Drexel University C/O 2017 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mauve.Dino

Re: Drexel University C/O 2017 Applicants

Postby Mauve.Dino » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:41 am

Snowboarder1588 wrote:

Awesome! Will probably see you on campus this Fall. I'm actually leaning towards the 2 year program. Anyone else thinking about going that route?

I'm not sure I should even be posting in this thread, because I'm not applying this cycle (need a higher LSAT score to combat my terrible GPA), but I am curious about their two year program, as well. Drexel has an amazing coop program for undergrads, at least, so I can't imagine it being any different for law students. The rankings--though they should mean nothing--are a bit disappointing, but it is a newer law school. Given the already-established reputation of Drexel as a decent undergrad/grad institution, I'm hoping that their law school's rep will eventually follow suit.

Good luck to all! :)

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:18 am

Does anyone know if we have an admitted student facebook group yet?

kandi007

Postby kandi007 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:39 pm

I was accepted last Friday...found out right before I was about to board a cruise ship for spring break.

3 year program with $. only 1 $ though they are not giving me as much as others I see but I applied later in the cycle. Ill be at ASW this weekend as well, waiting on hear from them regarding reimbursement for the hotel.

jerseyjoe83

Postby jerseyjoe83 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:55 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:Does anyone know if we have an admitted student facebook group yet?

I looked and didn't see anything. As dead as this forum seems to be I'm not too sure how much of a response it would get.

jerseyjoe83

Postby jerseyjoe83 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:58 pm

kandi007 wrote:I was accepted last Friday...found out right before I was about to board a cruise ship for spring break.

3 year program with $. only 1 $ though they are not giving me as much as others I see but I applied later in the cycle. Ill be at ASW this weekend as well, waiting on hear from them regarding reimbursement for the hotel.

Congrats- I live in Philly so I didn't attend the ASW reception the weekend I went or have any travel stuff reimbursed, but just from talking to the people who did it seemed like a pretty painless process. I think you just need to bring receipts to give to them. All the admissions people were there and very approachable to answer questions so it should be easy enough.

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:53 pm

jerseyjoe83 wrote:
Snowboarder1588 wrote:Does anyone know if we have an admitted student facebook group yet?

I looked and didn't see anything. As dead as this forum seems to be I'm not too sure how much of a response it would get.

Lol...I think I'm gonna email admissions and see if they plan on doing it, otherwise I might just do it.

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:12 am

Employment numbers for the class of 2013 are up!

http://drexel.edu/law/career/statistics ... 0Outcomes/

Slight improvment from prior year; moved from about 46% from C/O 2012 to 50% for the C/O 2013 for full time permanant legal jobs.

kandi007

Postby kandi007 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:29 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:Employment numbers for the class of 2013 are up!

Slight improvment from prior year; moved from about 46% from C/O 2012 to 50% for the C/O 2013 for full time permanant legal jobs.

Good to hear. Everyday Drexel is looking better and better to me. Deadline for me to submit my seat deposit is 4/15 if I don't hear anything from these other schools Drexel is where its at. I do need to see if I can negotiate this scholarship though, guess its my fault for applying so late. I'm really excited for ASW this weekend to check the school out in person

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:45 pm

Good to hear. Everyday Drexel is looking better and better to me. Deadline for me to submit my seat deposit is 4/15 if I don't hear anything from these other schools Drexel is where its at. I do need to see if I can negotiate this scholarship though, guess its my fault for applying so late. I'm really excited for ASW this weekend to check the school out in person[/quote]

I'm sure you'll enjoy ASW; it was fun and informative for me. For anyone who thinks there is a good liklyhood that you'll be at Drexel this May (for AJD) or August (traditional JD) join the conversation in the TLS C/O 2017 forum at:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=225713

RunningFeatherFinish

Postby RunningFeatherFinish » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:48 pm

Kandi - I negotiated with them last week and it took them a day to send me a new scholarship letter after I showed them an in-state offer. Good luck! I'll be at ASW this weekend as well.

jerseyjoe83

Postby jerseyjoe83 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:36 pm

kandi007 wrote:
Snowboarder1588 wrote:Employment numbers for the class of 2013 are up!

