University of South Carolina 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
kellohitty
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby kellohitty » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:43 pm

Lwoods1020 wrote:
kellohitty wrote:
doubledawg3378 wrote:UGH Why have I not heard from South Carolina yet. Very frustrating!


It truly is. I'm in review or have a decision from every other school to which I've applied.


are you in their 25th percentiles?


I'm a reverse-splitter for South Carolina.

morrissey
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby morrissey » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:50 pm

kellohitty wrote:
Lwoods1020 wrote:
kellohitty wrote:
doubledawg3378 wrote:UGH Why have I not heard from South Carolina yet. Very frustrating!


It truly is. I'm in review or have a decision from every other school to which I've applied.


are you in their 25th percentiles?


I'm a reverse-splitter for South Carolina.

That was me last year. I got in, but be prepared to wait awhile. I think it was the end of April for me.

User avatar
kellohitty
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby kellohitty » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:58 pm

morrissey wrote:That was me last year. I got in, but be prepared to wait awhile. I think it was the end of April for me.


Thank you for the insight. I had expected that I would end up waiting a while for some schools, but it ended up being that South Carolina is the only school I'm waiting on, so I suppose it could be worse. However, I'm not even at file complete, just application received.

Lwoods1020
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Lwoods1020 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:21 pm

I'd call them.

User avatar
kellohitty
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby kellohitty » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:50 am

Lwoods1020 wrote:I'd call them.


I intend to tomorrow as the adcom should be back in full swing.

Wheeler90
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:22 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Wheeler90 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:10 am

I just got off the phone with a lovely person in admissions, who said that the bulk of decisions are made mid-January to April. Nothing new here I suppose, just more confirmation. Looking over my profile, I could tell she was a little put off by the score - here's hoping addendums actually work. :)

Lwoods1020
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Lwoods1020 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:51 am

Does anyone know if getting a job in SC, NC and other southern states "parochial?" That word keeps being thrown around in another thread and it's making me nervous. I am not from SC or the south and have limited ties. I interned near my southern undergrad university but I don't know how well those ties will help me after 1L, & 2L for the summer and after 3 years?

Lwoods1020
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Lwoods1020 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:51 am

Wheeler90 wrote:I just got off the phone with a lovely person in admissions, who said that the bulk of decisions are made mid-January to April. Nothing new here I suppose, just more confirmation. Looking over my profile, I could tell she was a little put off by the score - here's hoping addendums actually work. :)


Did you speak to Dean Hutchison? He is so nice and willing to speak to applicants.

doubledawg3378
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:41 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby doubledawg3378 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:04 pm

Lwoods1020 wrote:
Wheeler90 wrote:I just got off the phone with a lovely person in admissions, who said that the bulk of decisions are made mid-January to April. Nothing new here I suppose, just more confirmation. Looking over my profile, I could tell she was a little put off by the score - here's hoping addendums actually work. :)


Did you speak to Dean Hutchison? He is so nice and willing to speak to applicants.



Agreed: Dean Hutchinson is awesome! I do need to call as well though!

morrissey
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby morrissey » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:18 pm

doubledawg3378 wrote:
Lwoods1020 wrote:
Wheeler90 wrote:I just got off the phone with a lovely person in admissions, who said that the bulk of decisions are made mid-January to April. Nothing new here I suppose, just more confirmation. Looking over my profile, I could tell she was a little put off by the score - here's hoping addendums actually work. :)


Did you speak to Dean Hutchison? He is so nice and willing to speak to applicants.



Agreed: Dean Hutchinson is awesome! I do need to call as well though!

Dean Palmer is the Dean of Student Affairs and also works in admissions. She was really helpful for me while I was waiting for a decision. If any of y'all come to take a tour of the school you'll probably get a chance to sit down with Dean Palmer or Dean Hutchison to talk about your application and any other questions you may have. I'd highly recommend doing that, and especially if your numbers put you on the fence; they are definitely fond of enthusiasm.

Lwoods1020
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Lwoods1020 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:10 pm

morrissey wrote:
doubledawg3378 wrote:
Lwoods1020 wrote:
Wheeler90 wrote:I just got off the phone with a lovely person in admissions, who said that the bulk of decisions are made mid-January to April. Nothing new here I suppose, just more confirmation. Looking over my profile, I could tell she was a little put off by the score - here's hoping addendums actually work. :)


Did you speak to Dean Hutchison? He is so nice and willing to speak to applicants.



Agreed: Dean Hutchinson is awesome! I do need to call as well though!

