Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RunningFeatherFinish

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby RunningFeatherFinish » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:00 am

Anyone have luck negotiating schollys yet? In particular with Philadelphia area offers (excluding UPenn)?

1Lmatic

Postby 1Lmatic » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:12 pm

Anybody who got a scholarship and is concerned about stips: I just talked to one of their admissions people and he said this year they were lowering it from 3.0 to 2.0 (AKA good academic standing). So that's a relief.

Squintz805

Postby Squintz805 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:51 pm

I'm from Los Angeles, and just attended their Open House at the University Park Campus.

I have to say, Penn State really seems to be on their game. The law school ranking jumped from 65th to 51st on US News Report and I can see why. The students, especially the 2L's and 3L's all have a great attitude, and they seem to have this comprehensive goal to make the law school better than when they first entered as a 1L. The professors and staff are friendly, straight to the point, and really don't try to make the school sound like something it isn't - which is pretty refreshing. If things stay this way, I can only see Penn State ranking better and better in the following years and becoming a more established+credible law school. However, there is a lot of issues with their dual campus that bears mentioning, I'll talk more about this below

Granted, I am very skeptical about a lot of things - but at this point I am confident the pros of Penn State greatly outweigh the cons (in my case, at least). I am 95% sure I will be attending University Park in the Fall and will leave my advice for people considering the school.

Pros:
- Grants/Scholarships. This school is practically handing them out like candy and by the time I graduate I will only have $20k out in loans. Plus, the stipulation on the scholarship is Good Academic Standing. If you can't maintain this, law school probably wasn't for you in the first place.
- Alumni Base. They are literally everywhere. Nationally and Internationally. If your smart, and know what your doing -- you have the capabilities of practicing law anywhere. To succeed, imo you better start planning it out even before you start your 1L.
- College Town Community+People. Idk about everyone else, but I live for the college town atmosphere. It makes me feel at home, and puts me in that scholarly mindset. After attending UCSB, this is something I really want to have. Everyone I met so far has been awesome and I could probably talk about the town all day. Also, you can't beat the distractions when you can get away from school. The football team, downtown, and everything else makes this a great way to get away.
- Lewis Katz Building. Amazing facility to acquire a legal education and study.
- Professors/Staff. Obviously your not attending the HYS schools, but they all have strong legal+educational backgrounds and seem helpful in getting you towards your legal+professional goals.
- Externship/Clerkships/Internships/Summer Abroad. They have a wealth of opportunities for those seeking to get some International and Big City experience.

Cons. I'd be lying if I said they didn't have them
- Location. I'm from the city, and that is what I'm used to. Driving from Phili to State College for a 4 hour drive I saw nothing but grass and barns - I really don't like how isolated the college is.. If your looking for a Big Law Firm Career in the Big City, I would be skeptical about attending Penn State, or having it as a number one choice. This is not to say it is impossible, but if this is what you desire, you better make sure before signing off at Penn State as your school that you are going to put in an unlimited amount of work, heart, and desire to achieve this.
- Bubble. The school is literally in the middle of nowhere, well, that is how it feels for me as well.
- 2 Locations/1 School. The school has some internal problems that the 2L's and 3L's had no hesitation mentioning to me and the rest of the prospective/admitted students. Anyways, long story short -- Carlisle and University Park may become two distinct schools under the Penn State Umbrella starting in Fall 2015. This will not affect the incoming law students this coming Fall, but it can have a bearing on future students and the US News Rankings. The staff and current students don't seem overtly concerned, but it is something that needs to be considered for all incoming students. Either (1) Nothing changes, or (2) Carlisle and UP will becoming two distinct schools where you will apply to both separately, they will get ranked separately, but still both be under Penn State University. Kind of like Rutgers-Camden and Rutgers-Newark.
- Post-Grad Opportunities. They aren't a t14 school, and if your willing to pay -- you can go to a better school with better opportunities (considering you have better or the same scores as me)
- Weather. They have this stuff called Weather? Never heard of it before being from So. Cal.

Hopefully this will be helpful for admitted students considering attending this school. I talked to a 3L today who is going to work for a big law firm in NYC when graduating -- when he was in my shoes he had to decide between attending George Washington and Penn State on a full ride, he obviously chose the latter. This is the situation I am in, and am making the 'Economical' decision if you will - to me I rather be essentially debt free leaving law school instead of taking the risk of attending a premier school for sticker price. Granted, your situation may be different from mine -- and if it is, I wish you the best. For me, Penn State seems like a good fit for me and unless anything drastic changes I will be at Univ. Park in August. The name brand will open opportunities for me throughout the nation. The huge alumni network is great. and I will be able to do all of this on essentially a full ride. I can honestly say Penn State seems like on the up and up. This place isn't for everyone, and I myself still need to have it grow on me a bit more.