Good to hear. Everyday Drexel is looking better and better to me. Deadline for me to submit my seat deposit is 4/15 if I don't hear anything from these other schools Drexel is where its at. I do need to see if I can negotiate this scholarship though, guess its my fault for applying so late. I'm really excited for ASW this weekend to check the school out in person

So just something to consider when looking at these employment numbers- you should consider the J.D. advantage category as a positive outcome in my opinion. Drexel has a very good reputation here for their medical education, and healthcare risk managers tend to all have a J.D. though they don't practice law so few sit for the bar. Many people seeking to advance in healthcare risk management would attend law school with no plan on ever becoming an admitted attorney, and I feel with their robust health law concentration and joint degree programs in psych, this is the lion's share of their J.D. advantage numbers. For the record at ASW they were pretty candid too about the fact that some of the work to find a job has to be done by the candidate- and though they do a lot, the school can only do so much. For students who don't intern anywhere or take advantage of co-op and clinical opportunities the job hunt will understandably be more difficult without having done any networking.

I actually appreciated this because it was to the point, devoid of fluff, and also addresses a certain air of entitlement that pops up from time to time regarding jobs. As for the scholly, I found they were really receptive to working with me- I emailed them my concerns and laid out what would aid me to be confident in choosing their program over others. The next day I had an email from them that was ideal for me- it seems most people have had a similar experience. If you have any questions about the city or anything feel free to ask- I've been living and working here for the past 3 years.

kandi007

Postby kandi007 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:16 pm

RunningFeatherFinish wrote:Kandi - I negotiated with them last week and it took them a day to send me a new scholarship letter after I showed them an in-state offer. Good luck! I'll be at ASW this weekend as well.

This is where I messed up- I know they do in state tuition match BUT I'm so determined to get out of Virginia I didn't apply to any in state schools-although I'm thinking of applying just for the instate tuition match. Once I do that then I will see about negotiating the scholarship- glad to hear your negotiation worked out though. So far I am loving the fast responses coming from Drexel

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:40 pm

kandi007 wrote:
RunningFeatherFinish wrote:Kandi - I negotiated with them last week and it took them a day to send me a new scholarship letter after I showed them an in-state offer. Good luck! I'll be at ASW this weekend as well.

This is where I messed up- I know they do in state tuition match BUT I'm so determined to get out of Virginia I didn't apply to any in state schools-although I'm thinking of applying just for the instate tuition match. Once I do that then I will see about negotiating the scholarship- glad to hear your negotiation worked out though. So far I am loving the fast responses coming from Drexel

Do you have any better scholarship offers from any other schools that you can leverage? Also, I'm a little confused about you mentioning getting out of VA as a reason for not applying to schools in PA. I'm pretty sure the in-state tuition match will only work if you were a PA resident who was accepted to a PA public school (say Temple), which even with no scholarship would put you at about 19K/year tuition; this would trigger Drexel to offer you a scholly to match the cost of tuition of Temple. If you guys think it means something else please share your input. Eitherway, even if you have no other offers to negotiate but you are interested in attending, I strongly believe that you should attend ASW, make your interest in the school very apparent, and you can always send a nice email stating financial need and that if tuition cost $X it would make it a really viable decision. The worst they could say is no.

wob

Postby wob » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Is anyone going to the April 12th ASW? I have to say, I'm so impressed with the love Drexel seems to show its admits.

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:14 pm

wob wrote:Is anyone going to the April 12th ASW? I have to say, I'm so impressed with the love Drexel seems to show its admits.

I went to the one on March 8th and had a blast. Are they having a mixer at city hall Friday night? I wish I was able to atten that because it sounds like it was fun. Anyway, the day event was really impressive. Dean/Prof Filler's mock class is awesome; he's funny and charismatic.

wob

Postby wob » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:47 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:
wob wrote:Is anyone going to the April 12th ASW? I have to say, I'm so impressed with the love Drexel seems to show its admits.