Dean Palmer is the Dean of Student Affairs and also works in admissions. She was really helpful for me while I was waiting for a decision. If any of y'all come to take a tour of the school you'll probably get a chance to sit down with Dean Palmer or Dean Hutchison to talk about your application and any other questions you may have. I'd highly recommend doing that, and especially if your numbers put you on the fence; they are definitely fond of enthusiasm.


when you say fond of enthusiasm... could that stretch to scholarship neogtiation?

morrissey
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby morrissey » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:50 pm

when you say fond of enthusiasm... could that stretch to scholarship neogtiation?

I don't have any specific anecdotes for USC, but being enthusiastic worked for me at other schools I negotiated with. Be sure that you're genuine when you're asking though. I always made it a point to go in person if possible, otherwise over the phone, don't just email and ask. Using a higher ranked school's acceptance and scholly money as leverage helps too. Timing can make a difference too. Schools offer more scholarships than they have money for because they know not everyone will take them up on it. Once more people have turned down offers would be a better time to ask for more money because the school will have a better idea of how much they have left to spend. Unfortunately this may come later in the cycle than is comfortable or convenient for everyone, but if you can stick it out with a few of your top schools, you may see a benefit.

Lwoods1020
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Lwoods1020 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:54 pm

morrissey wrote:
when you say fond of enthusiasm... could that stretch to scholarship neogtiation?

I don't have any specific anecdotes for USC, but being enthusiastic worked for me at other schools I negotiated with. Be sure that you're genuine when you're asking though. I always made it a point to go in person if possible, otherwise over the phone, don't just email and ask. Using a higher ranked school's acceptance and scholly money as leverage helps too. Timing can make a difference too. Schools offer more scholarships than they have money for because they know not everyone will take them up on it. Once more people have turned down offers would be a better time to ask for more money because the school will have a better idea of how much they have left to spend. Unfortunately this may come later in the cycle than is comfortable or convenient for everyone, but if you can stick it out with a few of your top schools, you may see a benefit.


thank you for your insight. Should I negotiate like a month before or a few weeks before the seat deposit deadline?

morrissey
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby morrissey » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:11 pm

Lwoods1020 wrote:
morrissey wrote:
when you say fond of enthusiasm... could that stretch to scholarship neogtiation?

I don't have any specific anecdotes for USC, but being enthusiastic worked for me at other schools I negotiated with. Be sure that you're genuine when you're asking though. I always made it a point to go in person if possible, otherwise over the phone, don't just email and ask. Using a higher ranked school's acceptance and scholly money as leverage helps too. Timing can make a difference too. Schools offer more scholarships than they have money for because they know not everyone will take them up on it. Once more people have turned down offers would be a better time to ask for more money because the school will have a better idea of how much they have left to spend. Unfortunately this may come later in the cycle than is comfortable or convenient for everyone, but if you can stick it out with a few of your top schools, you may see a benefit.


thank you for your insight. Should I negotiate like a month before or a few weeks before the seat deposit deadline?

Yeah that's a good window. Though have your top schools ranked in your mind because sometimes schools will give you shorter deadlines to accept once they've offered you more money. Some schools won't, but just be prepared for something like that. Charleston Law, for example, increased my scholarship offer, but only gave me like a week to accept it if I wanted to come.

A lot of schools have Accepted Students Days around that time, USC included, and that might be a good time to go in person to schools that are far away if the travel costs are feasible. Everyone you'll need to talk to should be on hand during these events regardless of the school.

Lwoods1020
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Lwoods1020 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:16 pm

morrissey wrote:
Lwoods1020 wrote:
morrissey wrote:
when you say fond of enthusiasm... could that stretch to scholarship neogtiation?

I don't have any specific anecdotes for USC, but being enthusiastic worked for me at other schools I negotiated with. Be sure that you're genuine when you're asking though. I always made it a point to go in person if possible, otherwise over the phone, don't just email and ask. Using a higher ranked school's acceptance and scholly money as leverage helps too. Timing can make a difference too. Schools offer more scholarships than they have money for because they know not everyone will take them up on it. Once more people have turned down offers would be a better time to ask for more money because the school will have a better idea of how much they have left to spend. Unfortunately this may come later in the cycle than is comfortable or convenient for everyone, but if you can stick it out with a few of your top schools, you may see a benefit.


thank you for your insight. Should I negotiate like a month before or a few weeks before the seat deposit deadline?