To all those considering Penn State, best of luck and If I go through with Penn State, I look forward to seeing those who decide to go in Fall.

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:15 pm

The alumni base was scary to me at first because the school is relatively young but after talking to some current students and graduates of their undergrad program, there is not much to fear. Between the Dickinson grads from before the school was absorbed, the grads of other graduate programs at PSU, and grads from the undergraduate school, there is a strong network. If you are not already aware, Penn State is a cult, their graduates may have gone to other law schools but will still reach out to Penn State law grads because they love the school that much.

And as far as distance to large cities goes it is true, there is nothing really out there, but you are 3-4 hours away from a lot of different cities when it comes to job interviews and like was said in an earlier post, the alumni are everywhere.

I have not fully committed yet but I am also 95% certain I am.

Squintz805

Postby Squintz805 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:36 pm

cdemps3 wrote:The alumni base was scary to me at first because the school is relatively young but after talking to some current students and graduates of their undergrad program, there is not much to fear. Between the Dickinson grads from before the school was absorbed, the grads of other graduate programs at PSU, and grads from the undergraduate school, there is a strong network. If you are not already aware, Penn State is a cult, their graduates may have gone to other law schools but will still reach out to Penn State law grads because they love the school that much.

And as far as distance to large cities goes it is true, there is nothing really out there, but you are 3-4 hours away from a lot of different cities when it comes to job interviews and like was said in an earlier post, the alumni are everywhere.

I have not fully committed yet but I am also 95% certain I am.

I strangly feel the word 'cult' is almost an understatement. lol

Mauve.Dino

Postby Mauve.Dino » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:45 am

Squintz805 wrote:
I strangly feel the word 'cult' is almost an understatement. lol

Being a resident of Central PA, I can attest to the pervasive cult-like status of the PSU community. Seriously. But even the PSU cult can't do anything about the law school's 20% post-grad unemployment rate.

That being said, to each his/her own. *shrugs*

kek5250

Postby kek5250 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:42 pm

I was admitted to some t-14s and I don't know that I can justify turning down that kind of opportunity, even though I love Penn State!

That said, I'm a PSU undergrad student currently and I would LOVE to talk about it to anyone who has any questions!

If anyone is coming to visit or needs to know anything about the area, I'd love to help out/ show you around! I really love this place. People say it's cult-like, and I also feel like that's an understatement. (in a good way! never has kool aid tasted so delicious) I am happy to be here every single day, and I am going to be heartbroken to leave! The law school is a great place to be, and I think that program will absolutely thrive and come into its own in the next few years.

Congrats to all the admits, and best of luck with your decision ahead! It's a tough one!

osubucknut

Postby osubucknut » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Didn't know there were TLSers there yesterday. I was there as well and will be going to psu this fall. Pm me if any of you guys want to talk.

FrankieChains

Postby FrankieChains » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:14 pm

Was at the open house this weekend as well. Went on a whim because they offered me some scholly money. Now I am seriously considering it after the visit.

Squintz805

Postby Squintz805 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:03 pm

I looked at apartments/housing throughout UP today, and have came to the conclusion the The Heights is by far the best place. Compared to all the other housing complexes, this place goes above and beyond. Felt like a slice of paradise. Amazing facilities, beautiful people, gym, pool, lounge, etc. etc.. Only rooms they have left are 3 BR/3.5 Bath Town Homes and they are expecting to be all booked up come mid-April.

I'm trying to set up camp with a few other law students (prefer 1L, but open to 2L+3L's). If anyone is seriously interested and not gonna go ham take a look at their site and PM me. $645/mo covers everything but electricity

Study on the Weekdays, Fun on the Weekends (when applicable).

--LinkRemoved--

lunalovegood2357

Postby lunalovegood2357 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:26 am

My application has been in review with no update since 1/6. Needless to say I have been waiting for a decision for nearly three months now. Is anyone else in the same boat? Currently trying not to freak out and hoping that the delay in rendering a decision doesn't mean bad news is on the way

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:45 am

lunalovegood2357 wrote:My application has been in review with no update since 1/6. Needless to say I have been waiting for a decision for nearly three months now. Is anyone else in the same boat? Currently trying not to freak out and hoping that the delay in rendering a decision doesn't mean bad news is on the way
Last edited by PattyCake on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcoppo01

Postby dcoppo01 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:11 am

lunalovegood2357 wrote:My application has been in review with no update since 1/6. Needless to say I have been waiting for a decision for nearly three months now. Is anyone else in the same boat? Currently trying not to freak out and hoping that the delay in rendering a decision doesn't mean bad news is on the way

Same... I was about to make a similar post in this thread. My application has been "under review" since 1/7.

