Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mach9zero
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:02 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby mach9zero » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:57 pm

LShopeful628 wrote:
osubucknut wrote:Toured UP and loved it.


What were your favorite things about it? I've only seen Carlisle and at first I was sold, but I'm starting to think I may feel a bit isolated at the smaller campus.


University Park is everything that Penn State encompasses, big state school, beautiful large campus, and an established football program. The Katz building is on the side of campus, close to the stadium, and it's ranked as one of the best facilities to study law in. Downtown State College is about a 6x3 block grid of restaurants, stores, and apartments - and while nothing compared to a large city like Philly or Pitt, it's safe and bikable. There's public transportation that wraps all throughout campus. The upside is being a part of the Penn State community, studying in a world-class facility, and life in State College. The downside is that UP is also 40,000 strong of undergraduates, and that might turn some professionals off who are looking to get away from a college scene.

I went to Carlisle last weekend just to do a brief drive-through of the campus and surrounding town and was pleasantly surprised. Carlisle is a cool little downtown, less shops and stores than State College, but it can hold its own in terms of places to eat, study, and enjoy life. The town appears safe and neighboring Dickinson College is a beautiful school. With only 2,000 students, you're going to have less that "college-y" feel and that's what some people are going want. The school itself is also really gorgeous and all brand new. I walked around and checked out the classrooms and mock-court and was really impressed. It's small, but I wouldn't hold that against the school. I can't believe how terrible of a place Harrisburg really is. I heard stories and have been in Philadelphia my wole life, but as a whole city, Harriburg was really run-down and dilapilated. I couldn't imagine living there.

If I had a family or were looking to avoid the "college-vibe" I'd pick Carlisle. There are a lot of cheap leaving options, the surrounding area was very nice. That said, last year I think only 38 students chose to attend the Carlisle campus and there have been talks of splitting the schools and making Dickinson its own program with its own admissions process. That would concern me the future because I could go from being in a T2 school to being in a provisional accredidation school or a T3/T4 school. I really think PSU is putting most of their eggs in the UP campus, and while the Carlisle vibe really appealed to me, the logisitics of PSU's law program really makes me strongly lean otwards going to University Park.

osubucknut
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:07 am

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby osubucknut » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:36 pm

LShopeful628 wrote:
osubucknut wrote:Toured UP and loved it.


What were your favorite things about it? I've only seen Carlisle and at first I was sold, but I'm starting to think I may feel a bit isolated at the smaller campus.


One of my favorite things about it is how easy it is to get around. I've looked at some schools in big cities and prefer the suburban setting. There are a lot of very nice places to live near the campus. Of course the building itself is very nice. I know some people want to stay away from the college vibe but I think the school has a great set up. It's isolated enough from the undergrad buildings, but it still gives you the opportunity to participate in things like football games. If you weren't interested in the college vibe you can easily go to class and escape to off campus housing without being bothered by that scene. I don't really know how else to describe UP, but it seems like a great place to study law for three years.

User avatar
LShopeful628
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:50 am

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby LShopeful628 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:00 pm

I'll be at the Accepted Student's Open House on April 6 in Carlile-- see any of you there?

Mitchellcar
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby Mitchellcar » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:28 pm

In with a full ride as well. It's crazy how many of these things have been given out this cycle. I leaning towards Penn State as my top choice right now mainly because of the money. I have yet to visit but from what I hear its a great school. I have a question for you guys though. I want to practice in Ohio having lived here my whole life... what are my chances of getting a solid job back home after graduating Penn state opposed to going to a local unranked school in my hometown. Also, would there be a big difference in my chances of finding a job in Ohio between Penn state and a school like Cincy which is ranked some 20 spots below?

User avatar
Yazzzay
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby Yazzzay » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:32 pm

Just got in with a 3/4 scholly. Very happy but a bit disappointed it's not bigger but really shouldn't complain. Anyways, yay! Honestly haven't thoroughly considered Penn State but definitely will now.

