Drexel University C/O 2017 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Re: Drexel University C/O 2017 Applicants

Post by JazzieShizzle » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:43 am

mach9zero wrote:I applied early December and heard back within a few days - $40k/yr. That's appealing plain and simple. 8) Drexel still has a ways to go working its reputation up in Philadelphia, but with Villanova falling off due to a scandal and Temple showing lower than expected employment, Drexel has a real place to use it's co-op program to move grads into positions. I'm still weighing all my options, but there's a possibility you'll find me studying on Market St. next fall.
Congrats on the scholly!! What are your stats? I applied to Drexel 1-21-14 and haven't heard anything yet. (I also applied to Brooklyn at the same time and got accepted today!!)

mach9zero

Bronze

Post by mach9zero » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:39 pm

162/3.6

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:07 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:Let's not turn this thread into a debate, but it's worth noting that according to LST Temple's employment score is 52%, Villanova's is 51.2% and Drexel's is 46.5%. Essentially what I'm saying is that after Penn, it's really a coin toss and you should choose your cheapest option between these schools. I see Drexel as a place with equity for the future. Drexel University is well regarded on the East Coast and very prestigious in the Philly area. The law school has some work to do, but if you want to be in Philly, Drexel is a great option.
I'm with you, Snowboarder. Haters gonna hate, but I like Drexel. It's the lowest-ranked school I applied to, but there's much more to consider than rank, and I think their rank is sure to improve over time.

Got admitted today w/$$ :) I found out through the status checker then found my acceptance email in the spam folder...

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:22 am

JazzieShizzle wrote:
Snowboarder1588 wrote:Let's not turn this thread into a debate, but it's worth noting that according to LST Temple's employment score is 52%, Villanova's is 51.2% and Drexel's is 46.5%. Essentially what I'm saying is that after Penn, it's really a coin toss and you should choose your cheapest option between these schools. I see Drexel as a place with equity for the future. Drexel University is well regarded on the East Coast and very prestigious in the Philly area. The law school has some work to do, but if you want to be in Philly, Drexel is a great option.
I'm with you, Snowboarder. Haters gonna hate, but I like Drexel. It's the lowest-ranked school I applied to, but there's much more to consider than rank, and I think their rank is sure to improve over time.

Got admitted today w/$$ :) I found out through the status checker then found my acceptance email in the spam folder...

Congrats! Did you apply for the 2 or 3 year program?

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:17 am

Snowboarder1588 wrote:
JazzieShizzle wrote:

Congrats! Did you apply for the 2 or 3 year program?
3 year.

btw, my status checker never indicated that my file was under review, so I was surprised to see the acceptance :o

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:59 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:This is interesting:

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia ... chool.html

It sounds like they are looking for even more money. BTW the offer I got was fantastic, and their stip was "maintaining good academic standing" which is a great thing.
I got the same stip. Could it really mean that all I have to do is not fail a class? That seems too good to be true!

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:12 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:
Snowboarder1588 wrote:This is interesting:

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia ... chool.html

It sounds like they are looking for even more money. BTW the offer I got was fantastic, and their stip was "maintaining good academic standing" which is a great thing.
I got the same stip. Could it really mean that all I have to do is not fail a class? That seems too good to be true!
I think I read somewhere on the Drexel site or handbook that good standing requires a 2.20 cumulative GPA, which really isn't that bad. The curve is around 2.95.

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:44 am

Honestly if you are below 2.20 at any law school, dropping out might be the best option...below 2.95 at Drexel and the future isn't too bright.

goldenbears2013

New

Post by goldenbears2013 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:06 pm

First time posting here. My numbers were super eh-- 3.22 GPA from my undergrad, Berkeley, and a 156 LSAT.

Applied to around 20 schools (all in T2, with a couple of exceptions). Drexel was the lowest ranked school I applied to (I, like many of you, didn't even know they had a law school). Honestly, the only reason I applied was an email they sent out that was basically like "We're better than our ranking and you're better than your LSAT score". I was like, "Hell yes I am!" and applied.

Checked my spam folder for the first time in ages and saw that I was in with $28K/year (2.95 GPA stip). This isn't a school that I would have even considered before, but, the more I am reading, the more I like. I think the school will continue to rise in the rankings in the future.

Anyways, excited to fly out on 3/22 for ASD to see the school (I'm from CA). Anyone else going on that day?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:06 am

goldenbears2013 wrote:First time posting here. My numbers were super eh-- 3.22 GPA from my undergrad, Berkeley, and a 156 LSAT.

Applied to around 20 schools (all in T2, with a couple of exceptions). Drexel was the lowest ranked school I applied to (I, like many of you, didn't even know they had a law school). Honestly, the only reason I applied was an email they sent out that was basically like "We're better than our ranking and you're better than your LSAT score". I was like, "Hell yes I am!" and applied.

Checked my spam folder for the first time in ages and saw that I was in with $28K/year (2.95 GPA stip). This isn't a school that I would have even considered before, but, the more I am reading, the more I like. I think the school will continue to rise in the rankings in the future.

