University of South Carolina 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Wheeler90
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:22 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Wheeler90 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:37 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:
Wheeler90 wrote:I haven't heard anything, myself. And while yes, that is SUPREMELY frustrating - to wait and to wait and to wait as the days go by and see no movement - I try to also be aware that at least in terms of the immeadiate situation this week couldn't be helped. That is to say, the university was closed for two days because of inclement weather. Still, there isn't much that I can think to do that would be productive at the moment.

I mean, I will probably give admissions a call some point next week - but I don't really know how to go about making it more productive than the three other times I have called. On the one hand, I want to demostrate that I have a vested interest in the school - but I don't want to come across as a nattering boob who has no respect for the process either.

I've been contemplating going to Columbia for an in-person visit, but part of me thinks that this might read as the worst kind if self-involved narcissism at this point - I'm not even "in Review", or even been offered admission. Despite all of this, however, I just feel like I *should* be doing something to raise my profile. (<= I'm well aware that probably sounds like the aforementioned naricissistic egotism)

In short, I have not heard anything - and it sucks. lol



1. I would not call them to check in on your status or to demonstrate interest. This is crazy time for them. I doubt they would appreciate a call. Instead, send them a Why SC? email: concise, polite, substantive. I would only call if you have specific questions about their program or school that can't be answered easily in an email or on their website. I'm sure if you've already called three times and nothing has come of it yet, that calling a fourth time will not help you or speed up the process. I think with three phone calls alrady they'll get the point: you're interested.

2. Visiting would be the best way I can think of to demonstrate interest -- though if you're instate, they would understand why you're interested in SC and I don't think you need to demonstrate it beyond the application. If you're out of state and can manage a visit, that's probably best, but again, recruiting season is long over. While in the fall they might have been very appreciative of a visit, right now you risk coming in during their busiest time.



Thank you for the advice. My only concern (I don't really know if this this is me being neurotic or not) is due to the fact that a LOCI or Why SC? letter could be construed as unsolicited material at this point in the cycle, especially with the uncertainity of my file - i.e. the lack of movement. Basically, whether the unsolicted nature of such correspondence would actually count *aganist* me at this point. Again, thank you for the advice. Maybe I am just being neurotic.

Kevinlomax
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:04 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Kevinlomax » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:05 am

I am assuming the snowpocalypse shut them down?

morrissey
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby morrissey » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:44 pm

Wheeler90 wrote: Thank you for the advice. My only concern (I don't really know if this this is me being neurotic or not) is due to the fact that a LOCI or Why SC? letter could be construed as unsolicited material at this point in the cycle, especially with the uncertainity of my file - i.e. the lack of movement. Basically, whether the unsolicted nature of such correspondence would actually count *aganist* me at this point. Again, thank you for the advice. Maybe I am just being neurotic.

If its been a little while since you submitted your app and you have something relevant to add, do it. I'm a 1L at USC now and I applied in October 2012, didn't hear back until May 2013. My numbers were on the fence and I'm convinced that my continued communication only helped me. Obviously don't send a letter each month with some trivial update, but if you didn't include a Why USC with your initial application, go for it. If you're still in undergrad and you've gotten more grades, send those. If you're employed full time and you recently got some kind of award, big accomplishment, etc., send that (only if its actually noteworthy, if your boss just told you "good job" don't send it). Bottom line, they want to see enthusiasm if your numbers are on the fence. The FAQ sheet they send to waitlisted applicants literally says to keep in contact to show interest. Don't be a pest, but if you have information that could help improve your file, send it.

But yes, the snowpocalypse did shut us down. It was a brutal 2".

Lwoods1020
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Lwoods1020 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:46 pm

Anybody having issues signing up for admitted students day? The sign up link isn't working for me.

Anybody retaking this Saturday?

ayl
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:04 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby ayl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:02 pm

Lwoods1020 wrote:Anybody having issues signing up for admitted students day? The sign up link isn't working for me.

Anybody retaking this Saturday?


Haha! I didn't even know about the admitted students day. Guess I didn't read my letter too closely. Probably should sign up for it. I'll let you know if I have any issues!