Lady Finch
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby Lady Finch » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:33 am

Penn State Dickinson 2013 grad here - happy to answer questions about my class experiences, journals (I was on the law review), extra curriculars, job prospects, etc. Happy to answer here, or in PM if needed.

Lady Finch
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby Lady Finch » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:42 am

Mitchellcar wrote:In with a full ride as well. It's crazy how many of these things have been given out this cycle. I leaning towards Penn State as my top choice right now mainly because of the money. I have yet to visit but from what I hear its a great school. I have a question for you guys though. I want to practice in Ohio having lived here my whole life... what are my chances of getting a solid job back home after graduating Penn state opposed to going to a local unranked school in my hometown. Also, would there be a big difference in my chances of finding a job in Ohio between Penn state and a school like Cincy which is ranked some 20 spots below?



I think if you spend your summers working in Ohio in the market you are interested in, you would have a good chance of finding a job after school. When employers ask why you want to be in the area, your ties there are obviously a good answer. Further, explaining that you were given a full ride to Penn State will easily let them know why you chose to go to school out of state. Keep up your networking in the geographic area you want to be in, and I imagine you'll have some great opportunities.

User avatar
Neteshy
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:03 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby Neteshy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi
I got in with about 70% scholarship and because of that I am highly considering going. I'm going to see after I visit UP at the end of the month, but from what I see here I'll love it.

jerseyjoe83
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:33 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby jerseyjoe83 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:46 pm

Has anyone heard anything lately? I submitted 1/10 and it went into review that day but I still haven't heard anything... I got an email from the financial aid office and corresponded a bit with them to get my FAFSA and aid packet together but it seems like coming up on 8 weeks I should've heard something... Maybe all the snow has delayed things with campus closings? Even still it seems like everyone who submitted when I did has heard back...

kek5250
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:44 am

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby kek5250 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:00 pm

jerseyjoe83 wrote:Has anyone heard anything lately? I submitted 1/10 and it went into review that day but I still haven't heard anything... I got an email from the financial aid office and corresponded a bit with them to get my FAFSA and aid packet together but it seems like coming up on 8 weeks I should've heard something... Maybe all the snow has delayed things with campus closings? Even still it seems like everyone who submitted when I did has heard back...



LOL this is Penn State, we don't close for snow! ever. Get excited about walking to class in 18 inches of snow here, btw. ;) Has there been any movement on your status checker? You can always send an email checking in and updating your resume or something, if you have any updates!

jerseyjoe83
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:33 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby jerseyjoe83 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:55 pm

kek5250 wrote:
jerseyjoe83 wrote:Has anyone heard anything lately? I submitted 1/10 and it went into review that day but I still haven't heard anything... I got an email from the financial aid office and corresponded a bit with them to get my FAFSA and aid packet together but it seems like coming up on 8 weeks I should've heard something... Maybe all the snow has delayed things with campus closings? Even still it seems like everyone who submitted when I did has heard back...



LOL this is Penn State, we don't close for snow! ever. Get excited about walking to class in 18 inches of snow here, btw. ;) Has there been any movement on your status checker? You can always send an email checking in and updating your resume or something, if you have any updates!


Haha I love snow- my coworkers are ready to kick me after this winter with my barely restrained support for the endless snowfall. Even without adult snow days. I'm just trying to rationalize the wait since it's a bit disheartening waiting and hearing nothing while everyone else sees movement. Status checker hasn't changed since going complete the day I sent it in. I emailed them, and got a response that the process was taking longer than anticipated and to stay patient, and email them back if in a few weeks I still haven't heard. The issue is I'm trying to negotiate scholly money with other schools and while I'd love to attend (it's my 1st choice school at face value), I also need to work all that out, as well as plan the move from Philly if accepted with a reasonable notification to my landlord to end the lease, and so time isn't unlimited- I might end up forced into withdrawing if I don't hear back by next week.

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby Nucky » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 pm

I'll probably withdraw in the next week or two. Hopefully one of you takes my seat and money. Good luck!