Yeah that's a good window. Though have your top schools ranked in your mind because sometimes schools will give you shorter deadlines to accept once they've offered you more money. Some schools won't, but just be prepared for something like that. Charleston Law, for example, increased my scholarship offer, but only gave me like a week to accept it if I wanted to come.

A lot of schools have Accepted Students Days around that time, USC included, and that might be a good time to go in person to schools that are far away if the travel costs are feasible. Everyone you'll need to talk to should be on hand during these events regardless of the school.




thank you for your help!

Wheeler90
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:22 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Wheeler90 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:22 pm

Lwoods1020 wrote:Did you speak to Dean Hutchison? He is so nice and willing to speak to applicants.


I did not. The woman in particular I spoke was named Kathy. I didn't think to get a last name. As I said however, she did look at my information specifically - which does bring up a few questions I've been rolling around in my head. For one, when she saw that I was in-state she said that was "good". Now, my question to the collective minds on the board is this: is this simply an automatic response to a student - "oh, it's good that you won't have to pay out-of-state"? Or is this an admission that being in-state will count to my favor? Because if it is the latter, that would strike me as somewhat counter-intuitive.

As long as I am dissecting this conversation, I should probably mention the fact that she asked me the most coded question I have ever heard. :lol: "How many practice tests have you taken?" Now, intelectually I know this has to be a question asked. My LSAT score is low - but for good reasons. I explained those reasons to her - physical disability and lack of proper accomodations. Her immeadiate response was did I address that in my personal statement or an additional addendum. My answer is of course yes.

However, I would be lying if I said that this exchange didn't worry me just a little bit. Despite a great GPA, a solid resume, and what (I'm sure) are great reccomendations - there's part of me that thinks the application will be passed because of an objectively "bad" score.

I'm rambling, I know. I also know I have a tendency to overthink things. I hope this is one of those times.

Lwoods1020
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:41 pm

I wouldn't take into account the exact wording or tone of her voice. These people pass around a lot of paper and may get frazzled etc. I think the instate comment was regards to the fact that OOS tuition is a whopping 44 K. And also to the fact that they probably give in state students a little more leeway - they are the ones after all paying taxes.

Lwoods1020
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Lwoods1020 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:43 pm

I spoke to Dean Hutchison today and the only way to get more scholarship money is to retake the LSAT in feb.

Please- anyone please post your stats and scholarship info so I know what I may get . He told me that 3 more points from my 159 will put me into a different deviation and thats a bump in money. It kind of sounded like a systematic approach, a formula most likely that would put my combo of GPA (a 3.75) and LSAT into a different grouping of offers. So pleasee let me know!

Wheeler90
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:22 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Wheeler90 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks for your input - I know I have a tendency to become neurotic. Perhaps even a touch obsessive. This entire process feels a bit like reading tea leaves.

lsatnoob
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:42 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby lsatnoob » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:13 pm

.
Last edited by lsatnoob on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lwoods1020
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Lwoods1020 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:34 pm

lsatnoob wrote:I was accepted recently with a 3.9x and a low 160 and offered the in state equalizer (24,000 a year) plus an additional 12,000 per year. Good luck to everyone still waiting!



shit, 12 k a year for law school. I feel like I gotta try now

Kevinlomax
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:04 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Kevinlomax » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:58 pm

App went complete today :shock:

Genericswingman
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Genericswingman » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:22 pm

Anyone heard from South Carolina recently?

Wheeler90
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:22 am

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby Wheeler90 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:54 pm

I haven't heard anything, myself. And while yes, that is SUPREMELY frustrating - to wait and to wait and to wait as the days go by and see no movement - I try to also be aware that at least in terms of the immeadiate situation this week couldn't be helped. That is to say, the university was closed for two days because of inclement weather. Still, there isn't much that I can think to do that would be productive at the moment.

I mean, I will probably give admissions a call some point next week - but I don't really know how to go about making it more productive than the three other times I have called. On the one hand, I want to demostrate that I have a vested interest in the school - but I don't want to come across as a nattering boob who has no respect for the process either.

I've been contemplating going to Columbia for an in-person visit, but part of me thinks that this might read as the worst kind if self-involved narcissism at this point - I'm not even "in Review", or even been offered admission. Despite all of this, however, I just feel like I *should* be doing something to raise my profile. (<= I'm well aware that probably sounds like the aforementioned naricissistic egotism)

In short, I have not heard anything - and it sucks. lol

NoDayButToday
Posts: 1031
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Postby NoDayButToday » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:02 pm

.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], carlos_danger, JazzyMac, jyzhao3, MSNbot Media, ThorB, Yahoo [Bot] and 20 guests