » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:04 am

Have any part time applicants heard back? I submitted in November and have yet to hear back.

I am an in-state applicant.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PattyCake

Bronze

Post by PattyCake » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Anyone heard about need-based yet?

scp08004

New

Post by scp08004 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:34 am

thoughts?

I know there's a firm in Hartford that does a lot of patent work, it's Cantor Colbourn. Also, I've spoken to several larger firms in the downtown area, and while they may not specialize solely in IP they do have pretty strong IP practice teams. Shipman and Goodwin is one of these and I know they participate in OCI at UCONN.

scp08004

New

Post by scp08004 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:37 am

PattyCake wrote:Anyone heard about need-based yet?

When did you apply for it? I actually have yet to apply but I really have to, also slacking on FAFSA :(

PattyCake

Bronze

Post by PattyCake » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:41 am

scp08004 wrote:
PattyCake wrote:Anyone heard about need-based yet?

When did you apply for it? I actually have yet to apply but I really have to, also slacking on FAFSA :(
I applied mid-February, finalized it end of February (I had to estimate until I finished my taxes). They're supposed to be reviewing this week, but I can't sign into the student administration page to see if it posted yet. Waiting for Husky IT to call me back because they weren't able to get me into the system yesterday.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”