Mitchellcar
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby Mitchellcar » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:26 am

Nucky wrote:I'll probably withdraw in the next week or two. Hopefully one of you takes my seat and money. Good luck!

Same here.

jerseyjoe83
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:33 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby jerseyjoe83 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:41 pm

Mitchellcar wrote:
Nucky wrote:I'll probably withdraw in the next week or two. Hopefully one of you takes my seat and money. Good luck!

Same here.


I ended up sending my withdraw email today, got a full ride without stip here in Philly so I'm going to stay put. Good luck to everyone else!

iskim88
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 5:21 am

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby iskim88 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:46 pm

in with full scholarship

Will drop it very soon for those of you interested in attending

good luck!

goterps123
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby goterps123 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:30 pm

Wow Penn State jumped all the way up to 51 in the new rankings!!

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/usnwr- ... last-year/

cdemps3
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:37 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby cdemps3 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:38 pm

goterps123 wrote:Wow Penn State jumped all the way up to 51 in the new rankings!!

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/usnwr- ... last-year/



Wow! How trusted is this source?

rwhyAn
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby rwhyAn » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:43 pm

cdemps3 wrote:
goterps123 wrote:Wow Penn State jumped all the way up to 51 in the new rankings!!

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/usnwr- ... last-year/



Wow! How trusted is this source?


He's very credible. Don't let the jump in rankings be the deciding factor for you, as it really doesn't matter if they're ranked 51 or 75; things aren't going to get drastically better because PSU had a jump in the rankings.

cdemps3
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:37 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby cdemps3 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:20 pm

rwhyAn wrote:
cdemps3 wrote:
goterps123 wrote:Wow Penn State jumped all the way up to 51 in the new rankings!!

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/usnwr- ... last-year/



Wow! How trusted is this source?


He's very credible. Don't let the jump in rankings be the deciding factor for you, as it really doesn't matter if they're ranked 51 or 75; things aren't going to get drastically better because PSU had a jump in the rankings.


True, and I agree that realistically if the school is not at the top then ranking outside of the region is irrelevant. That being said it's an indication that since they have improved the facilities the program is also being improved. I believe they jumped around 10 spots last year also but correct me if I'm wrong.

Mitchellcar
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby Mitchellcar » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:58 pm

That improvement is very impressive especially in back to back years. I think that they are seeing these jumps because of all the full rides they are giving out which is driving better students to go there.

rwhyAn
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby rwhyAn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:11 am

Mitchellcar wrote:That improvement is very impressive especially in back to back years. I think that they are seeing these jumps because of all the full rides they are giving out which is driving better students to go there.


I'm not sure how correct this is. The median and 25th percentile LSAT are down from the previous class, and the 75th percent has only stayed the same.

Mitchellcar
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby Mitchellcar » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:31 am

rwhyAn wrote:
Mitchellcar wrote:That improvement is very impressive especially in back to back years. I think that they are seeing these jumps because of all the full rides they are giving out which is driving better students to go there.


I'm not sure how correct this is. The median and 25th percentile LSAT are down from the previous class, and the 75th percent has only stayed the same.

Thanks for the correction I guess I should have looked into the actual scores. Either was the influx of money they seem to be giving out has to play a role somehow in their increase in rankings i assume.

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby PattyCake » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:08 pm

Checking in, just submitted. What has the wait time been like for you all?

lunalovegood2357
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:53 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby lunalovegood2357 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:36 pm

waiting time has not been fun! my application went into review on January 3rd and my status hasn't been updated since. the website says it takes up to six weeks but I spoke to a 3L in admissions and he said it's very common for it to take much, much longer

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: Penn State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014)

Postby PattyCake » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:38 pm

lunalovegood2357 wrote:waiting time has not been fun! my application went into review on January 3rd and my status hasn't been updated since. the website says it takes up to six weeks but I spoke to a 3L in admissions and he said it's very common for it to take much, much longer


Booooo.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin and 22 guests