Anyways, excited to fly out on 3/22 for ASD to see the school (I'm from CA). Anyone else going on that day?
lmao that email made me laugh, and your post just made me laugh again lol

I will be there on 3-22 as well!

goldenbears2013

New

Post by goldenbears2013 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:55 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:
goldenbears2013 wrote:First time posting here. My numbers were super eh-- 3.22 GPA from my undergrad, Berkeley, and a 156 LSAT.

lmao that email made me laugh, and your post just made me laugh again lol

I will be there on 3-22 as well!
Awesomesauce! I'll see you there :)

CountryRoads

New

Post by CountryRoads » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:26 pm

In with a 159/3.3 and got some $$$

Thinking of sticking with the 2 year program
Last edited by CountryRoads on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

vicstory

New

Post by vicstory » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:25 pm

I just got accepted to the PhD portion of the JD/PhD program. That means you will definitely see me on campus next year!! So excited!! :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:41 pm

I haven't applied, but I received an email saying that Drexel will match the cost of any In-State school which I am accepted to. This makes it an intresting option, and I thought it might be worth sharing in case it could be used as a bargaining tool for some of you who are OOS and have been accepted.

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:01 pm

vicstory wrote:I just got accepted to the PhD portion of the JD/PhD program. That means you will definitely see me on campus next year!! So excited!! :mrgreen:
So jealous! I wanted to apply for that program, but then I eventually decided not to...
Maybe I can complete the program vicariously through you? :?: haha seriously though, congrats! :D

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:25 pm

vicstory wrote:I just got accepted to the PhD portion of the JD/PhD program. That means you will definitely see me on campus next year!! So excited!! :mrgreen:
Congrats! What program for the PhD? While Drexel was originally an afterthought for me, the scholarship and 2-year option are making it a lot more attractive than getting $100k in debt for a Tier 1, so you may see me there this year. I'll definitely be there on 3/8 for ASD. Hope to see some of you there.

mach9zero

Bronze

Post by mach9zero » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:39 pm

It's a JD/PhD in Psychology. Program takes seven years, with a "a year-long internship in a mental health/forensic setting, a master’s thesis, a dissertation, a co-op placement in a legal setting and 50 hours of pro bono service in the law."

http://drexel.edu/law/academics/jointDe ... law_psych/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vicstory

New

Post by vicstory » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:27 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:
So jealous! I wanted to apply for that program, but then I eventually decided not to...
Maybe I can complete the program vicariously through you? :?: haha seriously though, congrats! :D
Thank you so much! It's interesting bc I applied to all JD/PhD programs and while Drexel's law school is pretty low-ranked, their clinical psychology program is to die for. It was a long shot.... like really long shot, but I'm happy I made it!

And we'll still be in the same cohort if you do attend so perhaps I'll see you on campus!

jfern

New

Post by jfern » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:57 pm

I was just accepted into their 3-year program and offered their Rising Advocate Scholarship (40k per year, must maintain good academic standing). Drexel is one of my safeties. I'd applied to have a fallback in case finances didn't allow me to move out of state. So for anyone interested in attending Drexel, I'll probably withdraw in the near future and free up some money for you, hopefully.

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:43 pm

Anyone else planning on attending ASW next weekend?

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 am

Do we have a Class of 2017 (2016 for 2 year JD) facebook page?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wob

New

Post by wob » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 pm

In with 40k scholarship! No one else has shown me that much love.

What is the Drexel Law area of Philly like?

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:24 pm

wob wrote:In with 40k scholarship! No one else has shown me that much love.

What is the Drexel Law area of Philly like?
Congrats! Where do you currently live? Drexel seems like an up and coming school. Employment numbers are on par with other regional schools so for the right price and right goals it's a great option. Also their co-op program is really great. I currently live in the Philly area let me know what questions you have.

On that note I attended the ASW on Saturday. It was amazing. I have to say I'm impressed with the school and faculty. Almost certain that I'll be matriculating into the 2 yr program soon!

jerseyjoe83

New

Post by jerseyjoe83 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:03 pm

So I committed and dropped my seat deposit yesterday for the 3 year program after attending ASD. Honestly Drexel was my safety school, but the $$$ with no stip as well as the clinical opportunities with the Defender Association made it the right choice for me. For anyone from out of the area with questions about Philly in general, rent, safety etc feel free to ask. I've been living/working in the city for 3 years and love it (originally from North Jersey). Also for those of you looking into the JD/PhD program in psych, if you have any questions about psych stuff in the city feel free as well- I currently work for one of the psych hospitals that works with externship students in a role that has me very involved with what they do and PA as well as Philly in particular have some unique mental health mechanisms.

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:44 pm

jerseyjoe83 wrote:So I committed and dropped my seat deposit yesterday for the 3 year program after attending ASD. Honestly Drexel was my safety school, but the $$$ with no stip as well as the clinical opportunities with the Defender Association made it the right choice for me. For anyone from out of the area with questions about Philly in general, rent, safety etc feel free to ask. I've been living/working in the city for 3 years and love it (originally from North Jersey). Also for those of you looking into the JD/PhD program in psych, if you have any questions about psych stuff in the city feel free as well- I currently work for one of the psych hospitals that works with externship students in a role that has me very involved with what they do and PA as well as Philly in particular have some unique mental health mechanisms.

Awesome! Will probably see you on campus this Fall. I'm actually leaning towards the 2 year program. Anyone else thinking about going that route?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”