Lwoods1020
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:29 am

Admitted students day is March 23rd and Dean Hutchison called me back to tell me that the link isn't active yet because too many people sign up for it early and then don't show up because they sent in seat deposits to other schools haha

ayl
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:04 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby ayl » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:38 am

Lwoods1020 wrote:Admitted students day is March 23rd and Dean Hutchison called me back to tell me that the link isn't active yet because too many people sign up for it early and then don't show up because they sent in seat deposits to other schools haha


Er... then maybe they should have one earlier? That is pretty close to deposit date. I would think I'd want to use the day as more recruiting than somewhat more of a meeting of people definitely going. Then again, I'm not in the admissions field and have no idea what's best :)

Lwoods1020
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:03 pm

ayl wrote:
Lwoods1020 wrote:Admitted students day is March 23rd and Dean Hutchison called me back to tell me that the link isn't active yet because too many people sign up for it early and then don't show up because they sent in seat deposits to other schools haha


Er... then maybe they should have one earlier? That is pretty close to deposit date. I would think I'd want to use the day as more recruiting than somewhat more of a meeting of people definitely going. Then again, I'm not in the admissions field and have no idea what's best :)



I know it is so close to it but I think they do that so only people serious about going to USC attend.

User avatar
kellohitty
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby kellohitty » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:48 pm

Now into a second stage of review. Applied 11/13.

Kevinlomax
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:04 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Kevinlomax » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:38 pm

so there are two stages of review? still under review from 1/16/14

User avatar
kellohitty
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby kellohitty » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:14 pm

Kevinlomax wrote:so there are two stages of review? still under review from 1/16/14


I believe so. My first UR status was in 1/16 (I believe?) and now I have an updated date of 2/7. It may be different for different candidates.

Kevinlomax
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:04 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Kevinlomax » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:18 am

kellohitty wrote:
Kevinlomax wrote:so there are two stages of review? still under review from 1/16/14


I believe so. My first UR status was in 1/16 (I believe?) and now I have an updated date of 2/7. It may be different for different candidates.



haha doesent bode well for me, since we went UR on same date and you have had movement and i have not

good luck though, please update accordingly :/

User avatar
kellohitty
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby kellohitty » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:27 am

Kevinlomax wrote:
kellohitty wrote:
Kevinlomax wrote:so there are two stages of review? still under review from 1/16/14


I believe so. My first UR status was in 1/16 (I believe?) and now I have an updated date of 2/7. It may be different for different candidates.



haha doesent bode well for me, since we went UR on same date and you have had movement and i have not

good luck though, please update accordingly :/


Will do!

User avatar
CoffeeIsLife
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:41 pm

I have been listed as File Complete since mid-November but have had absolutely no movement. Seems a bit strange but who knows.

luke6028
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby luke6028 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:11 pm

File Complete November 6; Under Review January 16; Decision mailed February 7

User avatar
kellohitty
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby kellohitty » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:13 pm

CoffeeIsLife wrote:I have been listed as File Complete since mid-November but have had absolutely no movement. Seems a bit strange but who knows.


I applied in mid-November as well. I didn't see any movement until mid-January. I'd still call and see where they are in your application.

User avatar
kellohitty
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby kellohitty » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:14 pm

luke6028 wrote:File Complete November 6; Under Review January 16; Decision mailed February 7


Hmm. Seems like I should be getting decision soon as well since I went complete mid-November and have the same UR date as you. Will you update us on when you receive your decision?

Lwoods1020
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Lwoods1020 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:12 pm

please let us know if anyone has luck negotiating scholarships. I didn't! They basically said "too bad, retake"

User avatar
kellohitty
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby kellohitty » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:36 pm

Decision mailed today!

doubledawg3378
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:41 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby doubledawg3378 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:34 pm

Woah same! Decision mailed today! Same times and all, sent in Nov, in Review in January.

whm0829
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby whm0829 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:43 pm

decision mailed today. Applied Jan 31. I called to see what was going on and lady said decisions will be out this week and mailing might be backed up bc of snow. Said if I didnt get anything by Thurs. then to call and check in.

doubledawg3378
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:41 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby doubledawg3378 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:47 pm

Thanks whm0829, that is good to know.

evilduckie22
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby evilduckie22 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:37 pm

Delurking to say decision mailed as well! Now just to wait...

User avatar
CoffeeIsLife
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:40 pm

With all the news of decision made, I checked my status and I still have not made it past file complete even though it was made complete on 11/25. Not sure what the delay is.

luke6028
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby luke6028 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:07 pm

Status checker said my decision was mailed the 7th and still haven't received it, called and said due to snow storm




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”