University of South Carolina 2017 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Wheeler90

New

Re: University of South Carolina 2017

Post by Wheeler90 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:15 am

It seems, as in all things, that USC has decided to do a rash of these changes. I have finally gone "In Review" after four months of sitting at "file complete". One does not know whether to hope for a quite turn around or not. I suppose I am in more than a small amount of shock that finally something happened.

ayl

Bronze

Post by ayl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:32 am

Wheeler90 wrote:It seems, as in all things, that USC has decided to do a rash of these changes. I have finally gone "In Review" after four months of sitting at "file complete". One does not know whether to hope for a quite turn around or not. I suppose I am in more than a small amount of shock that finally something happened.
I went from complete to decision in 9 business days. Hopefully not too long!

kellohitty

Bronze

Post by kellohitty » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:56 am

CoffeeIsLife wrote:After 3 months my status finally changed from "File Complete" to "In Review" I would hope that a decision is made soon since the ASD/ASW is coming up quick. How long did it generally take to go from "in Review" to "Decision Made"? (Sorry if this has been answered, I'm posting real quick from work)
I was at file complete for over two months. However, the turnover from in review to decision made is relatively quick. I'd expect an answer relatively soon.

ayl

Bronze

Post by ayl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:43 pm

As an aside, I know they are relatively quiet regarding admissions information, but they really aren't standoffish as some people have suggested. Keep in mind they have several hundred (if not over a thousand) applications to read through, and that's likely why they'd prefer to avoid status question updates.

Anyway, I recently met some of the Deans at an event, and they have been nothing but helpful. I am currently planning an individual visit with them, and they've kindly answered my frequent emails and questions. It may be worth striking up a working relationship if you are concerned about the lower level of communication. All it can do is show your continued interest and get your questions answered at the same time (provided, of course, you don't sound like a crazed person).

Best of luck to everyone still waiting.

evilduckie22

New

Post by evilduckie22 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:15 pm

In via letter yesterday! Does anyone know when we hear about scholarships?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lwoods1020

Bronze

Post by Lwoods1020 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:37 pm

ayl wrote:As an aside, I know they are relatively quiet regarding admissions information, but they really aren't standoffish as some people have suggested. Keep in mind they have several hundred (if not over a thousand) applications to read through, and that's likely why they'd prefer to avoid status question updates.

Anyway, I recently met some of the Deans at an event, and they have been nothing but helpful. I am currently planning an individual visit with them, and they've kindly answered my frequent emails and questions. It may be worth striking up a working relationship if you are concerned about the lower level of communication. All it can do is show your continued interest and get your questions answered at the same time (provided, of course, you don't sound like a crazed person).

Best of luck to everyone still waiting.
Hey, are you meeting with them to negotiate scholarships?

ayl

Bronze

Post by ayl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:44 pm

Lwoods1020 wrote:Hey, are you meeting with them to negotiate scholarships?
No, just getting more information about the school. I don't think I will truly negotiate scholarships at any point, but I have let them know of my interest should any additional funds be available after the commitment deadline. They stressed that their budget is very tight, and since I'm an SC state employee myself (and have some understanding of the strict budge we're all under), I believe they are genuine in saying they have very little room to increase standing offers. Again, they were very kind in explaining all of this, although it may come off as dismissive if read the wrong way. I think the most negotiating I will do will begin in the summer, and even so, I'm not expecting much, if any, change.

(Sorry for the commas. I have a particular affinity for them.)

kellohitty

Bronze

Post by kellohitty » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:11 pm

Received my letter today. No scholly info included. It will be difficult at this point to wait much longer on SC, considering my offers everywhere else.

luke6028

New

Post by luke6028 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:30 pm

No scholarship info in my letter either... I also wish they had more than one accepted student's day...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lwoods1020

Bronze

Post by Lwoods1020 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:41 am

I called and spoke to dean of admissions and asked for scholarship reconsideration and he like legit laughed

ayl

Bronze

Post by ayl » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:00 pm

Lwoods1020 wrote:I called and spoke to dean of admissions and asked for scholarship reconsideration and he like legit laughed
Dean Wilcox? Perhaps you should have written an email. I wouldn't ask for a raise via phone call, so I wouldn't ask for a scholarship reconsideration over the phone either. Also, didn't you already ask a few months ago? Maybe you were asking about their policies and retaking - I can't quite recall.

In speaking with one of the Deans, they work under a very tight budget, and often are unable to increase scholarships amount. Making a case for yourself in writing (not asking - making a clear case as to why you deserve more money) and trying again closer to deposit, or even after, will likely be a better bet.

allenea

New

Post by allenea » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:04 pm

I would be shocked if scholarships were available to many.
Last edited by allenea on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lwoods1020

Bronze

Post by Lwoods1020 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:00 pm

ayl wrote:
Lwoods1020 wrote:I called and spoke to dean of admissions and asked for scholarship reconsideration and he like legit laughed
Dean Wilcox? Perhaps you should have written an email. I wouldn't ask for a raise via phone call, so I wouldn't ask for a scholarship reconsideration over the phone either. Also, didn't you already ask a few months ago? Maybe you were asking about their policies and retaking - I can't quite recall.

In speaking with one of the Deans, they work under a very tight budget, and often are unable to increase scholarships amount. Making a case for yourself in writing (not asking - making a clear case as to why you deserve more money) and trying again closer to deposit, or even after, will likely be a better bet.
I had spoken to Dean Hutchison and he told me to call him when I got my LSAT score back. That is why I did not write a letter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

1cdixon

New

Post by 1cdixon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:54 pm

I'm in! From complete file to admitted students day email, it was less than 24 hours. Extremely quick for me. When I received the email about admitted students day, I gave them a call to confirm that what I was reading was true. Still waiting on official letter and possible scholarship information. I also wish they had a second date for Admitted Students Day. However, I called them and they encouraged me to plan an individual visit. I'm not from anywhere near South Carolina, so if anyone has suggestions on 1-bedroom apartments then it would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to meet ya'll!