I went to the one on March 8th and had a blast. Are they having a mixer at city hall Friday night? I wish I was able to atten that because it sounds like it was fun. Anyway, the day event was really impressive. Dean/Prof Filler's mock class is awesome; he's funny and charismatic.

That's cool. I will look out for him. Did you hang out in Philly after everything was over? Any idea for things to hit up?

kandi007

Postby kandi007 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:09 pm

wob wrote:
Snowboarder1588 wrote:

That's cool. I will look out for him. Did you hang out in Philly after everything was over? Any idea for things to hit up?

Because the hotel is in center city I stayed down there and basically just hit up bars..I walked down to south street and then strolled around some of the neighborhoods they suggested moving to.

I did go to a bar called time...about 2 blocks from the hotel and listened to some jazz. The band was amazing, def recommend.

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:14 pm

I live locally so I didn't stay at a hotel. But if they have you guys staying in center city, then walk over 13th st and chestnut area and 13th st and locust ; bunch of bars and amazing food spots within walking distance. You can always check out Rittenhouse square area but that tends to be a little pricey though.

goldenbears2013

Postby goldenbears2013 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:24 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:

I totally agree. I went to ASW this past weekend (flew out from California for it) and it was awesome. I also missed the reception Friday night (I heard they served filet mignon and shrimp...damnit), but the event on Saturday was a lot of fun. I agree that Filler's class was bomb.

I had a blast exploring Philly for the first time. Hotel was in Center City, quick walk to the Liberty Bell and such. And the bars I went to had CHEAAAAAP drinks.

99% sure that I will be committing to Drexel after this weekend

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:29 pm

LOL I'm from California as well, so when I first moved here I loved how everything was cheaper including drinks at bars! Glad I wont be the only CA native in the incoming class! Although I'm committing to the 2 yr AJD, how about you goldenbears2013 are you doing 2 or 3 yr program?

goldenbears2013

Postby goldenbears2013 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:49 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:LOL I'm from California as well, so when I first moved here I loved how everything was cheaper including drinks at bars! Glad I wont be the only CA native in the incoming class! Although I'm committing to the 2 yr AJD, how about you goldenbears2013 are you doing 2 or 3 yr program?

Lol nice-- where in CA?

I'm doing 3 year

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:59 pm

goldenbears2013 wrote:
Snowboarder1588 wrote:LOL I'm from California as well, so when I first moved here I loved how everything was cheaper including drinks at bars! Glad I wont be the only CA native in the incoming class! Although I'm committing to the 2 yr AJD, how about you goldenbears2013 are you doing 2 or 3 yr program?

Lol nice-- where in CA?

I'm doing 3 year

I'm from Southern California, so although the weather can be brutal during winter, Philly is an awesome city. I'm assuming that you are from NorCal? Did you go to Cal? My SO went there and the Cal alumni club out here is pretty big, they'll make you feel right at home.

goldenbears2013

Postby goldenbears2013 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:18 am

Snowboarder1588 wrote:
goldenbears2013 wrote:

Lol nice-- where in CA?

I'm doing 3 year

I'm from Southern California, so although the weather can be brutal during winter, Philly is an awesome city. I'm assuming that you are from NorCal? Did you go to Cal? My SO went there and the Cal alumni club out here is pretty big, they'll make you feel right at home.

I'm from Southern California as well, actually. I did go to Cal. Glad to know that there are some fellow Golden Bears out there!

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:23 pm

Doing the Webinar right now..great info! come join it if you are a Drexel candidate with questions:

http://media.irt.drexel.edu/Mediasite/P ... d0f501ea1d

goldenbears2013

Postby goldenbears2013 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:23 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:Doing the Webinar right now..great info! come join it if you are a Drexel candidate with questions:

http://media.irt.drexel.edu/Mediasite/P ... d0f501ea1d

Stuck at the office for another hour. Do you know if this will be archived somewhere for later viewing?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”