Lady Finch

Postby Lady Finch » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:22 am

Squintz805 wrote:I looked at apartments/housing throughout UP today, and have came to the conclusion the The Heights is by far the best place. Compared to all the other housing complexes, this place goes above and beyond. Felt like a slice of paradise. Amazing facilities, beautiful people, gym, pool, lounge, etc. etc.. Only rooms they have left are 3 BR/3.5 Bath Town Homes and they are expecting to be all booked up come mid-April.

I'm trying to set up camp with a few other law students (prefer 1L, but open to 2L+3L's). If anyone is seriously interested and not gonna go ham take a look at their site and PM me. $645/mo covers everything but electricity

--LinkRemoved--

The Heights is really nice. For some other options though in case the Heights fills up, Copperbeech and the Toftrees area also offer some great places, and might be a bit quieter and have less undergrads.

lunalovegood2357

Postby lunalovegood2357 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:14 pm

dcoppo01 wrote:

Same... I was about to make a similar post in this thread. My application has been "under review" since 1/7.

Phew, makes me feel better that I'm not the only one. PattyCake I can't believe you've been waiting since November! Hopefully good news is on the way for all of us - I did email on 3/13 and they said that admissions predicted another 2 weeks on my decision. That two weeks will be up on Thursday so I'm hoping for all of our sanity we will be hearing from them by the end of this week at the latest.

Squintz805

Postby Squintz805 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:46 pm

Lady Finch wrote:
Squintz805 wrote:I looked at apartments/housing throughout UP today, and have came to the conclusion the The Heights is by far the best place. Compared to all the other housing complexes, this place goes above and beyond. Felt like a slice of paradise. Amazing facilities, beautiful people, gym, pool, lounge, etc. etc.. Only rooms they have left are 3 BR/3.5 Bath Town Homes and they are expecting to be all booked up come mid-April.

--LinkRemoved--

The Heights is really nice. For some other options though in case the Heights fills up, Copperbeech and the Toftrees area also offer some great places, and might be a bit quieter and have less undergrads.

Definitely less undergrads. I checked out Copperbeech and it just seemed a bit to run down for my taste. I went to the Retreat today and I might end up setting up camp there aswell

Lady Finch

Postby Lady Finch » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:12 am

Squintz805 wrote:
Lady Finch wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Definitely less undergrads. I checked out Copperbeech and it just seemed a bit to run down for my taste. I went to the Retreat today and I might end up setting up camp there aswell

There are several different Copperbeech locations, and the ones I visited friends at (one bedroom and 3 bedroom units) were not run down at all. They are a bit pricey for what you get for single apartments though. I always lived in smaller units because they had less undergrads - don't underestimate how loud/crazy they can be haha

Neteshy

Postby Neteshy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:43 am

I'm going to be living at Lion's Gate (next to the Retreat). I'm paying a bit more, mainly cause I'll be living alone and with my dog, but that place looks nice and has reasonable prices.

Carabear

Postby Carabear » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:17 pm

I also was there last weekend for the UP admitted student thing :) And I will be living in Lions Gate too with my dog :)

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:48 pm

Applied 3/12, just went under review yesterday. Any idea what the turnaround time is? Deposit deadlines are looming...

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:51 pm

lunalovegood2357 wrote:Phew, makes me feel better that I'm not the only one. PattyCake I can't believe you've been waiting since November! Hopefully good news is on the way for all of us - I did email on 3/13 and they said that admissions predicted another 2 weeks on my decision. That two weeks will be up on Thursday so I'm hoping for all of our sanity we will be hearing from them by the end of this week at the latest.

Sorry, that was a typo, I applied 3/12 and went under review yesterday.

lunalovegood2357

Postby lunalovegood2357 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:22 pm

dcoppo01 wrote:

any news this week yet? I've been unreview since 1/7 as well and am going absolutely crazy waiting

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:28 pm

1Lmatic wrote:Anybody who got a scholarship and is concerned about stips: I just talked to one of their admissions people and he said this year they were lowering it from 3.0 to 2.0 (AKA good academic standing). So that's a relief.

Can confirm.

dcoppo01

Postby dcoppo01 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:36 am

lunalovegood2357 wrote:
dcoppo01 wrote:

any news this week yet? I've been unreview since 1/7 as well and am going absolutely crazy waiting

Nope. In my experience with other schools news seems to come out on Fridays.

I hope they didn't forget about us. I checked my numbers against the graph of this year's cycle here: http://pennstate.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1314. If it holds true I should expect an acceptance -- but the long wait worries me.

amw5471

Postby amw5471 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:51 am

Last edited by amw5471 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”