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:28 pm

Haven't gotten the package in the mail yet, but I got the email for ASD on the 22nd. Maybe I will see some of you there.

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:05 pm

1cdixon wrote:I'm in! From complete file to admitted students day email, it was less than 24 hours. Extremely quick for me. When I received the email about admitted students day, I gave them a call to confirm that what I was reading was true. Still waiting on official letter and possible scholarship information. I also wish they had a second date for Admitted Students Day. However, I called them and they encouraged me to plan an individual visit. I'm not from anywhere near South Carolina, so if anyone has suggestions on 1-bedroom apartments then it would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to meet ya'll!
Jeez, when did you apply. I am a late applicant and went complete in about 2 days ago. lol, such a turn around would be nice for me.

Knp

New

Post by Knp » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:25 pm

Can anyone here attest to the reputation of SC Law? I am sure it has mostly in state recognition, but would like to hear from anyone currently enrolled or has friends/family graduates.

I have been accepted to SC law but do not plan on living in South Carolina after graduation. Would like to stay in the south though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lwoods1020

Bronze

Post by Lwoods1020 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Knp wrote:Can anyone here attest to the reputation of SC Law? I am sure it has mostly in state recognition, but would like to hear from anyone currently enrolled or has friends/family graduates.

I have been accepted to SC law but do not plan on living in South Carolina after graduation. Would like to stay in the south though.

A good amount of graduates work in Georgia and North Carolina

Lwoods1020

Bronze

Post by Lwoods1020 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:39 pm

1cdixon wrote:I'm in! From complete file to admitted students day email, it was less than 24 hours. Extremely quick for me. When I received the email about admitted students day, I gave them a call to confirm that what I was reading was true. Still waiting on official letter and possible scholarship information. I also wish they had a second date for Admitted Students Day. However, I called them and they encouraged me to plan an individual visit. I'm not from anywhere near South Carolina, so if anyone has suggestions on 1-bedroom apartments then it would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to meet ya'll!
I went there for undergrad and I would say cheap, but pretty nice apartments (its a 13-15 min drive to campus but there's a shuttle) would be Copper Beech
or Hampton Greene / Hampton Court

Why don't you want to live with other law students?

Lwoods1020

Bronze

Post by Lwoods1020 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:39 pm

Has anyone thought about housing and the roommate list yet?

kellohitty

Bronze

Post by kellohitty » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:12 pm

Knp wrote:Can anyone here attest to the reputation of SC Law? I am sure it has mostly in state recognition, but would like to hear from anyone currently enrolled or has friends/family graduates.

It's a great school if you want to stay in state. However, your prospects outside of South Carolina aren't great. According to LST, 4% of C/O 2012 grads ended up in Georgia and 11% in North Carolina. If you're adamant about leaving South Carolina after graduation, it might be best to look into other schools.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kellohitty

Bronze

Post by kellohitty » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:18 pm

My SO lives at the Club at Carolina Stadium. It's pretty nice and a bike ride to campus, but they offer shuttles as well. It's right across from the baseball stadium. He lives in a 3 bedroom apartment with a few other guys but they offer some 1 bedroom apartments at a pretty reasonable price. The infrastructure keeps out a lot of noise from neighbors, which is the biggest factor in choosing an apartment for me.

ayl

Bronze

Post by ayl » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:47 pm

As far as the reputation question, I have talked to several practicing attorneys and professors (both who went to USC and didn't, some are friends, one is my Pops, some are colleagues of his) about this now, and I'll pass on what they've said. If you're looking at the various rankings, you already know the school is not high up there, so for national recognition, no, it's not quite great. However, if you plan to practice in South Carolina, it's almost a requirement that you go to USC (almost).

Firms will hold spots exclusively for graduates of USC, and the SC Bar is so small, this is pretty much with whom you will practice/argue against/etc. for the rest of your career. That latter point being made, networking is huge in getting jobs, and if you're staying in the state, you have many opportunities to network with alumni and partners (probably one and the same). I'm not sure how much those chances extend outside of this little bubble. If you're convinced you'd like to practice in SC, absolutely give it a chance; if not, if you have an in with a more regionally-powerful school, I would give that a good look before making a final decision.

1cdixon

New

Post by 1cdixon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:19 pm

Lwoods1020 wrote:
I went there for undergrad and I would say cheap, but pretty nice apartments (its a 13-15 min drive to campus but there's a shuttle) would be Copper Beech
or Hampton Greene / Hampton Court

Why don't you want to live with other law students?
I'd just rather live by myself. I'll be around fellow law students enough and I've had a 1-bedroom for 3 years of undergrad. I just can't bring myself to live with anyone else. I like having my own space, my things, and nobody else to mess with them. I'm also a neat freak and roommates tend to be messy. lol.

1cdixon

New

Post by 1cdixon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:21 pm

BankruptMe wrote:
Jeez, when did you apply. I am a late applicant and went complete in about 2 days ago. lol, such a turn around would be nice for me.
I applied on February 24th and a decision was made on March 5th. I also received my Admitted Students email on the 5th. And, if you read the fine print, it says you're in without having to wait on the paper letter. I even called them to confirm. Mine was a super fast turnaround.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”